HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs no longer fighting for 8th place

Old
03-19-2010, 12:26 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Habs no longer fighting for 8th place

According to www.sportsclubstats.com, the Montreal Canadiens are officially no longer "fighting for 8th place" as is often mentioned in derision.

The reputable sports statistics site gives the Canadiens a 96% chance to make the playoffs and even calculates the team to have a 51% chance of finishing between 2nd and 6th.

The position the team is most likely to finish in, in order, are:
6th - 33%
7th - 32%
5th - 14%
8th - 13%
3rd - 3%
9th - 3%

All others 1% or less.

I think it is fair to say that the Habs are "competing".

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady

vCash: 50
i hope we finish 6th. Buffalo is the most beatable team in the top 4 imo. 1 point out of 6th...cmon I dont want pitt.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:35 AM
m00ks

Assuming we make it (since I don't want to jinx it ), anybody impressed with the fact that Bob Gainey basically built a team through free agency and the trade market, slapped on a new coach and the group makes the playoffs despite a pletora of injuries?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:35 AM
oleHABSole*

3% for 3rd place
Thats like hitting runner runner in Texas Hold'em,been there done that.I like our chances.

oleHABSole* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:38 AM
oleHABSole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Assuming we make it (since I don't want to jinx it ), anybody impressed with the fact that Bob Gainey basically built a team through free agency and the trade market, slapped on a new coach and the group makes the playoffs despite a pletora of injuries?
Yeah very impressed.If we were to win the Stanley Cup,Gainey would have to be there to hold it.We wouldn't have it any other way anyway.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Habsfan18

Finishing 6th would be great. I'd much rather face off against Buffalo than Pittsburgh or Washington.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:04 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleHABSole View Post
Yeah very impressed.If we were to win the Stanley Cup,Gainey would have to be there to hold it.We wouldn't have it any other way anyway.
This X 1000. It would be such, such, such a GREAT image and such a great feeling to see all the haters get back in their caves.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Slippin Jimmy
You'd Better RUN!

Hopin' for 6th!

Slippin Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:01 AM
M.C.G. 31
4/4 - CP31

vCash: 233
I hope, and think we will get the 6th position at the end of the season.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:36 AM
LouisJCloutier

I'm happy that we got no chance of facing the Bruins in the first round. I'm tired of being agaisnt them in the playoff.

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:41 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

We need to hold down that 6th Place... Get the Sabres!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:50 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
We need to hold down that 6th Place... Get the Sabres!
You guys really want to face Ryan Miller? Goalies own us in the playoffs. Miller is going to be determined after losing that gold medal game. I'd almost rather face the Pens tbh, your gonna have to beat them eventually. Let someone else face Miller.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Pascal

Buffalo is probably better than the Caps and Pens but not by that much.. Miller is the best goalie in the league this year, or close to. With the Caps at least you know they don't play much D.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:55 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Buffalo is probably better than the Caps and Pens but not by that much.. Miller is the best goalie in the league this year, or close to. With the Caps at least you know they don't play much D.
I'd rather face the Caps as well but unfortunately Boston is never passing us.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:10 AM
shutehinside

I don't know why but I think 3rd is very possible, mosre so then the 3%. Montrea plays Buffalo 2more times. That's 2, 4 point games and we're 6 back. If Buffalo continues to faulter as Miller looks like he desperately needs some rest and we get back Cammy and MAB (our PP) in time for the stretch run, I can see us finishing a top the division.

I'm not looking at Philly in the standingings but solely Ottawa and Buffalo. This week starting on Saturday will go a long way to showing us where we finish. If we can beat all 3 then the odds of finishing 1st in our division are much improved. That's much easier said then done but it would be amazing to see after such an up and down season.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:15 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
I couldn't possibly disagree with you more then I do. Buffalo is nowwhere near Washington or Pittsburgh in any terms. Those are 2 of the most elite teams in the league. Buffalo missed the playoffs last year with pretty much the same team they have this year and are faultering big time. They also don't have any players that are anywhere as good as Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, Semin, Gonchar etc. They play a great team game but their fate is entirely dependant on Miller pulling out a win for them. As good as Miller is, he looks like he's out of gas and probably won't be much of a factor as they play him for 70 games a year.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Call me crazy but this is probably the 1st time in 15 years I wouldn't mind seeing the Habs play the Devils in the playoffs.Brodeur is not looking that great and this year we have played pretty well against them and Kovalchuk doesn't scare me on that team.If we could pressure that defense we could beat them and I'm sure Gio and Gomez would be loving that matchup and step up big time for a playoff series against the Devils

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:27 AM
oleHABSole*

Quote:
You rather play Caps +78 rather then Sabres +16

Old
03-19-2010, 07:28 AM
jcpenny

Every year its the same story, we fight for a playoff spot and people want to choose the opponents. For my part, i dont care and the Habs shouldnt also. Finish the season strong and be ready for anybody. To be the best you have to beat the best, i wouldnt want it any other way.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleHABSole View Post
You rather play Caps +78 rather then Sabres +16
I don't get that one either but what ever.Yes the Sabres have a great goalie but they won't score 4-5 goals a game like the Pens and Caps could put up.I think the Caps or Pens wouldn't need more then 5 games to get rid of Buffalo if they would meet in the post season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:44 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I wonder when we face buffalo again if we're going to play better than the last times we played against them.

I dont like Miller...I developped a hate for this guy but I would love to see AK score again a one timer slapshot from the right side on the PP...that was EPIC!!!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:46 AM
LesCanadiens

Go Habs Go

PS: Thanks Bob. And here's to all the idiots that know sweet FA about NHL Hockey:

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:58 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Call me crazy but this is probably the 1st time in 15 years I wouldn't mind seeing the Habs play the Devils in the playoffs.Brodeur is not looking that great and this year we have played pretty well against them and Kovalchuk doesn't scare me on that team.If we could pressure that defense we could beat them and I'm sure Gio and Gomez would be loving that matchup and step up big time for a playoff series against the Devils
You're crazy. I don't really want to play NJ, no matter how Brodeur has looked. I think Buffalo might be preferred for me, but Miller would be hard to beat, but at least they aren't quite as offensive as the Caps and Pens.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguy10 View Post
i hope we finish 6th. Buffalo is the most beatable team in the top 4 imo. 1 point out of 6th...cmon I dont want pitt.
The tricky thing is that NJ could very realistically pass Pitts and then fifth place would have to face the Penguins. Finishing 6th is definitely the safest in terms of matchups. I agree, Buffalo can be beaten, although Ryan Miller is a truly outstanding goalie.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Iwishihadacup

Thanks to Bob Gainey

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote