HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you get the tongue of your skate to flop around?

Old
03-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Loungie

vCash: 500
How do you get the tongue of your skate to flop around?

I wanna try skating with it like that, as something new because i skate with the tongue under the shin pads.

Like this:

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

pros have modified tongues

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

yeah, some older skates you could somewhat get to go like this without looking too goofy, but most skates now a days you'd just end up "wearing out" your tongue way too quickly... probably not good for the lifespan of your skates at allll.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

You don't need special tongues and it wont mess up your skates. All you have to do is whenever youre not wearing the skates have them laced up fairly tightly to whichever eyelet you lace up to and fold the tongue down so that it's pushed against the laces. however you keep it there is up to you, whether you want to tie the laces over it like that, tape it, or just lean the skate down on it, its up to you. Just do that whenever youre not wearing them and they will be folded down like that. It also helps if when you play, you push your shin pad down onto the folded tongue as to keep it folded while youre playing.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
You don't need special tongues and it wont mess up your skates. All you have to do is whenever youre not wearing the skates have them laced up fairly tightly to whichever eyelet you lace up to and fold the tongue down so that it's pushed against the laces. however you keep it there is up to you, whether you want to tie the laces over it like that, tape it, or just lean the skate down on it, its up to you. Just do that whenever youre not wearing them and they will be folded down like that. It also helps if when you play, you push your shin pad down onto the folded tongue as to keep it folded while youre playing.
all that work so your tongues stick out? NHL pros do have modified tongues

you do need special tongues like nhlers have... which are longer, in order to do this + have proper support in your skates. folding the crap out of the tongue on your skates will do nothing but wear out the tongue, and eventually make you need to get new skates sooner.

only people who do this are people who want to look diff, but unless you have an ultra large tongue, your much better to keep your skates tied normally !!

Old
03-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Toews is a tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post

you do need special tongues like nhlers have... which are longer, in order to do this + have proper support in your skates. folding the crap out of the tongue on your skates will do nothing but wear out the tongue, and eventually make you need to get new skates sooner.

only people who do this are people who want to look diff, but unless you have an ultra large tongue, your much better to keep your skates tied normally !!
This.

Out of curiousity (I'd never do this), is it possible to switch out your current tongue with one of these custom tongues?

Toews is a tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:27 PM
micust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toews is a tank View Post
This.

Out of curiousity (I'd never do this), is it possible to switch out your current tongue with one of these custom tongues?
Yes. Haven't done it myself, so I don't kno the details, but this is what they do.

micust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:41 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:

No, you do not need special tongues, although yes alot of NHL do have modified tongues, which are usually longer or a different color. It is not a necessery part of flopping. And it also does not wear it out sooner. If anything it increases the lifespand becuase it keeps it off your leg which keeps it from absorbing sweat and taking alot of stress from forward leaning.

Old
03-25-2010, 08:42 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toews is a tank View Post
This.

Yes, your LHS should be able to do it, and if not a shoe repair store can do it.

Old
03-25-2010, 08:49 PM
AIREAYE

PHEW children's opinion = BS

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
No, you do not need special tongues, although yes alot of NHL do have modified tongues, which are usually longer or a different color. It is not a necessery part of flopping. And it also does not wear it out sooner. If anything it increases the lifespand becuase it keeps it off your leg which keeps it from absorbing sweat and taking alot of stress from forward leaning.
you seriously think flopping your tongue out with a regular, not custom tongue is going to give you proper support to skate competitively...?

the top of your skates need to be tight, some like it looser than others, but undoubtedly flopping out the tongue is going to take away a lot of your support.

I've skated my entire life, and if you don't have proper support around your ankles, your just asking for a sprain sooner or later. If you really wanna look cool with floppy tongues, get custom skates man.

Old
03-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
you seriously think flopping your tongue out with a regular, not custom tongue is going to give you proper support to skate competitively...?

the top of your skates need to be tight, some like it looser than others, but undoubtedly flopping out the tongue is going to take away a lot of your support.

I've skated my entire life, and if you don't have proper support around your ankles, your just asking for a sprain sooner or later. If you really wanna look cool with floppy tongues, get custom skates man.
Yes, it does, and you also couldn't be more wrong about this topic.

I have vapor 60's with a stock tongue. I skate tongues out because I don't like the feel of them under my shin guards. I lace my skates using every eyelet. My tongue flops down just like the pictures in the first post.

Ankle support is in the boot, not the tongue above the eyelets. I've also never sprained an ankle playing hockey.

In short, you are wrong.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:59 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. As dumb as I think it looks people take a small clamp and fold the tongue over and clam it down to the laces. I recommend doing this with your skates tied (obviously without your feet in them), just so you don't get the tongue flapped over too much

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:08 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post

I have vapor 60's with a stock tongue. I skate tongues out because I don't like the feel of them under my shin guards. I lace my skates using every eyelet. My tongue flops down just like the pictures in the first post.

Ankle support is in the boot, not the tongue above the eyelets. I've also never sprained an ankle playing hockey.

In short, you are wrong.
+1

Stock Easton S12's and I go tongue out. For me, it's a comfort thing. Guys have been wearing em like that for years.

FWIW, if you need the tongue up under your shins for proper support, chances are your skates don't fit correctly or you have some weak ass ankles.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:53 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
If anything it increases the lifespand becuase it keeps it off your leg which keeps it from absorbing sweat and taking alot of stress from forward leaning.
While I can almost get on board with the first part of your statement(sweat), the second half is just full of lol! The stress from forward leaning is less than the stress from bending the tongue in half on top of itslef. You are also still putting "stress" on the tongue from forward leaning with the flop.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I could never get my Vapor tongues to flop well because of the stiff insert in them. I suppose I could get my Grafs to flop because of the felt tongues, but I don't want to ruin them...way too comfy as is.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:13 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
FWIW, if you need the tongue up under your shins for proper support, chances are your skates don't fit correctly or you have some weak ass ankles.
Or you just prefer to wear your skates that way.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Frankie Spankie

I refer you to the thread about gear that gets you chirped out. If you plan on folding down the tongue of your skates, prepare to take some harsh words every now and then.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:48 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
Or you just prefer to wear your skates that way.
Of course, just saying you shouldn't need to do that for proper support.

BTW, your avatar freaks me out.

Quote:
I refer you to the thread about gear that gets you chirped out. If you plan on folding down the tongue of your skates, prepare to take some harsh words every now and then.
As stated in that same thread, who cares. Stupid thing to chirp about to begin with.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:57 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
You don't need special tongues.

Often pros do have different tongues, but they're typically just a same size, older style tongue... Mostly the old Supreme felt tongue. As shown on my skates(No, I don't flop).

A lot of people do get oversized tongues for looks but it's not required.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
You don't need special tongues.

Often pros do have different tongues, but they're typically just a same size, older style tongue... Mostly the old Supreme felt tongue. As shown on my skates(No, I don't flop).

A lot of people do get oversized tongues for looks but it's not required.
wait what? are those modified? cause my one95s have a white felt tongue and blue tuuk logo on teh holder with a 2.1 custom runner

ive noticed alot of pros that flop their tongues on their one95s have black tongues on tehm and mine have whte tongues

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:22 AM
nyr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post

In short, you are wrong.
your right, ankle support is in the boot, and tying your laces really tight at the top will only restrict your movement. read laura stamms power skating books and she reccomends going tounges out.

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:58 AM
deanosaur

I think everyone needs to understand that every pro gets his gear custom or modified in some way.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:42 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
wait what? are those modified? cause my one95s have a white felt tongue and blue tuuk logo on teh holder with a 2.1 custom runner

ive noticed alot of pros that flop their tongues on their one95s have black tongues on tehm and mine have whte tongues
Mine are custom. Notice the double stitching and different eyelets. Also the old Supreme tongue and the upsized LS2 holder(retail would be a 288 holder, my holder is 296). Very common to see skates exactly like mine in the pros, not unusual requests done on the skates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
I think everyone needs to understand that every pro gets his gear custom or modified in some way.
Not exactly, most of the gear in the NHL is off the shelf. Pants, shins, elbows and shoulders are almost always pro line production which sometimes have mods done by the EQM. Helmets are pretty much off the shelf without modification besides stickers. Most sticks are stock pro patterns(Remember all those call up players don't get custom patterns. Plenty of pros that just order retail patterns also). Gloves are also similar to sticks, mostly stock designs but more options available.

Just to compare there is more than 15 pattern choices for Reebok sticks for pros. Typically there are a wide range of flexes available for pros also; 75, 85, 95, 100, 110, 120 from almost any company. Aaand, those options don't make it custom any more than someone ordering a one95, 87 flex P92 in right hand from hockey monkey.

Skates are almost always custom but many of those are basically just like the off the shelf skates... that are either just made on the pro/custom line and with or without a different holder(normally Tuuk).

Remember, when you think about hockey equipment, you often think about the superstars not the grinders and guys that are struggling to stay up "in the show." There are "Pro options" that might seem unique but it's just because it's not available at the retail level.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 09:32 AM
noobman

LOL!

The easy answer is to just tie your skates with the tongues out. If you want them flopping, just give them a few sharp folds. Note that this will wear out some of the tongue padding at the folded area.

I skate tongues out, but I usually put my socks over the tongues anyways to prevent the laces from flopping around too.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote