HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just Win Baby! - Sens @ Stars - 2:00 PM EST - SNET(E)

Old
03-21-2010, 03:19 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
random thought about Murray

random thought said with anger

random thought with no punctuation

cheechoo

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Icelevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
What the Sens are going through is hardly one of the worst crashes in history. People got overly excited after the winning streak and expected way too much, which is why so many people are flipping out right now.

The Sens are right where they should and deserve to be in the standings. Clouston has done an adequate job, aside from how he's handling the goalies.
kovalev?
shannon?
cheechoo?
Michalek-spezza-alfredsson?
donovan?
pp?

It's ok to recognize some shortcomings that can be improved on in the future.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:42 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
kovalev?
shannon?
cheechoo?
Michalek-spezza-alfredsson?
donovan?
pp?

It's ok to recognize some shortcomings that can be improved on in the future.
I never said he was doing a great job

Shannon and Cheechoo just aren't that good. Donovan is showing his age and Kovalev will play how he wants to play. Not crazy about some of his line combos but sometimes they work. He does tend to juggle things a bit more than I'd like, but during a losing streak everything is magnified.

When it comes to the PP, coaching only goes so far. Eventually the guys have to start putting the puck in the net. All Clouston can do is switch up the units and change strategies, which is what he's done. Hence Kelly, Neil, Ruutu and others getting chances. Even someone who hasn't played hockey aside from on the playstation can see how they've tried different things on the PP.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
I agree with most of what you said. I like Cullen a lot, and have liked what I've seen from Sutton from the most part. I don't know if you follow baseball but I love what Alex Anthopoulos is doing with the Jays. Plug the holes with 1 year contracts that you can trade and acquire all the young talent you can. He was quoted as saying "we don't just need good players, we need great ones". That's the attitude I like - don't half ass things with guys like Cullen and Sutton. Spend a few years keeping picks and prospects, trading off UFAs (Volchenkov) and then when you have a good young team add the big UFA and really go for it. If done right, it is effective and sustainable. Murray is setting us up for years of mediocrity right now and I hate it.
No i don't care about baseball anymore.

You see the incommensurable amount of whining regarding the loss of 2 round picks? Do you realize what it would have cost to acquire "great players" instead of "good players" and that we don't have enough cap space going forward because our best (and highest paid) players are supposed to be Spezza, Alfredsson, Fisher, Phillips, Volchenkov, Kelly... ). Add Kuba, Michalek, Kovalev as stop gaps. We'll win or lose with them.

Maybe we just drafted the wrong guys in the 1st place and our core is not adequate? Murray wasn't the one who drafted the core. He kept them long-term as he tought they were adequate, after going to a SCF.
Did you ever asked yourself those questions?

Murray is not even the GM of this team for 3 years. He is only starting to put his print on this team. Guys like Kuba, Carkner and Kovalev are just stop gaps.

Michalek
E.Karlsson
Winchester
Z.Smith

Seems to be guys who will stay long term. Not sure about others yet.

We'll see what the future holds with Cowen, Lehner, Wiercioch, Petersson, Silfverberg, Hoffman...

You just can't rebuild (because that's what Murray is doing after all) an NHL team overnight... It takes time. Look around the league, look how much time it took to the Hawks, Pens, Kings, Caps,...

-------------------------------------

I like where our transition is going. Maybe i'm one of the few to see that.

- In 07-08, Murray realized that our defense and goaltending had to be changed (Corvo wanted out, Redden and Meszaros were regressing fast, Emery was out of his mind, Gerber was Gerber...).

He kept the 2 sure values : Phillips and Volchenkov

But he brought in : Karlsson, Wiercioch, Blood, Kuba, Sutton, Campoli, Wideman, Borowiecki, Leclaire, Lehner...

That's a lot of possibilities to make something interesting in the end.

- Now we know that Alfie won't last forever and that Heatley quit on us. We need to prepare the future of the forward group

For now Murray brought in :

Kovalev, Ruutu, Shannon, Cullen and Donovan as stop gaps.

Michalek, Winchester, Caporusso, Silfverberg, Grant, Petersson, Hoffman, O'Brien, Z.Smith, Costello, Cowick

There's still some work to do on the forward front but we are heading in the right direction, building from the net out. Murray is a builder and moving 2 draft picks doesn't change that... One of those draft picks was previously acquired by him, just like last year for Campoli.

He will give us a future, something we didn't have 2-3 years ago. We were a 1 line team with a solid shutdown duo and no goaltending.

You need to look at the big picture to understand NHL management and i'm not sure many people do that on these boards. It takes a lot of time and analysis.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 03-23-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
I feel the same way about Murray. He just seems to have really bad luck with trades/moves, unbelievably so. I thought for certain LEclaire would be a huge upgrade and he has disappointed me beyond words. Never did I think Cheechoo would be out of the NHL and he to was such a major disappointment. Couple that with the trades and moves I never liked from the get go and I am down on Murray, big time.
Ya, Leclaire has disappointed everyone. But who knew this guy was so bad-lucked? His freak injury (puck to the head on the bench) when he was getting into a nice rythm really ****ed his season...

Cheechoo, well, there was hope in his case, according to all Sharks fans, he could have gone back to a 20-25 goals season...

Michalek has also disappointed

But considering all that, and that we also lost a 50 goals/100 points scorer, we are still 38-30-5 and a very good chance to make the playoffs. Don't forget also about the injuries. We were hit very hard by the injury bug at some point.

When you put things into perspective, it's a very decent season... Murray really doesn't deserve all the **** he gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
habs forwards are going to give our d lots of problems.
QFT.

But we have been lucky all season, so we ended up 5-1 against the Habs. (We outplayed them badly in their only win by the way, they didn't touch the puck much)

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote