HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tense Times ?

Old
03-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Cmox

vCash: 500
Tense Times ?

Anyone read this?

Per Gross
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r..._not_so_sweet/

Quote:
The other interesting moment(s) from practice came with a little bit of back-and-forth between Henrik Lundqvist and Sean Avery. Early in practice, Avery came in on Lundqvist but Lundqvist poked out his stick and Avery wound up tripping and sliding into the corner boards. Avery started squawking at Lundqvist and continued as he skated around the back of the net and came to a rest on the side boards. During a line rush a couple of minutes later, Avery, muscling his way to the net, just bowled over Lundqvist. At the end of practice, Avery went back to Lundqvist to talk to him but by the time they skated down ice they were laughing together. Later, Lundqvist said there was nothing to it.
Quote:
Finally, Lundqvist was asked if he was confident about the team.

“I don’t know if I’m confident,” he began, before stopping and starting again. “I feel good about my game. We have to believe in each other that we can do it.”
Also, it seems as if the media had a scary Q and A with Torts.

Sorry, if this had been already posted.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Best part of the post:
Quote:
Finally, Lundqvist was asked if he was confident about the team.

“I don’t know if I’m confident,” he began, before stopping and starting again. “I feel good about my game. We have to believe in each other that we can do it.”

Shows how Henrik really feels about the "team" in front of him.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:17 PM
NYR Viper

Frustration is going to start to show very soon if it already hasnt started. Hank and Gabby are going to start to get frustrated that they carried the team so far and yet have so little help.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:18 PM
LamoTheKid

Looks like they just got a little emotional on the ice during practice. Considering those two are the few guys showing any emotion at all the last few games, i think you're reading into it a bit much.

Still interesting though.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Cmox

I wonder when Hank asks for a trade.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:21 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I don't see the story here, personally.

It would be news if the article said that Anisimov finished his check.

In all seriousness, I think Avery comes alive from March-on. He seems to boost his game during the stretch runs. I wish more of the team played with the same emotion during this time of the year; with more of a sense of urgency.

Hopefully we can take Boston...

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:55 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
As I've said in other threads, he is not going to ask for a trade because of one bad season. This year is not even over and they are only 3 points out of a playoff spot. The Rangers have made the playoffs every season since the lockout (also that is when Lundqvist broke into the league). He signed a big money long term deal for a reason. One down year will not cause him to want to jump ship.

Players are allowed to get frustrated, especially when you've been play excellent for just about the entire season and they have been struggling on D and at scoring goals.

It's not the end of the world right now.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
As I've said in other threads, he is not going to ask for a trade because of one bad season. This year is not even over and they are only 3 points out of a playoff spot. The Rangers have made the playoffs every season since the lockout (also that is when Lundqvist broke into the league). He signed a big money long term deal for a reason. One down year will not cause him to want to jump ship.

Players are allowed to get frustrated, especially when you've been play excellent for just about the entire season and they have been struggling on D and at scoring goals.

It's not the end of the world right now.
I think you're wrong.
The way I see it, Lundqvist is an ultra competitive personality and wants to win a cup while he's still in his prime.

Making the playoffs is not an accomplishment to real winners.
It's not one year, it's every year since the lockout without a legit shot at the Stanley Cup.
You can argue all you want about how much they were or weren't "in it" during any given playoff run but the fact remains that they've been unable to get past the second round.

It's fine if that's up to your standards, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Henrik is okay with the mediocrity year after year.
Of course I can't get inside Lundqvist's head either, no one can, but that's just my opinion from watching him play and hearing what he has to say.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:10 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
I think you're wrong.
The way I see it, Lundqvist is an ultra competitive personality and wants to win a cup while he's still in his prime.

Making the playoffs is not an accomplishment to real winners.
It's not one year, it's every year since the lockout without a legit shot at the Stanley Cup.
You can argue all you want about how much they were or weren't "in it" during any given playoff run but the fact remains that they've been unable to get past the second round.

It's fine if that's up to your standards, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Henrik is okay with the mediocrity year after year.
Of course I can't get inside Lundqvist's head either, no one can, but that's just my opinion from watching him play and hearing what he has to say.
Then why would he sign a long-term deal?

Old
03-17-2010, 05:15 PM
dedalus

Quote:
He signed the deal before the season. There's every reason to think the team would be getting better. It's not. It's gotten worse. If he expected relief from past years, this season is a rude awakening.

In any case, the deal goes with him wherever he goes. Signing a longterm deal does not mean the entire contract will be played for the team that signed it.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Original six team + the lifestyle of a millionaire living in NY.
Who wouldn't?

However if the team continues to stagnate like this I can see him asking for a trade before the contract is up.
I think he's trying to stay positive and still beieves that this organization can turn things around.
But at some point, if things don't change, reality is going to set in and he's going to want to go to a contending team.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
He signed the deal before the season. There's every reason to think the team would be getting better. It's not. It's gotten worse. If he expected relief from past years, this season is a rude awakening.

In any case, the deal goes with him wherever he goes. Signing a longterm deal does not mean the entire contract will be played for the team that signed it.
I quoting the other poster, that said that since Lundqvist is ultra-competitive (Which I 100% agree with), Lundqvist was not happy with just making the playoffs the first 3 years in New York. If he wasn't happy, then he would have went to arbitration, signed a one year deal, then could have walked as a UFA and signed with whatever team he wanted to. So his alleged disatisfaction with the team would have to have started this season with the teams inconsistancies.

I understand that his deal would transfer with him, if he was dealt, but he had an out after his ELC ended and he didn't take it. He was happy with the direction the team was going and wanted to me a part of it long term, as a key player in the core of the Rangers future. If he was disenchanted then, he would have just signed a one year deal then walked.

EDIT: And yes, everyone though the team would have improved instead of regressed season over season, but having contracts like Drury's and Redden's hinders a team to acquire depth needed to get over the hump and get to the next level.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

Indeed. I doubt he expected regression this season.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:23 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
Original six team + the lifestyle of a millionaire living in NY.
Who wouldn't?

However if the team continues to stagnate like this I can see him asking for a trade before the contract is up.
I think he's trying to stay positive and still beieves that this organization can turn things around.
But at some point, if things don't change, reality is going to set in and he's going to want to go to a contending team.
And I agree, IF the team continues to be medicore at best, I could see him wanting a trade before the contract is up. But to say he has be upset since the lockout because making the playoffs was not good enough for him and this season is basically the straw that broke the camel's back, is false.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:24 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Ever wonder if, when they play at home, the constant beratement of negativity and questioning of every play they make on a daily basis by the NY media has an effect on the team's pyche.

How many of us react in a positive way when your boss or others stand over you constantly calling out your every breath as wrong, immature, half hearted, and such. Every day, every hour, in between every period, at every practice, at every press conference, at every charity event, at every diner you sit at to eat, the list go's on.

"By the way...did you see those T.P.S. reports?" (Office Space quote)

I know these guys are pro's and it's comes with the territory but they do appear to play a looser game on the road these days. Not always a win but they do look like a different team more often then not when not facing the barrage of questions that has to weigh on your mind.

Flame me on this one, and I'm sorry to use this comparison for a lack of a better metafore but could it be a "battered wife syndrome" thing where they just get in a lousy state of mind knowing what they are in for when they get home?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:26 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
Ever wonder if, when they play at home, the constant beratement of negativity and questioning of every play they make on a daily basis by the NY media has an effect on the team's pyche.

How many of us react in a positive way when your boss or others stand over you constantly calling out your every breath as wrong, immature, half hearted, and such. Every day, every hour, in between every period, at every practice, at every press conference, at every charity event, at every diner you sit at to eat, the list go's on.

I know these guys are pro's and it's comes with the territory but they do appear to play a looser game on the road these days. Not always a win but they do look like a different team more often then not when not facing the barrage of questions that has to weigh on your mind.

Flame me on this one, and I'm sorry to use this comparison for a lack of a better metafore but could it be a "battered wife syndrome" thing where they just get in a lousy state of mind knowing what they are in for when they get home?
I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that the media doesn't care about the Rangers.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:26 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post

I agree, to an extent. It's always been said, in all professional sports teams in New York, that it takes a certain type of player to succeed here. Many player crumble under the NYC spot lights.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Nick00

Quote:
I quoting the other poster, that said that since Lundqvist is ultra-competitive (Which I 100% agree with), Lundqvist was not happy with just making the playoffs the first 3 years in New York. If he wasn't happy, then he would have went to arbitration, signed a one year deal, then could have walked as a UFA and signed with whatever team he wanted to. So his alleged disatisfaction with the team would have to have started this season with the teams inconsistancies.

I understand that his deal would transfer with him, if he was dealt, but he had an out after his ELC ended and he didn't take it. He was happy with the direction the team was going and wanted to me a part of it long term, as a key player in the core of the Rangers future. If he was disenchanted then, he would have just signed a one year deal then walked.
I think that's correct actually. Well, since the winter of last season.
It's not that he was unhappy prior to signing the contract, but I think that now it's all starting to culminate and he's realizing that this team took a step back instead of forward this season.
He signed the extension before the Renney firing and things have definitely gone down hill from there.

I know that personally for me, this season has amounted to the most depressing year of Rangers hockey post-lockout.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

some food for thoughts.

Henrik Lundqvists record when giving up exactly 2 goals (not counting EN goals): 13-6-5 .646
Martin Brodeurs record under the same circumstances: 13-3-1 .794
MAF's record under the same circumstances: 12-2-1 .833

Pitiful. If you extrapolate MAF's winning % to the number of 2 goal games Henrik has had youre talking about 9 more points in the standings, and the difference between 9th in the East and 5th in the East. I'd be interested to see what the records are for other goalies in the league, but it wouldnt surprise me if Henrik has the lowest winning % of all starting goalies in the NHL in games hes given up 2 goals.

Btw:
Theodore: 8-0-2
Varlamov: 3-0-0
Neuvirth: 5-1-1

Totals for washington goalies: 16-1-3 .875

Sheesh.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:37 PM
dedalus

Quote:
I quoting the other poster, that said that since Lundqvist is ultra-competitive (Which I 100% agree with), Lundqvist was not happy with just making the playoffs the first 3 years in New York.
Not quite. You'll note there was progress in years two and three. They went from being destroyed by the Devils in year one, to advancing to the second round. He wasn't "just making the playoffs," from that perspective. The team appeared to be getting better.

Until last year.

Quote:
If he wasn't happy, then he would have went to arbitration, signed a one year deal, then could have walked as a UFA and signed with whatever team he wanted to. So his alleged disatisfaction with the team would have to have started this season with the teams inconsistancies.
This ignores two things:
1. Last year's team was the first that showed a playoff regression, and he signed the deal in February before that happened. Things did not turn out as he no doubt hoped when he signed the deal, and they've only gotten worse.

2. One year contracts always open you to the possibility of injury and all the risk that goes with that. Long term deals guarantee safety, and Lundqvist understood perfectly well that his was to be lucrative. He made a business decision coming out of his entry level contract, and that decision was to nail down a long term deal. It need have nothing at all to do with satisfaction with the Rangers.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Choice

The Avery/Henrik thing is a non issue. But Torts needs to grow up and realize dealing with the media is part of his job.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:21 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
I don't know the guy personally, but Hank doesn't come across as a player who'd ask for a trade, especially from the organization that not only drafted him but gave him the chance AND has rewarded him financially...

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:23 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
The Avery/Henrik thing is a non issue. But Torts needs to grow up and realize dealing with the media is part of his job.
I agree with you. Torts needs to respect what those guys do...if he has something to say to a specific person in the media, such as Brooks, then they should do it in private...don't call out a guy and embarrass him in front of his co-workers...and where the heck is John Rosasco stepping in?

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:37 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

AFter reading Brooks today, I don't think tension goes far enough. Sounds like we are near implosion territory. I am thinking more and more Torts' is gone at the end of the year and Sather may not be far behind.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
AFter reading Brooks today, I don't think tension goes far enough. Sounds like we are near implosion territory. I am thinking more and more Torts' is gone at the end of the year and Sather may not be far behind.
I can't see Sather leaving unless he's responsible for picking his replacement.