HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you believe in Murray?

View Poll Results: Will the Kings make the playoffs with Murray?
Yes - The Kings will finish 4th, 5th or 6th 40 53.33%
Yes - The Kings will finish 7th or 8th 25 33.33%
No - The Kings will finish out of the playoffs 10 13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2010, 03:22 PM
  #76
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character
 
HYORI 1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 500
Do you believe in Murraycles...???

YESSS!!!

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:24 PM
  #77
BigKing
Spot Picker
 
BigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belmont Shore, CA
Posts: 3,657
vCash: 500
Well, they need offense so putting Parse back in makes sense. He needs to play with some guys that have skill, unlike when he was tacked on with Halpern and Clune. I expect a nice game from Parse tonight.

It's not as much the lines but the players. Simmonds has been awful, as has Johnson. Doughty has not been as good either. The jump in the standings from last season to this season was due to the vastly improved play of Simmonds, Doughty, Quick, Richardson and Johnson...not Brown or Kopitar as much. 4 out of the 5 aforementioned players have been **** since the break with Richardson being "okay" save for the turnover. If they are ****, you basically have last year's squad...that is exactly what we are seeing out there.

The guys I mentioned need to pull their respective games out of the toilet. Jones is Jones, OD is old, Williams is coming off injury, Frolov actually stepped it up...these things are what they are. The guys I mentioned are heavily relied on, especially when you win so many 1 goal games. There isn't much room for error out there so those guys need to be better: much better.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:02 PM
  #78
JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Well, they need offense so putting Parse back in makes sense. He needs to play with some guys that have skill, unlike when he was tacked on with Halpern and Clune. I expect a nice game from Parse tonight.

It's not as much the lines but the players. Simmonds has been awful, as has Johnson. Doughty has not been as good either. The jump in the standings from last season to this season was due to the vastly improved play of Simmonds, Doughty, Quick, Richardson and Johnson...not Brown or Kopitar as much. 4 out of the 5 aforementioned players have been **** since the break with Richardson being "okay" save for the turnover. If they are ****, you basically have last year's squad...that is exactly what we are seeing out there.

The guys I mentioned need to pull their respective games out of the toilet. Jones is Jones, OD is old, Williams is coming off injury, Frolov actually stepped it up...these things are what they are. The guys I mentioned are heavily relied on, especially when you win so many 1 goal games. There isn't much room for error out there so those guys need to be better: much better.
I agree, and this also speaks to what I was saying the other day in the Halpern thread about Simmonds' being better utilized on the 4th line in a shutdown role than in an offensive role.

Yes, Simmonds offense has been great this year, and showing TONS of potential. However Simmonds' success in the NHL has been the result of gritty, obscenely good defensive play, and he has gotten away from that. Simmonds is at his best battling along the boards, backchecking and never backing down on the forecheck. Lately, he is cruising through the slot looking for passes. Not his game. He needs to be on the boards doing the dirty stuff and the chances will come, as they have. I think either reuniting Frolov-Zus-Simmonds or putting Simmonds in a strictly defensive role on 4th line will help get him back on track.

Johnson... I don't what to say about him. I refuse to believe any of this is fatigue from the Olympics. I do however, wonder if the mental disappointment is still working itself in Jack's head. He needs geometry class and learning to share class from kindergarden. I don't know why he is so stubborn about using his defense partner. Nearly every time I see him get the puck in the defensive zone, without fail, he will either try to break it out to the forwards immediately or clear it himself. He seems reluctant to make a short pass to his d partner, regardless of the situation. Maybe this is because of his lack of basic geometry skills, in that he has trouble finding the proper angle/speed to bank the puck off the boards to an open man.

Richardson has been fine, but I feel the opposite of Simmonds. He needs to be used offensively, which is where his strength begins.

Doughty hasn't been bad, he just hasn't been DOughty. He's been human.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:56 PM
  #79
The Judge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
Absolutely.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
  #80
The Judge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
We have never in this position in a long time. 6th place in March. What's amazing is that some people will never get satisfied. Blaming the coach for our struggles?

What's next? Complain why we are in 6th place instead of fifth?

People are just short sighted. It's AMAZING!

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT LINES COMBOS OR STRATEGIES you implement or who the coach is if players don't execute it will have the same result
They are professionals and paid to do their jobs... to be ready physically and mentally.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
  #81
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character
 
HYORI 1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
We have never in this position in a long time. 6th place in March. What's amazing is that some people will never get satisfied. Blaming the coach for our struggles?

What's next? Complain why we are in 6th place instead of fifth?

People are just short sighted. It's AMAZING!

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT LINES COMBOS OR STRATEGIES you implement or who the coach is if players don't execute it will have the same result
They are professionals and paid to do their jobs... to be ready physically and mentally.


I blame it on the generation of immediate gratification.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:56 AM
  #82
Hollywood
Registered User
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I blame it on the generation of immediate gratification.
I disagree. It has nothing to do with recency effect or short sightedness, it has to do with a lack of coach management. It has to do with going with what works. The simplest of examples if to again bring up the 4th line. We had a 9 win streak going and we address with addition of roster players in modin and halpern(and we also get back WILLIAMS) and we lost Ivanans yet we put him back in?
If Ivanans steps on the ice the rest of the year I will not watch another game because he has no business in being there. NONE
WHY with 12 games left is he on the ice? WHY? he does nothing. Perhaps coaching finally realizes.
Scott Parse tonight, great decision. Nobody besides him had less than 10 mins. That is how teams are successful. Yes it was the Isles but we did win. I do not mind Parse knowing before the gm he is only getting 5-8 shifts as he is going to do his best not to get scored against. His best defensively is 10* better than that neanderthal.
If we are lucky enough to make it past the 1st rnd maybe management will address 2nd line centre roles and 4th line and maybe defence also.
Good luck kings.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:28 AM
  #83
Saevel
Registered User
 
Saevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Norway
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
None of the above.

I think Kings will make the playoffs, but I don't think it will be because of Murray. I think he's shown himself to be a somewhat poor bench coach, who struggles with adapting to new situations (both in-game and on a bigger scale, such as when he arrived at the club).

That's not to say he's without qualities of course, but I think he would be better suited as an assistant coach with defensive responsibilities, or something along those lines.

Saevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:33 AM
  #84
Taylor18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Not good enough for the stretch run and playoffs. Phoenix and Colorado are legit playoff teams, the Kings rely on their PP too much.


I still think the Kings will make the playoffs, but I thought Murray was the wrong coach when he was hired and I still believe it today. He is too old school hockey for this young talented team.
Team GP 5 on 5
1 WSH 72 187
2 CHI 71 151
3 PIT 72 151
4 VAN 72 150
5 ATL 71 150
6 SJS 71 143
7 TOR 72 138
8 COL 70 135
9 DAL 71 135
10 NSH 72 134
11 PHX 72 133
12 BUF 70 131
13 OTT 72 131
14 ANA 70 128
15 MIN 71 128
16 LAK 70 125
17 NJD 71 124
18 STL 71 123
19 PHI 71 122
20 EDM 71 121
21 NYR 71 120
22 CAR 71 120
23 NYI 72 119
24 CGY 71 119
25 TBL 71 118
26 FLA 70 117
27 DET 71 117
28 MTL 72 117
29 BOS 70 116
30 CBJ 72 116

COL scored 10 more goals ES and PHX scored 8 more (2 more games) than Kings... what does that work out to per game? D.I.C.K

The Kings have good balance (offense/defense). Just because a team has a good powerplay in the regular season does not mean it will carry over into the playoffs... same as even strength situation.

If Kings can get timely goals and good goaltending, they could do some damage in the Playoffs. How many even thought the Kings would be in this position before the season started?

Taylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:43 AM
  #85
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor18 View Post
COL scored 10 more goals ES and PHX scored 8 more (2 more games) than Kings... what does that work out to per game? D.I.C.K
Right now, 4 more wins for Phoenix. How many 1 goal losses do the Kings have? Would be nice to have a couple more wins right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor18 View Post
The Kings have good balance (offense/defense). Just because a team has a good powerplay in the regular season does not mean it will carry over into the playoffs... same as even strength situation.

If Kings can get timely goals and good goaltending, they could do some damage in the Playoffs. How many even thought the Kings would be in this position before the season started?
I had the Kings making the playoffs before training camp. I'm not surprised at all with the Kings making the playoffs. Phoenix and Colorado are the surprise teams.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:14 PM
  #86
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 18,420
vCash: 500
Murray must have let go with a tirade that had the paint pealing off the lockerroom walls for the defense and Quick to play that well against NYI. LOL!!!

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:32 PM
  #87
Taylor18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Right now, 4 more wins for Phoenix. How many 1 goal losses do the Kings have? Would be nice to have a couple more wins right now.



I had the Kings making the playoffs before training camp. I'm not surprised at all with the Kings making the playoffs. Phoenix and Colorado are the surprise teams.
You can look at it this way... the Kings aren't an easy team to play against... hence all the one goal (losses/wins). How many one game wins/losses does PHX have? PHX has had some stellar goaltending. Does that continue into the Playoffs? PHX could easily be bounced out of the playoffs (first round) as could the Kings. Not all the favorites are going to advance... teams that get good goaltending/defense and get the timely goals whether they be ES or PP will advance.

I for one am glad the Kings aren't the whipping boys of the league anymore. Before the season started did you think the Kings were going to be fighting for 4th/5th spot in the conference? The Kings have exceeded my expections (regular season) and I'm pretty damn happy about that. The Kings haven't played so well since the break; but it's not their first stretch where they struggled. They definitely want to put some wins together heading into the playoffs and regain some confidence.

I'm not always in agreement on how Murray selects his lines, but he has gotten the results...

Hopefully this is close to being accurate:

PHX
One goal losses.... 9
One goal wins.....25

Kings
One goal losses.....14
One goal wins......21

How many are these games are attributed to timely PP/ES goals or timely saves? I would certainly give the edge in goaltending to PHX.


Something we won't see in the Playoffs (Shootouts):

PHX
11 Win
4 Losses

KINGS
9 Wins
4 Losses

Taylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:04 PM
  #88
kingsfan77
Registered User
 
kingsfan77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saevel View Post
None of the above.

I think Kings will make the playoffs, but I don't think it will be because of Murray. I think he's shown himself to be a somewhat poor bench coach, who struggles with adapting to new situations (both in-game and on a bigger scale, such as when he arrived at the club).

That's not to say he's without qualities of course, but I think he would be better suited as an assistant coach with defensive responsibilities, or something along those lines.
Agree 100%.

kingsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:37 PM
  #89
Skyver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,352
vCash: 500
My only problem with Murray is his line juggling, even when there's nothing wrong. Then after he mixes them up, he scratches his head , wondering why the chemistry is gone.

Skyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.