HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Hawks - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
03-19-2010, 02:30 AM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I don't understand all the smart-ass comments on here.

All teams go through ups and downs during the season. Rather have it here than in the playoffs.

I am not concerned. This team will make the playoffs and I believe they will do well. They will also turn the corner soon and start winning some games down the stretch.

Be patient, people. It's a long season.
I'd be more optimistic if they showed signs of improvement, but it seems like the team is getting worse...

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:32 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
At least PSP and Captain Ron should be back soon.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:34 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Like this bit: (Brown)
Quote:
Tonight, in the end it is my fault. I turned the puck over twice on one shift, and it led to a goal. That kind of set the tone for the rest of the game. I think ultimately everyone could be better here. If I make a smarter, better play there we are going to the third period tied 0-0. Maybe we would have had that jump in the third period. We have to come out better, especially in the third period. After it gets to 3-0 the game is pretty much out of hand against a team like that.

“I think it is important for this team, at this time of year, to hit the reset button and come back to work tomorrow. We need to be a lot better in practice tomorrow, and get back to basics. … I think we need to take a look in the mirror, individually and collectively. We all know we have a good team in here and we have shown that this year. We cannot sit here and say we need to be more intense. We need to go out there and do it. That is a matter of taking responsibility, and that is something we will take care of internally. We cannot think of the slide we have been on, or how we have been playing lately. It is all about playing the next game, especially where we are at in the standings. This time of year, we cannot dwell on how we have been playing. We have to focus on how we have to play.”

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Sounds like Brown wants to ignore the coach and step up their game.

Old
03-19-2010, 02:55 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Pokecheck View Post
Choking?

You are holding the present in too high regards. A game now means just as much as a game in October. Points are points.

Teams choke in the playoffs and if they are on the bubble. If they clearly have a playoff position, they just dissapoint. Which is what the Kings did tonight.

The Coyotes, Preds, and Avs all have impressive win streaks, which is making the Kings cold-streak look even worse. But, those 3 teams will cool down, and the Kings will, if not heat back up, at least go back to being average.
I'm about to throw these dice at the Craps table. Maybe you can let me know what numbers are going to come up when they stop rolling? Or what the lotto numbers will be this weekend? You certainly seem to know (from your posts) what WILL HAPPEN in the future.

Because when I watch this team, this team that looks nothing like the one I watched for 59 games before the break, I have no idea what they are going to do, but I do know that TM isnt going to do much during a game to motivate them, and a young team needs a coach who can spark them forward.

Right now our coach is part of the problem as are his system and line combinations. Give Quick a break. Soft goals are often a sign of fatigue.

Get the line combo's back to what all know works, because otherwise this ship isnt going to just right itself, even though Diving pokey thinks it will!

You can keep tooting you own horn

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:56 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Doughty led ALL Kings with 6 turnovers tonight and the offense scored ZERO goals, but hey guess what Jack Johnson sucks and can't read! ZOMG Jones is way better!!!!!!

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:59 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Doughty led ALL Kings with 6 turnovers tonight and the offense scored ZERO goals, but hey guess what Jack Johnson sucks and can't read! ZOMG Jones is way better!!!!!!
Yet, he managed to finish a game where we got destroyed with an even plus/minus, and Johnson ended up with a -2.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 03:01 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Pokecheck View Post
First of all, they only have to play .500 hockey to make it.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 03:24 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

I'm embarrassed to be a Kings' fan right now.

I've been saying it for a week now and everyone has been laughing it off, but this team is not a lock to even make the playoffs. Numbers and all be damned. Nashville is nipping at our heels. Detroit is Detroit, and Calgary can play better, as well.

With that said, even if we do make the playoffs, with the way we've been playing we're going to get swept first round by any of the top three seeds.

Everyone is drunk on the likely possibility of playoff hockey in LA again, but pull your heads out of your *****. This team sucks right now. They suck really, really bad. If they don't start playing better, and get massacred in the playoffs, this season has accomplished nothing except cement Doughty as a top defenseman in the league, and further reinforce that Terry Murray shouldn't have a job.

Just an absolute embarrassment waste of DVR space and waste of my ****ing time to rush home tonight expecting to watch a hockey team that actually looks semi-competent.

