HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs no longer fighting for 8th place

Old
03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Santino

vCash: 500
gainey

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Aside from Washington, who we won't match up against anyways, there's no other team that I don't think the Canadiens can upset. Even Pittsburgh. If we get it all going and get into the playoffs on a winning streak, who knows.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:01 AM
ThaDevilGirl

It feels good to have some sort of security a few games before the beginning of the playoffs. Hopefully the streak continues? *knocks on wood*

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Thanks to Bob Gainey
Replace Gainey with Halak, and you got it right.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Call me crazy but this is probably the 1st time in 15 years I wouldn't mind seeing the Habs play the Devils in the playoffs.Brodeur is not looking that great and this year we have played pretty well against them and Kovalchuk doesn't scare me on that team.If we could pressure that defense we could beat them and I'm sure Gio and Gomez would be loving that matchup and step up big time for a playoff series against the Devils
Oh I agree entirely. Brodeur is beatable nowaway...... Miller isn't.

I want to face the Devils.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Well, not entirely. We are where because since the Olympic break, we've had to depend on our goalie once to win and we lost that game. Now that we have a healthy team we've been allowing significantly fewer shots and scoring chances.

For the first time all year it's our team winning the games.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Well, not entirely. We are where because since the Olympic break, we've had to depend on our goalie once to win and we lost that game. Now that we have a healthy team we've been allowing significantly fewer shots and scoring chances.

For the first time all year it's our team winning the games.
you couldnt be more right!

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
4Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
You're crazy. I don't really want to play NJ, no matter how Brodeur has looked. I think Buffalo might be preferred for me, but Miller would be hard to beat, but at least they aren't quite as offensive as the Caps and Pens.
The 'Canes were happy they faced Brodeur last year.

Unfortunately, there are problems with every team the Habs may line up against but I would agree that this would be the year I'd be least scared to face the Devils. Then again, Brodeur may be looking to regain his reputation...

4Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Eliea

I don't think Pittsburgh is going to be too difficult if we wind up against them. Much better then Washington. Fluery hasn't been strong all year (.906 / 2.65), they seem to be lacking a punch these days. Malkin is still out with a nagging foot so it'll take him a couple of games after he returns to start to get on his game.

I don't know, I think I feel as confident about Pittsburgh as I do Buffalo. NJ and Washington scare me much, much more then Pittsburgh, I'll tell you that much.

Eliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Habskrieg

I don't see us facing the caps (except in 2nd round or third maybe), not if things go this way, not a bad thing imo. Personally, I don't mind who we face. All I want is not to face the Flyers this play off, ever. You just know that the Flyers are gona bruise you pretty bad even if they lose. I would rather face the team that beats them.
But in first round, NJ, Pitt or Buff... They all have their pros and cons. And you never know how each team, including the ones i didnt mention, will play. So any of those three, bring it on! We're gona plow through!

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliea View Post
I don't think Pittsburgh is going to be too difficult if we wind up against them. Much better then Washington. Fluery hasn't been strong all year (.906 / 2.65), they seem to be lacking a punch these days. Malkin is still out with a nagging foot so it'll take him a couple of games after he returns to start to get on his game.

I don't know, I think I feel as confident about Pittsburgh as I do Buffalo. NJ and Washington scare me much, much more then Pittsburgh, I'll tell you that much.
I don't think so,I still think the Penguins are the team to beat when we enter the playoffs.Fleury hasn't had the best year but how could you be more comfortable with Theodore or Varlamov?The caps have a great line coming at you and a deadly pp but the Pens have 3 top notch centers and a pp that could be just as good with Malkin,Crosby,Letang,Gonchar.the only thing that could beat Pittsburgh is fatigue from the previous 2 seasons having made it to the finals.If they can get easy series and end them quickly I don't think anyone beats them,could be wrong.Anyways the way we are playing right now and our 3rd line especially I don't mind playing any of the top teams,not saying we will beat them but I do have a good feeling

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I couldn't possibly disagree with you more then I do. Buffalo is nowwhere near Washington or Pittsburgh in any terms. Those are 2 of the most elite teams in the league. Buffalo missed the playoffs last year with pretty much the same team they have this year and are faultering big time. They also don't have any players that are anywhere as good as Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, Semin, Gonchar etc. They play a great team game but their fate is entirely dependant on Miller pulling out a win for them. As good as Miller is, he looks like he's out of gas and probably won't be much of a factor as they play him for 70 games a year.
Pittsburgh went had back to back seasons that went as far as Game 7 in the POs.
Maybe they'll be okay in the 1st round, but I don't expect them to get past the 2nd round. You can say the same about Detroit, not to mention their goalie situation (if they even make the POs).

This is a weird year, in the East, Boston will have a tough time keeping that 8th spot without Savard. The Rangers have a bad team imo, but they could very well get that spot. I don't think Atlanta will surprise everyone and get into the POs but I could be wrong.
Philly will have a tough time in the POs unless Boucher can do miracles. Their safest bet would be to face the Sens.

Washington will be favored to win the East, arguably easily. Then you have the Devils even though Brodeur is not having the best year. The fatigue factor should set the Pens back a bit, but with such great players it will never be easy to beat them.
After those three teams, I really feel like we should be next.

We could get into the PO riding a very hot streak and with a healthy roster for the first time in the season. We have a remarkable record since Markov is back, one that would easily put us in the top 3 over the pace of a full year. With Halak playing as well as he has, our offense producing, our depth players filling their proper roles and our D finally being coming around, I don't see any team wish to face us.

We could really be a tough team to beat.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:17 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Mediocre team

Go Habs Go!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
GTFO.

Gainey didn't trade Halak, ergo it's Gainey who gets the praise.

Well, really it's the team that does.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Assuming we make it (since I don't want to jinx it ), anybody impressed with the fact that Bob Gainey basically built a team through free agency and the trade market, slapped on a new coach and the group makes the playoffs despite a pletora of injuries?
Personally, I am not surprised at all.

The man assembled the team with mostly proven playoff performers.

And... Hab fans are generally too quick to trash players when they struggle...

Also... many "experts" don't seem to realize (right or wrong) the tremendous importance of The General

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:44 AM
neofury*

I actually want Pittsburgh, I have a feeling if we get Buffalo we're done for, Buffalo just gives me a bad feeling, NJ does also.

Would much rather Pitts or Washington, for a massive upset.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:40 PM
m00ks

Devils haven't been as scary in the post-season since the lock-out. A very beatable team. I'm actually more afraid of Miller than Brodeur at this point. As for the Pens, after the cup and the Olympics, I just can't picture this guy loosing a playoff series ever again lol. He just exudes win and I personally think he'd tear us to pieces.

Other than Washington and Pittsburgh, I like our chances against anyone, but Buffalo might be just as dangerous. Washington has offensive hackage, Pittsburgh has generational talents and Sabres have that ace that can trump your hand at any given night.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Assuming we make it (since I don't want to jinx it ), anybody impressed with the fact that Bob Gainey basically built a team through free agency and the trade market, slapped on a new coach and the group makes the playoffs despite a pletora of injuries?
it REALLLLY makes you wonder..

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Thanks to Bob Gainey
Thanks to Gauthier to have improved our 3rd line and not having changed more for change's sake.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Habskrieg

I trust we can make the playoffs and I trust we have good chances of keeping 5th or 6th with some fair amount of good work. But we are far from being in the playoffs yet, there's till 11 games for us some teams have 12. That makes for a lot of points. I like our chances. I believe we'll go far. But let's keep our cool.

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Aside from Washington, who we won't match up against anyways, there's no other team that I don't think the Canadiens can upset. Even Pittsburgh. If we get it all going and get into the playoffs on a winning streak, who knows.
Four out of seven against the Penguins or Devils? I'm skeptical of that but who am I to dispel your dreams?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Corey

Quote:
There are goaltenders in the NHL who are as good as or better than Halak who won't be in the playoffs, so you should also give credit to his teammates as well as to management for the Habs' modest success this season. Keep in mind that the Habs led the conference in 2007-08 without a contribution from Halak. If the Habs are quickly eliminated in the first round the reality will jolt you like an icy shower.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:25 PM
BaseballCoach

Update!

Updated after today's games.

The www.sportsclubstats.com site now gives the Canadiens a 95% chance to make the playoffs and calculates the team to have a 56% chance of finishing between 2nd and 6th.

The position the team is most likely to finish in, in order, are:
6th - 34%
7th - 27%
5th - 20%
8th - 12%
9th - 4%

All others 1% or less.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 03-20-2010 at 10:04 PM.
BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
BaseballCoach

Latest update!

Updated after today's games.

The www.sportsclubstats.com site now gives the Canadiens a 94% chance to make the playoffs and calculates the team to have a 58% chance of finishing between 2nd and 6th.

The position the team is most likely to finish in, in order, are:
6th - 30%
5th - 27%
7th - 23%
8th - 14%
9th - 5%

All others 1% or less.

On a side note, the Rangers, now in 10th place, have seen their playoff chances drop to only 7%.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote