HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We're cold and it doesn't feel very good to watch games...

Old
03-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
We're cold and it doesn't feel very good to watch games...

To save you time: I'll worry, once again, when playoffs, Vlasic, and Demers get here.......

Re-print from GDT....

What's done is done and we have our team minus call-ups. I like to believe every move made up until now will contribute towards success (even the Error trade, though I'd love to get better prospects or get better picks from him, so we can skip that deal).

I like to think our team can do this.

I have lost my logical sense, my talent sense, and the we have the best team in the league sense. I probably lost another sense in there, but it's a moot point.

Heatley makes me happy. He can finish and did so at the highest level. Thorty(yeah, I'm rolling with it) should bode well with ANOTHER finisher. I have felt, the biggest problem has been this.

Last year, effin, Michalek nor Cheech could finish, nor Marleau; and the same goes for the year before. I'm not talking stats, but finishing the easy ones. If we do that, we advance. Heater can do that. That's what he is here for. That's why I believe if the Sharks win the Cup, Heater is Conn Smythe.... or Big Joe for diming people. I believe even though many might not.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Last edited by Blades of Glory: 03-19-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

You mean the sky isn't crushing your skull right now?

n00b!!!11

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:33 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Seriously, look up and down this team. There are only a handful of players I would truly consider to be players who fail to step it up the playoffs. The main problem here is inconsistency:

Marleau: Has had some incredible playoff performances, but usually follows those up with poor ones. Among the league's leading playoff scorers over the past decade or so.

Heatley: About a PPG in the playoffs, and has been to the Finals. Has displayed some decent heart and a desire to win this season, despite what everyone in Ottawa warned us before the trade.

Thornton: His choker status has been vastly overblown, but he's only ever been good in the playoffs, not great.

Seto: Never shown up in the playoffs, but he's 23.

Pavelski: Was terrible against the Ducks last year, but was solid the year before. He's still young, and is already a team leader.

Clowe: Again, has had some great playoff series (Calgary) and some not-so-great (Anaheim).

Malhotra: Hasn't been great in what little playoff experience he has, but is a heart and soul player who came here to win.

Nichol/Ortmeyer: Newcomers to the Sharks, but are exactly the kind of players that are crucial in the postseason.

McGinn/Couture: Just kids; we'll see.

Boyle: I don't have to explain this one. A winner.

Blake: You don't have to be fast to know how to win. He knows what it takes to get it done.

Wallin: A true playoff warrior. They don't call him "The Secret Weapon" in Carolina for nothing.

Vlasic: The only player on the Sharks who I would truly consider to be a playoff choker. Has folded like tissue in the playoffs during his young career. But again, he's young. Lidstrom had a very similar problem early in his career as well. Time will tell.

Murray: Badass, and a warrior.

Huskins: Has won a Cup already. Knows what it takes.

Nabokov: Again, one bad playoff series against the Ducks, and one bad Olympic showing, and he's now a choker. Historically, he's been one of the few Sharks to show up.

Honestly, this team doesn't lack desire, or heart, or playoff know-how. The kids need to find their game, and the stars need to stick to theirs. I'm not 100% confident in this team, as I think their area couple other teams that are simply as good if not better than them, but I'm not worried about this team falling flat on their face like they did against Anaheim.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Savynquick*

lol you guys have 96 points, how do threads like this appear? Man go read some other team sections if you want sad, lol

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:09 PM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
lol you guys have 96 points, how do threads like this appear? Man go read some other team sections if you want sad, lol
you obviously haven't seen us play as of late.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:14 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
We've allowed the first goal in something like 12 of our last 13 games, we're on a 4 game losing streak (including a terrible blow-out and a game that probably could have been a terrible blow-out), and prior to this streak we needed third period come-backs in our three wins. This team hasn't looked like a conference leading team since way before the Olympics, thus we all figure we're destined for more playoff failures.

Lucky for us Chicago has been collapsing almost as badly and just barely caught us (but I'm putting my vCash on Phoenix).

CrazedZooChimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:42 PM
halfeze13

watching the last half of the season has officially put me on the trade thornton bandwagon. i cringe every time he touches the puck now. i might just drink until the playoffs.

/rant

halfeze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:21 AM
WineShark

Quote:
Some should have seen the team in the Cow Palace in their second season. The only thing to cheer over was winning a fight or a moral victory like making a comeback attempt.

Its a bad streak with a very skilled team. Couldnt happen at a better time. If they can break through this streak and play shift to shift, they will get through the first round. If they kept playing like they were and winning, they would go out in the first round. Compete level has to come up and a losing streak has a way of focusing players on starting from scratch and playing shift to shift.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:26 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Some should have seen the team in the Cow Palace in their second season. The only thing to cheer over was winning a fight or a moral victory like making a comeback attempt.
What I wouldn't give to watch Link Gaetz from that era again. Boy it was a miserable season, but there sure were some amazing bench clearing brawls.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:21 PM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post

Its a bad streak with a very skilled team. Couldnt happen at a better time. If they can break through this streak and play shift to shift, they will get through the first round. If they kept playing like they were and winning, they would go out in the first round. Compete level has to come up and a losing streak has a way of focusing players on starting from scratch and playing shift to shift.
Didn't follow sports back then, but i saw their record back then, it didn't seem like a good season to be a sharks fan.

Was the cow palace full those days? or was it like the Sac kings attendance these days?

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Always appreciate your well thought, sensible, non-flying off the cliff posts, WineShark. Kudos.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
I remember watching this episode as a kid - ****ing ridiculous. BTW, can you guys imagine Texas Ranger is only 5.2 on IMDB? Where did all the Chuck Norris love go?

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I remember watching this episode as a kid - ****ing ridiculous. BTW, can you guys imagine Texas Ranger is only 5.2 on IMDB? Where did all the Chuck Norris love go?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_N...olitical_views

http://bit. ly/b4Tm1R

He's crazy.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bridge View Post
Sean Hannity? **** Chuck Norris.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:36 PM
sjshark91

Chuck Norris is 70.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Everyone needs to contribute if the Sharks want to make it to the Stanley Cup.

It's not just Marleau, or just Thornton, or just Blake, or just Nabby.

You look at past teams that have won the Stanley Cup and you have contributions from every line and on every shift. Sometimes, all it takes is an extra effort from a Maxime Talbot or a Todd Marchant to get a playoff victory, advance to the next round, or a Stanley Cup championship.

The third line players matter just as much as the 1st line players. Everybody needs to elevate their game, eliminate their mistakes, and play hard-fought smart hockey.

The stars need to and should be expected to show up, obviously, but when they don't the roleplayers need to be able to bail them out.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:51 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
Everyone needs to contribute if the
The stars need to and should be expected to show up, obviously, but when they don't the role players need to be able to bail them out.
I saw Stars and for some reason thought you were talking about Dallas. oh man I am so tired now.

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:00 AM
54toscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
Everyone needs to contribute if the Sharks want to make it to the Stanley Cup.

It's not just Marleau, or just Thornton, or just Blake, or just Nabby.

You look at past teams that have won the Stanley Cup and you have contributions from every line and on every shift. Sometimes, all it takes is an extra effort from a Maxime Talbot or a Todd Marchant to get a playoff victory, advance to the next round, or a Stanley Cup championship.

The third line players matter just as much as the 1st line players. Everybody needs to elevate their game, eliminate their mistakes, and play hard-fought smart hockey.

The stars need to and should be expected to show up, obviously, but when they don't the roleplayers need to be able to bail them out.
Without a doubt, the more people top to bottom on the roster you have playing well, the greater chance you have to win. No one would argue that.

All the same, if the top two scoring lines are just average, no matter how hard the third and fourth lines play, there's no basically chance of winning without a completely dominating goalie performance.

Talbot's and Staal's clutch goals in the Finals are remembered fondly by Pittsburgh fans, but up until Game 6, Crosby or Malkin had been part of every PIT goal in the series except one.

Here are the scoring stats from PIT's playoff run last year:
Malkin 36 pts
Crosby 31 pts
Staal 9 pts

I don't mean to step on anyone's feet here, but as a Colorado fan who's been living in the Bay Area the past few years, I've always felt that the Sharks' problems in the playoffs lie with their big names not stepping up enough. (And I'm sure most on this board agree.) Marleau has had one or two years where he made a definite impact, Nabokov was exceptional back in 2003-04, but beyond that, well, I don't have to tell you guys...

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote