HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

3/19/10 Should Eberle play this year as an Oiler?

View Poll Results: Should Eberle play this year as an Oiler?
yes 62 60.19%
no 32 31.07%
I'm not sure 9 8.74%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Walsher

vCash: 500
I find it humerous to read some "experts" in the papers and on the web saying things like "they are being careful with his development so he likely won't play in the NHL this year". What? How would 8-9 games stunt a guys development? Even if they were unsuccessful. They have basically committed to him for next season - a few games this season would be nothing but a litmus test for next year. To me it is the perfect time. No expectations of leading the team to wins, if he underachieves no big deal, and he is coming off an offensively dominating season where his confidence offensively will NEVER be higher. The rewards outweigh the risks and I would be shocked if he didn't play a game this year.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Roof Daddy

Maybe Tambo fears they will win games with him in the lineup? Maybe once the magic number (7) is reached and we've officially sealed 30th we'll see Ebs.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Was at one of the sessions that the Oilers have been putting on recently. In it, Tambellini basically stated that there was nothing in it for them to bring him in to the current locker room. Felt that he had played lots of hockey this year and that it would be a good part of his professional prep to spend the time in the AHL.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Delta Cubes

Springfield in OT. How fitting would it be if Eberle scored the GWG?

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Moreau has played terribly all year, and doesn't want to be here.

Gainey sent Laraque home, and announced that he would be bought out in the summer. The same should be done for Moreau.
Although it is clear to me as well that Moreau should no longer be part of the future, that was a pretty douchey move by Gainey and I would be disappointed if Tambo did the same with Moreau. He has served this team well over his career. One bad season wouldn't excuse that kind of move.

I don't think the org needs to be "throwing a bone" to the fans either by bringing up Eberle. He looked good in pre-season but that's a completely different beast. Facing teams that in getting amped up for the playoffs is another experience altogether. Detroit has proven that letting players season in the AHL is usually the best way to go.

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Although it is clear to me as well that Moreau should no longer be part of the future, that was a pretty douchey move by Gainey and I would be disappointed if Tambo did the same with Moreau. He has served this team well over his career. One bad season wouldn't excuse that kind of move.

I don't think the org needs to be "throwing a bone" to the fans either by bringing up Eberle. He looked good in pre-season but that's a completely different beast. Facing teams that in getting amped up for the playoffs is another experience altogether. Detroit has proven that letting players season in the AHL is usually the best way to go.
How is a maximum of 9 games in the NHL going to hurt him? Its going to let him know what he needs to work on over the summer to give him the best possible chance of making the team next season. Like you said it would be another experience altogether. An experience that would open his eyes to what he is really up against. Its an experience that I can see only positive outcomes from, aside from injuries but that can happen in the AHL too.

I don't care if I get to see him play or not, I care about his development and I think a few NHL games this season would help him in his development.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
How is a maximum of 9 games in the NHL going to hurt him? Its going to let him know what he needs to work on over the summer to give him the best possible chance of making the team next season. Like you said it would be another experience altogether. An experience that would open his eyes to what he is really up against. Its an experience that I can see only positive outcomes from, aside from injuries but that can happen in the AHL too.

I don't care if I get to see him play or not, I care about his development and I think a few NHL games this season would help him in his development.
I don't think giving him this opportunity would give him a sense of "entitlement" for next season either. Eberle's proves he's a hard worker and he's got good character. Besides, at the moment he's expecting to finish the season with the A but he'd love the opportunity to play in the NHL.

1 goal 1 assist +1 in his first game tonight.

Old
03-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Calamus

vCash: 729
Did you see the shots in that Springfield game?

They were out shot 55-26.

Calamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
With Eberle and the top pick this season, there is much to look forward to next season.

Also with new faces and the cancerous tumors been cut out.. along with the players coming back from injury, this team is not gonna finish in the bottom five next season.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
Did you see the shots in that Springfield game?

They were out shot 55-26.
Who played goal for them?

Old
03-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Roof Daddy

5pts 2gms. Another multipoint game and why wouldn't they give him a go? What more would he have to prove?

You wan't to raise ticket prices again and your fan appreciation for the folks who have sat through abysmal hockey this year (for the most part) is to not show them a reason to buy tickets next year????

FREE EBERLE!

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:36 AM
paperbagOilfan

EXACTLY... 9 games wont hurt him. it will make him better. he's proving that he would benefit from playing at a higher level based on his perfomances in the 2 games hes played for springfield

paperbagOilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Dabomb

Watch Eberle win the AHL player of the week award. I want to see him this year.. give a dog a bone.. will ya?

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
5pts 2gms. Another multipoint game and why wouldn't they give him a go? What more would he have to prove?

You wan't to raise ticket prices again and your fan appreciation for the folks who have sat through abysmal hockey this year (for the most part) is to not show them a reason to buy tickets next year????

FREE EBERLE!
I think bringing Eberle to Edmonton for the fans is a horrible Idea. Bring him because he will benefit from playing a few games in the NHL not because the fans want to see him play.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
paperbagOilfan

agreed ^

paperbagOilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:01 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I think bringing Eberle to Edmonton for the fans is a horrible Idea. Bring him because he will benefit from playing a few games in the NHL not because the fans want to see him play.
Ditto, and I think making a player pay his dues in the farm will make him a better player long run. There's no point risking having our young players gaining a sense of self entitlement when they get to the NHL because they dominated in junior and were handed a roster spot. Every step of the way they should be put on a level playing field with their peers. No one gets up top without taking the stairs, one step at a time (As long as its possible, ie Hall or Seguin).

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

We have a Canadian version of Zach Parise in our system. All he really needs is explosiveness in his skating.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:36 AM
HOCKEY_GURU

I agree that players should not be handed a job or have a sense of entitlement, but I also beleive that those that have showed that they deserve the chance - be given the chance. So has Eberle shown he deserve a chance?
WHL - destroyed it
WJC - has done everything expected of him and then some
AHL - 9 points in 9 games last year...5 in two this year
NHL - Pre season - looked great

has he dissapointed anywhere?? NO , does he deserve the chance? definitely....will a couple games in the NHL hurt him? I dont see it......but those saying not to bring him up have "A THEORY" , which I disagree with!

HOCKEY_GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Snack View Post
We have a Canadian version of Zach Parise in our system. All he really needs is explosiveness in his skating.
There are a lot of similiarties between the two. Both smallish, drafted later in the first round, WJC MVP's and both work their ***** off. But Eberle's > Parise because he's Canadian

Old
03-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEY_GURU View Post
I agree that players should not be handed a job or have a sense of entitlement, but I also beleive that those that have showed that they deserve the chance - be given the chance. So has Eberle shown he deserve a chance?
WHL - destroyed it
WJC - has done everything expected of him and then some
AHL - 9 points in 9 games last year...5 in two this year
NHL - Pre season - looked great

has he dissapointed anywhere?? NO , does he deserve the chance? definitely....will a couple games in the NHL hurt him? I dont see it......but those saying not to bring him up have "A THEORY" , which I disagree with!
100 % agree with this.
the oilers aren't playing for anything but pride, and there is absolutly no pressure, bringing him up for 9 games wouldn't hurt him at all, it would only benifit him.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:57 AM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

To anyone who thinks Eberle should come to the show this year:

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY DEAD WRONG!

Yes Eberle might be able to play there. Yes he might be able to help the team. And Yes he might even add some excitement to the games to which you, season ticket holders, hold tickets to.

BUT!!!!!!!

For all of these reasons and many more this is a mistake.

Currently, the oilers obviously suck. And even more so, currently, the Oilers have an extremely toxic dressing room where losing has become an epidemic. Losing is fun for no one. Losing sucks the souls out of players, fans and the media. Eberle needs nothing to do with this extreme suckage we have performed to this entire year.

Eberle has dominated the AHL over the last 11 games he has played there. Unfortunately 9 of those were played last year and only two have happened this year. Therefore, this is an absolutely unrepresentative sample.

What happens if from now on he goes pointless??? Or what happens if he comes to the show and goes pointless???? Then what?

Is it not better for him to continue his strong play for the rest of the season where he is? - which is already a step up from the WHL. I definitely say so. Impatience will, or could be, the death of this player. He is not a 6.4 ryan getzlaf or a player who is physically ready to play against men of NHL stature. I am not saying he is not capable, but that he should be allowed to adjust.

Of course it would be nice to see him score 30 goals in the NHL this season over the next 13 games, but it would be even better if he did it next season over 82 games and then did it again and again and again.

Simply, there is no use to bringing him up and into the toxic room we have now. Do you want Moreau teaching him how to take defensive end penalties, or our tougher players not being around to allow him to be Boogarded and have his season ended? This will all most likely not happen with him in the AHL, why not allow him to take baby steps instead of throwing him to the wolves when we have no reason to.

Anyways, I really disagree with bringing him up for anything more than the last game or two. Anyone who disagrees is just an impatient season ticket holder suffering from their own disgust of having to endure this season for a higher price than those who took it in through the television instead.

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post

Yes Eberle might be able to play there. Yes he might be able to help the team. And Yes he might even add some excitement to the games to which you, season ticket holders, hold tickets to.

BUT!!!!!!!

Currently, the oilers obviously suck. And even more so, currently, the Oilers have an extremely toxic dressing room where losing has become an epidemic. Losing is fun for no one. Losing sucks the souls out of players, fans and the media. Eberle needs nothing to do with this extreme suckage we have performed to this entire year.

Eberle has dominated the AHL over the last 11 games he has played there. Unfortunately 9 of those were played last year and only two have happened this year. Therefore, this is an absolutely unrepresentative sample.

What happens if from now on he goes pointless??? Or what happens if he comes to the show and goes pointless???? Then what?

Is it not better for him to continue his strong play for the rest of the season where he is? - which is already a step up from the WHL. I definitely say so. Impatience will, or could be, the death of this player. He is not a 6.4 ryan getzlaf or a player who is physically ready to play against men of NHL stature. I am not saying he is not capable, but that he should be allowed to adjust.

Of course it would be nice to see him score 30 goals in the NHL this season over the next 13 games, but it would be even better if he did it next season over 82 games and then did it again and again and again.

Simply, there is no use to bringing him up and into the toxic room we have now. Do you want Moreau teaching him how to take defensive end penalties, or our tougher players not being around to allow him to be Boogarded and have his season ended? This will all most likely not happen with him in the AHL, why not allow him to take baby steps instead of throwing him to the wolves when we have no reason to.

Anyways, I really disagree with bringing him up for anything more than the last game or two. Anyone who disagrees is just an impatient season ticket holder suffering from their own disgust of having to endure this season for a higher price than those who took it in through the television instead.
You are God.

Old
03-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Oilers1*

Tambellini also pointed out. . . Eberle has played a ton of hockey this year, and in a lot of high-pressure situations (WJC's, struggling Junior team). Yes, he's answered every challenge so far, but why keep adding to the load if you don't have to? He's doing well in the AHL, leave him there and let him continue to build his confidence playing against professionals.

Also, another perspective to consider; Seguin or Hall. Whoever we draft is going to break camp next year will unbelievable expectations and pressure on him. So make game 1 of the 2010-2011 season, both Hall/Seguin's first game in the league, and Eberle's first. Divide up the pressure so the media and fans don't just focus on one guy.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post
Tambellini also pointed out. . . Eberle has played a ton of hockey this year, and in a lot of high-pressure situations (WJC's, struggling Junior team). Yes, he's answered every challenge so far, but why keep adding to the load if you don't have to? He's doing well in the AHL, leave him there and let him continue to build his confidence playing against professionals.

Also, another perspective to consider; Seguin or Hall. Whoever we draft is going to break camp next year will unbelievable expectations and pressure on him. So make game 1 of the 2010-2011 season, both Hall/Seguin's first game in the league, and Eberle's first. Divide up the pressure so the media and fans don't just focus on one guy.
Just like the Blackhawks did with Kane and Toews.

Old
03-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post

Oh wow, where should I kneel ?

Quote:
Drum roll...

Quote:
BUT!!!!!!!
Looks like a big but.

Quote:

Quote:
Currently, the oilers obviously suck.
Thats the best reason I've heard yet.

Quote:
And even more so, currently, the Oilers have an extremely toxic dressing room where losing has become an epidemic.
Thats been changing for the last few games. Have you not watched any Springfield games this season ? Yeah..

Quote:
Losing is fun for no one. Losing sucks the souls out of players, fans and the media. Eberle needs nothing to do with this extreme suckage we have performed to this entire year.
Again, have you watched any Springfield games this season ?

Quote:
Its a small sample but its near the end of the season so that cannot be helped.

Quote:
The sun will still rise the next day and, for Eberle, he now knows what more he has to do to further his game via what he needs to work on to improve as a player over the summer. Thats what experience does. Nobody is going to hold a 19 year old kid for ransom over a few games he didn't get points in.. especially a season we expect to finish last in anyways. There is nothing to fear but fear itself and the people who like to spread it. We're talking about 5-9 games. I better hide under a bed, damn thats scary.

Quote:
This isn't a debate about size of a player and the impatients of the fans (maybe some fans) but a debate about what is best for his development. Eberle is a go getter and those kind of players need a challenge to better themselves. He has thus far adjusted to every level with ease. Nine games will never kill a player.. unless boogerman decides to knee him or donkey punch him in the back of the head. His confidence level wont demolish for going pointless in nine games.

Quote:
Nobody is expecting that much. Hyperbole much ?

Quote:
Simply, there is no use to bringing him up and into the toxic room we have now.
Who says the 'toxic' couple of players need to play the rest of the season. I only count 3 warts and one has a hurt finger. He'll be fine. The Oilers had such a crappy season mostly due to injuries. When any team loses their best goaltender, forward and 500 man games lost.. we'll see how they do in the standings. The warts obviously didn't help the situation but its not bad enough where Eberle comes up to play for nine games and all of a sudden he himself is infested.

Quote:
Do you want Moreau teaching him how to take defensive end penalties, or our tougher players not being around to allow him to be Boogarded and have his season ended? This will all most likely not happen with him in the AHL, why not allow him to take baby steps instead of throwing him to the wolves when we have no reason to.
Who says Moreau is going to be teaching him anything ?

Nobody is immune to the boogernman. I guess the Oilers should't dress anybody when playing the Wild and throw the white towel to prevent further injuries.

Eberle better not dress any season until the boogerman retires..

Quote:
I disagree and I guess that makes me an "impatient season ticket holder" eventhough I'm not.. I am because you say I am.. I guess.

Your entitled to your opinion but when you categorize people your actually being very insulting towards those who have a differing opinion.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote