HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

3-20-10 Blackened: Jackets @ Preds

Old
03-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Some pretty bad officiating in this one, but we still won. I wouldn't mind if we played Vancouver or Phoenix at the end of the year, but I have a feeling that it will be San Jose we'll be playing.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:59 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
So two thoughts. Anyone bothered by the fact that Boll only got 2 minutes and anyone annoyed that there wasn't a pile on after the Boll hit on Tootoo? All our guys just stood there like, oh well, Toots got hit into the boards, no big deal. You have to stick up for your teammates at some point.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So two thoughts. Anyone bothered by the fact that Boll only got 2 minutes and anyone annoyed that there wasn't a pile on after the Boll hit on Tootoo? All our guys just stood there like, oh well, Toots got hit into the boards, no big deal. You have to stick up for your teammates at some point.
There was about to be, Bouillion came flying in after the play with his gloves off but was all the way on the other side of the ice. Colin Wilson is whom Im disappointed at, he was right next to the play and stood there.

Boll is also a giant ***** in the fact that 5'8 Tootoo was trying to fight the 6'3 Boll and Boll would have no part of it.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'm never surprised by my complete lack of surprise when no one on the team stands up for players who are leveled. Obviously Toots was on the ice when it happened. If he weren't the one hit he would have been on top of Boll immediately. Smithson is the same way. Weber will usually get in on the action. Sully seems to occassionally protect the crease with some cross-checks I wish he wouldn't throw as he's so short he has to typically aim up. Eventually he's going to take a roughing or cross checking call for hitting someone in the face. edit: I forgot that Bouillon was skating in to take a shot at fighting Boll. The linesman stopped him, which I think is garbage. If Boll wants to run people let him be challenged. Of course, Tootoo did extend the offer to him the next time both players were on the ice. The smile on Boll's face made me think of times in high school when loud mouth kids would nervously laugh as soon as they were actually invited to back up their words.

What shouldn't be more alarming to me than this is the fact that fans were actually happy to see it happen to Tootoo. On the Columbus thread there were a few posters who seemed to have had their nights made by that single action. I understand sports rivalries and I understand Tootoo's history, but the guy has been doing nothing but trying to play hockey for three seasons now. When are these people going to wake up and realize that they are cheering for, to be a bit dramatic, potentially life threatening plays? Certainly these kinds of hits are career threatening. One fan asked if Tootoo sold it enough. I stopped myself here because I was about to type "I'd like to see this person take a hit that sends him or her face first into glass". I really wouldn't, but the amount of times sports fans just assume that someone is trying to sell a vicious hit is ridiculous. A dive is a dive, and this certainly wasn't one of those.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-21-2010 at 12:14 PM.
ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Here in Columbus we were pretty convinced that Tootoo was trying a little too hard to sell that one, which is why there wasn't nearly as much sympathy as there would normally be.

The sad truth is that there are some players with which you just assume bad faith if they're not on your team, and Tootoo's one of 'em. Boll would almost certainly be in the same category, except folks are more inclined to give him a pass because he also frequently leads the NHL in fighting majors, and that creates the impression that he's more willing to stand up for his "work". That said, I can totally understand why folks here would be more than a little pissed.

And on a total side note, I wonder what a Dorsett-Tootoo battle would look like. Now that would be something to watch!

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:54 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
One fan asked if Tootoo sold it enough. I stopped myself here because I was about to type "I'd like to see this person take a hit that sends him or her face first into glass". I really wouldn't, but the amount of times sports fans just assume that someone is trying to sell a vicious hit is ridiculous. A dive is a dive, and this certainly wasn't one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Here in Columbus we were pretty convinced that Tootoo was trying a little too hard to sell that one, which is why there wasn't nearly as much sympathy as there would normally be.
There was no way that was a dive. He had zero reaction time to have made that "look worse than it was" because he wasn't even looking when Boll came roaring up behind him and smashed into him, he went flying forwards uncontrollably. I was definitely disappointed in the refs for only calling a minor on that one. All I can say is that I'm glad Jordin is alright.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:20 AM
WartracePred

I heard somewhere that Tootoo has a broken nose - happened in the last week or so. I wonder if he had his face driven into the boards and tweaked his nose again. When the camera panned to Toots on the bench after the hit, my wife said his nose looked like it was going in one direction while his face was pointed in another.

Is it possible that he got up slowly because he took a nasty jolt where he already had a sensitive injury? I've never had a broken nose so I'm just throwing that out there.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:29 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
I heard somewhere that Tootoo has a broken nose - happened in the last week or so. I wonder if he had his face driven into the boards and tweaked his nose again. When the camera panned to Toots on the bench after the hit, my wife said his nose looked like it was going in one direction while his face was pointed in another.

Is it possible that he got up slowly because he took a nasty jolt where he already had a sensitive injury? I've never had a broken nose so I'm just throwing that out there.
Could be. He did break his nose from a high stick before that check from behind.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote