HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

last impact trade you guys lost?

Old
03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Savynquick*

vCash: 500
last impact trade you guys lost?

I was thinking about the Ottawa Senator's lack of scoring, and how it really comes down to have savagely you guys owned them in that Heater trade. Looking at that now, that could honestly be on par with the JT trade, where we got our pants pulled down around our ankles.

Do you guys ever get the short end of a big trade? Since you guys have been good, it's mostly been deals that add guys at the deadline for picks. What was the last player for player deal where the Sharks clearly lost out? Scratching my head trying to remember.

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Slipstar

Ehrhoff trade. That one's recent. But you have to count Rahimi/White as players for it to be player for player.

Slipstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:57 PM
one2gamble

whats a big trade?

We got hosed with error
Others have been iffy at best.

The Sharks make their mistakes by overpaying in other areas.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Savynquick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstar View Post
Ehrhoff trade. That one's recent. But you have to count Rahimi/White as players for it to be player for player.
I don't know if I count a trade for prospects to clear cap space as a lost trade really. But I suppose Erhoff has turned into their best d-man. Those prospects have no chance of turning out good?

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
I forget who we gave up for Mark Bell, but that trade was a big bowl of fail.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:05 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
The three best trades, Heater, Jumbo, and Boiler have all come from Doug Wilson plucking them from inner turmoil. The Bruins didn't think Jumbo was the guy to lead the team, the Bolts owners were smoking base rock and needed some cash freed up, and who knows what went down with Heater and the Sens organization?

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:08 PM
nbbyfan20

I would probably say the erhoff trade and the Boyes trade.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Rickety Cricket

This is clearly Vaasa baiting

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
I forget who we gave up for Mark Bell, but that trade was a big bowl of fail.
#
2006-Jul-09 Traded from Chicago Blackhawks to San Jose Sharks for Tom Preissing and Josh Hennessy

garbage for garbage

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poser View Post
#
2006-Jul-09 Traded from Chicago Blackhawks to San Jose Sharks for Tom Preissing and Josh Hennessy

garbage for garbage
Chicago got Havlat, who I would have rather had. And I think Bell ended up being bigger garbage.

Old
03-19-2010, 01:21 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Chicago got Havlat, who I would have rather had. And I think Bell ended up being bigger garbage.
If I remember correctly that who DW wanted.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:55 PM
EvilPirateZamboni
Taco Loco!!!

vCash: 845
2 years from now the Heatley/Michalek trade won't look so bad.

EvilPirateZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
If I remember correctly that who DW wanted.
Yeah, and there was a supposed deal at the draft and a contract extension for Havlat that fell through because the Senator's GM decided he wanted more. I don't remember where I read that, but I'm pretty sure that's the jist of it.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:58 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Oh yeah, the Campbell trade didn't work out so hot either.

Old
03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
This is clearly Vaasa baiting
I'm giving him a pass since I don't think he knows this board that well, and all the Sharks regulars know what I would say (pretty much all of them), so I'm staying out of the thread except for this post.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:30 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Campbell trade, Moen trade and to a lesser extent the Guerin trade

The Moen trade in particular upset me, traded away Nick Bonino and another prospect for Moen and Kent Huskins.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:58 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Campbell trade, Moen trade and to a lesser extent the Guerin trade

The Moen trade in particular upset me, traded away Nick Bonino and another prospect for Moen and Kent Huskins.
Then didn't keep Moen, who played well, and signed Huskins, who sucks, to a bad contract without him even playing!!

btw I don't know where Pielmeir is now, but he was briefly pretty highly regarded IIRC.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Problem is the Sharks have never really been in a situation where they needed to unload a big name. The Campbell and Guerin trades were pretty bad. I wasnt a big fan of the Bernier or Rivet trades either. Belfour for Dahlen+others was pretty bad as well. The Bell/Havlat/Preissing trade was pretty much a trainwreck all around. Can't say it was bad at the time, but the Kipper for draft pick(Vlasic) ended up being pretty bad in the end.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Problem is the Sharks have never really been in a situation where they needed to unload a big name. The Campbell and Guerin trades were pretty bad. I wasnt a big fan of the Bernier or Rivet trades either. Belfour for Dahlen+others was pretty bad as well. The Bell/Havlat/Preissing trade was pretty much a trainwreck all around.
They got a pretty decent return for Nolan

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Problem is the Sharks have never really been in a situation where they needed to unload a big name. The Campbell and Guerin trades were pretty bad. I wasnt a big fan of the Bernier or Rivet trades either. Belfour for Dahlen+others was pretty bad as well. The Bell/Havlat/Preissing trade was pretty much a trainwreck all around. Can't say it was bad at the time, but the Kipper for draft pick(Vlasic) ended up being pretty bad in the end.
2 things

-Why did the Sharks trade for an upcoming UFA goalie anyway? Never made sense , And the Hawks got worst of that trade as we gave away a hall of fame goalie for nothing.

-The Hawks were happy with the Havlat deal , I wouldn't call it a trainwreck all around

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
The Campbell trade was a good one. I don't know why you people insist on saying otherwise. We got what was a bust to us, a bust to the Sabres, and now a bust in Vancouver and a late 1st rounder for a guy that turned around our season that year. Yeah he screwed up in quadruple overtime against Dallas and is a jackass for not re-signing when he basically lied about his interest in returning and went straight for the money but it was a damn good trade.

The Ehrhoff deal is an impact trade we lost. He was the glue that held the blue line together and it shows as the wheels on the d-man group fell off and is only showing to be a glaring weakness now because Dan Boyle is playing like crap, they over-relied on Murray, Blake got old, and Vlasic got hurt.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
2 things

-Why did the Sharks trade for an upcoming UFA goalie anyway? Never made sense , And the Hawks got worst of that trade as we gave away a hall of fame goalie for nothing.

-The Hawks were happy with the Havlat deal , I wouldn't call it a trainwreck all around
- yeah the Belfour trade was a head scratcher, Dahlen was one of our more solid forwards at the time.

- Havlat was injured for most of that season and some of the season after that, played well in the last half of last season only to leave via free agency

Quote:
The Ehrhoff deal is an impact trade we lost. He was the glue that held the blue line together and it shows as the wheels on the d-man group fell off and is only showing to be a glaring weakness now because Dan Boyle is playing like crap, they over-relied on Murray, Blake got old, and Vlasic got hurt.
I wouldn't call a crappy defenseman for 2 nobodies an impact trade, if anything we won because his rediculous contract needed to be moved before we could land heater.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:28 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
- yeah the Belfour trade was a head scratcher, Dahlen was one of our more solid forwards at the time.

- Havlat was injured for most of that season and some of the season after that, played well in the last half of last season only to leave via free agency

I wouldn't call a crappy defenseman for 2 nobodies an impact trade, if anything we won because his rediculous contract needed to be moved before we could land heater.
And the Nucks who had little movement other than Ehrhoff have gone from an offensively challenged team to second in the league in goals for. And the Sharks have gone from near the top of the league in shots against to near the bottom. Please, enough. The stat that tracks the effect is called Corsi and it was evident even last year. Name calling on the player doesn't do much for the argument. He isn't a #1 dman on a good team, but he is extremely effective in ways that most don't acknowledge.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:54 AM
vilpertti

Dahlen was to be gone from the team after the season, either to Sweden or another organisation. Terreri IIRC was to become UFA too, ultimately the trade was just players on their way out of their organisations flipped around, trying to give the Sharks a true identifiable star (...) on their lineup while making a final push for the playoffs.

The Ehrhoff trade was a head scratcher but then again, we don't really have all the info DW has. If this was NHL10 Dynasty mode, then yes it was a bad trade. Unfortunately for all the incredible couch GM's around, trades happen in real life, not in NHL10.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Thresher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
btw I don't know where Pielmeir is now, but he was briefly pretty highly regarded IIRC.
I've watched him a few times out in Stockton, as an opposing goalie. He's the top goaltender for Bakersfield, and is currently sporting a .884%.

For example, I went to this game vs Pielmeier (awesomely bad goals)
Watch him in action for the maroon & tan, first minute = highlights:

edit: I also disliked the Huskins/Moen deal - so seeing Timo lit up puts a slight smile on my face

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote