HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

Penguins take care of free agency early (trade & signings)

Old
03-17-2010, 10:43 PM
HFNHL PIT GM
The Darth of Tytan

vCash: 500
Penguins take care of free agency early (trade & signings)

Well fellow GM's, I think its well documented my thoughts on the free agency season and I am glad to have taken care of my issues so I could stay out of the market.

First order of business was Andy McDonald. This is a really good asset that I have held onto since the days I paid him 350k. He has always provided awesome value for me, but the time has come that he deserves his pay day and we dont have the cap space.

That being said,with a cap strapped roster, I didnt want to have to rely on a crazy UFA signing to replace is roster spot. After guaging the market, I decided to take a chance on a big over hyped euro centre, Dainus Zubrus. He has 3.5x2 left on his deal and at the end of the process I felt that it was a better deal then what I could score in UFA. Dainus will partner with Peter Mueller to form the core of a 3rd attack line. With Brad Richard & Jason Spezza on lines 1 & 2, the Penguins are looking for balanced scoring.

Andy McDonald & PIT 3, 20100 for Dainus Zubrus, CRL 2, 2011, CRL 5 2010

I then focused on my remaining UFA's and I am pleased to say each player commited to extending their careers in our organization.

Brooks Orpik - $3,850,000 x 4 seasons
Andrew Ference - $1,800,000 x 3 seasons
Jarred Smithson - $762,500 x 1 season
Blair Betts - $850,000 x 2 seasons
Zach Stortini - $700,000 x 2 seasons

Lawrence Nycholat will be given the opportunity to rot in the KHL, lol ;-)

ps ... I am offering PIT 2, 2011 for someone who trade for Alex Tanguay. respond over MSN please ...

HFNHL PIT GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Sensible approach, Robb. It's amazing how much the cap world demands that we be thinking a couple of seasons ahead! It's a very different world than the one the HFNHL started with back in 1998/99...

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:32 AM
islanders

Send a message via ICQ to islanders
Now only of we could bring the minimum salary into the play and mimic the NHL.

islanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders View Post
Now only of we could bring the minimum salary into the play and mimic the NHL.
Not to derail Robb's thread, but I thought that was discussed/was under discussion by the admin team? Possibly phasing it in over the next couple of seasons (i.e. with gradually increasing floors to make them attainable by bottom-end teams)?

That said, in the NHL, the floor exists not to promote parity, but to keep the average NHL salary high for the players' union. There is no such motivation here, so it would be purely for verisimilitude, which of course is a perfectly good reason.

Old
03-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Canuck09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
That said, in the NHL, the floor exists not to promote parity, but to keep the average NHL salary high for the players' union. There is no such motivation here, so it would be purely for verisimilitude, which of course is a perfectly good reason.
Not to further derail the thread but since we are tied to NHL salaries then the Swingsteins are in the business of keeping the HFNHL average salary high for our players union as well aren't they? We play by NHL numbers just not NHL cap, which yes was discussed recently on this board.

I'd like to see a floor put in because to me it does create some sort of level of parity. Some teams may not be able to afford to keep all their top end talent and rebuilders can't afford to stockpile the top prospects for the next 5 years without spending some money in the process.

Canuck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:38 AM
islanders

Quote:
Not to derail Robb's thread, but I thought that was discussed/was under discussion by the admin team? Possibly phasing it in over the next couple of seasons (i.e. with gradually increasing floors to make them attainable by bottom-end teams)?

The big difference between NHL and HFNHL is job security of the GM. In the NHL, the GM would do anything to be competitive while in HFNHL there is no motivation to be in the middle...either you go to the top or drop down to bottom 5 and be rewarded with a high pick and a nice profit.

Old
03-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders View Post
The big difference between NHL and HFNHL is job security of the GM. In the NHL, the GM would do anything to be competitive while in HFNHL there is no motivation to be in the middle...either you go to the top or drop down to bottom 5 and be rewarded with a high pick and a nice profit.
Good point. I expect a salary floor is reasonable, so long as we remain keyed mostly to the NHL in terms of contract values. What I don't want to see is GMs signing marginal players to ridiculous contracts just to reach the floor.

Old
03-18-2010, 11:03 AM
flyershfnhl

Send a message via MSN to flyershfnhl
Quote:
Good point. I expect a salary floor is reasonable, so long as we remain keyed mostly to the NHL in terms of contract values. What I don't want to see is GMs signing marginal players to ridiculous contracts just to reach the floor.
I agree with Doug.

flyershfnhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:51 AM
islanders

Quote:
Same could be said of GM trading NHL player for mid round pick or prospect..I think it will bring some parity among teams if we implement floor.

Old
03-18-2010, 11:57 AM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
I hate the idea of a salary floor. Dismantling your roster and having a 30 mil payroll is one of the few ways teams with no money can build a bank balance in the HFNHL. With the present revenue structure it would just condemn even more teams to poverty forever.

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFlames View Post
I hate the idea of a salary floor. Dismantling your roster and having a 30 mil payroll is one of the few ways teams with no money can build a bank balance in the HFNHL. With the present revenue structure it would just condemn even more teams to poverty forever.
I think the key there is "with the present revenue structure". Personally I think the financial slider needs to be adjusted upwards so that teams can break even at the cap, prior to endorsements and playoff revenues. That way a team at the cap floor (around $40 million?) would still be able to make significant money to restore an ailing bank balance, while contending teams aren't punished financially.

EDIT: I'm going to modify that recommendation slightly, as I realize that if teams spending to the cap break even, there's little risk of a team losing money. (We're still not clear the difference in attendance - and therefore revenues - that being a winning team versus a losing team makes, but IMHO a winning team at or close to the cap shouldn't lose much, if at all). So split the difference: instead of break-even being around $42-44 million, it should maybe be around $50 million for a losing team, so that those who spend to the cap without success on the ice are still risking losing money, just not as much, and they don't need to blow it up down to the floor in order to rebuild their bank accounts.

Last edited by Ohio Jones: 03-18-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Dryden

Send a message via MSN to Dryden Send a message via Skype™ to Dryden
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFlames View Post
I agree

Quote:
I think the key there is "with the present revenue structure". Personally I think the financial slider needs to be adjusted upwards so that teams can break even at the cap, prior to endorsements and playoff revenues. That way a team at the cap floor (around $40 million?) would still be able to make significant money to restore an ailing bank balance, while contending teams aren't punished financially.
I vehemently agree.

Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote