HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is "The Oilers Franchise Player" for the next ten years?

Old
03-19-2010, 11:01 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 500
Who is "The Oilers Franchise Player" for the next ten years?

There's lots of Hall VS Seguin threads on this board already...everybody is debating who the better player is, but maybe the more important question would be "Who is the better Franchise player for the Oilers?" By that I mean, Leadership and Loyalty to the team(wants to be part of the Oilers for the long haul), of course the player needs lots of talent to be this kind of player which both Hall and Seguin have..
Personally I keep thinking of Hall=Smaller, but even faster and more versatile(can play both center and wing effectively) version of Rick Nash..
When I think of Seguin=Less physical version of Ryan Getzlaf

So which player would you prefer to lead your franchise for the next ten years? Would it be Getzlaf or Nash? Weren't the Oilers Extremely high on Nash the year he got drafted? To me it just seems like he is more like an "Oiler Type"(or what the Oilers used to be) of player than Getzlaf would ever be...

Or do you think that Eberle has the ability to be the future Franchise player of the team?

Who do you think will be The Guy for the next ten years? Similar to what Crosby is for the Penguins, Or Ovechkin for the Caps, or what Steve Yzerman was for the Wings...I dont think the next franchise player for this team Has to be the best player on the team, but the guy the Oilers will build around the most...

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Ragss

I don't think Eberle or Hall or Seguin or anyone else on this team or in this team's future can be compared with Nash or Crosby in terms of staggering effect from the individual face of a franchise...but my hope is that Eberle and Gagner are the two guys who bleed copper and blue and be our tiny top line in the future.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Valens

No way you can predict 10 years down the road. Maybe 5 years and that's even a stretch. Just think about the Oilers 10 years ago. That was 1999. Maybe Moreau is the only guy who was here back then and I'm not entirely sure if he was. Think of all the players who have come and gone and who we have had hope for over a 10 year period..Rita, Mihknov, Smyth, Hemsky, Pronger etc.. Maybe we draft a guy 2, 4 or 8 years down the road and he becomes the franchise player. Someone no one knows now. No way to know.

A useless question to ask IMO

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:09 PM
oilers4cup
Col. Klink

vCash: 50
O'marra obviously

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Delta Cubes

Eberle = next Sakic

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:13 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Who was the last franchise type player the Oilers had? Probably most people would say Ryan Smyth..but I would disagree, sure he bled copper and blue, but never had the pts to be a true top line player....I think we gotta go back a bit further to the Doug Weight era, he WAS the team...well him and Cujo...and maybe if the Oil would've had the same ownership they have now he would've been here the next ten years (weight has still managed to score .73 pts/game since leaving the Oil)

Old
03-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valens View Post
No way you can predict 10 years down the road. Maybe 5 years and that's even a stretch. Just think about the Oilers 10 years ago. That was 1999. Maybe Moreau is the only guy who was here back then and I'm not entirely sure if he was. Think of all the players who have come and gone and who we have had hope for over a 10 year period..Rita, Mihknov, Smyth, Hemsky, Pronger etc.. Maybe we draft a guy 2, 4 or 8 years down the road and he becomes the franchise player. Someone no one knows now. No way to know.

A useless question to ask IMO
In all fairness, the Oilers haven't drafted as high, or had a shot at as good a player, as they are about to this year. Your point would have more merit if the Oilers had been shipping out 1st overall selections throughout the ten years you speak of. Pronger wanted out, and he was a franchise player.

Perhaps Eberle or MSP will turn out to be that guy, or maybe this years draft pick. No one thought Parise was going to be a franchise player when over half the league passed him up on draft day, and look how that turned out.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:14 PM
MerryJ99

Two years ago everyone thought it would be Gagner, at this point who knows who will be the Oilers franchise player. What i do know is it sure will be exciting to watch all of these kids develop as Oilers!

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:16 PM
deanmoriarty

stortini

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Kuisan

Eberle.

Seriously, I think this kid is the real deal. In the wise words of Pierre McGuire "It's time to get excited Edmonton" about Eberle.

Kuisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:24 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
stortini
I get your sarcasm..however he is probably the closest the the Oilers have right now, besides Captain whitney that is....

Hey what's the rumor I hear of Gagner getting traded to Toronto for Jamie Lundmark at the draft, I heard a rumor at work today that Whitney and Gagner had a fight at practice, did I miss something?

Old
03-19-2010, 11:37 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
I get your sarcasm..however he is probably the closest the the Oilers have right now, besides Captain whitney that is....
I actually really like Zach, I think his attitude and work ethic is great to have in the room. And he can throw some big hits, he's getting better at fighting, and he's a pain in the ass for the opposition. He could be a fan favourite in Edmonton for a lotta years

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:40 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
I actually really like Zach, I think his attitude and work ethic is great to have in the room. And he can throw some big hits, he's getting better at fighting, and he's a pain in the ass for the opposition. He could be a fan favourite in Edmonton for a lotta years
yup, definitely someone the Oil can hang on to for alot of years...Honestly I would pick him over Moreau or Horcoff anyday.

Old
03-20-2010, 12:34 AM
bsmith14

i think a guy like seguin could end up being the closest thing to a franchise player. if not a core of gagner, eberle, hemsky and mps to back him up is not bad at all. i think we just need a stud dman and we are a dangerous team

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:44 AM
MerryJ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
i think a guy like seguin could end up being the closest thing to a franchise player. if not a core of gagner, eberle, hemsky and mps to back him up is not bad at all. i think we just need a stud dman and we are a dangerous team
you forgot "a great goalie" then the Oilers could be a dangerous team.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:47 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Adam Larsson.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Orochimaru
Ten Thousand Snakes

Sammy Gagner.

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:54 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Snack View Post
Sammy Gagner.
So we are missing the playoffs for ten more years?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Orochimaru
Ten Thousand Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Nope.

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Big Dogge*

Quote:
I forgot.

All players stop developing at 20 years old. How foolish of me.

Anyway, back to reality and some sort of sensible discussion.

Right now it could be any one of Sam Gagner, Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall or Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson for the Oilers. Interested in what we've got in these four players. All of them are great pieces to have with-in any organization.

Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Six in O6

Whoever we get this year in the draft is obviously going to be it.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Dubnyk

/thread

No but seriously I'm with I Am Liquor. Gagners a good young player to build around but I don't see him as a center piece to start a number 1 line with. He might develop into one but I look at him and he just screams #2 center. He's not that fast for a little guy. He's not terrible elusive and he has issues with consistency. It's not just offensively. He can play terrible hockey for a period of months and then rip of 10 or 15 games where hes a point per game. Not really encouraging signs out of a supposed franchise player.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Don't be ruling out Brule just yet folks, he's looking like the type of player that makes players around him better

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Eirhead*

Quote:
I think next year's Gagner's breaks out year. He has poise on a loser team. Next year the young players are going to inject some winning mentality onto this team, and we'll have our starters back.

We'll have a deeper (albeit young) top 6, it'll be energetic, and Gagner's going to be the rock that centers the top line for this team.

I see the Oilers flying next year. Who knows if they make playoffs, but it'll be exciting compared to this snorer or a season. Lots to look forward, quit being a sourpuss.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:15 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Rick Nash wasn't too great his first few seasons either, look at him now..franchise material