HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez, worst trade of the year?

Old
03-20-2010, 09:46 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Scott Gomez, worst trade of the year?

At least, according to this guy: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...of-200910.html

Comments?

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:51 AM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
I think it was an awfull trade, but in no way is it worst than the Kessel trade...

Come on, Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin? Both cheaper, stronger, better than Kessel... plus a first round pick next year?

Also, the Heatley trade was worst, but contrary to Gainey, Murray had his hands tied up...

...still the Gomez trade was bad, very bad...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:53 AM
CrewkHead

Sometimes it's better to stay quiet than showing your ignorance to everyone.

CrewkHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:54 AM
shutehinside

I think the trade is looking better and better as time goes on. We get a top tier centreman and a hard working bottom 6 player for Higgin (done), McDonuagh (stock has plumetted), Valentenko (gone) and Janik (AHLer). In essence by trading away Higgins salary Gomez is closer to $5 M and without him it can be argued that we wouldn't have signed Cammy or Gio. So by getting Gomez and Pyatt for basically nothing, we were able to sign an entire top line while not giving away anything.

Bad trade or bad article?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:56 AM
ginovegas

Gomez's contract is bad but he has been a great asset to the team on and off the ice

actually what is bad is the hit, cause his contract is reasonable the last 2 years at 5.5 and 4.5

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

In hindsight, the Gomez trade is looking pretty good.

New York already got rid of Christopher Higgins. Pavel Valentenko probably won't be coming back over anytime soon. Ryan McDonagh looks good. And I don't think they Doug Janik anymore either.

For us, Mike Busto has barely played anywhere this year - I think he got cut in the ECHL and thats the only reason he was in the AHL. Tom Pyatt has been nothing short of great. Gomez, while he had his downs, has provided great entertainment and good play down the stretch.

Montreal is in a playoff spot & can likely catch 5th place, where-as New York is going to struggle even to just contend for 8th.

I'd say its a win for Montreal so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:57 AM
TheCH*

Gomez is a 5 million dollar player eating up a 7.5 million dollar cap hit for the next 4 years. Still don't like that trade one bit.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:58 AM
WestIslander

This is a joke!

How is it the worse trade of the year when you have Sutter in Calgary giving away one of the best defenseman in the league for scraps?

To New York:

Christopher Higgins + Doug Janik + Ryan McDonagh + Pavel Valentenko

To Montreal:

Scott Gomez + Tom Pyatt + Michael Busto

Christopher Higgins - Traded to Calgary and did NOTHING in New York
Doug Janik - Career AHL player
Ryan McDonagh - Value has dropped since the trade and not yet signed to a contract
Pavel Valentenko - Career KHL player

Scott Gomez - Top six centre and has brought us Gionta and Cammalleri and made Pouliot better
Tom Pyatt - A very good bottom six forward and will make the team next season
Michael Busto - Career AHL player

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:59 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't think it was a "good" trade but certainly not a bad one. It is one that has helped the team this season. Long term? Who knows I guess it depends one if we get Pleks signed etc.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

Without Gomez I don't even think we'd even be close to where we are in the standings right now. I don't think we could have made the playoffs without him.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:00 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
Gomez's contract is bad but he has been a great asset to the team on and off the ice

actually what is bad is the hit, cause his contract is reasonable the last 2 years at 5.5 and 4.5
We are a rich team who can afford big salaries... what we need is cap space... but at 10mil for the last 2 years, we might be able to trade Gomez to a poor team with lots of cap space...

Anyway, Gomez's problem isn't his salary or production, but his salary vs his production.

55-65pts players shouldn't be paid 7mil a year.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
In hindsight, the Gomez trade is looking pretty good.

New York already got rid of Christopher Higgins. Pavel Valentenko probably won't be coming back over anytime soon. Ryan McDonagh looks good. And I don't think they Doug Janik anymore either.

For us, Mike Busto has barely played anywhere this year - I think he got cut in the ECHL and thats the only reason he was in the AHL. Tom Pyatt has been nothing short of great. Gomez, while he had his downs, has provided great entertainment and good play down the stretch.

Montreal is in a playoff spot & can likely catch 5th place, where-as New York is going to struggle even to just contend for 8th.

I'd say its a win for Montreal so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Come on, you know very well that it was a trade to clear cap space.

Anyone who tries to evaluate the trade by looking only at the players involved isn't serious.

This move helped the Rangers signing a star forward in Gaborik... it was a great move by Sather.

If the Rags aren't able to get better, it's because they still have 3 more albatros contracts in Drury, Redden and Rozsival... if they can manage to clear these 3 contracts the way they did with Gomez, they're in the playoffs and contending for the cup...

Old
03-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Mange de la Moutarde

People were overreacting on the Moore trade... wow Washington

Osala, Pothier and 2nd for Joe Corvo who's UFA at the end of the year.

Mange de la Moutarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrewkHead View Post
Sometimes it's better to stay quiet than showing your ignorance to everyone.
No Kidding!....I'm with you on that one~

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Next Best Thing*

Worst article of the year? Wait not as bad as this other one he wrote on the Bruins being a force now and in the distant future, http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...or-future.html

this guy is bad

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:09 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Gomez was tradeable because he's still a quality player. But Drury, Redden, Roszival? If Sather manages to get rid of them, he's God.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:12 AM
MrNasty

BTW, they are not ranked as the worst to the best...they are in chronological order. He is saying those 5 trades were the worst of the year. I for one am happy with Gomez.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Come on, you know very well that it was a trade to clear cap space.

Anyone who tries to evaluate the trade by looking only at the players involved isn't serious.

This move helped the Rangers signing a star forward in Gaborik... it was a great move by Sather.

If the Rags aren't able to get better, it's because they still have 3 more albatros contracts in Drury, Redden and Rozsival... if they can manage to clear these 3 contracts the way they did with Gomez, they're in the playoffs and contending for the cup...
Again....

You keep trying to use reverse logic to make your argument fit....

Usually, when everyone says the opposite of you, one should be smart enough to re-evaluate one's position....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
BTW, they are not ranked as the worst to the best...they are in chronological order. He is saying those 5 trades were the worst of the year. I for one am happy with Gomez.
ditto.....Gomer brought something that was lacking in Montreal...and the team seem to be finally gelling....I have no issues with his salary...as long as he keeps giving us his total package that is not calculated solely by goal and assist (despite what the Nintendo/Playstation generation thinks)

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-22-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Merge
Old
03-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I think it was an awfull trade, but in no way is it worst than the Kessel trade...

Come on, Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin? Both cheaper, stronger, better than Kessel... plus a first round pick next year?

Also, the Heatley trade was worst, but contrary to Gainey, Murray had his hands tied up...

...still the Gomez trade was bad, very bad...
I agree on both counts.

I don't see how this trade is worse than the one the Leafs made. There's an outside shot that they might've traded away this year's number one pick and they still have to give up another one next year.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
At least, according to this guy: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...of-200910.html

Comments?
Who cares really? Tried of hearing about this trade - it is what it is, but I think it's starting to look like a pretty decent trade considering the way the Gomez line, and the rest of the team are playing. Sure, Gomez makes 2 million more than he should a year, but big deal? There are ways to clear up cap space if needed.

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:31 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Again....

You keep trying to use reverse logic to make your argument fit....

Usually, when everyone says the opposite of you, one should be smart enough to re-evaluate one's position....
So, do you finally have an argument to prove your point or you're just stirring ****?

As for your last sentence... let's just say that being popular or approved by the majority doesn't equal right or truth...

Old
03-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Who cares really? Tried of hearing about this trade - it is what it is, but I think it's starting to look like a pretty decent trade considering the way the Gomez line, and the rest of the team are playing. Sure, Gomez makes 2 million more than he should a year, but big deal? There are ways to clear up cap space if needed.
Tired of it as well....why would Gomez have to keep justifying a GM's mistake (Sather)?.....would you turn down a big pay raise if offered to you? Do not think anyone would....As someone suggested, getting him paved the way to getting Gionta and Cammie....all in all, I think Bob Gainey did a great job.....wish he would have had more luck with the D's though....

Old
03-20-2010, 10:37 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I cant believe how some people still try to hate on the Gomez contract

This is like hating on Gionta for being a midget

Or Gill for being so god damn slow

Plus what did Higgins do all this time? NOTHING

He sucks balls even in calgary hes not doing JACK

I think we were the winners of this trade

I support...the Latino Heat!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:39 AM
JackZap

wasnt a Gomez fan at first. He was horrible when the season started but hes really skating now and making an impact. Sure no one is happy about the 7M but it is what it is!

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Bill McNeal

It's in chronological order.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote