HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we play the Trap next season?

Old
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Axxion89

vCash: 500
I have no problem with patience, I'm a Mets fan lol

But honestly, the ONLY thing I have against this team is Tortorella and Redden. These 2 people should have never had the honor of playing in MSG unless they were the away team. Tortorella is a bully and a has-been and not the type of coach this YOUNG team needs. I don't know who we should have as a coach at his point (I liked Laviolette maybe) but not Torts. As for Redden, its been said before by many.

As I said before, I propose the idea as a thought but my perfect team would be a balanced team with a slight emphasis more on defense.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Ola

Why are we heading up ice before that 4-3 goal? A line change. 3 Guys deep in our end. When we loose the puck, we are deep already and STL can hit us with speed. If Shelley gets it deep, we can't put any pressure on it anyway. Callahan and Girardi can't do much, like besides take a penalty. Torts style sucks.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:41 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I don't think its a system anymore, I just think its the way the team is built.

Theres not rhyme or reason behind the construction of the team. Its a team thrown together, with a prayer that they'll make it into the playoffs.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
kennglin13

Tortorella being our coach makes me not want to order tortellini because it makes me so sick to my stomach

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Why are we heading up ice before that 4-3 goal? A line change. 3 Guys deep in our end. When we loose the puck, we are deep already and STL can hit us with speed. If Shelley gets it deep, we can't put any pressure on it anyway. Callahan and Girardi can't do much, like besides take a penalty. Torts style sucks.
I agree. It's simply not clear what he's trying to do and to me it looks like he brings out the worst in the players. I'm not sure what he's telling them but it's not working with the roster he has.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
I agree. It's simply not clear what he's trying to do and to me it looks like he brings out the worst in the players. I'm not sure what he's telling them but it's not working with the roster he has.
There are a few things that sticks out.

1. He have worked a lot with the "direction" he wants the players to face on the ice.

For example, he is very strict at wanting the backcheckers to face their own net. And he wants the attacking players to face the attacking net.

This is not the norm. Its not unusual for backcheckers to backcheck, and then when they get deep, shift and skate backwards. Typical trapping tendancys.

Its the same thing when you attack, with the forwards. Its not unusual for forwards to turn and give the D relief by skating towards him, and then turn up ice again.

Both those norms are a big "no-no" under Torts, obviously (and they have been reported too, Higgins talked about it being a big challenge for example). The pros is that you'll keep more speed under your skates. Its the D's job to step up and take the body, and the forwards job to step behind them and pick up the puck. When you play defense its essential to have the same pace as the attacking team. That you skate with them.

With the puck, the fact that the forwards are facing up ice, definitely makes it harder for the D's on the other team to win controll of the puck and counterattack.

The con especially is that you become less flexible. Like sure, I agree 100% with the value of having the backcheckers move with the attacking team, instead of lineing up like a cone. But, is that the case 100 out of 100 times. Nope. If you are not connected with the other team, like after a linechange, you need to be able to adjust. We often see Torts team bullcharge after the puck and loose 3 guys without accomplishing squat. Especially early in the year. But the negatives when it comes to the backchecking part isn't all that big.

I really have a problem when it comes to the attacking aspect. We are loosing a ton of pucks all over the ice. Thats exposing our D's. We are not getting up ice enough against the better teams.

2. We are always moving the puck up ice. Forward. Forward. Forwards. This is the plan. Our forwards are facing up ice. Just send the puck up ice and let them jump on it.

Again, gives us a fair amount of high quality chances offensively. We get a jump on the other team. Our centers don't have to be all that good at heading up ice with the puck, its not their role to go deep and skate a puck up ice. The negatives, we loose a lot of pucks. It exposes our D's more.

3. Tortorella is not coaching to the extent where he is stiffling individual talent. Prospal and MDZ are good examples of that. Prospal is given room to play his game, he is basically the only player on the team who you see making plays like a team like Chicago or Detroit makes every shift. He turns the wrong way to give a D a option. He turns back with the puck to start over. A player like MDZ isn't asked to move the puck up ice all ASAP all the time. He is given his creative freedom.

So I think its safe to draw the conclusion, that if we had like Boyle, Kaberle and MDZ on the blueline, and like Datsyuk, Statsny and Prospal as our centers; a Torts lead team could fill the criteria it takes to be successful in the game today.

--------------------------------------
My evaluation
I like some things that Torts is doing. I like how he trys to enforce a system. He recognize the value of that. I don't think he is overcoaching. He isn't stiffling talent. And he is keeping things pretty simple, thats important. He draws up the bigger lines and goes from there. Thats good.

But, overall, this style is a lot more 04' and prior, then after the lockout.

You need to focus more on keeping the puck within the team these days. Every lost puck can come back and haunt you. A good team will take it the lengths of the ice and put pressure on you. So its important not to give away pucks. Like go to espn.go.com and look at their scheduele section when Renney was here. You get a good overview of the shotstats there. With Renney, how often did we struggle against the best teams? It was pretty darn rare. Like early one year Buffalo was streaking and we didn't have a chance against them in like 3 straight games. Pittsburgh blew us apart in the PO's, but at the same time -- their PP was like 30+% in that series. 5 on 5 we weren't that lost, but their PP killed our momentum. With Torts, its almost more the norm then the exception to play a game against like Washington or Pittsburgh and in one of the periods get 3 or less shots. The reason for that is the negative aspects I described above, that are directly connected with the flaws in Torts system. We are designed to give away a lot of pucks. Against a team that don't give away a lot of pucks -- we are designed to loose the momentum battle big.

We are to the good teams today, what Atlanta were to us in 06' when we swept them. We are designed to fail against a team that don't give the puck away a lot. Don't forget that Atlanta won their division that year.

Last edited by Ola: 03-19-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Black Tank

Ola, I don't disagree with anything above. Unfortunately, it's what I also find frustrating about Tortorella. He is still pushing something that is not working and I'm sure the players have lost confidence in him as well. I see no positives about Tortorella at all at this point.

With the cap it's hard to turn over the roster too much and with Redden and Drury eating up such a large percentage, we need to play a system that makes the most of the players we have. If that uses elements of the trap, so be it.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:43 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Many Rangers' fans are unaware of how much our PP has improved this season.

Our PP is 14th in the league right now, a big upgrade over last year when they finished 29th. The PP still looks like a mess sometimes, but it isn't nearly as bad as last year when they were giving up shorthanded goals all the time.

Yeah no ****. Last year I cringed every time we went on power play.

And no we shouldn't trap. You need to stick with a plan for much longer than 12 months.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:19 AM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
You mean you aren't enjoying our new AGGRESSIVE style of hockey? The style that currently has us sitting 26th in the league in GOALS FOR. SAFE IS DEATH!!! JAM!!!! BUS STOP!!!

What was the point of firing Renney then? Torts has barely any talent on this line up to run any type of system that was work effectively. Might as well just let him run what he feels comfortable running.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:00 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
So why did we get rid of Renney?
One of Sather's worst 5 decisions, there he's made some doozys

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:18 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

We can afford the fastest money can buy. We should have been playing the trap the minute the Devils made it work...except with some speed scoring to make the system perfect.

We should play the trap starting 1995.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote