HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone see Eberle tonight?

Old
03-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
Were those people wrong?

Also, odd how it's OK for people who have no knowledge whatsoever about Eberle are allowed to have an opinion, but people who do know him are dangerously unqualified.
El oh el.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Calamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
http://atdhe.net/

Just scroll down the menu until you see it, i never tried it last night but should work.
I must be on crack, i've never seen ahl games in there.

Calamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:27 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Also, I'm not sure why anyone wants to call him up this year. He's playing great and getting confidence on the Falcons. Why bring him up for a handful of meaningless games with the worst team I've ever seen? It won't change anything for the Oil, and going from being the best player on your team to playing on a team that can't win to save its life isn't going to help his development any. If anything it will give him an offseason to remember the 2 or 3 games he played for the Oil where they got destroyed.

Wait until next year, bring him through camp, and bring him up then. It doesn't make any sense to bring him up now, and it wouldn't help his growth in my opinion.
The Falcons are the worst team in the AHL. Why is it helping his development to play for that crappy team, but it would kill him to play for our crappy team?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:55 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
The Falcons are the worst team in the AHL. Why is it helping his development to play for that crappy team, but it would kill him to play for our crappy team?
because with his hard work and determination he might actually be able to help that team over the top and win a few games in the AHL whereas his efforts in the NHL would be futile and fruitless crushing his spirit and destroying his motivation to make the team next fall?

I don't know, seems like an argument that someone might make. I'm on the fence with the whole Eberle thing. I'd like to see him get at least 2 games in the NHL if he can keep up a decent pace in the AHL down the stretch.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Kosik

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
because with his hard work and determination he might actually be able to help that team over the top and win a few games in the AHL whereas his efforts in the NHL would be futile and fruitless crushing his spirit and destroying his motivation to make the team next fall?

I don't know, seems like an argument that someone might make. I'm on the fence with the whole Eberle thing. I'd like to see him get at least 2 games in the NHL if he can keep up a decent pace in the AHL down the stretch.
What he cant score as an oiler? People around here act like we haven't won a game all season. The kid inst retarded he understands this team wont be the same as the one next year or the year after. Its not like he hasn't been on a losing team for the last few years anyways.

Kosik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Bouch1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post

un*******believable.
i love hall smothering eberle after that tying goal.

as much as i think seguin would be great to have on the team i always am reminded of how much i loved watching those 2 play together that tourny

Bouch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Bouch1337

Quote:
i just dont want them to play him 10 games and burn a year of eligibility, id ont see whats so important for him to play in the bigs either. Its pretty clear he'll probably be there next year so let him wreak havoc in the A and go on a 2 ppg tear. I dont see how thats bad for his development

Bouch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:51 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERSareGODS View Post
i just dont want them to play him 10 games and burn a year of eligibility, id ont see whats so important for him to play in the bigs either. Its pretty clear he'll probably be there next year so let him wreak havoc in the A and go on a 2 ppg tear. I dont see how thats bad for his development
Who here is arguing we should play him in 10+ games? 9 games max for Eberle, but he needs to be called up this year. Playing against some teams battling for playoff spots will teach him a whole lot about what he needs to do to succeed at the NHL level.

The A isn't bad for his development, but we have a gift opportunity to try out Eberle in a hockey mad town in a rare low pressure situation. The fans don't expect him to turn the season around or win us games, it would just be a glimpse of this kid who could turn into a big part of our future. When else do we have a situation with this little pressure to win?

The benefits of his playing in the NHL vs the AHL should be obvious. He gets to know the speed and skill of the best league in the world, and it would give him a leg up on what to do over the summer for next years camp. And it would be a breath of fresh air for the fans, giving us something to watch.

Old
03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Section337

Quote:
Who here is arguing we should play him in 10+ games? 9 games max for Eberle, but he needs to be called up this year. Playing against some teams battling for playoff spots will teach him a whole lot about what he needs to do to succeed at the NHL level.

The A isn't bad for his development, but we have a gift opportunity to try out Eberle in a hockey mad town in a rare low pressure situation. The fans don't expect him to turn the season around or win us games, it would just be a glimpse of this kid who could turn into a big part of our future. When else do we have a situation with this little pressure to win?

The benefits of his playing in the NHL vs the AHL should be obvious. He gets to know the speed and skill of the best league in the world, and it would give him a leg up on what to do over the summer for next years camp. And it would be a breath of fresh air for the fans, giving us something to watch.
Was in a session put on by the Oilers yesterday and Tambellini talked about his reasons for sending Eberle to Springfield. Paraphrasing here, but some of the reasons he gave were:
  • Felt it was part of becoming a professional hockey player, giving him a chance to play regularly against a broader range of player than has been his normal situation.
  • Said that Eberle is tired, starting from World Junior camp in the summer until now he has played a lot of hockey and it would be a harder step for minimum benefit for him to come to the NHL.
  • Realizing short cuts do not work, but recognizes how easy it will be to fall into a trap of not following a plan. Realizes development has been poor, doesn't think anybody is having to compete for spots on the farm or big club, thinks their development program needs significant work, and I think he wants Eberle to compete with and push the other guys on farm.
  • Another read between the lines reason was that he did not really want to bring Eberle into the current dressing room. During a different point of the lunch he talked about the team having a lack of "sharing" veterans, since many of them are focused on trying to survive as an NHL'r themselves.

I somewhat agree.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Oilers1*

So does Eberle have a shot at the Calder next year?

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:27 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post
So does Eberle have a shot at the Calder next year?
Between him and Hall/Seguin, we have 2 shots...

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:28 PM
swany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
So compare Eberle to Gretzky and Crosby to justify your point; and bring up Boogaard and MacIntyre to critique mine. Sound reasoning... definitely very sound. Especially since this has very little to do with the original point.

(And I would take a defense corps of Chara's over one of Visnovsky's any day of the week.)

I am tempted to throw out names like Messier, Oveckin, etc., etc.., etc. but bringing up other players is really nonsensical. The point is the players on the Oilers CURRENT roster... the Oilers' have too many small and soft players - many of whom stem from Lowe's image of what the "New NHL" would represent; what a load of crap that image was.

And if you're arguing that Eberle is indeed what the stats claim he is - what has Gretzky's and Crosby's stats have to do with it. I would be happy if Eberle were indeed 5'11'' (like Gretzky) - my point has been that I am skeptical. I guess we will all have to wait to see him standing alongside the other midgets. I hope I am wrong... but I doubt I am.

Its funny how defensive people get about the Oilers' next big thing - a few years ago, no one would dare criticize Hemsky; after that it was Gagner; now Eberle is seemingly the second coming. You people really like the newspeak coming out of Oilers' HQ.
Aren't you a Flames fan I could be wrong but I'm asure I had a debate with you last year on the Flames board, so comming over here and ragging on Eberle is pretty low, are you sad that your team of overage has beens won't make the playoffs this year or is it the fact that you don't have a pick till the 4th round this year. Rag on Eberle all you want the fact is he is a good player and size dosen't matter When you have alot of skill. One point you made was the "current roster" do you really believe all those "small guys" will be here next year give your head a shake PattyO, Nilsson will be gone either traded or bought out Cogs might be here but could be delt, the only two "small guys " that are here for sure will be Gagner and Brule add Hall/ Seguin Eberle and MPS who is big and our team looks good for the future, the Flames not so much.

swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:34 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Was in a session put on by the Oilers yesterday and Tambellini talked about his reasons for sending Eberle to Springfield. Paraphrasing here, but some of the reasons he gave were:
  • Felt it was part of becoming a professional hockey player, giving him a chance to play regularly against a broader range of player than has been his normal situation.
  • Said that Eberle is tired, starting from World Junior camp in the summer until now he has played a lot of hockey and it would be a harder step for minimum benefit for him to come to the NHL.
  • Realizing short cuts do not work, but recognizes how easy it will be to fall into a trap of not following a plan. Realizes development has been poor, doesn't think anybody is having to compete for spots on the farm or big club, thinks their development program needs significant work, and I think he wants Eberle to compete with and push the other guys on farm.
  • Another read between the lines reason was that he did not really want to bring Eberle into the current dressing room. During a different point of the lunch he talked about the team having a lack of "sharing" veterans, since many of them are focused on trying to survive as an NHL'r themselves.

I somewhat agree.

Many kids step right into the NHL. If we try to buck this trend and force all our kids through the farm system we will lose all our Euros, for sure, and probably a good number of NA kids who will ask for trades to teams that will play them in the NHL.

How is playing games in the AHL less tiring then the NHL?

While I agree development has been crappy, I think that is more a coaching and old scouting thing. And you know what doesn't work? A one size fits all approach that every player must go through the same thing in order to reach some idealized version of a "legit pro" Some kids need to play in the minors and some don't.

And if the vets are as poisonous as Tambo is alluding to then suspend them from the team and buy them out or trade them when you can. Why is he unconcerned with their adverse effects on guys like Gagner, Brule, and Cogliano but extremely concerned when it comes to Eberle?

Old
03-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Section337

Quote:
Many kids step right into the NHL. If we try to buck this trend and force all our kids through the farm system we will lose all our Euros, for sure, and probably a good number of NA kids who will ask for trades to teams that will play them in the NHL.

While I agree development has been crappy, I think that is more a coaching and old scouting thing. And you know what doesn't work? A one size fits all approach that every player must go through the same thing in order to reach some idealized version of a "legit pro" Some kids need to play in the minors and some don't.

And if the vets are as poisonous as Tambo is alluding to then suspend them from the team and buy them out or trade them when you can. Why is he unconcerned with their adverse effects on guys like Gagner, Brule, and Cogliano but extremely concerned when it comes to Eberle?
No answers, just repeating what I inferred. Although, on the last point, I don't know if he was excluding guys like Gagner, Brule, and Cogliano from what he implied. As he said, when a 19 year old rookie (Eberle) is judged the most fit player at camp, questions about the other guys come to mind.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
Aren't you a Flames fan I could be wrong but I'm asure I had a debate with you last year on the Flames board, so comming over here and ragging on Eberle is pretty low, are you sad that your team of overage has beens won't make the playoffs this year or is it the fact that you don't have a pick till the 4th round this year. Rag on Eberle all you want the fact is he is a good player and size dosen't matter When you have alot of skill. One point you made was the "current roster" do you really believe all those "small guys" will be here next year give your head a shake PattyO, Nilsson will be gone either traded or bought out Cogs might be here but could be delt, the only two "small guys " that are here for sure will be Gagner and Brule add Hall/ Seguin Eberle and MPS who is big and our team looks good for the future, the Flames not so much.
No, in fact I am not a Flames fan. In fact I have been an Oiler fan longer than a good majority of the people on this board have been alive. Sorry, you fail.

As I mentioned - if you would read all the posts, the Oilers' need to trim the flock of small players before Eberle arrives.

Cripes, criticizing Eberle certainly gets people's goats - as I also mentioned, much like criticizing Hemsky a few years ago, and criticizing Gagner up until this year.

Watch the footage of Eberle's goal at the WJC - when he comes out of the group hug, he is quite a bit smaller than any other player.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:36 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

When's the last time Detroit or New Jersey didn't have their players go through the minors? Or how about Buffalo and Nashville?

All of those organizations have an unwritten policy that all their players should play at least a year in the minors. Has it hurt anyone's development? No. Has any prospect in any of those four organizations ever demanded a trade because they weren't playing in the NHL? No. Euros will not run away, Patric Hornqvist just played a season in Milwaukee before this season and he is doing great now.

Brian Burke had Bobby Ryan in the minors for a year and a half, did he come out any worse for wear? No.

When guys like Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise and Derek Roy spend a year in the minors before making the big club, and seeing the developmental track record of BUF, NSH, DET and NJD, how can you say the minors are bad for any prospect short of a #1 draft pick (and I mean that literally because I mentioned Bobby Ryan)?

Are the Oilers going to be pushing for a playoff spot next year or contending? Probably not. So what's the harm in having Eberle build his game up in the minors for at least half a season.

All of the previously mentioned teams weren't necessarily doing amazing when they decided to put their top prospects in the minor for seasoning, but they realized it was better for their development. Phoenix is a prime example, they just realized you can't just rush your prospects to the NHL or their development will be severely stunted. I hope the Oilers don't have to go down the same path.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:37 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Who cares if he's small...he's a heck of a hockey player...size never seemed to affect players like St.Louis, T.Fluery, P.Kane, S.Yzerman, D.Weight, M.Comrie, D.Briere, P.Elias, B.Gionta, S.Gomez, C.Drury, P.Karyia..and on and on and on and on....what matters is the competitive drive of the player, and I would say Eberle has a very competitive drive or am I wrong?

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:45 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Who cares if he's small...he's a heck of a hockey player...size never seemed to affect players like St.Louis, T.Fluery, P.Kane, S.Yzerman, D.Weight, M.Comrie, D.Briere, P.Elias, B.Gionta, S.Gomez, C.Drury, P.Karyia..and on and on and on and on....what matters is the competitive drive of the player, and I would say Eberle has a very competitive drive or am I wrong?
Yeah, people are too fixated on his height, i've said this before, he reminds a lot of a slightly slower version of Brian Gionta, both are shifty, have great hockey sense, have good shots and find ways to score the "dirty" goals.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:48 PM
swany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
No, in fact I am not a Flames fan. In fact I have been an Oiler fan longer than a good majority of the people on this board have been alive. Sorry, you fail.

As I mentioned - if you would read all the posts, the Oilers' need to trim the flock of small players before Eberle arrives.

Cripes, criticizing Eberle certainly gets people's goats - as I also mentioned, much like criticizing Hemsky a few years ago, and criticizing Gagner up until this year.

Watch the footage of Eberle's goal at the WJC - when he comes out of the group hug, he is quite a bit smaller than any other player.
Well that goes for both of us I'm old enough to have watched the team there 1st year in the NHL, but WHY are you so fast to jump on Eberle he hasn;t played a reg season game yet and already you are saying he's to small, I for one don't care as long as he can score. We all know that some of the smaller guys will be gone before next years training camp so that doesn't matter much, and why on this earth are we criticing Gagner this will be his 3rd year with over 40 points he might get 50 this year do you know (from Stauffer) that the Sudins didn't get 50 points until there 5th year in the NHL, so jumping on Gagner who is only 20 is pretty bad give him a couple more years he will get 70 -80 points in his prime. I agree with you about trimming the "small Players Down" but to keep Brule, Gagner, Eberle and one of Hall/Seguin is not to bad, you add MPS that's 6.2 and 205lbs Penner who 6.4 240lbs Horc 6.1 and 210lbs Hall who they say will end up at 200lbs that's not that small anymore. Who do you see the Oilers top six as next year I think some combo of Penner, Hemsky, Gagner Hall/Seguin Eberle and MPS I would like to see Brule, Horc and Cogs as the 3rd line lots of speed and a little finish. Fill in the fourth line with guys that can Skate work the PK and shut down other teams.

swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Calamus

I know i'm getting incredibly greedy, but does anyone have a stream that will go full screen?

Just a shot in the dark, this atdhe one is solid, just small.

Old
03-20-2010, 07:12 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
I know i'm getting incredibly greedy, but does anyone have a stream that will go full screen?

Just a shot in the dark, this atdhe one is solid, just small.
Just double click on it
lol

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Calamus

I might just go ahead and end it.

I work in I.T. and i didn't think of that.

Old
03-20-2010, 07:24 PM
VelvetJones

Maybe they will bring him up for the last week just to sit in the pressbox. Gives him time to watch some games and throws the guy some nhl cash to buy some protein powder and a gym membership.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Calamus

Eberle scores. Tip-in.

Old
03-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Semper Fidelis

Eberle just scored off a redeflection.