HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Kesler Re-Signs 6-Year, $30M Deal ($5M CAP HIT, NTC after second year)

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2010, 07:22 PM
LostMyGlasses*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
I'd say it's a decent signing. I was hoping for 4.5.

This is NOT "taking less" type of deal like he said.
Yes, agreed. Still good to have him signed. Wish it were done in September.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
L4D

Why do people still discuss Kesler with Wetcoaster? He obviously dislikes Kesler, and he's obviously not going to ever change his tune. He's been incorrect very often before when it comes to Kesler, and his only response to that is to show that other people were incorrect too. No matter what Kesler does he will not like Kesler. End of story.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous User View Post
If things pan out well, a top 9 center depth of Hank. Kesler, and Coho would rival that of Crosby, Malkin, and Staal.
Only because the Vancouver wingers won't be playing for league minimum

Old
03-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Yes, agreed. Still good to have him signed. Wish it were done in September.
I agree with that, I'm guessing Gillis wanted to see if he can still consistently produce like he did last year with Sundin.

He's shown he can and that didnt help Gillis' case. Same with being named to USA and playing a significant role in their success.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
then what would have been an acceptable contract to satisfy you that he walked the walk in your opinion
Anything up to an upper limit of $4.25 million. See post #281.

Burrows took a pay cut - Kesler did not.

Poor Alex he actually believed it when he and Kesler said that it was necessary to take a pay cut to make the Canucks a bona fide Stanley Cup contender - Kesler to Alex:

“Fooled ya!!!!”

Of course after the clear statement by Kesler that pay cuts were needed, his agent did the honourable thing disavowing the statement and stated that his client had been misquoted (???) and vowed to seek full market value.

"Hi Ryan - this is Kurt. You know Kurt Overhardt - your agent. Shut up about this pay cut nonsense. You are going to take full market value whether you like it or not." or something like that.
Quote:
In an interview with Vancouver radio station CKNW, Kesler's agent, Kurt Overhardt, stated that his client had been misquoted and that the 24-year old Kesler would be seeking fair market value when he becomes a restricted free agent following next season.

"I think that was completely taken out of context," Overheardt said of a quote that was attributed to Kesler ...

"Ryan's a young guy and he's worked very hard to be where he is right now," stated Overheardt. "He's got a lot more potential, he's got a lot more to fulfill and a lot more responsibilities, so don't expect anything less from me than market value."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=272410

Your opinion may differ - so be it.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4D View Post
Why do people still discuss Kesler with Wetcoaster? He obviously dislikes Kesler, and he's obviously not going to ever change his tune. He's been incorrect very often before when it comes to Kesler, and his only response to that is to show that other people were incorrect too. No matter what Kesler does he will not like Kesler. End of story.
I like Kesler the hockey player - I have trouble with other aspects of Kesler.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:27 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
There were a large number of people and pundits who at that time thought that Kesler did not have much in the way of an offensive upside when he was drafted and in the early years of his pro career. The scouting reports were pretty much the same. Great defence but do not expect much in the way of offence.
[...]
So it seems my opinion was not isolated.
Was it a commonly held position that Kesler had poor hockey smarts and defensive awareness as well? These were also claims you made in the cited posts, which were disparaging of every aspect of his play aside from his skating.

At the time it was apparent that your unusual amounts of vitriol for Kesler stemmed from your endless grudge against Brian Burke (re: him "choosing" Kesler over Umberger) -- sadly it seems you're still clinging to it, as your bizarre obsession with a single comment Kesler made in an interview a year ago demonstrates. Move on please. Everyone is weary of your "advocacy".

Old
03-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Was it a commonly held position that Kesler had poor hockey smarts and defensive awareness as well? These were also claims you made in the cited posts, which were disparaging of every aspect of his play aside from his skating.

At the time it was apparent that your unusual amounts of vitriol for Kesler stemmed from your endless grudge against Brian Burke (re: him "choosing" Kesler over Umberger) -- sadly it seems you're still clinging to it, as your bizarre obsession with a single comment Kesler made in an interview a year ago demonstrates. Move on please. Everyone is weary of your "advocacy".
Not everyone it seems - others agree with my point on Kesler failing to take less on this deal.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:34 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I like Kesler the hockey player - I have trouble with other aspects of Kesler.
to me - and I could be way off here, just going by the impression you're leaving here with your posting history of Kesler - it seems like you just dislike Kesler overall.

You started off criticizing Kesler the hockey player... there are a lot of comments from you here about his limitations as a hockey player overall, from no hockey sense to couldn't break a pane of glass, etc... it's obvious that you didn't like Kesler the hockey player not that long ago.

And now that he's proven that he can indeed break a pane of glass with his shot, you're looking at other ways to criticize him.

Basically we all get it - you don't like Kesler. And the more you post about him the less people will take any comments you have on Kesler seriously - everyone knows you have a huge bias against him.

Whatever you feel though, the reality is that he's a huge fan favorite now in Vancouver and this 6yr deal is just going to cement that further. As a Canuck fan, I couldn't care less what he signed for, what he said before about his discount, etc... all I care is that he's here, fits the team's cap structure and gives it his all when he's on the ice and helps this team win. The rest is for soap operas.

Old
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Not everyone it seems - others agree with my point on Kesler failing to take less on this deal.
It's hard to say whether Kesler took less than "market value" or not, however, I'd guarantee that if he hit free agency at least one GM would make an offer better than what he took to stay in Vancouver.

Old
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Yes, but in all honesty who's fault is it. Gillis has got to jump on kesler the minute he can after he says it. Gillis should take the heat for waiting. The " discount " shrunk as the months went on.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Anything up to an upper limit of $4.25 million. See post #281.

Burrows took a pay cut - Kesler did not.
you assume what market value for kesler was when you state this when in fact it is impossible to know what his true market value was

if you define pay cut by saying he signed for less than what he would have received on the open market, then he took a pay cut...i don't think it's unreasonable to assume he could have received a rfa offer sheet exceeding 5 million a year for 6 years

4.25 upper limit is foolishly optimistic at this point in time for a player like kesler who is only 25 years old

Old
03-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

he get a fair deal, was a bit disappointed that he didnt actually take a paycut like he said he would a year ago.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Whether or not he took a paycut do you think that value is good for Kesler? (To Wetcoaster)

Old
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
he get a fair deal, was a bit disappointed that he didnt actually take a paycut like he said he would a year ago.
He took a small pay cut, but not as much as some people hoped for, I guess. I'm sure his comments earlier in the season had many fans thinking he would take a substantial pay cut.

But if you look at comparable players in the same pay bracket, and factor in his age and the fact that he's an elite defensive player, and also consider that the term is 6 years, I'd say he took a pay cut.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:48 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Where did Zajac/Koivu/Toews/Sharp finish in Selke voting, last year? (cough, behind)

Where are they in relation to Kesler in scoring this season? (cough, behind)

Where were Zajac/Koivu/Sharp during the gold medal game? (cough, not there)

Mike Richards and Jonathan Toews are by far the best comparisons, and Kesler is making 3/4 of what Toews is, 7/8ths of what Richards is.

But sure, Wetcoaster, $5m is market value. I'm beginning to seriously think that Kesler stole your wife, or kicked your dog, or something. You should honestly see a psychiatrist about your man-hatred of a guy who has done a lot for this hockey team.

Great post. Was going to point out the same about Richards and Towes being the most comparable, and not the other guys on that list. They are not as good as Kesler.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:50 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
He took a small pay cut, but not as much as some people hoped for, I guess. I'm sure his comments earlier in the season had many fans thinking he would take a substantial pay cut.

But if you look at comparable players in the same pay bracket, and factor in his age and the fact that he's an elite defensive player, and also consider that the term is 6 years, I'd say he took a pay cut.
I think this is the general consensus here. Very fair contract, imo. But on a side note, i am sort of sad that this indicates we will likely be saying goodbye to Mitchell. I've always liked him.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Dana Murzyn

I'm with Wetcoaster on this one. It's a fine deal, but it looks a hell of a lot like market value to me. (Remember that "market value" doesn't mean the absolute highest figure that some fool would pay.)

Old
03-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
basically some people wanted the alex burrows contract ver. 2.0, when in reality everybody should have known that would never happen

the idea that kesler's past comment (singular) led directly to alex burrows signing for 2 million a year for 4 years is not reasonable

Old
03-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Peter Griffin

It's clear that for whatever reason Wetcoaster dislikes Kesler so I don't see the point in debating with him on the subject. He tried to recruit followers with the following comments:

"You can teach defense but I am not sure that Kesler has the ability to be even an average NHL defensive forward."

"I do not think Kesler has the skills or hockey sense to be aTop Six forward nor even a top flight third liner. He has yet to show any "defensive smarts" IMHO and has to rely on his speed to bail him out of bad decisions."

"I have not been much impressed with Kesler from day one (no offensive skills, stone hands, a shot that would not break a pane of glass, poor judgment, no hockey sense but a GREAT skater who goes nowhere fast) and I took a fair amount of shots for my opinion."

And now that Kesler has completely shut him up with his play he has to cling to this notion that Kesler is a liar and a cheat because he didn't stay true to his word and take a "paycut".

Old
03-19-2010, 07:54 PM
JonnyCash

This is great!

In the next 1-3 seasons Kesler will be paying "Fair market value" or slightly less.. however in the last 3 years of his deal it's going to be a steal.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:55 PM
rye&ginger

Kesler took a pay cut. What's up for endless and uninteresting debate is how big the pay cut is.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Ken Jones

fair deal to me, but a bit high for a guy with the "pay cut" quotes.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
I'd say it's a decent signing. I was hoping for 4.5.

This is NOT "taking less" type of deal like he said.
So what are the alternatives? Turn down the money you are offered? I don't see any player doing that. He also didn't hold out for long. Kesler was interviewed on the Team 1040 today and said the deal was discussed and agreed upon in a 24 hour period. Kesler was hardly holding the Canucks up for ransom. Another alternative would have been if he held out until his contract expired and explored other options and then as a top 10 centre he probably could have got more than the Canucks offered. He didn't do that either, and that's the only option I can see that would prove your point.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
basically some people wanted the alex burrows contract ver. 2.0, when in reality everybody should have known that would never happen

the idea that kesler's past comment (singular) led directly to alex burrows signing for 2 million a year for 4 years is not reasonable
Didn't he make those comments in response to Burrows' contract after it had been signed?

Closed Thread