HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone see Eberle tonight?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2010, 11:41 AM
  #51
Big Dogge*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post

Eberle looked tiny in the WJC; he has looked tiny every time I have seen him play. But, he excels while being tiny. The Oilers just need to dump 2/3rds of the other small players to make room for Eberle. Heck, if Gagner + could get the Oilers another top round pick, I would be fine with seeing them trade Gagner.

I guess we're all a bunch of hobbits then. Average size for the average human male is 5'8" - 5'10" so I think before we eagerly throw out the term, 'shrimp' - 'hobbit' - 'smurf'...

Yes, I know that athletes in the professional sport leagues throw that average median statistic out the window but the fact of the matter remains that whether people choose to believe it or not. 2 inches difference does not make a noticeable difference. All too often it seems that somebody who is 6' is perfectly acceptable while a 5'10" guy is considered a shrimp.

I guess I have trouble understanding the thinking behind that rationale considering it's not going to make a difference on the ice.

Now, if we're talking 6'4" (which only 1% of the entire 6.5 billion population exceeds) then that's a different story.

We're all shrimps.

For the record, I think we'll be fine with Gagner, Eberle and Brule in our top 9. Hemsky, Penner, MPS and Hall are all bigger guys. I don't see too much of a problem. But we definitely have to drop POS, Nilsson for it to work.

Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:46 AM
  #52
Phaedrus
Registered User
 
Phaedrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
Funny, last night when he was celebrating his assist he looked taller than Colton Fretter (5'10") and shorter than Chad Wiseman (6'1")... and I mean, they all looked pretty close, like 3 inches is.

EDIT: Also, he skates low. Kinda like Hall does. He was listed as 5'9.5 when drafted, if you're going based off of the 2009 WJC, he grew since then. I was growing til I was 20.

Whatever... believe what you may.

In the end, it matters little - aside from the fact that unless the Oilers address the size issue on the team, they will continue to be pushed around on the ice, talented or not.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. And apparently ten-thousand stats.

You were growing until you were twenty - good for you. What in the heck has that got to do with anything? Maybe Eberle will grow until he is 25 - and will end up being 6'6'' (I am being facetious if you are not catching it). Maybe he was done growing at 17, and 5' 95'' becomes 5' 11'' because stats are inflated. Sorry, but if they are bringing it down to half an inch, it is likely a very generous half an inch. Pro sports are no more believable than professional wrestling when it comes to stats.

Eberle, Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Brule, POS - something needs to change. I would trade them all for one good sized and talented center for the 1st line. (Five for Carter anyone? Again, I am being a tad facetious.)

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:49 AM
  #53
Eirhead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Whatever... believe what you may.

In the end, it matters little - aside from the fact that unless the Oilers address the size issue on the team, they will continue to be pushed around on the ice, talented or not.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. And apparently ten-thousand stats.

You were growing until you were twenty - good for you. What in the heck has that got to do with anything? Maybe Eberle will grow until he is 25 - and will end up being 6'6'' (I am being facetious if you are not catching it). Maybe he was done growing at 17, and 5' 95'' becomes 5' 11'' because stats are inflated. Sorry, but if they are bringing it down to half an inch, it is likely a very generous half an inch. Pro sports are no more believable than professional wrestling when it comes to stats.

Eberle, Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Brule, POS - something needs to change. I would trade them all for one good sized and talented center for the 1st line. (Five for Carter anyone? Again, I am being a tad facetious.)
You know who else is puny? Crosby.

Oh, and Gretzky was too.

Funny...

I'm sure a team of Boogards, MacIntyres and Charas would absolutely dominate a team of Visnovskys, Yzermans and Crosbys. Didn't Boston try that when the rules were more relaxed?


Last edited by Eirhead*: 03-20-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:59 AM
  #54
Boilers*
 
Boilers*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
You know who else is puny? Crosby.

Oh, and Gretzky was too.

Funny...
I was going to mention that Wayne was 5'11" Crosby is listed as 5'10", Weight was 5'11". Size was never much of an issue when we had Weight, Marchant, Comrie.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:07 PM
  #55
Oilers1*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
I think some people are confusing. . .

Small = losing

when the formula is actually:

Small and sucking = losing

Your 2009-2010 Edmonton Oilers are in the latter category. It doesn't matter if Nilsson and POS were surrounded by giants or not. They suck, and would always suck.

Yeah, you don't want a team of smurfs but I think there would be no problem with having Cogliano, Brule, Gagner and Eberle in the top nine, provided they're all producing at a 50-point level or above.

Coming out of the lockout, the Sabres had a small team. They did okay for a few years. Why? Cause their small players had skill and speed. Something this team is lacking, in addition to size.

And anyways, I'm quite happy Eberle is small. If he were 6'2, we never would have gotten him at 22nd overall.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:16 PM
  #56
Eirhead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post
I think some people are confusing. . .

Small = losing

when the formula is actually:

Small and sucking = losing

Your 2009-2010 Edmonton Oilers are in the latter category. It doesn't matter if Nilsson and POS were surrounded by giants or not. They suck, and would always suck.

Yeah, you don't want a team of smurfs but I think there would be no problem with having Cogliano, Brule, Gagner and Eberle in the top nine, provided they're all producing at a 50-point level or above.

Coming out of the lockout, the Sabres had a small team. They did okay for a few years. Why? Cause their small players had skill and speed. Something this team is lacking, in addition to size.

And anyways, I'm quite happy Eberle is small. If he were 6'2, we never would have gotten him at 22nd overall.
Good point, a bigger player with his tenacity surely would have made a case for top 10 easily. As it is, we got a dynamite player deep in the first round.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:18 PM
  #57
Phaedrus
Registered User
 
Phaedrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
You know who else is puny? Crosby.

Oh, and Gretzky was too.

Funny...

I'm sure a team of Boogards, MacIntyres and Charas would absolutely dominate a team of Visnovskys, Yzermans and Crosbys. Didn't Boston try that when the rules were more relaxed?
So compare Eberle to Gretzky and Crosby to justify your point; and bring up Boogaard and MacIntyre to critique mine. Sound reasoning... definitely very sound. Especially since this has very little to do with the original point.

(And I would take a defense corps of Chara's over one of Visnovsky's any day of the week.)

I am tempted to throw out names like Messier, Oveckin, etc., etc.., etc. but bringing up other players is really nonsensical. The point is the players on the Oilers CURRENT roster... the Oilers' have too many small and soft players - many of whom stem from Lowe's image of what the "New NHL" would represent; what a load of crap that image was.

And if you're arguing that Eberle is indeed what the stats claim he is - what has Gretzky's and Crosby's stats have to do with it. I would be happy if Eberle were indeed 5'11'' (like Gretzky) - my point has been that I am skeptical. I guess we will all have to wait to see him standing alongside the other midgets. I hope I am wrong... but I doubt I am.

Its funny how defensive people get about the Oilers' next big thing - a few years ago, no one would dare criticize Hemsky; after that it was Gagner; now Eberle is seemingly the second coming. You people really like the newspeak coming out of Oilers' HQ.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:18 PM
  #58
Big Dogge*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
If he was 6'2" I think he would have been top 5 possibly.

As it is, if you re-do that draft today there is no way he doesn't go top 10 in his class. At least I have a hard time believing he doesn't.

Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:29 PM
  #59
n00b1AnPr1nc355
Registered User
 
n00b1AnPr1nc355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,662
vCash: 500
Yes, It will be interesting to see if he carries on wth his strong play from the first game.

So often players come in to the league or season with a bang and fade down the stretch. See Patrick O'sullivan with 10 goals in preseason.

As soon a interest fades for some players they begin to suck. Once again see Patrick O'sullivan. I really hope this doesnt happen with Eberle and truthfully I don't see it being the case as he has succeeded and fought to do so throughout his career. So often players only play well when they have something to play for, like in a contract year. Eberle could be playing to play for the big club but once he gets here and makes a mark he too could fade. I really hope this isn't the case and don't think it will be. Heart goes a long way in this game and he seems to have plenty of it. A friend of mine is personal friends with him and says the same thing: He wants to play and is a guy who will continue to do so throughout his career. It is a rare case a player gets to play or the team he loved growing up. Hopefully this continues to nspire Eberle just as it did Smyth for so many years. I still cry about Smyth and the fact he is not an Oiler. PLaying your entire career for the team you grew up dying for as a fan is also a very special thing. Too bad this won't be the case for Smyth.

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:31 PM
  #60
Oilers1*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Its funny how defensive people get about the Oilers' next big thing - a few years ago, no one would dare criticize Hemsky; after that it was Gagner; now Eberle is seemingly the second coming. You people really like the newspeak coming out of Oilers' HQ.
Don't worry. As soon as he stumbles (and he will; at some point in his first three years, he'll look like *******. I said the same thing about Gagner), people will want to trade him for a second-round pick to 'make room' for whatever the next big thing is.

Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky saw the same roller-coaster of opinion around here. Remind me to never hire an HF poster as my stock-broker.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
  #61
Calamus
Registered User
 
Calamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Who would have thought that a discussion on the internet would turn into nonsensical bickering?

Apologies if this has been posted earlier, but does anyone know if there is a stream of tonight's game?

I would love to watch Eberle force Tambo's hand.

Calamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:36 PM
  #62
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the
 
Nugent93Hopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Taylor Hall Show
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Zach Parise 2.0

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:44 PM
  #63
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,267
vCash: 500
Gee, this couldn't be the first time Oiler fans on here have overhyped one of their own, could it?

Seriously, I hope he does well. Seems like a good kid.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:45 PM
  #64
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,394
vCash: 500
For some reason they only have the first half of the game highlights up, but that contains all Eberle's contributions:



You have to watch Eberle's goal very closely to pick up the nice forehand-backhand move in close... it's an offshoot of being a clutch player I think, the intensity of being in close to the net and knowing you're a millisecond from getting decked from behind doesn't seem the phase the kid at all. I really hope that carries into the NHL. In my opinion, that's the case for bringing him up slowly, if he gets rocked and shell shocked from the physicality of the NHL, he'll lose that part of his game and we can't afford that, it's too valuable.

On another note, you get a pretty good sense of what's important in selling AHL hockey these days from that video.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:51 PM
  #65
Phaedrus
Registered User
 
Phaedrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
For some reason they only have the first half of the game highlights up, but that contains all Eberle's contributions:



You have to watch Eberle's goal very closely to pick up the nice forehand-backhand move in close... it's an offshoot of being a clutch player I think, the intensity of being in close to the net and knowing you're a millisecond from getting decked from behind doesn't seem the phase the kid at all. I really hope that carries into the NHL. In my opinion, that's the case for bringing him up slowly, if he gets rocked and shell shocked from the physicality of the NHL, he'll lose that part of his game and we can't afford that, it's too valuable.

On another note, you get a pretty good sense of what's important in selling AHL hockey these days from that video.
Pitton needs to take hugging lessons from huggy bear.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:51 PM
  #66
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,394
vCash: 500
Oh and by the way, they look dominant in those highlights (up 4-1 at least), and then Springfield went on to lose that game. Rough season.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:55 PM
  #67
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
Who would have thought that a discussion on the internet would turn into nonsensical bickering?

Apologies if this has been posted earlier, but does anyone know if there is a stream of tonight's game?

I would love to watch Eberle force Tambo's hand.
http://atdhe.net/

Just scroll down the menu until you see it, i never tried it last night but should work.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:56 PM
  #68
Phaedrus
Registered User
 
Phaedrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Oh and by the way, they look dominant in those highlights (up 4-1 at least), and then Springfield went on to lose that game. Rough season.
It was hard to really see Eberle's goal... maybe its because I could not get past how small he looks on the ice relative to those around him .

Seriously though, I hope he makes it to the big club and tears it up.

Thanks for the video.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:59 PM
  #69
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
http://atdhe.net/

Just scroll down the menu until you see it, i never tried it last night but should work.
It usually always works. I havent watched many falcon games this year but alot of manchester games on that site. I know thats weird but gotta watch and cheer for a buddy.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:09 PM
  #70
RStar*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Knowing OF him in high school really qualifies you to speak to his hockey abilities. Reminds me of all the people who went to school with Phaneuf and say he was a dick.
Dion Phaneuf was a dick. You'd know if you went to Hunting Hills.
Hes hated by the whole city of Red Deer.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:10 PM
  #71
Fayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,455
vCash: 500
That forehand backhand move of his is going to earn himself a lot of money in the future.

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:15 PM
  #72
RStar*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,021
vCash: 500
Also, I'm not sure why anyone wants to call him up this year. He's playing great and getting confidence on the Falcons. Why bring him up for a handful of meaningless games with the worst team I've ever seen? It won't change anything for the Oil, and going from being the best player on your team to playing on a team that can't win to save its life isn't going to help his development any. If anything it will give him an offseason to remember the 2 or 3 games he played for the Oil where they got destroyed.

Wait until next year, bring him through camp, and bring him up then. It doesn't make any sense to bring him up now, and it wouldn't help his growth in my opinion.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:17 PM
  #73
eightyseven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Zach Parise 2.0
That's exactly what I thought after Eberle's past two world juniors performances. Parise took a few years to blossom into a star in NJ and actually played a year in the AHL due to the NHL lock-out. Another small sniper, Mike Cammalleri, played a lot in the AHL before making the NHL. I hope the Oilers are patient with Eberle's development and he'll need to work on his skating/strength this summer.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:18 PM
  #74
Eirhead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
So compare Eberle to Gretzky and Crosby to justify your point; and bring up Boogaard and MacIntyre to critique mine. Sound reasoning... definitely very sound. Especially since this has very little to do with the original point.

(And I would take a defense corps of Chara's over one of Visnovsky's any day of the week.)

I am tempted to throw out names like Messier, Oveckin, etc., etc.., etc. but bringing up other players is really nonsensical. The point is the players on the Oilers CURRENT roster... the Oilers' have too many small and soft players - many of whom stem from Lowe's image of what the "New NHL" would represent; what a load of crap that image was.

And if you're arguing that Eberle is indeed what the stats claim he is - what has Gretzky's and Crosby's stats have to do with it. I would be happy if Eberle were indeed 5'11'' (like Gretzky) - my point has been that I am skeptical. I guess we will all have to wait to see him standing alongside the other midgets. I hope I am wrong... but I doubt I am.

Its funny how defensive people get about the Oilers' next big thing - a few years ago, no one would dare criticize Hemsky; after that it was Gagner; now Eberle is seemingly the second coming. You people really like the newspeak coming out of Oilers' HQ.
You're making it sound like a roster spot for someone who is 5'11" is a waste. I was simply citing examples of players who you would neglect based on this reasoning? Not fair?

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:27 PM
  #75
taunting canadian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Knowing OF him in high school really qualifies you to speak to his hockey abilities. Reminds me of all the people who went to school with Phaneuf and say he was a dick.
Were those people wrong?

Also, odd how it's OK for people who have no knowledge whatsoever about Eberle are allowed to have an opinion, but people who do know him are dangerously unqualified.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.