HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Race to the OTHER 1st Place: Standings

Old
04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
bluumax

vCash: 500
how come nobody ever talks about our own 1st round pick?

meh tht was too soon even for me

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 05:30 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer84Instinct View Post
we play them 8 times a year. also they are our divisional rival if that doesnt cut it either we have a long history with them from original 6 days i think a true hockey fan will care and see what there team will be against when playing them 6-8 times a year
We play them six times a year not eight.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 05:31 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowman View Post
if you'd been reading the posts carefully, you'd know that he is using bust in a different sense. maybe bust isn't the word he should've picked, but his point still stands.

he was using it in the sense of the chance of a player essentially being as good as kessel, for the sake of this discussion. we will win this trade if the player(s) picked aren't as good as kessel. simple as that. there's no guarantee that segiun/hall will bust, or even become decent 1st liners, but there's also no guarantee that they'll become superstars, ala stamkos.

at the same time, there's no guarantee that kessel won't get better. in fact, i'd say that there's a pretty good chance he'll improve. he's what, 22?
Good enough points and all true, but what really should (and will) be measured is not if Kessel turns out to be superior to Seguin or Hall or whomever, but whether Kessel is worth all three players picked. And if we draft another bottom 10 pick next year, which is a very real possibility, I don't see how Kessel can be worth that much, not by half.

Then again, they could all bust and Kessel could score 40+ the next five years. Only time will tell.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
we play them 8 times a year. also they are our divisional rival if that doesnt cut it either we have a long history with them from original 6 days i think a true hockey fan will care and see what there team will be against when playing them 6-8 times a year
We play them 6 times a year.
Honestly, I will be upset when it's not us picking top 3, but I am really happy with Kessel. getting 30 goals after missing camp because of shoulder surgery, also missed the first month, not to mention that everyone didn't even think that Kessel could get to 25 goals because of his surgery and because he didn't have 'Savard', oh yeah he did it on a cruddy Leafs team with no true #1 center. Now that's something that shouldn't be overlooked like some people seem to be doing. A lot of the games that the Leafs won were because of Kessel. Remember the last or 2nd last game against Ottawa when we one in the shoot-out, it was because Kessel scored our only goal to get us there. What about that game against Florida earlier in the season when Kessel dangled the whole team and scored.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
piper66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'm more concerned an up and coming team will land him than the offensively challenged Bruins.

Can you imagine?

Vinnie, St. Louis, Hedman, Stamkos, Seguin
Wait...what?....I think Boston's ok with krechi bergeron lucic stewart hunwick savard and hall/seguin and rask...plus colborne marchand caron around the bend...not that savard is an up and comer but neither is vinny. Much closer to contention than TB imo.

Last edited by piper66: 04-09-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: forgot that young goalie
piper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:58 PM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

vCash: 620
Quote:

We play them 6 times a year, not 8. Do you like any of Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos? We play them as well. There's tons of players out there I like and hope they do well. It has no bearing on my feelings towards the Leafs and the players that don the jersey.
If you want to harp on it for the next 20 years, go right ahead. I'll have long since moved on to something more important.

Nice dig about the true hockey fan though. Typical HF arguement.

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg1 View Post
Agreed. Too many high draft pics haven't worked out.
Boston's picking 2nd, the guy may end up to be like a Crosby.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
Boston's picking 2nd, the guy may end up to be like a Crosby.
I don't think Hall and Seguin are generational talents.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:03 PM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
It is kind of funny that so many people think that it is the Leafs that have to worry when it is the Bruins that have to hope they get a player even as good as Kessel.
There is a very real possibility they will get two players better than Kessel.

Still, it didn't seem like a bad trade when it was made, it was kind of like folding a 2/7 and seeing 2 2 7 on the flop. It sucks but it probably was the right move at the time.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:35 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper66 View Post
Wait...what?....I think Boston's ok with krechi bergeron lucic stewart hunwick savard and hall/seguin and rask...plus colborne marchand caron around the bend...not that savard is an up and comer but neither is vinny. Much closer to contention than TB imo.
Where would Downie fit in here? Statistically he isn't far behind Krejci.

Stamkos just turned 20, has 91 points.

Stamkos - Seguin/Hall combination is better than anything I can see in Boston.

We are talking a potential Crosby-Malkin or Backstrom-Ovechkin combination there.

At age 20 Ovechkin scored 52 goals, Stamkos has 48. It looks like Stamkos might be elite.

Sure regular season the Leafs see Boston more often, but who cares about the regular season. In the playoffs there are no divisions, only conferences.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:36 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV 426 View Post
I don't think Hall and Seguin are generational talents.
I don't think Backstrom is elite, but he certainly has very good stats.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:37 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
There is a very real possibility they will get two players better than Kessel.

Still, it didn't seem like a bad trade when it was made, it was kind of like folding a 2/7 and seeing 2 2 7 on the flop. It sucks but it probably was the right move at the time.
If the Leafs pick is in the lottery next year, Burke has failed and Wilson should already have been fired.

Old
04-10-2010, 12:38 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper66 View Post
That's pathetic. Homer much?

At least I have to assume you are from Boston, something that stupid can't come from anywhere else.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I don't think Backstrom is elite, but he certainly has very good stats.
No doubt they can be great players. I'm just saying not on a Crosby/Ovechkin level.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailStefanovich View Post
That's pathetic. Homer much?

At least I have to assume you are from Boston, something that stupid can't come from anywhere else.
I really don't know exactly what either of you are trying to say but I agree that Boston is closer to contention than Tampa Bay, which may have talent - but doesn't have the structure and starting goaltending that Boston has...

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:36 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
O well, what's done is done. Looking forward to a Leaf core of Kadri, Kessel, Phaneuf, Schenn, Bozak, Kulemin, etc. Although, a core of Kadri, Phaneuf, Schenn, Bozak, Kulemin, Seguin/Hall, 2011 first rounder, etc, would probably be a "brighter" one.

But it's not set it stone that Seguin/Hall (and the rest of that Leaf package to Boston), will be a better/more impactful altogether than Kessel.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 03:57 PM
piper66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dreams View Post
I really don't know exactly what either of you are trying to say but I agree that Boston is closer to contention than Tampa Bay, which may have talent - but doesn't have the structure and starting goaltending that Boston has...
I said the same thing ...much closer.... Stamkos is awsome and they would be great together...maybe...I'f anyone compares Downy to Krejci they aren't watching them at all. The Bruins have a great system that is lacking some scoring this year...Tampa is like an unmade bed...with silk sheets....O ans MS...your a real bright one eh?

piper66 is offline   Reply With Quote