HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone see Eberle tonight?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2010, 12:31 AM
  #26
Delta Cubes
Registered User
 
Delta Cubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dogge View Post
I don't think either is a major issue to be honest.

Eberle is a deceptively fast little guy and his hockey sense trumps whatever he lacks in size. He finds the open areas of the ice, seems to always place himself in a good position and can battle along the boards if need be. I think he is going to be just fine provided he has a solid center alongside him.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but Eberle was listed as a center for Springfield. Anyone know if he did actually play center during the game?

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:35 AM
  #27
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,735
vCash: 500
what a great pick... perfect for both too because if you guys remember Eberle was shaking with excitment lol to be picked by his favorite team

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:36 AM
  #28
Big Dogge*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
I'm not 100% sure on this, but Eberle was listed as a center for Springfield. Anyone know if he did actually play center during the game?
He took a couple of draws from what I remember. I think on the PP he was there a little bit.

Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:41 AM
  #29
Delta Cubes
Registered User
 
Delta Cubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
what a great pick... perfect for both too because if you guys remember Eberle was shaking with excitment lol to be picked by his favorite team
I hope he's an Oiler for his entire career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dogge View Post
He took a couple of draws from what I remember. I think on the PP he was there a little bit.
I wonder if he'll be able to play C in the NHL or if he'll be moved to RW like at the WJC.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:49 AM
  #30
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,593
vCash: 1722
I hope we get to see him with the Oil in the final few games

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:03 AM
  #31
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
Anyone here think that Nicklas Bergfors is a decent comparison for when Eberle reaches the NHL?

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:11 AM
  #32
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,673
vCash: 500
His goal was very similar to his game tying game against the Russians in the WJC. Except he walked out from the corner rather than pulling the loose puck from a Russian defender trying to sit on it.
His assist was on the PP with a backhand off the post that came to Fretter who tapped it easily into the open net.
IMO his size and skating isnt a huge issue as people make it, he certainly didnt look small against his opponents and his skating is much better than it was a couple of years ago. His training with skating genius Liane Davis must be working, very shifty.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:06 AM
  #33
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes
 
TheBusDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
His goal was very similar to his game tying game against the Russians in the WJC. Except he walked out from the corner rather than pulling the loose puck from a Russian defender trying to sit on it.
His assist was on the PP with a backhand off the post that came to Fretter who tapped it easily into the open net.
IMO his size and skating isnt a huge issue as people make it, he certainly didnt look small against his opponents and his skating is much better than it was a couple of years ago. His training with skating genius Liane Davis must be working, very shifty.
Thats exactly what I was thinking when I saw his goal tonight. It was near identical to his game tying goal against Russia.

Also everywhere Ive looked (Wikipedia, Pats website, Falcons website) has Eberle listed as 5'11" 187 lbs. for those who care.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:50 AM
  #34
judge301
Registered User
 
judge301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Jordan's Size

i personally know Jordan and can undoubtedly verify he is 5'11" tall. I went to O'neill HS in Regina and know the Eberle family well. Jordan IS 5'11" plus..... He is not a typical Oilers 'shrimp'. He has proved himself as a clutch player on a world stage. I can only laugh at those of you that attempt to establish your personal ignorance as some level of 'opinion' or 'expertise' as to what Jordan's capabilities are. give the kid a chance... He is not as small as you may think and I fully expect you will come to ABSOLUTLY love the guy once he is an Oiler.... He is the real deal.... Think Elias type player or better.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 06:31 AM
  #35
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,767
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
i personally know Jordan and can undoubtedly verify he is 5'11" tall. I went to O'neill HS in Regina and know the Eberle family well. Jordan IS 5'11" plus..... He is not a typical Oilers 'shrimp'. He has proved himself as a clutch player on a world stage. I can only laugh at those of you that attempt to establish your personal ignorance as some level of 'opinion' or 'expertise' as to what Jordan's capabilities are. give the kid a chance... He is not as small as you may think and I fully expect you will come to ABSOLUTLY love the guy once he is an Oiler.... He is the real deal.... Think Elias type player or better.
they can have whatever opinion they want.

and coming here with "height verification", as if anyone cares, as "expertise" is as dumb as telling people they cant have an opinion. "HERE YE, I MEASURED THEE MYSELF AT O'NEILL HIGH SCHOOL! THE OILERS WILL MEASURE HIM NEXT YEAR AND POST IT ON THEIR WEBSITE AND PROBABLY LIE A LITTLE. MORPHOLOGICALLY PEOPLE ACTUALLY CHANGE TOO OVER TIME BUT WHO CARES, I KNOW THE TRUTH"

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:03 AM
  #36
Meanashell11
Registered User
 
Meanashell11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Greenwich CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
i personally know Jordan and can undoubtedly verify he is 5'11" tall. I went to O'neill HS in Regina and know the Eberle family well. Jordan IS 5'11" plus..... He is not a typical Oilers 'shrimp'. He has proved himself as a clutch player on a world stage. I can only laugh at those of you that attempt to establish your personal ignorance as some level of 'opinion' or 'expertise' as to what Jordan's capabilities are. give the kid a chance... He is not as small as you may think and I fully expect you will come to ABSOLUTLY love the guy once he is an Oiler.... He is the real deal.... Think Elias type player or better.
It's nice to hear from someone who actually knows Eberle even though not everyone here will appreciate it. I can't wait to see him play for the Oilers.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:14 AM
  #37
SlowFreshOil*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 500
Well if he keeps it up the Oilers won't really have a choice but to bring him up for some games.

The kid is going to be a good player. I'm not sure he's going to be a star, but he's going to be good.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:31 AM
  #38
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,850
vCash: 500
Very nice start for Eberle! I know Tambellini is reluctant to move Eberle into the locker room at this point in time but the kid deserves to play a couple of games if he continues to perform in Springfield.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:01 AM
  #39
Game 8
Registered User
 
Game 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,387
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
they can have whatever opinion they want.

and coming here with "height verification", as if anyone cares, as "expertise" is as dumb as telling people they cant have an opinion. "HERE YE, I MEASURED THEE MYSELF AT O'NEILL HIGH SCHOOL! THE OILERS WILL MEASURE HIM NEXT YEAR AND POST IT ON THEIR WEBSITE AND PROBABLY LIE A LITTLE. MORPHOLOGICALLY PEOPLE ACTUALLY CHANGE TOO OVER TIME BUT WHO CARES, I KNOW THE TRUTH"
For sure, its way better reading peoples opinions who are judging his size off a picture on the internet and talking like they know!!!! Opinions are like ******** everyone has one........

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:02 AM
  #40
Oilerz
Registered User
 
Oilerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: River City. E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
i personally know Jordan and can undoubtedly verify he is 5'11" tall. I went to O'neill HS in Regina and know the Eberle family well. Jordan IS 5'11" plus..... He is not a typical Oilers 'shrimp'. He has proved himself as a clutch player on a world stage. I can only laugh at those of you that attempt to establish your personal ignorance as some level of 'opinion' or 'expertise' as to what Jordan's capabilities are. give the kid a chance... He is not as small as you may think and I fully expect you will come to ABSOLUTLY love the guy once he is an Oiler.... He is the real deal.... Think Elias type player or better.
Knowing OF him in high school really qualifies you to speak to his hockey abilities. Reminds me of all the people who went to school with Phaneuf and say he was a dick.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM
  #41
Eirhead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
they can have whatever opinion they want.

and coming here with "height verification", as if anyone cares, as "expertise" is as dumb as telling people they cant have an opinion. "HERE YE, I MEASURED THEE MYSELF AT O'NEILL HIGH SCHOOL! THE OILERS WILL MEASURE HIM NEXT YEAR AND POST IT ON THEIR WEBSITE AND PROBABLY LIE A LITTLE. MORPHOLOGICALLY PEOPLE ACTUALLY CHANGE TOO OVER TIME BUT WHO CARES, I KNOW THE TRUTH"
I think that's one of the most over-exaggerated anti-arguments. I'm 5'5.5" depending on who asks I'm 5'6" or 5'5". My football team has me listed as 5'6". Oh and that's 5'5.5" in bare feet, with my shoes and orthotics I definitely am a good 5'6" but I would never round beyond that.

I think most athletes would feel awkward with anything more than half an inch in bare feet over-stated.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM
  #42
Meanashell11
Registered User
 
Meanashell11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Greenwich CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
He says he personally knows him and is a friend of the family. I think thats a bit more than "know OF him"

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:36 AM
  #43
Bodmanza
McChiaricholson
 
Bodmanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
they can have whatever opinion they want.

and coming here with "height verification", as if anyone cares, as "expertise" is as dumb as telling people they cant have an opinion. "HERE YE, I MEASURED THEE MYSELF AT O'NEILL HIGH SCHOOL! THE OILERS WILL MEASURE HIM NEXT YEAR AND POST IT ON THEIR WEBSITE AND PROBABLY LIE A LITTLE. MORPHOLOGICALLY PEOPLE ACTUALLY CHANGE TOO OVER TIME BUT WHO CARES, I KNOW THE TRUTH"
I love how you preach about how people can post and have an opinion on whatever they want, yet you crucify the guy that supposedly knows him. Just relax a bit, hey?

And for anyone who didn't see Eberle's goal, highlights are in the Springfield Falcons thread, dirrrrrty snipe. Takes a pass on his forehand, out-waits the 'tender, and dekes backhand coming across the net

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:45 AM
  #44
Eirhead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
He also had an assist on a no-goal apparently. He's definitely putting up stats

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:45 AM
  #45
Oilers1*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
You could be right and I may yet be wrong (I definitely hope I'm wrong ). My hesitancy is based on what I consider to be the over hyping of his actual abilities. He excelled in junior, but the junior game is different from the NHL and I wonder whether his size and skating will be an issue. What isn't over hyped is his great attitude and team mentality, which I think will play a vital role in any success he has in the NHL. When I say second liner, that's not meant to be a put down or a vote of non-confidence. I think second liners are tough to come by and getting one at 22 overall has to be considered a win at the draft table. Though I do think if the draft where held again today, Eberle would go much higher.

As I mentioned though, you might very well be right. I'm sure we all hope you are.
Good stuff.

I think if Eberle develops into a solid second-liner, we should all be very happy. Especially given the kind of attitude and clutch play he brings to the table. The Patrick Kane/Joe Sakic comparisons are really pushing it.

I wonder if Chris Drury might be a good comparison? He's a similar size, and has generally been a 25-goal 55ish-point man, with occassional forays into 65+ point territory. Plus, Drury has a long track record for clutch play, going back to his pre-NHL career.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:54 AM
  #46
Phaedrus
Registered User
 
Phaedrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
5'11'' and over 180lbs... yeah right.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vzEKr1O7LQ...RLE+-+_+14.jpg

I do not know how to imbed a picture (or if imbed is even the right word) - but apparently (if Eberle is 5'11'') everyone standing around him - playing hockey with him - is damn near 7' tall. No wonder he was so good in junior, he played on a team full of Charas .

edit: With the qualification that I want to see Eberle an Oiler; that is, if the Oil get rid of a few other small players. I do not want to see a line with Eberle and Gagner together on it, it will get killed. We have seen what having a small team has meant these past few seasons - skill or not, a small team has a hard time competing.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:59 AM
  #47
Eirhead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
5'11'' and over 180lbs... yeah right.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vzEKr1O7LQ...RLE+-+_+14.jpg

I do not know how to imbed a picture (or if imbed is even the right word) - but apparently (if Eberle is 5'11'') everyone standing around him - playing hockey with him - is damn near 7' tall. No wonder he was so good in junior, he played on a team full of Charas .
He's leaning forward, and the guys beside him are the tallest ones on our team at 6'4" eh? Great choice in a picture [/Sarcasm]

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
  #48
Phaedrus
Registered User
 
Phaedrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
He's leaning forward, and the guys beside him are the tallest ones on our team at 6'4" eh? Great choice in a picture [/Sarcasm]
Yes, and everyone else is standing erect trying to look as tall as they can.

He is small... I get a kick out of how people/teams feel a need to inflate physical stats. And if they are all 6'4'' than Eberle is 5' 8''...

Eberle looked tiny in the WJC; he has looked tiny every time I have seen him play. But, he excels while being tiny. The Oilers just need to dump 2/3rds of the other small players to make room for Eberle. Heck, if Gagner + could get the Oilers another top round pick, I would be fine with seeing them trade Gagner.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:10 AM
  #49
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Yes, and everyone else is standing erect trying to look as tall as they can.

He is small... I get a kick out of how people/teams feel a need to inflate physical stats. And if they are all 6'4'' than Eberle is 5' 8''...

Eberle looked tiny in the WJC; he has looked tiny every time I have seen him play. But, he excels while being tiny. The Oilers just need to dump 2/3rds of the other small players to make room for Eberle. Heck, if Gagner + could get the Oilers another top round pick, I would be fine with seeing them trade Gagner.
Hes taller than 5' 8 trust me. the 5' 11 is bang on!

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:11 AM
  #50
Eirhead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Yes, and everyone else is standing erect trying to look as tall as they can.

He is small... I get a kick out of how people/teams feel a need to inflate physical stats. And if they are all 6'4'' than Eberle is 5' 8''...

Eberle looked tiny in the WJC; he has looked tiny every time I have seen him play. But, he excels while being tiny. The Oilers just need to dump 2/3rds of the other small players to make room for Eberle. Heck, if Gagner + could get the Oilers another top round pick, I would be fine with seeing them trade Gagner.
Funny, last night when he was celebrating his assist he looked taller than Colton Fretter (5'10") and shorter than Chad Wiseman (6'1")... and I mean, they all looked pretty close, like 3 inches is.

EDIT: Also, he skates low. Kinda like Hall does. He was listed as 5'9.5 when drafted, if you're going based off of the 2009 WJC, he grew since then. I was growing til I was 20.


Last edited by Eirhead*: 03-20-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.