HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#71 - 03.18.2010 | St. Louis Blues @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
03-18-2010, 09:32 PM
sickboy35

vCash: 500
well its over and this team just does not have the heart it seems to get it done, the orginazation needs to rid themselves of this management and coach. nuff said

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:37 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I think Neidereiter is physically more ready than Kabanov but K Squared might have more upside.

As for Messier; if he is named the new GM that's a slap in the face to Schoenfeld who should just walk out.

I'd be down to bring Renney back; one of the most under appreciated guys in the history of the Rangers.

For GM go after Nill from Detroit or let Schoeny, Clark, or Anders Hedberg run the show.

No big names for coach. I like Prospect Park's idea of Boughner, and I suggested Gustafson from the Swedish Olympic Team who was a great NHLer but got my head bit off, soooo.....

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:38 PM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
It seems like people always say that when hes having a poor statistical game. But when he goes 26 for 27 low quality shots its a great game.

Theres a lack of objectivity is all im saying.
have to remember, the king is the king for a reason. if he stinks the joint up it's always the teammates fault, or maybe there were deflections, or maybe he had the flu, or maybe he had a fight with his girlfriend etc. if he plays lights out saves 26-out of 27 low quality shots with teammates like Cally, Duby and Drury blocking shots bleeding on the ice for king Henrik its how EPIC or Godly he has played tonight. Listen to Joe Mich alittle bit. Its disgusting.

like you said the lack of objectivity is poor. I guess its just the nature of the beast. All fans do this with their favorite players. Its been happening since electricity I guess

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
XLJ

Hank is a top 3 goaltender but he played bad in a really important game especially with Boston losing.

The 5-3 powerplay was so frustrating to watch. Like Joe said in the postgame you had 3 guys in a straight line by the net. 4 of the 5 players out there are veterans you would think they can run a decent 5 on 3 pp.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
if sather is fired, youre almost guaranteed to have Messier here. which will probably be more of the same.
Yea but Messier might have the balls to tell Dolan to **** off. Who knows what he would be tellin him to **** off for, thats the hard part...11 mil for Kovalchuk or a trade for a top three draft pick.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:59 PM
crisb

Hey guys. It's actually not over. Everybody relax. Boston lost too. Sunday is the big game.

crisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Loffen
Legend

Oh how I want to line up every single one (exept for a few players), and kick 'em all straight in the nuts.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:08 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisb View Post
Hey guys. It's actually not over. Everybody relax. Boston lost too. Sunday is the big game.
After everything you've seen this season, especially the last two games which were absolute must wins and they turned in a no show performance, you're gonna tell me it's not over?

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:12 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
if sather is fired, youre almost guaranteed to have Messier here. which will probably be more of the same.
what makes you say that?

-31- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
yea we know that. Bottom line is if they could win 2nite then a Sunday win would put them in the final spot and even then its a dog fight.......im usually always optimistic but this is pretty ridiculous.........they just are not very good and the truth is if they make the playoffs they just get knocked out 1st round cause there is no consistancey...........If they get 9th in the end its not like seeds 7 and 8 are much better.............everyone is inconsistant in the east except for the Caps, Pens ..........even the Devils had a crappy stretch............Ottawa and Buffalo stink right now too

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Nick00

Quote:
What's not over?
"It" is not over? We're still in "it"?
I'm sick of that word, it's meaningless in this context.
What is this team going to accomplish as currently constructed?
Tell me please.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:38 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:38 PM
KRM

Glad I missed the game.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:54 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Oh yeah, Torts playin the classics. "Not gonna discuss it" is his "Stairway to Heaven"

And I'm nooot gon-na dis-cuss-it... with you-u guysss

Props.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:11 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35 View Post
well its over and this team just does not have the heart it seems to get it done, the orginazation needs to rid themselves of this management and coach. nuff said
They have mostly played hard.

They just are not good.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:18 PM
PanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
They have mostly played hard.

They just are not good.
That's just it. It's not about the heart anymore, it's about making the simple plays. Like shooting!! We are too tentative to shoot the puck. How many times did we cross the blueline, have a great opportunity to shoot, but instead elect to pass it into the high slot into a mess of players?? We can't successfully pass the puck anymore, it always gets intercepted. There was a play where dubi didn't shoot the puck but instead turned around to protect it against the boards. Really?? Shoot the damn puck!

This team is going nowhere. We need to re-learn the fundamentals, like passing, shooting, and break-outs. We would have won tonight if we were better at those, forget about Lundqvist and the defence. We passed up a lot of opportunities.

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:31 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I think Neidereiter is physically more ready than Kabanov but K Squared might have more upside.

As for Messier; if he is named the new GM that's a slap in the face to Schoenfeld who should just walk out.

I'd be down to bring Renney back; one of the most under appreciated guys in the history of the Rangers.

For GM go after Nill from Detroit or let Schoeny, Clark, or Anders Hedberg run the show.

No big names for coach. I like Prospect Park's idea of Boughner, and I suggested Gustafson from the Swedish Olympic Team who was a great NHLer but got my head bit off, soooo.....
I agree with most of this.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:35 PM
PanMan

What about Hitchcock??

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:37 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
That's just it. It's not about the heart anymore, it's about making the simple plays. Like shooting!! We are too tentative to shoot the puck. How many times did we cross the blueline, have a great opportunity to shoot, but instead elect to pass it into the high slot into a mess of players?? We can't successfully pass the puck anymore, it always gets intercepted. There was a play where dubi didn't shoot the puck but instead turned around to protect it against the boards. Really?? Shoot the damn puck!

This team is going nowhere. We need to re-learn the fundamentals, like passing, shooting, and break-outs. We would have won tonight if we were better at those, forget about Lundqvist and the defence. We passed up a lot of opportunities.
Good post. I agree with you completely.

If this team was lacking badly in "heart" like it is easy to claim, they would be getting blown out left and right ala what has happened to Tampa Bay lately.

The biggest issue with this team is the puck handling/passing and the break-outs. It defintely has to be one of the 5 worst passing/puck handling teams in the league. The difference in passing from October compared to the rest of the season is night and day. They scored goals because they could actually complete 2 or 3 consecutive passes without disrupting the flow of the attack. Now, it's a miracle when they do. Without good passing the ability to cycle effectively is utterly hopeless.

And also, why is it that the D-men can't be more patient with the puck with each other in their own zone? There used to be D-to-D passing to give the forwards a little time to gear up for the rush. Now, they get the puck and instead of looking at each other they fire it up the ice almost hoping that someone in the same uniform will receive it.

At the very least, unlike last year, we are not seeing that stupid "bounce the puck off the boards" crap from last season.

Old
03-18-2010, 11:43 PM
BwayBshirt

Unlke others however, I don't think that Torts' job would necessarily be in danger if/when Sather departs.

There just aren't too many more attractive options available. Plus I would like to see the man have more to work with for once.

Old
03-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

First game I went to all year and let me just tell you; you really can't see how bad this team is until you see it in person.......that was just straight embarrassing, even more so the fact that Conklin got a win out of that.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Rangerfans

I just want to point out a few obvious things:

1) It's blatantly aware we lack talent. Besides a few guys like Hank and Gaborik, we lack the talent to go anywhere. Just look out our top line.

2) We're just not a consistent team. We haven't been consistent all year and it's so damn frustrating to watch.

3) We have no heart. Say what you will, but when day in, day out, the players say the same rhetoric over and over, and with 11 games left they're still "learning" you have problems.

4) Could this be a coaching problem? It's hard to say. This is Torts first full season as head coach and he's disappointed me a little bit. I expected to see accountability and I haven't found it yet. Accountability is far different than simple "benching." Not one person - from Dolan to the players - is ever accountable for their actions.

5) I am shocked. Utterly shocked that the fans haven't thrown anything on the ice in disgust.

6) This team has absolutely no identity. We have no purpose. You look at the Devils and they have a great goaltender who is the foundation of their team and they built around him. The Rangers do the exact opposite. What's our teams purpose? What's the plan? There is no plan. Everything - from our identity to our team's "cohesiveness" (which isn't there!) - is just random and chaotic. Everything that this team needs to work on...do they even practice it? When you have 3 guys on a 6 on 5, behind the net, you know there is zero cohesiveness.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:49 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
"Rangers playing themselves out of playoffs"

http://www.insidehockey.com/columns/6209

Quote:
But it’s not about consistency anymore. Coming into tonight’s game, they had 12 games left. Consistency isn’t what’s required anymore. A game-by-game approach in which they try to win the match at hand is what’s required.

“Certainly kind of a bitter feeling right now. I thought we played a lot better than we did the other night, but it’s a game of mistakes, and we made a few more mistakes then they did,” Christensen said with a sigh. “There’s certainly a lot of hockey left, but we have to talk about it tomorrow, because right now it’s a bitter feeling.”
I can't ever remember a Rangers locker room that was that down. Granted I've only been covering the team for 2 years, but not even during last year's playoffs were the guys that down. EC, who I highly recommend listening to, looked really upset after the game.

You don't usually hear these guys using words like "tough" and "bitter" -- those were commonplace tonight. I'm not sure what that says about the team, but it can't be good.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Glad I went to go see She's Outta My League instead of watch this crap. If Sather's gone and Messier is the new gm I might revolt. This team needs to clean house from Sather to Torts. Again, stop saying well Torts gets a pass it's not his team. I said it before, Scott Gordon has worse to work with but he gets his team to SHOW UP and play hard. Messier would be an awful replacement. You don't let a rookie front office guy become the GM. Some one mentioned a good choice who's in our organization he was with Boston and Ottawa I think before coming here can't remember the name. Messier is learning from Sather, enough said. This franchise has 1 title in 70 years, now is not the time to throw more years down the toilet with a novice GM.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:30 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanMan View Post

They don't play a direct style of hockey most of the time. When they do play a simple and direct game, which is infrequent, it seems they have pretty much blown their load and just can't perform within the next couple of days the same way.

Is there a pill for this?

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote