HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Well, today I became a hockey player!

Old
03-06-2010, 01:52 PM
VickiUKHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Well, today I became a hockey player!

Yep, managed to go down to a training session with the local roller team. They had a spare kit and me and my friend were basically told, take turns in the skates etc and just get used to the gear for today.

I LOVED it, she LOVED it, we're going to go back as often as we can (she's starting a new job in a couple of weeks and since I don't drive we need to go together, but hopefully I'll make some friends who I can lift share with).

A few things:

I tried a helmet with a cage, which was OK, but I think I'm gonna go with the half cage/half visor. I might look stupid, but I think having my face protected but my vision unobscured with help me.

Also, I've been advised, I can get some very basic skates to start with. Can anyone recommend me some? I'm looking to spend maybe 30 or so (I've been told this is possible).

What is the comprehensive list of stuff I'll need. The team is really cool and said I can buy bits at a time and borrow from them, so will be doing it in small purchases.

Oh, and WOW do I ache, and that was just easy skating/stickhandling.

I've been told that next time we go, if we've got sufficient gear, we'll be thrown in with the U14 team (all age groups train together). So I'll be aching even more!

VickiUKHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:03 PM
cmdrdredd

Congratulations on your first experience. You could probably look in your area for some good condition used skates for starters. As you build confidence and understand what a skate does for your performance you could invest in something new. Lets face it, skates can be expensive! The more you skate the less you will hurt. That's just something that comes with time. The more you skate the more bad habits you will discover and fix. That will in turn help you in the pain and discomfort area.

Just make sure you buy proper fitting skates. If you don't, you will be uncomfortable and have less fun.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiUKHockeyFan View Post
I tried a helmet with a cage, which was OK, but I think I'm gonna go with the half cage/half visor. I might look stupid, but I think having my face protected but my vision unobscured with help me.
I wouldn't do that! You played hockey for the first time, didn't you? You get used to the cage... When you're playing without a cage you risk that a ball (puck) or a stick hits your face...

Quote:
Also, I've been advised, I can get some very basic skates to start with. Can anyone recommend me some? I'm looking to spend maybe 30 or so (I've been told this is possible).
Well that depends on how often you play. If you play frequently I recommend you more expensive skates (around 100 - don't know how expensive hockey gear in Britain is, though) because it's hard to skate in cheap skates, especially when they're flexible at the ankels. I've never seen skates around 30, but here in Germany skates start from 50. (I converted in €)

Quote:
What is the comprehensive list of stuff I'll need. The team is really cool and said I can buy bits at a time and borrow from them, so will be doing it in small purchases.
Well I've read that Canadian/US roller hockey teams needed less gear than teams in Germany do.

That's what we need in Germany:

- skates
- helmet
- shinpads
- shoulder pad
- girdle
- inline hockey pant
- gloves
- cup
- elbow pads
- neck protector (under 18 only)
- sticks

Last edited by Salzig: 03-06-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Hockeyfan68

Vicki I remember you posting in here that you are legally blind (?) or have impaired sight issues. I can understand that you would want a visor but carefully weigh the consequences of not wearing one like losing teeth, broken jaw (rare in noncontact but can happen on an accidental collision), broken nose etc.

I am very happy that you finally got out there to play.

EDIT: Missed the comment on the cage visor combo above, don't worry it doesn't look stupid.

Hockey isn't a fashion show by the way.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 03-06-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:39 PM
bauerhockey02

I don't get where all of the worry about some kind of face injury if a half cage/half visor is used. The cage on the bottom will protect the lower part of the face and the shield on top will protect the top half of the face while leaving vision unobscured. I personally prefer the full cage but the combo is fine to use also.

bauerhockey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Mak sure to check out the 9500 cage it's light years beyond cheap cages.

For equipment, splurge on a helmeat and some proper fitting skates (go to a very reputable shop). Get a wood stick for starters. Everything else you can buy second hand or middle of the road.

It's addicting!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
VickiUKHockeyFan

Thanks guys, the worry about what people think is probably from reading too many threads on here about getting ribbed for the whole visor thing. a few points I forgot though:

When I was messing around with a stick, my left hand was at the top. What's my stick handedness? It was a eighty stick and felt fine to me.

We were the only two girls! Can't say I mind, I'm just happy to have found a team so close to home. A lot of the parents were saying an awful lot about all female leagues though so they're obviously not used to tomboyish girls haha.

I'm not sure at this stage what I need to wear. Sweats? Shorts? I'm guessing something thin enough to get more gear over?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions so will post again if I need to.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:52 PM
stick9

Quote:
Thanks guys, the worry about what people think is probably from reading too many threads on here about getting ribbed for the whole visor thing. a few points I forgot though:

When I was messing around with a stick, my left hand was at the top. What's my stick handedness? It was a eighty stick and felt fine to me.

We were the only two girls! Can't say I mind, I'm just happy to have found a team so close to home. A lot of the parents were saying an awful lot about all female leagues though so they're obviously not used to tomboyish girls haha.

I'm not sure at this stage what I need to wear. Sweats? Shorts? I'm guessing something thin enough to get more gear over?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions so will post again if I need to.
I know it's been quite the hot topic lately, but don't worry about getting ribbed. Right now worry about protecting yourself.

Left hand up top means you shoot righty.

I'd say shorts, but whatever you're comfortable in works. Sweats might be hot and bulky.

Have fun, and welcome to the greatest game on earth.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:21 AM
SabresFreak97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
I wouldn't do that! You played hockey for the first time, didn't you? You get used to the cage... When you're playing without a cage you risk that a ball (puck) or a stick hits your face...

Well that depends on how often you play. If you play frequently I recommend you more expensive skates (around 100 - don't know how expensive hockey gear in Britain is, though) because it's hard to skate in cheap skates, especially when they're flexible at the ankels. I've never seen skates around 30, but here in Germany skates start from 50. (I converted in )

Well I've read that Canadian/US roller hockey teams needed less gear than teams in Germany do.

That's what we need in Germany:

- skates
- helmet
- shinpads
- shoulder pad
- girdle
- inline hockey pant
- gloves
- cup
- elbow pads
- neck protector (under 18 only)
- sticks
I played for a Roller hockey league and everything but the Shoulder pads and neck guard were required in America. However I knew the competition so I did wear the pads. Actually it was just the padded shirts.

I would go out and get a stick and ball and practice stick handling anytime you can do it. Also try shooting at something like a wall you will learn to have better reflexes.

SabresFreak97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:30 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
A few things:

Congrats, welcome to the game of hockey!

I think I would go with a full cage to start, you will probably be more confident with a full cage. I would do a lot of reading on how to skate, stop, shoot etc. I think reading it first will give you a bit of a head start, so when you get the chance to practice you will learn even quicker!

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 05:42 AM
VickiUKHockeyFan

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, skating definitely needs work. On Saturday I had the er, pleasure, of being outskated by a 10 year old!

Going forwards is no problem, once I got into it, but stopping, yeah, not so much. And I can't go backwards yet. But me and my friend have said we're going to go to roller discos etc so we can just *be* on skates as much as possible. I've also found some that look OK for a beginner, but I'm not sure about them yet. Will see how the next session or two goes.

One thing I'm now really confused about though, is what to wear on the bottom half. I saw guys in what looked like ice hockey shorts (and indeed, we tried to fit into some, unfortunately, again they were for 14 year olds so it didn't happen). What exactly do you wear on the bottom half? I saw guys in shorts, then very thin sweat pants underneath, and a few actually in PJ bottoms...

Good to know what handedness I am too, thanks. Finally something I'm NOT left handed at!

Old
03-08-2010, 03:38 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, skating definitely needs work. On Saturday I had the er, pleasure, of being outskated by a 10 year old!

Going forwards is no problem, once I got into it, but stopping, yeah, not so much. And I can't go backwards yet. But me and my friend have said we're going to go to roller discos etc so we can just *be* on skates as much as possible. I've also found some that look OK for a beginner, but I'm not sure about them yet. Will see how the next session or two goes.

One thing I'm now really confused about though, is what to wear on the bottom half. I saw guys in what looked like ice hockey shorts (and indeed, we tried to fit into some, unfortunately, again they were for 14 year olds so it didn't happen). What exactly do you wear on the bottom half? I saw guys in shorts, then very thin sweat pants underneath, and a few actually in PJ bottoms...

Good to know what handedness I am too, thanks. Finally something I'm NOT left handed at!
You should be looking for hockey pants, don't let the name deceive you, they are actually shorts, reinforced. Then you will also want shin pads, and a jill. Put the jill on, then the shin guards, then your hockey socks, then the pants, then skates. Your bottom half is dressed.

For stopping this video might help you

To get used to stopping you should hold the edge of the boards and just slide your foot out, so you get used to using your inside edge, then push off sideways with one foot, and stop yourself with the other. Then move on to what I show in the video.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
What exactly do you wear on the bottom half? I saw guys in shorts, then very thin sweat pants underneath, and a few actually in PJ bottoms...
There are two options for roller hockey:

1st option: thin pants (girdle)

and a roller hockey pant over the girdle

2nd option: you wear ice hockey pants and hockey socks.

Both options are allowed for league games in Germany (but the whole team has to play either in ice hockey or inline hockey pants). For practice it doesn't matter what you wear.

I always wore a girdle and roller hockey pants in practice, but I'll use my ice hockey pant from now on because it's not as sweaty as the girdle. I'll have to go with the girdle / roller hockey pant for games, though.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:58 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I don't know if everyone else has difficulty reading or if it's just me, but I'm almost positive she said *half visor + half cage* so all of the cautionary posts about wearing a cage are unnecessary.

I would wear shorts, or compression shorts with an athletic supporter (yes, there are "cups" for females as well - I believe it's called a "pelvic protector" and you can find a compression short with this built in).

"Necessary" gear for roller hockey is:
Stick
Gloves
Skates
Shin pads
Elbow Pads
Cup
Roller Hockey Pants (baggy sweats will do, but they will get ruined)
Helmet + Mouthguard (and cage/visor/etc)
-------------------
Girdle or "Hockey Pants" (the padded shorts we wear in ice hockey)
Shoulder Pads
Neck Protectors

Are completely optional but have NEVER been required in any roller league I've ever heard of.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
VickiUKHockeyFan

OK, so today I went to my LHS (an hour and a bit away) and basically got measured for everything. Now I'm shopping around (the guy helping me actually told me to do this, so I'm not being cheeky by getting help then not buying etc) but could do with some recommendations. I know WHAT I need, but I've got no clue on brands. So, my measurements, according to Mr LHS sales man:

Gloves: 13 inches
Shin guards: 13 inches
Helmet: Medium
Body Armour (I'm guessing he means shoulder pads?): Medium
Shorts: Medium

He also mentioned a pelvic protector?

Another thing he also said, was that I can either go with shoulder pads or a padded t-shirt. Same with pants/shorts. Any examples of these? I'm not sure what's for the best really. If anyone can recommend some brands it'd be helpful. The only thing I've any real idea about is this visor/cage combo here Would this be OK? And can anyone tell me which helmets it would fit? Also tried some TPS gloves which were quite nice (pink and white ones, bonus! Sorry, that's the girl in me...)

Old
03-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
You should be looking for hockey pants, don't let the name deceive you, they are actually shorts, reinforced. Then you will also want shin pads, and a jill. Put the jill on, then the shin guards, then your hockey socks, then the pants, then skates. Your bottom half is dressed.

For stopping this video might help you

To get used to stopping you should hold the edge of the boards and just slide your foot out, so you get used to using your inside edge, then push off sideways with one foot, and stop yourself with the other. Then move on to what I show in the video.
I want your sweatshirt in the video. Can't seem to find that stuff here in the USA. I am of French Canadian heritage and would like to have one.

Oh as for stops my most useful one playing D is both feet apart while stickhandling for a quick half stop to lose a checker. Sometimes I tuck the puck in between my legs while stopping so it comes out the backside right there for me to pick up after losing the checker on the pivot.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:49 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Another thing he also said, was that I can either go with shoulder pads or a padded t-shirt. Same with pants/shorts. Any examples of these? I'm not sure what's for the best really. If anyone can recommend some brands it'd be helpful.
"padded t-shirt":

"paddes pants" should be the girdle, as I posted it earlier in this thread. I'm not a 100% sure, but I haven't seen other "padded pants".

Old
03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
VickiUKHockeyFan

OK, thanks for the advice so far. I've applied for a job so hopefully if I get that my money problems should be sorted and I can get my gear. In the meantime I'll be borrowing, as I said.

Anyway, two things I need help with, stopping and going backwards.

I can do snowplow stops on ice fine, and can go backwards on ice by sort of shifting my weight forward and wiggling my hips. But I can't do either on inline skates.

I'd really like some advice before Saturday so that it makes the learning process maybe that bit easier. I was filming a game this past Saturday so it's been two weeks since my first session and I'm itching to get back!

Old
03-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'm pretty sure rollerblade skating backwards is the same, so just bend your knees a bit, almost as if you were going to start to sit on a couch. Then, you just try and make "c"s with your blades.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Joppy

vCash: 50
Also, learn to do backward crossovers. This is the second year that I've played inline and those have helped tremendously with my defensive play. Easier to go side to side and pick up speed.

Like I said. This is my second year playing inline (never played ice either) and I'm already a pretty good skater. Just skate as often as possible and it will come to you. Don't be afraid to practice the things your bad at. You'll feel that much better when your able to do them well.

There are two ways that I stop. The first is pretty much like a hockey stop. You can practice this by slowing down and circling a bit before pivoting your feet. The other is a t stop. You stick your outside foot out like a hockey stop and point the other one perpendicular to it.

Hope this helps. Just skate a lot and practice skating backward and stopping and you'll pick it up over time.

Edit: Oh, and congratulations on starting to play hockey. It was a last minute decision for me as I had to decide the night before the tryout whether I was going to play or not. I did and haven't regretted it once.

Joppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
I can do snowplow stops on ice fine, and can go backwards on ice by sort of shifting my weight forward and wiggling my hips. But I can't do either on inline skates.
Welcome to hockey! You'll have a blast; I've never met anyone who didn't enjoy playing.

Just curious why you're starting with roller instead of ice? Roller's a fun game, but ice is the real thing.

Is there a lack of ice rinks or ice teams in your area? I realize it's not exactly a huge sport in the UK.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:17 AM
VickiUKHockeyFan

Due to my sight problems I'm not able to drive and the nearest rink to my city is 40 miles away. I could get trains and things but the teams don't train til after the trains stop running. So for now, I'm playing roller because I can get to training sessions independently and it's at a reasonable hour. I am planning to move to a new city after I graduate from university and can hopefully start playing ice then.

Old
03-20-2010, 05:34 PM
VickiUKHockeyFan

Today was my 2nd ever roller hockey training session, and OMG I LOVE THIS SPORT!

Started off doing some shooting, and then a pass/shoot drill, then some skating. On the shooting drill, I HIT THE NET!!!!! There was no goalie in it, but I don't care! And I wasn't wearing my glasses, so I'm very pleased!

Then I was playing a scrimmage game with the U14 guys. I managed to intercept a pass, and did this awesome backhand pass...right back to the other team. Ooops.

Overall, really enjoyed it, and will be going back. And a lovely parent has offered to sell me a kit bag for cheap, which is awesome

I'm still working on ways to save even more money, I'd like to get all my protective gear for around 150. It's proving tricky, I keep coming in at like 200, although that is with a stick...

Oooh, and today, I took 1 x stick to the face (thank you the inventor of full cages) and 1 x puck to the leg, but I'd squeezed into a loaner pair of ice pants, so it was OK, since it hit the padding.