****ing joke. **** this team for getting me excited about, you know, cheering for a competent sports' franchise but turning around and choking down the stretch. Again. This is 05/06 all over again.

****ing joke.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 03:32 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I'm embarrassed to be a Kings' fan right now.

I've been saying it for a week now and everyone has been laughing it off, but this team is not a lock to even make the playoffs. Numbers and all be damned. Nashville is nipping at our heels. Detroit is Detroit, and Calgary can play better, as well.

With that said, even if we do make the playoffs, with the way we've been playing we're going to get swept first round by any of the top three seeds.

Everyone is drunk on the likely possibility of playoff hockey in LA again, but pull your heads out of your *****. This team sucks right now. They suck really, really bad. If they don't start playing better, and get massacred in the playoffs, this season has accomplished nothing except cement Doughty as a top defenseman in the league, and further reinforce that Terry Murray shouldn't have a job.

Just an absolute embarrassment waste of DVR space and waste of my ****ing time to rush home tonight expecting to watch a hockey team that actually looks semi-competent.

****ing joke. **** this team for getting me excited about, you know, cheering for a competent sports' franchise but turning around and choking down the stretch. Again. This is 05/06 all over again.

****ing joke.
I'm not there just yet but if they lose to the Isles on Saturday, I might just asterisk this place up too.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 03:40 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Jack Johnson ****ing sucks. I got into a scrap in the Cherry st. parking garage, pulled a no name, knocked a Hawks fan the **** out.
Did you headbutt him? Did you knock out teeth and save them for your collection?

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 03:45 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
One of those should have gone for a goal in the first period but Sharp screwed the pooch. I don't see how everyone completely ignores Doughty giving game winning goals away and turning over the puck at an alarming clip yet focus on Jack. Sure, Jack has had some **** ups but he isn't getting much help from SoD either. SoD seems to have retired sometime in the first half of th eyear.

Old
03-19-2010, 03:53 AM
no name

Quote:
I know but he was really bad tonight. Great in the Olympics to horrendous in his games after.
Dude, I ****ing pinned Jack's problem. His hair has been extra feathery lately. That must be it. Shave that **** Jack.

Old
03-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Malice430

Quote:
The Kings need moar Wilford Brimley. Diabeetus.

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 04:47 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

It's pretty obvious that the team as a whole isn't playing well. Kinda meaningless to try to single individuals out.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

OD and Smyth are looking less like seasoned vets and more like old washed up players the past few games.

Obviously you cant scratch Smyth, but resting OD in favor of Drewiskie would probably be better for both players, OD would be more fresh and DD would have some in game experience in case he is needed with an injury.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 05:04 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Embarrass Themselves Against Chicago

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Embarrass Themselves Against Chicago

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:21 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Like this bit: (Brown)
after this game, i have almost zero interest in what the captain has to say. but i would love to hear DL's thoughts right now, having had a bird's eye view of the whole game and seeing how much worse this kings team is compared the hawks

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Anyone else notice this irony?

the the Kings have spent several seasons trying to become hard to play against. And it must be frustrating seeing that the Ducks, even with their terrible season, is still probably the model of what the Kings are trying to become.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:44 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I'm not there just yet but if they lose to the Isles on Saturday, I might just asterisk this place up too.
Obviously the asterisk reaction is an extreme taken to an extreme, but that's just the kind of person I am, I guess. I just want this team to be good. When they play like crap, it makes me mad. I devote a lot of time and money into cheering for this team on a nightly basis and when they mail in horse**** performances like tonight, well, the asterisks come out in spades.

I remarked to my girlfriend the other night that I haven't watched Kings playoff hockey since high school. That was a really long time ago. And to think that they could totally blow what's been one of the most memorable Kings' seasons of all time is not only infuriating, but it makes me depressed. I know it's just hockey, but like I said, when you put a lot of time into something, you want to see it work out, no matter what it is. As silly as this sounds, the Kings are an extension of myself. I grew up on this team. I remember watching Bob and Jim when I was 4, 5, 6 years old with my Dad and standing up for the National Anthem. When this teams loses, I feel like I lose. And I don't like to lose.

I dunno. Silly rant. I just see too pretty explicit paths this team can take for the rest of this year and next. And the darker path seems almost unbearable: limping into the playoffs, a first round massacre, an up and down start to 10/11, a firing of Terry Murray when it's basically too late. And then where are we? Lombardi's on the hot seat and AEG likely replaces him with some spend thrift retard like Sather who's going to trade away all the Simmonds and Schenns we have for guys like Lecavalier.

That is massive projection, especially considering this team has only been playing like crap for a handful of games, but you catch my drift. It's beyond just saying "well, the bounces haven't been going our way, they need to get back to the system, etc etc." There is something innately "off" about this team right now and it's pretty obvious and disturbing. I don't know if there's some kind of rift in the locker room, or everyone is just tuning Murray out, or they've just plain old stopped caring, but something has looked very wrong with our team lately. Wins over Dallas and Columbus really don't prove anything. Until this team looks good against another legitimate playoff contender, I will continue to be very concerned.

And yes, I've completely lost faith in Terry Murray.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:19 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

As frustrating and mad I was last night I gotta side with Diving Pokecheck on this one. When the Kings were on their latest winning streak you guys were planning the parade and now that they're losing you are declaring the coach and the team dead. Just as the team you should try to not get too high when they win and not get too low when they lose.

That being said, there is definitely cause for concern. We do not want to limp into the playoffs and, god forbid, the Kings miss the playoffs completely it will make that "Kings making the playoffs"-statistic look even more bogus than it already is.

I still have faith that the Kings will put it all together and be a formidable opponent for any team in the playoffs.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Even during the win streak, I thought Murray's "system" is not good for the current style of the NHL. You have to use your defensemen as part of your attack or you are not going to win in the playoffs or even make it. They don't need to score goals, but they have to support the forwards in the offensive zone.

Everyone freaks out at Doughty and Jones for pinching in, but it is the forwards inability to recognize the situation and cover for them. How many times have you seen Doughty skate into the offensive zone only to have no one to pass to in the slot? He usually has to dump the puck in the corner or try and make a one-on-one move and usually turns the puck over. Murray's system is designed to dump it behind the net and hope for a turnover by the other team.

How many times does a Kings play take the puck to the net? Not nearly enough. Watch other NHL games out there and you will see that most teams keep their forwards above the goal line. The Kings usually have 2 or 3 below the goal line and the defenseman are way back at the blueline. There is no suport between the dots in the offensive zone.

It's really frustrating to watch because we all know that the Kings have the players to finish in the top 5 in the West. Now I'm hoping for 7th or 8th.

The reason the PP is successful is because the Kings stop sending all of their forwards below the goal line. The defensemen are still too close to the blueline at times, but at least the forwards are in a position to shoot on goal or have a chance at a rebound.

People are upset with the amount of wrap around goal attempts the Kings make, but it is the only play available when the other forwards are below the goal line and the defensemen are all the way back at the blueline.

I can't wait to see the lineup against New York on Saturday. Maybe Ivanans on a line with Kopitar?

Last edited by Sydor25: 03-19-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old
03-19-2010, 09:57 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

everyones talkin mad crap about terry murray, i've been saying it since day 1, he's not a good coach for today's NHL. Then people give me the Kings record this year, 25-0-0 when leading after 2 periods.. big deal man, I love the defensive system he put it, but it's time for a change. Firing Savard helped the Blackhawks last season, I think firing TM might help the Kings. Mark Hardy is a guy I wouldn't mind seeing behind there, probably the lone bright spot in the Kings coaching staff, other than Bill Ranford. Ken Hitchcock is available, Craig MacT, I'm sure there's a lot more.

At the breakfast meeting, someone asked DL if he talks to TM about this lineup changes, I wonder if he asked about putting Ivanans in the lineup. DL must've loooked at him with disgust, like "are you serious MURPH, I just traded for Halpern to center your 4th line and now you're putting this loser as your 4th line winger?? You do know that the Blackhawks roll with 4 lines, right?"

Tomas Kopecky, 4th liner, then ends up scoring 2 of the 'Hawks 3 goals..

Peace Terry Murray

Last edited by AKAY47: 03-19-2010 at 10:31 AM.
AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Defgarden

New rule: Kings players dont get to party on St. Patty's day when there's a game the next day. Friggin alcoholics man.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Did you headbutt him? Did you knock out teeth and save them for your collection?
No. Just threw a couple of rights.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote