HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

last impact trade you guys lost?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2010, 11:25 AM
  #26
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,145
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
I wouldn't call a crappy defenseman for 2 nobodies an impact trade, if anything we won because his rediculous contract needed to be moved before we could land heater.
I would try to have an intelligent response to this laughable comment but I think quoting it and letting people see how stupid it is, is good enough. You simply don't know anything about hockey if you think Ehrhoff was crappy, let alone not worth his contract, and let alone not exactly what this team is missing. Your blinding hate for him is simply ludicrous.

And now we all know that you and DW were wrong about him and should've known then and not now if you weren't so blind.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:37 AM
  #27
nbbyfan20
Registered User
 
nbbyfan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Napa\ Sacramento
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Erhoff a crappy defensemen?

I do'nt even know what to say about that. He had a very good contract, we actually need him right now. We need another puck moving Defensemen and a stable defensemen. But obviously, we don't have that right now. Our Defensemen are pylons.

Now, I know your never going to be a Gm.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:41 AM
  #28
Esoteric Ubiquity*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
I wouldn't call a crappy defenseman for 2 nobodies an impact trade, if anything we won because his rediculous contract needed to be moved before we could land heater.
Borderline trolling. Why? The others before me have said it loads better. Please get a clue.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:02 PM
  #29
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,750
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
Borderline trolling. Why? The others before me have said it loads better. Please get a clue.
I think Ehrhoff stole his girlfriend, or like, crashed into his car or something, don't bother listening.

I guess we haven't really traded away very many big name players before, so it makes it seem like we haven't had any really bad impact trades. Teemu didn't perform here like people hoped, so that didn't work out too well (and Friesen was popular, then later won a cup), but I don't think it's one that went terribly. Maybe we don't really have any lost impact trades. Except the Ehrhoff one, that sucked.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:37 PM
  #30
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,438
vCash: 500
Ehrhoff was not a crappy defenseman, but would have probably been #3-4 at best for the Sharks and he is prone to big mistakes at big times. Despite the fact that we all like to crap all over Blake, he's still our #2 defenseman.

I think he's taken off in Vancouver as one of those guys that is thriving in a new environment.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:42 PM
  #31
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin
 
zombiekopitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Best Coast
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Can't say it was bad at the time, but the Kipper for draft pick(Vlasic) ended up being pretty bad in the end.
Ehh idk about that, before Kipper became a starter which didnt take long it looked like the Sharks won, and then for the next season or two it looked a huuuge loss, but now if you look how hard it is to get a d-man like Vlasic who hasnt hit his prime while Kipper is declining faster then Nabby I think it turned out fine, if Kipper would have won them a final then I would still be pissed to this day but luckily he didnt.
Im not going to completley judge the ehroff trade untill I see what happens with this 2nd

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:11 PM
  #32
nbbyfan20
Registered User
 
nbbyfan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Napa\ Sacramento
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
and the kipper for vlasic. Kipper had his chance in San Jose, and he failed. Thats why we traded him, and plus we had toskala and Nabokov or Hedberg. I still think we still had Hedberg.
Vlasic turned out good for us, as you can tell the sharks miss him right now.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:53 PM
  #33
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,145
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Ehrhoff was not a crappy defenseman, but would have probably been #3-4 at best for the Sharks and he is prone to big mistakes at big times. Despite the fact that we all like to crap all over Blake, he's still our #2 defenseman.

I think he's taken off in Vancouver as one of those guys that is thriving in a new environment.
He would've easily been #3 on this team. Blake isn't #2 when this squad is healthy. That honor belongs to Vlasic. Ehrhoff is not thriving in a new environment. He's thriving because the team is giving him the opportunity to play with their best players. He didn't get that opportunity except on power plays here.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:58 PM
  #34
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He would've easily been #3 on this team. Blake isn't #2 when this squad is healthy. That honor belongs to Vlasic. Ehrhoff is not thriving in a new environment. He's thriving because the team is giving him the opportunity to play with their best players. He didn't get that opportunity except on power plays here.
Or when the team was trailing and taking chances to score. A big reason for the minus number.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:02 PM
  #35
Improvise
Old School
 
Improvise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Gatos, Ca
Posts: 808
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Ehrhoff has really progressed this season. We all were aware of his skill and talent when he was on the Sharks, but we questioned his mental and physical toughness because he seemed to really shy away from contact and play his worst hockey in the playoffs.

I can remember the majority of Sharks fans on here saying he should be let go. Hindsight is 20/20.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:06 PM
  #36
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
Ehrhoff has really progressed this season. We all were aware of his skill and talent when he was on the Sharks, but we questioned his mental and physical toughness because he seemed to really shy away from contact and play his worst hockey in the playoffs.

I can remember the majority of Sharks fans on here saying he should be let go. Hindsight is 20/20.
I disagree with that, he was one of the better ones in the playoffs

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:07 PM
  #37
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
Ehrhoff has really progressed this season. We all were aware of his skill and talent when he was on the Sharks, but we questioned his mental and physical toughness because he seemed to really shy away from contact and play his worst hockey in the playoffs.

I can remember the majority of Sharks fans on here saying he should be let go. Hindsight is 20/20.
I strongly disagree. He is not much different for the Nucks. He still has lapses and plays with their second unit PP yet still leads their Dmen in scoring. Their PK turned around at the outset of the year when they first included him (initially they didn't use him for PK). For the last two playoffs, Ehrhoff has played his best. It wasn't until he returned for Calgary that the Sharks had a chance. He was switched to defending the Getzlaf line when the Sharks attempted to turn it around against Anaheim. Blake/Vlasic failed miserably in the first two games.

In terms of toughness, he has far outpaced Vlasic in blocked shots and hits and has fought more than Vlasic in the last two years (including matched rough stuff).

There are several here who are not dealing from hindsight. We see his shortcomings but do not promote falsehoods that were assumed at the time. If you want to look at a playoff underperformer, look at Vlasic . . . across all statistical categories as well as unbiased evaluation of play.


Last edited by SJeasy: 03-20-2010 at 04:16 PM.
SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:07 PM
  #38
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,145
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
Ehrhoff has really progressed this season. We all were aware of his skill and talent when he was on the Sharks, but we questioned his mental and physical toughness because he seemed to really shy away from contact and play his worst hockey in the playoffs.

I can remember the majority of Sharks fans on here saying he should be let go. Hindsight is 20/20.
Except that Ehrhoff played his best hockey in the playoffs. I don't know where you're getting this. If anything, we know that Vlasic has skill and talent but his toughness is questioned and his playoff play is among his worst consistently in his career.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:11 PM
  #39
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson
 
Bizz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 50
Say what you will about Ehrhoff. You guys are making him out to be a perennial All-Star/Norris Candidate/Future HOF in 5 years. I think in 5 years he will be struggle to crack an NHL roster. You can quote me then, thanks.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:01 PM
  #40
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Say what you will about Ehrhoff. You guys are making him out to be a perennial All-Star/Norris Candidate/Future HOF in 5 years. I think in 5 years he will be struggle to crack an NHL roster. You can quote me then, thanks.
you cant be serious

secondly, this team would be running away with the league if they had error on the roster instead of Blake. Yes, he would have made that big of a difference.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:06 PM
  #41
nbbyfan20
Registered User
 
nbbyfan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Napa\ Sacramento
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Say what you will about Ehrhoff. You guys are making him out to be a perennial All-Star/Norris Candidate/Future HOF in 5 years. I think in 5 years he will be struggle to crack an NHL roster. You can quote me then, thanks.


quote us on where we said he will be a norris candidate?
Struggle? you do know that every team wants a puck moving defensemen right? You do know Vancouver was looking at Erhoff for a while right? He was probably our best defensemen in the playoffs in recent years, execpt for Boyle. I don't know how you miss Erhoff right now, if we were in trouble in our zone, he would just use his speed to skate the puck up the ice and change lines, no one can do that execpt for Boyle. Boyle can't do it by himself.

Or maybe in 5 years, he will be an all star? He does have 14 goals. Thats pretty damn good.

And we might dog on Ehroff, Clowe, Nabokov, Goc, Marleau, etc. But we all know they were key components to the success to the Sharks. Saying Ehroff is a crappy defensemen is a joke.


Last edited by nbbyfan20: 03-20-2010 at 08:11 PM.
nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:34 PM
  #42
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Say what you will about Ehrhoff. You guys are making him out to be a perennial All-Star/Norris Candidate/Future HOF in 5 years. I think in 5 years he will be struggle to crack an NHL roster. You can quote me then, thanks.
Why do you think that, instead of just spouting out random statements explain why you feel he'll have a tough time cracking a spot on an NHL team in 5 years.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:48 PM
  #43
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,750
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post


quote us on where we said he will be a norris candidate?
Struggle? you do know that every team wants a puck moving defensemen right? You do know Vancouver was looking at Erhoff for a while right? He was probably our best defensemen in the playoffs in recent years, execpt for Boyle. I don't know how you miss Erhoff right now, if we were in trouble in our zone, he would just use his speed to skate the puck up the ice and change lines, no one can do that execpt for Boyle. Boyle can't do it by himself.

Or maybe in 5 years, he will be an all star? He does have 14 goals. Thats pretty damn good.

And we might dog on Ehroff, Clowe, Nabokov, Goc, Marleau, etc. But we all know they were key components to the success to the Sharks. Saying Ehroff is a crappy defensemen is a joke.
Based on how he played early in the year, this year, I bet Ehrhoff would have been an all-star if there had been ones this year.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:58 PM
  #44
nbbyfan20
Registered User
 
nbbyfan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Napa\ Sacramento
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Based on how he played early in the year, this year, I bet Ehrhoff would have been an all-star if there had been ones this year.
Yeah, i could see that. Erhoff is amazing this year. Like one of the posters said, he would blow everyone out of the water, if we had Erhoff.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:14 PM
  #45
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,145
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Say what you will about Ehrhoff. You guys are making him out to be a perennial All-Star/Norris Candidate/Future HOF in 5 years. I think in 5 years he will be struggle to crack an NHL roster. You can quote me then, thanks.
Strawman is awesome, am I right? May I suggest that you stop doing what I guess you would call watching hockey because you show a complete lack of fundamentals when it comes to judging a player. You lack even a shred of credibility in this discussion and have posted nothing short of joke responses.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:57 AM
  #46
Donky
Registered User
 
Donky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
As a Canuck fan I just wanted to say thanks....and add if you guys have any more 'crappy, overpaid' dmen you would like to trade away for a bag of pucks....

Give us a call!

Donky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:10 AM
  #47
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns
 
SCinSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Rafael, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
It seems like half of you want to paint Ehrhoff as the second coming of Orr and half of you want to paint him the second coming of Jim Fahey... Obviously it is somewhere in the middle.

Did we lose this trade? Yes.
Was Ehrhoff overpaid? No.
Was he incredibly inconsistent? Yes
Would he be even mildly considered for the All-Star game if he played on the Sharks? No
Has he played better for the 'Nucks then he did for the Sharks? Yes
Would he have an opportunity for first unit PP time in SJ? No
Would the Sharks be a better team with Ehrhoff over Blake? Yes

I don't buy the "Ehrhoff stepped it up in the Playoffs and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't watch hockey" ******** that many of you seem to be spewing. Ehrhoff may have looked good in comparison to other Sharks because he showed effor,t but his execution was horrendous. Go back and watch that series vs. ANA. If anything I feel that Ehrhoff was trying too hard. There were plenty of missed assignments, wild slapshots when a pass or dump in would have been more prudent and horribly undisciplined changes.

I like Christian, I really do. And the few times I've had the pleasure of meeting him he seemed like very nice man. But c'mon people, just because a player does well in another situation does not mean they would do the same for the Sharks. Is anyone still crying over Carle?

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:56 AM
  #48
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
It seems like half of you want to paint Ehrhoff as the second coming of Orr and half of you want to paint him the second coming of Jim Fahey... Obviously it is somewhere in the middle.

I don't buy the "Ehrhoff stepped it up in the Playoffs and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't watch hockey" ******** that many of you seem to be spewing. Ehrhoff may have looked good in comparison to other Sharks because he showed effort but his execution was horrendous. Go back and watch that series vs. ANA. If anything I feel that Ehrhoff was trying too hard. There were plenty of missed assignments, wild slapshots when a pass or dump in would have been more prudent and horribly undisciplined changes.

I like Christian, I really do. And the few times I've had the pleasure of meeting him he seemed like very nice man. But c'mon people, just because a player does well in another situation does not mean they would do the same for the Sharks. Is anyone still crying over Carle?
I appreciate some of your balance. What I don't like is pointing out single errors. I also don't like posters consistently pointing at his defenders as seeing him as an All-Star or #1. Most of us don't. We do see his mistakes. What we don't like is undervaluing his assets and overvaluing his shortcomings.

I can point to things like posters saying that he was poor under a pressure forecheck when we all watched Vlasic fold on the last game of the Dallas series and get owned by the Getzlaf line with Anaheim.

When Boyle stuck himself for 1:40 on the ice which helped Anaheim to the nail in the coffin goal with Anaheim.

Some of the offense that comes with Ehrhoff is those wrong choices. Everyone looks at tape. Everyone knows what is expected. When someone does something unexpected, that is sometimes the key to taking advantage of another team.

In terms of Ehrhoff's accuracy, he was right around Vlasic's numbers. He isn't on par with Blake or Boyle (Blake is the God of accuracy).

He isn't much better in Vancouver. He still makes mistakes. His accuracy has picked up incrementally as it does with most players as they age.

What he does do well is take one on one assignments and execute well. Switching him or putting him in team mode, not so much. What the Sharks miss is his speed of puck recovery in the defensive zone and his ability to keep the puck in the zone on offense. That's what underlies his good Corsi; he decrements that number by his mistakes and would likely have a phenomenal Corsi if he could reduce them.

And in terms of effort, that counts a whole lot when some of the better players are falling far short. It's a poor idea to target one of the players who did show effort when there were others that were far short of his. A very poor message for the team. It is a poor message to the team to bring in someone to replace him who comes in out of shape when Ehrhoff did spend his summers working out and practicing and showing up ready to go.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:36 AM
  #49
SteelReserveGuy
Registered User
 
SteelReserveGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
I like Christian, I really do. And the few times I've had the pleasure of meeting him he seemed like very nice man. But c'mon people, just because a player does well in another situation does not mean they would do the same for the Sharks. Is anyone still crying over Carle?
Nobody's crying over Carle because we got Boyle as part of that trade

SteelReserveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:06 AM
  #50
Improvise
Old School
 
Improvise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Gatos, Ca
Posts: 808
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Improvise
I don't know how a lot of you are praising Ehrhoff's performance in the playoffs last season. I looked over his stats and he was -2 w/20 shots and no points in the Anaheim series.

And stats don't tell you how embarrassingly soft he was in his own zone. I still have nightmares of the Ducks owning the puck in our zone while Ehrhoff refused to board a man up and fight for pucks. I'm pretty sure he made a few mistakes as well. Either way, what's done is done, and he was let go for a reason.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.