HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Awesome Article. Kovy tells it like it is...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2010, 06:41 PM
  #1
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
Awesome Article. Kovy tells it like it is...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521224

Bits and pieces:

"The expectation is different, that's for sure," said Kovalchuk, "I don't want to just be in the playoffs. That's not my goal. You want to win and I think everyone in this locker room is on the same page so that's very important. I wish Atlanta is going to make the playoffs and go far because I have all great memories for that team, but I'm part of the Devils now."

Jacques Lemaire called a team meeting that turned into a players-only meeting following the Devils' winless swing through Western Canada. Kovalchuk couldn't believe it. Never before in his career had back-to-back road losses called for a team meeting. But he ate it up. He loved it.

"That's why you love hockey, because of the fans in the stands jumping," Kovalchuk said. "That's what I want. It's not fun when you play in front of 3,000 or 4,000 people. When it's sold out and you already know that before the game, that's how you want to play."


"The economy is bad and we all understand that, but the most important thing is we had to win in order to bring the fans into the stands," Kovalchuk said. "When you're a winner everybody likes you. It's tough, but I wish them well and hopefully they're going to do well because they have a lot of good young players. They'll be OK."


I stated early on that Kovy was feeling good about the team but didn't want to play at an empty house. The owners jacked the season ticket holders, the STH quit coming, Kovy left. I think he jacked his price up, not because of the quality on the ice, but the quantity in the stands. I really, really do.

Now, the owners MUST go about creating an NHL management to draw players to this franchise. They slashed the season ticket prices, now slash the current management and coaching staff to recreate something to look forward to for the jilted STH's.

PS....gotta give props to Kovy's maturity...."Kovalchuk has had to tell his younger Russian teammate to slow his Porsche down a few times."


Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 03-13-2010 at 06:59 PM.
ThrasherMinion is offline  
Old
03-14-2010, 09:48 AM
  #2
ArVeeDee
Registered User
 
ArVeeDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 500
Can't really argue with what he said. I remember attendance being better at Grrrowl games I wouldn't want to play in front of tiny crowds either.

ArVeeDee is offline  
Old
03-14-2010, 01:19 PM
  #3
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,230
vCash: 500
I totally agree with Kovy's reasoning. That being said, I still wish he would of started the season (or last summer) by letting Wad and Co. know that because of this, he wasn't going to budge from that joke of an $11.3 offer. Not saying that that would have rescued the season, but the return would have been way better and that distraction wouldn't have been around. Plus, Kovy would have been shipped off to greener pastures sooner.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
03-14-2010, 01:26 PM
  #4
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,669
vCash: 500
Well he isn't going to re-sign with NJ.

btn is offline  
Old
03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
  #5
Aaronxxx
Registered User
 
Aaronxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Well he isn't going to re-sign with NJ.
what makes you so sure?

Aaronxxx is offline  
Old
03-14-2010, 02:54 PM
  #6
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronxxx View Post
what makes you so sure?
If playing to a packed house is that important, he won't get that in Jersey.

btn is offline  
Old
03-14-2010, 02:59 PM
  #7
TasteofFlames
Registered User
 
TasteofFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Athens, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronxxx View Post
what makes you so sure?
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2006
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2007
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2008
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2009
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2010

3 out of the last 6 seasons, or half of the seasons since the lockout, the Thrashers have had higher attendance than the Devils, and they've been good for the whole time. If he is looking for sold out, loud crowds, NJD isn't goign to be his first choice. (Please note that the former statement is in now way a slight against the Devils organization, its player, or its fans.)

TasteofFlames is offline  
Old
03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
  #8
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
Kovy said start the negotiations after seeing the team was doing well enough. He also made the comment about seeing why the ownership was worried about the crowd size dwindling. While he was sitting out, he noticed the crowd. Then we went to NY and he met with his agent and I bet they discussed that point and Grossman probably seized on it to drive the price up and buy Kovy time to see if things would change after football season and it didn't.

I doubt the price was jacked up at the start of the season. DW knew he wanted to wait and that's why Don originally said by Christmas.

The talk among old STH was "we aren't buying tix again until Kovy is signed." Kovy's mindset was "I'm not signing until the crowds come back."

Catch 22. We the fans lost big time.

My fantasy: Devils win the Cup. Brodeur retires, Kovy comes back to Atlanta for 9 mil. with Afinogenov, Kubina, Ponikorovski and Vokoun and without White, Armstrong, MAcArthur, or Anderson!

PS.....team was much better defensively without Bogo tonight.

ThrasherMinion is offline  
Old
03-15-2010, 02:09 PM
  #9
Thrashers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
It is hard to believe there are actually teams in this league with worse attendance than the Thrashers. I am sure it sucks playing in front of 3K-4K fans a night. Part of it is Kovy fault. He never could lift his team to be a perennial playoff contender. For someone that want to the stars and moon to along with the highest salary. You need to at least make your team a playoff contender.

Thrashers is offline  
Old
03-15-2010, 02:18 PM
  #10
Telfo
THRASHERS
 
Telfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,874
vCash: 500
Kovy was the supposed leader... why wouldnt he be calling these players meetings?

sounds like he just wants to get paid his millions by a team that already good without him.


we definitely made a big mistake making him captain

Telfo is offline  
Old
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
  #11
Enstrom39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Kovy said start the negotiations after seeing the team was doing well enough. He also made the comment about seeing why the ownership was worried about the crowd size dwindling. While he was sitting out, he noticed the crowd. Then we went to NY and he met with his agent and I bet they discussed that point and Grossman probably seized on it to drive the price up and buy Kovy time to see if things would change after football season and it didn't.
That's a lot of wild speculation.

Perhaps he wanted the cap max from day one. Perhaps he figured if he waited until the Thrashers are in a playoff spot the ownership would give in to a cap max demand because they would not want to screw up a successful team risk alienating fans. It's not always about the money, but 90% of the times in sports it is about the money.

Only Kovy and Grossman knows what their strategy really was.

Enstrom39 is offline  
Old
03-15-2010, 06:13 PM
  #12
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
That's a lot of wild speculation.

Perhaps he wanted the cap max from day one. Perhaps he figured if he waited until the Thrashers are in a playoff spot the ownership would give in to a cap max demand because they would not want to screw up a successful team risk alienating fans. It's not always about the money, but 90% of the times in sports it is about the money.

Only Kovy and Grossman knows what their strategy really was.
I still can't believe he tossed the 'I love Atlanta, but I've got to look out for my wife and kids' line out the day before he was traded

DungeonK is offline  
Old
03-15-2010, 07:18 PM
  #13
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
That's a lot of wild speculation.

Perhaps he wanted the cap max from day one. Perhaps he figured if he waited until the Thrashers are in a playoff spot the ownership would give in to a cap max demand because they would not want to screw up a successful team risk alienating fans. It's not always about the money, but 90% of the times in sports it is about the money.

Only Kovy and Grossman knows what their strategy really was.
Ya, that was totally speculation on my part. I assumed that no one really thought I had any inside insight. Or outside outhouse for that matter.

Remember, it was posted around the height of the new Thrasher drinking game rules!!!

ThrasherMinion is offline  
Old
03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
  #14
Georgia Dawg
Registered User
 
Georgia Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
Kovy was the supposed leader... why wouldnt he be calling these players meetings?

sounds like he just wants to get paid his millions by a team that already good without him.


we definitely made a big mistake making him captain
That is the first thing I thought. Why did it have to be the coach? Why not the Captain? Hey, you were the Captain.

Georgia Dawg is offline  
Old
03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
  #15
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
Kovy was the supposed leader... why wouldnt he be calling these players meetings?

sounds like he just wants to get paid his millions by a team that already good without him.


we definitely made a big mistake making him captain
I don't the situation but I read somewhere that Kovy and Kozlov questioned JA about his coaching methods that he should have a 'traditional approach' to line combinations that the 'first two scoring lines' should get the majority of the ice time rather than having four rolling lines with a fairly equal amount split.

Obviously JA ignored this and continued to shuffle his combos almost every two games and run four lines.

I'm using this as a complete excuse but if you have a difference of opinion with the coach I can understand the reluctance in motivating your team as captains to enforce the coaches message.

I think there is definately some merit to the above with the recent benching of Kozlov. Even when he came back recently for that one game and scored a helper, he was benched the following game despite other players playing poorly and making the same mistakes (cough Armstrong) yet continuing to take their place in the lineup.

I believe that Kozlov is still looked on as a leader and he is still the first person on the ice to practice from recent reports from Vivalmore. It must be confusing for the younger players to see an old pro still working hard off the ice but can't get back into the lineup.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
03-15-2010, 08:17 PM
  #16
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
That is the first thing I thought. Why did it have to be the coach? Why not the Captain? Hey, you were the Captain.
great point.

ThrasherMinion is offline  
Old
03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
  #17
PIMking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Country: Germany
Posts: 559
vCash: 500
Kovy is a Rental that is all. He wont be back in NJ. look for a team like Calgary who will have cap room after some contracts come off the books or even Edmonton to give him some serious money.

PIMking is offline  
Old
03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
  #18
Ashe
Registered User
 
Ashe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saskatoon SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
I don't the situation but I read somewhere that Kovy and Kozlov questioned JA about his coaching methods that he should have a 'traditional approach' to line combinations that the 'first two scoring lines' should get the majority of the ice time rather than having four rolling lines with a fairly equal amount split.

Obviously JA ignored this and continued to shuffle his combos almost every two games and run four lines.

I'm using this as a complete excuse but if you have a difference of opinion with the coach I can understand the reluctance in motivating your team as captains to enforce the coaches message.

I think there is definately some merit to the above with the recent benching of Kozlov. Even when he came back recently for that one game and scored a helper, he was benched the following game despite other players playing poorly and making the same mistakes (cough Armstrong) yet continuing to take their place in the lineup.

I believe that Kozlov is still looked on as a leader and he is still the first person on the ice to practice from recent reports from Vivalmore. It must be confusing for the younger players to see an old pro still working hard off the ice but can't get back into the lineup.
So..because your manager is wanting you to make a raspberry smoothy for everyone, instead of a banana, You dont talk to your employees being the shift lead and promote how it goes because you dont like your managers choice?

Im sorry Kovy, We gave you 14 minutes of even strength, 10 minutes of power play time. We dont want to give you any god damn more time.

Ashe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.