HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jordan Schroeder Thread

Old
03-22-2010, 11:11 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I heard somewhere that Connauton would be back with the Giants next year, so I chose to leave him off that list. But of course, I'd love for him to prove me wrong I just think that if he turns pro and he struggles with the Moose because his defensive play is lacking against bigger and smarter opponents, then he might sent down to Victoria - I don't really have confidence in their coach. If that was going to be the case then I'd much rather he spend another year learning under Don Hay.

It's also nice to have Baumgartner mentoring your D-men prospects, with all his experience. But the way that he played on his call-up to Vancouver earlier on was pretty scary, with a multitude of heart-stopping giveaways in his own zone. His offence is nice, but we didn't really call him up to provide that. I'm just hoping he doesn't teach the young D-men playing for the Moose next year all the wrong ways to play a certain situation, but that could just be an irrational fear of mine only.

On the other hand, it sounds like the Moose love Ramsey and how he's played for them, so expect to see him with Manitoba next year too. I'm still kind of wishing they could have signed Dylan Yeo last offseason, but maybe he wanted to sign with a team that was "perceived" to be not as deep in D-men (Hershey). It would also be great if Nycholat was back too, since he is basically their No. 1 D-man and can run the PP and shut people down.
I know you're not the one thinking this, but I just don't get this idea that Connauton somehow isn't ready for the Moose next season. The AHL *exists* for guys like him: skilled, tough prospects who have dominated in the CHL.

If Connauton isn't ready for the Moose, who the hell is???

The guy hits, fights, and scores a ton. He's a force of nature in the Dub. The fact that he isn't
polished enough defensively is why he's bound for Manitoba, not Vancouver yet. A big part of Arniel's job is to prepare quality prospects for the NHL, which is why Connauton will be in Manitoba next season, like Schroeder, Sauve, and maybe Hodgson too if he doesn't make the Canucks right away. Fun times for the fans in Winnipeg!

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:15 PM
kanuck87

It's times like these where I want our farm team in Abbotsford instead of the frickin Flames. We should trade farm team locations with them. We get Abbotsford, the get Winnipeg.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:18 PM
tesplen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
It's times like these where I want our farm team in Abbotsford instead of the frickin Flames. We should trade farm team locations with them. We get Abbotsford, the get Winnipeg.
I agree with this

Just swap all the players for both franchises, problem solved!

Then you have the Canucks, Abbotsford & Victoria all in close, convenient proximity

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:26 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
somehow I doubt the Canucks organization would at all be interested in moving farms from a top end AHL city (which thinks it's NHL worthy) with a top end arena, to a town like Abbotsford.

There is just much more potential for revenue in Winnipeg, which leads to more money available to put back into the team... this has helped in being able to pay better coaches and trainers there, not to mention having the money to make deals they did for Jason Krog and other top AHLers.

The Canucks should consider themselves lucky to have a farm team in a top AHL destination.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:32 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
somehow I doubt the Canucks organization would at all be interested in moving farms from a top end AHL city (which thinks it's NHL worthy) with a top end arena, to a town like Abbotsford.

There is just much more potential for revenue in Winnipeg, which leads to more money available to put back into the team... this has helped in being able to pay better coaches and trainers there, not to mention having the money to make deals they did for Jason Krog and other top AHLers.

The Canucks should consider themselves lucky to have a farm team in a top AHL destination.
For Canuck fans, it would be awesome to be able to see some of the top prospects, since we actually have prospects worth mentioning, but that's what I figured was the case. Money was playing a huge factor in this. I'm lazy to check, but I would take a guess that the Moose have one of the higher attendance rates in the entire AHL.

Old
03-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Winnipeg will get an NHL franchise within the next two years I figure - Salmon Kings will become Canucks AHL affliate.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:23 AM
forty47seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
I agree with this

Then you have the Canucks, Abbotsford & Victoria all in close, convenient proximity
Can we keep Craig Heisinger, too? He has an eye for talent.

forty47seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Filiatron

Quote:
There's a selfish part of me that wishes for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

Not to mention that our prospects get training in front of a crowd and media contingent that is more rabid than many NHL cities. That attention and pressure is perfect training for what future prospects can expect in Vancouver.
I think that when Heisinger is facored in, we have the best situation in Winnipeg.

Filiatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Schroeder View Post
There's a selfish part of me that wishes for this.

Not to mention that our prospects get training in front of a crowd and media contingent that is more rabid than many NHL cities. That attention and pressure is perfect training for what future prospects can expect in Vancouver.
I think that when Heisinger is facored in, we have the best situation in Winnipeg.
Yeah, this is huge. There is little jump in pressure and they learn to deal with the spotlight.

However, if Winnipeg does in fact get an NHL franchise, the Canucks might be more inclined to snag Abbotsford or even push hard for Victoria. The WHL wants to stay out of Victoria due to the ferries but I can't see that being a holdup for the AHL.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
I agree with this

Problem is them all Canuck players are subject to horrible travel and little practice time.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I'm a little surprised Kris Fredheim hasn't been signed to an ATO yet. I thought he had a pretty strong senior year, and with the Moose's many shortcomings on D this year that he would at least be worth a look.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Alright, for all the people *****ing that Schroeder only scored his goals against an awful team, from the main boards so I assume Oilers fans, I guess we'll see what he does against one of the best.
its leaf fans

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Well he was a business and marketing education major, so he's had some exposure to economics during his time at the University of Minnesota

Anyways...any news on a feed for tonights game? Should be interesting to see how Schroeder does against stiffer AHL competition. Tonight should be a real test...hope he responds well.
Possible live feed:
http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-...ue.php?w=Moose

Here is the menu for today if it changes:
http://www.channelsurfing.net/

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:55 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post

Anyways...any news on a feed for tonights game?
ATDHE.net has it listed.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Alright, for all the people *****ing that Schroeder only scored his goals against an awful team, from the main boards so I assume Oilers fans, I guess we'll see what he does against one of the best.
But that game was said to be one of the most physical games the Moose had all season... THe penalties were numerous (hence schroeder's 13 minutes of icetime).

To be able to go in there and score 2 goals its amazing! Excited for today's game!

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Velociraptor

Schroeder looked great, he's a solid prospect guys. He is small, but I think with another year of development he could be a fantastic hockey player.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Someone should start a Moose GDT for today, I'm actually looking forward to watching the game today as well.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Someone should start a Moose GDT for today, I'm actually looking forward to watching the game today as well.
do it balls!

start it up

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

what times is the game? 5:30?

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 753
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
that awful team (Grand Rapids) has been hurt by Detroits injuries this season. Now that Detroit is getting healthy again Grand Rapids is a stronger team than it was most of the season. But im guessing those leaf fans are just looking for something to grab on to when Shroeder has a strong debut. We all know D'Amigo is gonna put up a hatrick against the top AHL team in his pro debut.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Red

Schroeder with a primary assist on Nycholat's goal to make it 1-1 4 minutes into the game.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:55 PM
kanuck87

I'm finding it harder to not smile everytime I read this thread. A far cry from the rest of the threads on this forum

What's Schroeder's ceiling like? Zach Parise maybe?

Old
03-24-2010, 08:58 PM
pitseleh

Parise is a pretty high standard - he's one of the best players in the league. Maybe Ray Whitney would be a good comparable for Schroeder's optimistic top end? Schroeder will be more of a playmaker though.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:59 PM
VanEric

A lot of people say Pavol Demitra from back when Demo was at best.

I'd say his NHL upside is a second liner who is on your first PP unit.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
kanuck87

Would equally be ecstatic if he could turn out to be a Whitney or a Demitra.

It sounds like he he's having no problems adjusting to bigger guys and more physical play, which was one of the bigger questions surrounding his future.