HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How about this for an idea?

Old
03-19-2010, 07:47 AM
rocknrollnobody

vCash: 500
How about this for an idea?

OK, before it gets shot down, hear me out.

Detroit have no real enforcers right? And this can't be ignored when you look at the injuries we've sustained this year. Would we have had those injuries if we had a feared enforcer on the roster? Maybe not.

May is playing in Grand Rapids, gets minimal ice-time on the 4th line when he is on the Wings, and is also getting a bit old (will be 39 this year) to be fighting the likes of Boll (aged 23), Barch (28), Peters (29) or Carkner (29).

Therefore, I think we need to look at big enforcers, and what their team needs, that we can supply.

Obviously, I think first choice would be Colton Orr. Now, the Leafs are, despite collecting some on deadline day, looking for draft picks and scoring forwards. We have draft picks, and we have Abdelkader.

What are everyone's thoughts on:

Abdelkader, mid-round 2011 pick, (possibly also Janik or Kindl)

FOR

Colton Orr

rocknrollnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:34 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollnobody View Post

Detroit have no real enforcers right? And this can't be ignored when...
BANG!

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:36 AM
rocknrollnobody

Set myself up for that one really didn't I?!

Old
03-19-2010, 08:39 AM
jacK

BIG BANG!!

just god-awful.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:42 AM
jkrx

Quote:

Detroit have no real enforcers right? And this can't be ignored when you look at the injuries we've sustained this year. Would we have had those injuries if we had a feared enforcer on the roster? Maybe not.

May is playing in Grand Rapids, gets minimal ice-time on the 4th line when he is on the Wings, and is also getting a bit old (will be 39 this year) to be fighting the likes of Boll (aged 23), Barch (28), Peters (29) or Carkner (29).

Therefore, I think we need to look at big enforcers, and what their team needs, that we can supply.

Obviously, I think first choice would be Colton Orr. Now, the Leafs are, despite collecting some on deadline day, looking for draft picks and scoring forwards. We have draft picks, and we have Abdelkader.

FOR

Colton Orr
ROFL... holy hell what an over payment... you could probably get Orr for a 4th rounder or simply just draft a mean machine from the junior leagues and/or call up OKT. We could also just sign one of the following

Eric Boulton
Josh Gratton
Shawn Thornton
Jamal Mayers
Brian McGrattan
Adam Burish
David Koci
Krys Barch
Raitis Ivanans
Derek Boogard
Wade Belak
Jody Shelley
Arron Asham

So I dont see why detroit would want to overpay to get an enforcer when they can just sign one of the many enforcers currently on UFA contracts.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
HockeyinHD

Seeing this crazy trade proposal got me to look at the Leafs roster for a second, and I saw something I've never seen before.

They don't have a single player I'd want on the Wings, given the contract tied to the guy.

Not a single one. That's pretty amazing.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:19 AM
The Yzerman
1983 - 4th Overall

Wow, a 2nd AND Abdelkader for Orr? Holy overpayment Batman.

I'd give a 6th rounder for Orr, but the Wings would probably missing out on a franchise player

The Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Shoalzie

I'm against dressing an actual enforcer...it's a waste of a roster spot. What I wish this team had was a power forward that can score as well as drop the gloves. There aren't any Brendan Shanahan-type players that will fall into their lap but you almost look at this team it looks like this is a very good team that is missing one piece from being THE team again.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
I'm against dressing an actual enforcer...it's a waste of a roster spot. What I wish this team had was a power forward that can score as well as drop the gloves. There aren't any Brendan Shanahan-type players that will fall into their lap but you almost look at this team it looks like this is a very good team that is missing one piece from being THE team again.
It would just be a waste if he was dressed for every game. Having a well known enforcer in the line up could provide energy to the team specially during injury pruned seasons like this one. Just look at Detroit during the '98 season without Stevie, Feds and Shanny. Ofcourse we had a much better team back then but I still give credit to the bottom 6.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:07 AM
crashman

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Seeing this crazy trade proposal got me to look at the Leafs roster for a second, and I saw something I've never seen before.

They don't have a single player I'd want on the Wings, given the contract tied to the guy.

I'd take Kaberle, but that's about it.

OP, this is an god awful idea. I wouldn't want Orr on the Wings peroid but I wouldn't cry if they signed him for league minimum as a free agent. I wouldn't give them ****all for him much less a solid player like Abdelkader and a 2nd round pick.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:37 AM
DetBigWangs

The late 90's teams was amazing in part because our enforcer (McCarty) can deke a goalie out of his pads. So really, he was more like power forward-lite.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:45 AM
rocknrollnobody

OK, I admit maybe the bargaining chips were a little in Toronto's favour on reflection.

However, nobody is against the idea of needing a well-known enforcer, or a forward that's willing to rumble.

I take it we all agree the Wings are in need of some meatheadedness. I agree that having a player who's only role is to beat the living snot out of other players can be a wasted jersey, but there's so few forwards out there who are willing to fight, as well as put up 20-ish goals, that I don't think we can be too picky.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
sarcastro

The Wings would need an enforcer that could at least work the PK or something when he wasn't fighting. Haven't found one since Mac left the first time. Dressing a guy who can't play but can fight is not going to happen.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:55 AM
jkrx

So basically we are looking to sign

Josh Gratton
Shawn Thornton
Jamal Mayers
Adam Burish
Krys Barch
Arron Asham

or trade for a guy like Neil, Ruutu, Lucic, Simmonds etc etc.

Old
03-19-2010, 11:25 AM
rocknrollnobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
So basically we are looking to sign

Josh Gratton
Shawn Thornton
Jamal Mayers
Adam Burish
Krys Barch
Arron Asham

or trade for a guy like Neil, Ruutu, Lucic, Simmonds etc etc.
This ^^

Old
03-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post

Carl Gunnarsson 0.626 +11 on a team that collectively is -16

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:16 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Carl Gunnarsson 0.626 +11 on a team that collectively is -16
örebro baby!!!

i'd take him over any bottom line D we have. such a smart defensive defender who keeps the game simple.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
örebro baby!!!

i'd take him over any bottom line D we have. such a smart defensive defender who keeps the game simple.

Including..... you know........????

Old
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Including..... you know........????
yeah, including

i follow calle's steps since he was 15/16 and he plays the defensive game i like. the puck comes into his zone and he gets the puck out. no extra pass, no wannabe playmaking, just the simple game. that's how i want a 3rd liner to be. and he has some decent offensive tools too, he can move the puck on PP for example. better than williams.

so yeah, calle over any of our bottom liners. and he's signed cheap for next season too.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:24 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:

FOR

Colton Orr
**** NO!!

BOOM! lol, Orr is useless and our PK is not that good that we would have to go to it every shift Orr actually plays. Useless. I think Abdelkader can grow to be a good fighter, he definitely looks like he has the confidence and temper. Ericsson would be awesome with that build, but his confidence is just shot.

btw, while we are on the topic, I think Lucic is overrated. Gets injured too often and don't think he would fit that well in this team IMO.

ProPAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
It would just be a waste if he was dressed for every game. Having a well known enforcer in the line up could provide energy to the team specially during injury pruned seasons like this one. Just look at Detroit during the '98 season without Stevie, Feds and Shanny. Ofcourse we had a much better team back then but I still give credit to the bottom 6.

I think a guy in the mold of Scott Hartnell to play on the second line would be gold for this team. I think the Capitals, Flyers, Canucks and Blackhawks have it right with how they've got a great mix of skill and grit. The Wings could use one more scorer that can rub other teams the wrong way. They've got too many "nice" players. They could use a "*******".

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:41 PM
14ari13

The Wings can get the best wrestler, Laraque, in the leauge for free.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:54 PM
THW

Zenon Konopka, he could take take the Maltby or maybe Draper spot, winning face offs, energy line, and he drops the gloves. Send Meech or Lebda or the like to Tampa Bay.

THW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:04 PM
chances14

Quote:

FOR

Colton Orr

I respectfully disagree completely

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:09 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
LUCIC!!!! or Simmonds, Clarkston, or Downie. Some people seem to think Lucic is overated so I say we go for Clarkston, he will probably cost the least amount to get.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote