HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Recommend a Roller Hockey Chassis?

Old
03-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Recommend a Roller Hockey Chassis?

I'm getting ready to convert some ice skates to roller, and I'm shopping for chassis. Is there anything I need to know? There's a huge disparity in price, from $10 to almost $200.

I have the sizing figured out, and I'm having them professionally installed, so is there anything else I need to consider?

Right now I'm considering these:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...assis-set.html

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm getting ready to convert some ice skates to roller, and I'm shopping for chassis. Is there anything I need to know? There's a huge disparity in price, from $10 to almost $200.

I have the sizing figured out, and I'm having them professionally installed, so is there anything else I need to consider?

Right now I'm considering these:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...assis-set.html
Yes! Becaureful as some ice skates and chassis will not go together.

For instance I had a Mission Chassis that I put on a pair of CCM tacks and it ended up ripping the heel out from the boot within a couple weeks. Once you do stuff like that to you ice skates it generally voids any warranty.

Also a problem can arise when the "holes" on the roller chassis (one or moe) line up with the holes that used to be on the ice chassis. This will not allow for a tight rivet. Kinda like putting a drywall anchor in the exact same place of an old dry wall anchor..wont really stick all that well.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
trisgale

those are fine, I actually did a conversion with those chasis on some old bauer
AIR 90's.

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
WVP

http://www.sprung-inline.com/

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post

Definitely my favorite skate I've ever owned, and that was coming from custom one95s with mission magnesium chassis.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yes!
Thanks, I'm not too concerned about warranty or compatibility since the skates are old and cheap (but comfortable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisgale View Post
those are fine, I actually did a conversion with those chasis on some old bauer
AIR 90's.
That's great, I'm really glad I found someone who has used them.

IRT WVP and Superstar Treatment

Interesting, do they actually "spring?" I'm a little hesitant because I want something as close to an ice blade as possible, and ice chassis don't have any spring in them at all.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:11 PM
WVP

Quote:
Interesting, do they actually "spring?" I'm a little hesitant because I want something as close to an ice blade as possible, and ice chassis don't have any spring in them at all.
I haven't used them but they'd be my choice if I ever convert my ice skates or change my current roller setup.

Closest thing to ice skating from everything I've heard, and if you're going to be converting you might as well do it right.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:01 PM
LarryO

Quote:
I use them and you don't feel them spring because it's a very stiff suspension. It's like a formula one race car suspension. It only springs enough to conform to irregularities in the rolling surface so that all 4 wheels make even contact with the ground, and that improves grip when you turn. Because of that extra grip, you can get away with using harder wheels and benefit from less rolling resistance. It also feels closer to ice skating than any other chassis.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 06:53 AM
dick341

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yes! Becaureful as some ice skates and chassis will not go together.

For instance I had a Mission Chassis that I put on a pair of CCM tacks and it ended up ripping the heel out from the boot within a couple weeks. Once you do stuff like that to you ice skates it generally voids any warranty.

Also a problem can arise when the "holes" on the roller chassis (one or moe) line up with the holes that used to be on the ice chassis. This will not allow for a tight rivet. Kinda like putting a drywall anchor in the exact same place of an old dry wall anchor..wont really stick all that well.
Who did the riveting? How worn were those boots? I've had Mission vanguard chassis put onto Easton boots. I've had sprungs put onto Graf boots. I'm currently using a pair of Bauer XXXX's with vanguard chassis. After all of those skates I have not once had a issue with rivets not holding tight or tearing the boot apart. The only problems I can think of concerning my rivets is that they rust up and break too quickly if anything.

As for the OP I suggest buying the mission aluminum vanguard chassis. I have used both the magnesium alloy and the aluminum chassis and i can't feel any noticeable difference in weight. I have not broken a pair nor have i seen a broken pair unlike what you would more likely see with Tour Hummer chassis or Sprung Voodoo chassis. Sprung Voodoos are very very good chassis but they are so very fragile. I only had my pair of Sprungs for a month before i took a shot off of them which sent my front wheel flying.

dick341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I play defense in sprungs and have taken some really heavy slapshots off them without a problem.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote