HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez, worst trade of the year?

Old
03-20-2010, 11:46 AM
pc_md

vCash: 500
Funny how people say McDonagh's value has dropped based on two lines by a web journalist who has barely seen him play.

Meanwhile, his coach said it was his best season so far.

Sometimes,we believe what we want to believe...

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:50 AM
McNuts

Fact is without the Gomez trade we would't be making the playoffs, especially considering that it was a factor in getting Gionta and Cammalleri.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:01 PM
RE-HABS

The guy is basing the deal on dollars strictly. In reality it is a better deal for Montreal because if we would have traded and got Vinnie we would have traded better assets and took on a much worse contract. Considering he is only 30 he is far from being on the downward cycle of his career.

Pouliot's coming out party has a large part to do with Gomez, and the guy has been lights out (Gomez) the whole 2nd half of the season. We have to consider they never had a winger in Pouliots mould for the first quarter and along with his own injuries this season he was missing his longtime winger Gionta for a good part of the season as well.

I think this deal in the long run will be looked at differently, it will look like a win in Montreal's favour.

Interesting to see that Higgins who was once loved and revered here was involved in two of the worse trades in the year.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:03 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
At least, according to this guy: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...of-200910.html

Comments?
I didn't read the article, but I am prepared to give my observations.

Sam Pollock used to say that the team that got the best player usually wins a trade.

In this case, it is surely true.

Glen Sather got himself in very bad trouble with ridiculous contracts given out to Chris Drury, a career 2nd line centre or elite 3rd liner, to Wade Redden, a former above-average defenceman now past his prime, and Michal Rozsival, a defenceman who is neither offensively productive nor defensively very tough. In addition, he had signed Scott Gomez to an expensive contract during the 2007 Summer free agent period, and even though Gomez was #1 in points among the free agents signed that year, his contract piled on top of the three horrible ones added up to quite a burden for Sather.

Furthermore, Sather wanted to try and snag the talented but oft-injured and moody Marian Gaborik on July 1st. Gaborik was the perfect guy to continue a rather long tradition of Ranger free agent signings: the self-absorbed star player. Desperate to try and make some cap space, Sather tried peddling Drury and Redden, but there were no takers. He then turned to the only option he saw remaining, which was to move his best centre, puck carrier and set-up man, Gomez. Gomez did draw some interest (as verified at the time in TV discussions with Brian Burke and another GM), and with time running out, Sather pulled the trigger and flipped Gomez to Montreal. In doing so, he played RIGHT INTO BOB GAINEY'S HANDS.

Gainey had gone behind the bench of the Habs in the final weeks of the 2009 season and did not like what he saw. The young leadership he was counting on, the Mike Komisareks and especially Chris Higgins, had regressed in a major way. Higgins appeared to have his head elsewhere than focused and in the game. Gainey had also noticed that his top centre, 34 year old cancer survivor Saku Koivu, was slowing down, unable to play well at both ends of the ice at the same time, despite having the smarts and the heart. The legs were just not there anymore.

Gainey decided that he was going to have to re-make his team, acquire a lot more speed in order to give newly hired coach Jacques Martin the kind of players he best works with, and identified in Scott Gomez a speedy playmaker, with two-way instincts, proven leadership (Team USA credentials), playoff warrior status (45 points in his last 42 playoff games), 2 Stanley Cup rings, and despite being somewhat stifled in the Rangers' defensive system, someone who was still their leading scorer and who led the Blueshirts to playoff participation in both years he was there, something the team failed to make seven of the previous nine years. In sum, Gomez, in Gainey's eyes as well as in the eyes of a lot of players throughout the league, was a WINNER, thoroughly trained in the New Jersey tradition of intelligent warriors.

The Habs scouting had also identified and targetted Tom Pyatt, a very speedy forward who could play all three positions, who had played for Team Canada in the WJC and who possessed the focus and determination that Jacques Martin would like. They requested he be included in the deal, and Sather, running out of time to make the space for Gaborik, agreed.

So, in a heist of rare proportions, Gainey was able to obtain the star centre he was seeking, Gomez, AND an underrated support player like Pyatt, in return for virtually peanuts: the very disappointing Higgins and a discouragingly slow-to-develop prospect in Ryan McDonagh, who had been passed on the Habs depth chart by PK Subban, and who could not crack the top defence pair of his college team in two years there.

The effect on the two teams was dramatic. The Habs leveraged Gomez into some free agent signings that were their most high-profile ever, particularly Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta, and the new core forward group, all good skaters with excellent work ethics, has transformed the Habs franchise in the short span of a few months.

Meanwhile, the Rangers lost their best playmaker, a proven two-way centre still in the prime of his career, a guy who had NEVER missed the playoffs, and followed though on their plan to go for the sizzle rather than the steak. Gaborik has produced points and stayed relatively injury-free but the chemistry of the team has been disrupted, their second and third line centres have had to take on roles beyond their capabilities, and neither Drury nor Redden is getting younger or better. Sather tried to improve his team by jettisoning Higgins and picking up highly paid Olli Jokinen, but the addition of the talented Finn who has only made the playoffs once and who is yet another self-absorbed player who does not have good chemistry with teammates has not improved the Rangers prospects to date. As of this writing, they sit in 10th place.

It is possible that Ryan McDonagh becomes a star in the NHL and saves this trade for the Rangers in the long run, but is it likely? McDonagh has slipped to 5th among defence prospects in the Rangers organization so the conclusion has to be that this appears to be highly unlikely at this time.

Conclusion: this trade DOES appear to be one of the worst trades of the season, and possibly Glen Sather's worst trade of the past several seasons.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 03-22-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: small correction
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:03 PM
MARKOVFTW

The reality is that we needed a number one center real bad. We traded away a player that is clearly never going to become what everyone thought he would in higgins, a bunch of crap, and a good defensive prospect who may become a top 4 guy in a few years.

In return we got a proven playoff performer, who always plays well defensively, and who is overpaid. The truth is minus the start of the season where the chemistry was forming, and a peroid where his favorite winger was injured ( and probably him az well) gomez has been playing almost PPG and has been worth every penny. We'll see who calls this the worst trade of the year if Gomez does well in the playoffs.

Beasides I take gomez- gionta over koivu ( who probably would have been resigned if we hadn't of gotten Gomer) over koivu-higgins, even with the cap hits.

MARKOVFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:05 PM
bipolarhabfan

Relax, its The Hockey News. They have little to no credibility and journalistic integrity. This far from the worst trade of the year for the Habs.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Hockeywise, it's a nice 1st/2nd line centerman in Gomez and a serviceable 4th liner in Pyatt for McDonagh. A win for the Habs, 'cause to this day, it still remains to be seen what McDonagh will be able to do. I still believe he'll end up a solid #3/#4 for the Rangers which in the end will make that trade an interesting one for both team.

Capwise, the trade is still bad. And hockey nowadays is not solely about the product on the ice but the money in your pocket. You will never get the value of that contract. Because of that, fans will see the result in the upcoming summer.....either because we won't be able to sign Plekanec, either we will have to get rid of Hamrlik for not a whole lot etc....But I guess that it's still undecided to this day 'cause we don't know the miracles that Gauthier and Brisebois will be able to pull.

In resume, TO THIS DAY, it's a fine trade (even if I hated it when it happened, but always because I was talking about the upcoming future). Fine trade also thanks to the Pouliot trade.

But in no way can we already CALL that trade 'cause the cap and McDonagh's progression are still 2 undertermined factors.

People should realize that you can actually analyse a trade over a whole lot of years. I said that already, but I'm sure that there are some posters on this board waiting to see how Conboy will develop in order to call the Ribeiro trade a "not-so-bad" after all.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Bullsmith

It all depends on McDonagh to me. Higgins for Gomez is a good trade for Montreal, even if it did eat up a huge chunk of cap space. If Ryan turns out to be a bottom-pairing guy it's still a good deal. If he turns into a minute-eating beast defensively, as I fear, then we overpaid by a large margin. We don't have another guy like him in the entire organization, really.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
if you read in the canadiens magazine this month its on poulliot but if you read one line it says "At first i wondered who the big skinny new guy was in the dressing room,(gomez saying this) then the first game in Carolina Gomer came over to me and told me to do one thing: play my game. "

shows he enjoys being here and wanting to help and win well thats what i think forget what people say about Gomez i like what he is doing

Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I didn't read the article, but I am prepared to give my observations.

Sam Pollock used to say that the team that got the best player usually wins a trade.

In this case, it is surely true.

Glen Sather got himself in very bad trouble with ridiculous contracts given out to Chris Drury, a career 2nd line centre or elite 3rd liner, to Wade Redden, a former above-average defenceman now past his prime, and Michal Rozsival, a defenceman who is neither offensively productive nor defensively very tough. In addition, he had signed Scott Gomez to an expensive contract during the 2007 Summer free agent period, and even though Gomez was #1 in points among the free agents signed that year, his contract piled on top of the three horrible ones added up to quite a burden for Sather.

Furthermore, Sather wanted to try and snag the talented but oft-injured and moody Marian Gaborik on July 1st. Gaborik was the perfect guy to continue a rather long tradition of Ranger free agent signings: the self-absorbed star player. Desperate to try and make some cap space, Sather tried peddling Drury and Redden, but there were no takers. He then turned to the only option he saw remaining, which was to move his best centre, puck carrier and set-up man, Gomez. Gomez did draw some interest (as verified at the time in TV discussions with Brian Burke and another GM), and with time running out, Sather pulled the trigger and flipped Gomez to Montreal. In doing so, he played RIGHT INTO BOB GAINEY'S HANDS.

Gainey had gone behind the bench of the Habs in the final weeks of the 2009 season and did not like what he saw. The young leadership he was counting on, the Mike Komisareks and especially Chris Higgins, had regressed in a major way. Higgins appeared to have his head elsewhere than focused and in the game. Gainey had also noticed that his top centre, 34 year old cancer survivor Saku Koivu, was slowing down, unable to play well at both ends of the ice at the same time, despite having the smarts and the heart. The legs were just not there anymore.

Gainey decided that he was going to have to re-make his team, acquire a lot more speed in order to give newly hired coach Jacques Martin the kind of players he best works with, and identified in Scott Gomez a speedy playmaker, with two-way instincts, proven leadership (Team USA credentials), playoff warrior status (45 points in his last 42 playoff games), 2 Stanley Cup rings, and despite being somewhat stifled in the Rangers' defensive system, someone who was still their leading scorer and who led the Blueshirts to playoff participation in both years he was there, something the team failed to make seven of the previous nine years. In sum, Gomez, in Gainey's eyes as well as in the eyes of a lot of players throughout the league, was a WINNER, thoroughly trained in the New Jersey tradition of intelligent warriors.

The Habs scouting had also identified and targetted Tom Pyatt, a very speedy forward who could play all three positions, who had played for Team Canada in the WJC and who possessed the focus and determination that Jacques Martin would like. They requested he be included in the deal, and Sather, running out of time to make the space for Gaborik, agreed.

So, in a heist of rare proportions, Gainey was able to obtain the star centre he was seeking, Gomez, AND an underrated support player like Pyatt, in return for virtually peanuts: the very disappointing Higgins and a discouragingly slow-to-develop prospect in Ryan McDonagh, who had been passed on the Habs depth chart by PK Subban, and who could not crack the top defence pair of his college team in two years there.

The effect on the two teams was dramatic. The Habs leveraged Gomez into some free agent signings that were their most high-profile ever, particularly Mike Cammalleri and Brian Gionta, and the new core forward group, all good skaters with excellent work ethics, has transformed the Habs franchise in the short span of a few months.

Meanwhile, the Rangers lost their best playmaker, a proven two-way centre still in the prime of his career, a guy who had NEVER missed the playoffs, and followed though on their plan to go for the sizzle rather than the steak. Gaborik has produced points and stayed relatively injury-free but the chemistry of the team has been disrupted, their second and third line centres have had to take on roles beyond their capabilities, and neither Drury nor Redden is getting younger or better. Sather tried to improve his team by jettisoning Higgins and picking up highly paid Olli Jokinen, but the addition of the talented Finn who has only made the playoffs once and who is yet another self-absorbed player who does not have good chemistry with teammates has not improved the Rangers prospects to date. As of this writing, they sit in 10th place.

It is possible that Ryan McDonagh becomes a star in the NHL and saves this trade for the Rangers in the long run, but is it likely? McDonagh has slipped to 6th among defence prospects in the Rangers organization so the conclusion has to be that this appears to be highly unlikely at this time.

Conclusion: this trade DOES appear to be one of the worst trades of the season, and possibly Glen Sather's worst trade of the past several seasons.
Excellent Exposé! Bravo!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:23 PM
JrHockeyFan

The criticism of the Gomez deal is totally cap based. There were far worse deals made. Kessel for 3 top 2 round picks for the next two years by a team living at the bottom of the heap? Not to mention 1 dimensional Kessel will draw a cap hit of 5.4 mm. Plus who will those 3 picks turn out to be???. Strong possibility of Hall or Seguin this year

The Heatley deal was bad but forced for the most part. But wow. 3mm a year for Cheechoo? The flawed Spezza pretty much on his own pulling in 7 mm. The Sens are just falling off the pumpkin right now

I'm not happy about the Gomez cap hit, but no way was it the worst trade of the year. Not to mention that the deal has been suggested as being pivotal in drawing some UFA interest. And also in my opinion Gomez has been indispensible the last month

I do agree with the writers take on the lats/Pouliot deal though. Definite win win but it's obvious

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
We don't have another guy like him in the entire organization, really.
True. Our defensive squad for the future, prospect wise, looks like:

Subban
Weber
Carle
Bennett

Outside chance with Fischer suddenly becoming the player he was suppose to become (not gonna happen, but he's still in the mix). Extra outside chance to Stejskal.

So those first 4, add O'Byrne that will still be there and Markov who will die here, aside from O'Byrne, we all know that either it will come from the upcoming drafts, either that squad will need to be improved from the outside. And after all our big contracts will be gone 'cause there's no way we can add some outside nice 2-way d-man with the way the salary cap is build.

Add the fact that I don't have a lot of faith in Weber and Carle and you know that the upcoming drafts will be a repeat of 2006/2007....not the sexiest drafts because it will be build on d-men.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Come on, you know very well that it was a trade to clear cap space.

Anyone who tries to evaluate the trade by looking only at the players involved isn't serious.

This move helped the Rangers signing a star forward in Gaborik... it was a great move by Sather.

If the Rags aren't able to get better, it's because they still have 3 more albatros contracts in Drury, Redden and Rozsival... if they can manage to clear these 3 contracts the way they did with Gomez, they're in the playoffs and contending for the cup...
What good is Gaborik going to do in 9th or 10th or 11th spot?

I'd almost be willing to be everything I own that the Rangers WON'T make the playoffs. The Thrashers and Lightning both, IMO, have better chances of catching Boston.

And if it was just a trade to clear cap space, I don't think our #1 prospect would of been involved. I still believe that Gainey was the one who contacted Sather first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Ryan McDonagh - Value has dropped since the trade and not yet signed to a contract
I haven't seen him play, but all reports indicate his value hasn't really dropped. He was named, I believe, to the 2nd All-Star team this season and played top minutes for his club.

The only site that has his value dropped, is HockeysFuture, who has Ben Maxwell listed as our #1 prospect.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:34 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

I'd almost be willing to be everything I own that the Rangers WON'T make the playoffs. The Thrashers and Lightning both, IMO, have better chances of catching Boston.

And if it was just a trade to clear cap space, I don't think our #1 prospect would of been involved. I still believe that Gainey was the one who contacted Sather first.
I don't get what standings have to do with individual player contracts? I'm pretty sure that everyone would pick Gaborik over Gomez at the same cap hit. Gomez's contract is the same exact one he signed 2 years back and everyone thought it was horrible and it still is. The fact that he is a Habs now doesn't make it a good one. He's on pace for the same amount of points, or maybe even less than last year and the year before. He has been playing great but, like many others, he's not worth the money he gets paid. Not our fault since we didn't give him that contact but we did decide to take it on for the next 3 years.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
I don't get what standings have to do with individual player contracts? I'm pretty sure that everyone would pick Gaborik over Gomez at the same cap hit. Gomez's contract is the same exact one he signed 2 years back and everyone thought it was horrible and it still is. The fact that he is a Habs now doesn't make it a good one. He's on pace for the same amount of points, or maybe even less than last year and the year before. He has been playing great but, like many others, he's not worth the money he gets paid. Not our fault since we didn't give him that contact but we did decide to take it on for the next 3 years.
Highlight 1 - That is a free opinion at best. Everyone who understand hockey will agree that this is purely based on team needs and on potential chemistry.......our need was for an established Center (not an oft injured winger)....and if that center can open the gates to other sought players (Cammie and Gionta)....even better....

Highlight 2 - Also, a player's value is not solely determined by points (unless your building a team on a playstation).....Jacques Lemairs, Yvan Cournoyer, Yvon Lambert, Doug Jarvis, Guy Carboneau, Chris Nilan, Guy Lapointe, Bob Gainey, Mario Tremblay, Bunny Laroque, etc... and so many others proved that point!

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 03-20-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Max Levine

BaseballCoach, I enjoyed your post but it's unfair to say that we gave up peanuts. McDonagh is the one who could turn this trade around and we will have to wait a few years to see the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKOVFTW View Post
The reality is that we needed a number one center real bad. We traded away a player that is clearly never going to become what everyone thought he would in Higgins, a bunch of crap, and a good defensive prospect who may become a top 4 guy in a few years.

In return we got a proven playoff performer, who always plays well defensively, and who is overpaid. The truth is minus the start of the season where the chemistry was forming, and a peroid where his favorite winger was injured ( and probably him az well) gomez has been playing almost PPG and has been worth every penny. We'll see who calls this the worst trade of the year if Gomez does well in the playoffs.

Beasides I take gomez- gionta over koivu ( who probably would have been resigned if we hadn't of gotten Gomer) over koivu-higgins, even with the cap hits.
On the other hand, MarkovFTW tells it exactly as it is. I totally share that opinion.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:37 PM
babaoreilly*

I'd say Montreal won that trade by a long shot. Gomez is the few players in the league that can carry a puck from one end of the ice to the opponents end consistently. There are few players in the league that can do that. Christopher Higgins is an overpaid offensively unproductive 4th liner who's only value is forechecking and penalty killing, but he does that work at too high a price, Pyatt can do the same job for a quarter of the price. As suprising as it may seem I think the canadiens healthy might go all the way. What will they say then about the Gomez trade? The real overpaid duds on the rangers are Redden and Drury not Gomez. The rangers are probably glad they got rid of Higgins 2.25 million dud to Calgary.

babaoreilly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:38 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I think it was an awfull trade, but in no way is it worst than the Kessel trade...

Come on, Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin? Both cheaper, stronger, better than Kessel... plus a first round pick next year?

Also, the Heatley trade was worst, but contrary to Gainey, Murray had his hands tied up...

...still the Gomez trade was bad, very bad...
They haven't played a single NHL game yet.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Coldplay
Courage

**** the hockey news. Gomez is a beast, and he turns it up a notch in the playoffs too.

I'm sick of the moaning by media pundits who think they know everything. Gomez is a very good player who is making too much money. Get over it already jeez.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Capwise, the trade is still bad. And hockey nowadays is not solely about the product on the ice but the money in your pocket.
There is no doubt that it would have been better for us if Gomez' cap hit was $6M or even better, $5M. But if the cap hit was lower, this would not be one of the worst trades of the season, it would be one of the worst trades in the history of the NHL!! The ONLY saving grace for the Rangers was they got rid of a $1M-$2M problem. But they gave up WAYYYYYY too much to do so, and the result is that the two clubs have switched positions, it is the Habs who are now ahead of the Rangers, whereas before the trade, the Rangers were better.

Gainey could well afford the cap hit for Gomez. He had the following expired and EXCESSIVE contracts on his hand on June 30th:

5.625 Schneider
5.250 Tanguay
4.750 Koivu
4.000 Lang
2.250 Higgins (RFA market value)
1.900 Bouillon
1.725 Dandenault
1.500 Brisebois

I am not counting Komisarek or Kovalev because Gainey was planning on keeping them or paying good money to replace them. And I didn't count Kostopoulos' because he was not overpaid.

Pacioretty or another youngster was going to replace Higgins, so the net effect of Gomez plus youngster versus Koivu plus Higgins was only $1.2M more. That's NOTHING to speak of when you are UPGRADING, and like I said, so many other bad contracts were leaving, we had tons of space.

Unfortunately, Bob's signings of Cammalleri and Gionta were good, and probably Gill's as well, but Spacek and Mara were too expensive, and maybe Moen too. So the tons of cap space he had, even after trading Higgins for Gomez, evaporated. But don't blame the Gomez trade for that, when Gainey made 6 other moves afterwards.

Old
03-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Max Levine

Quote:

I haven't seen him play, but all reports indicate his value hasn't really dropped. He was named, I believe, to the 2nd All-Star team this season and played top minutes for his club.

The only site that has his value dropped, is HockeysFuture, who has Ben Maxwell listed as our #1 prospect.
I agree. No doubt in my mind Gainey initiated the discussions. This is how Sather was able to get McDonagh. After the trade was announced, that is the point that was upsetting me (McDonagh being included); not Gomez cap hit.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:44 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
**** the hockey news. Gomez is a beast, and he turns it up a notch in the playoffs too.

I'm sick of the moaning by media pundits who think they know everything. Gomez is a very good player who is making too much money. Get over it already jeez.
This sums everything up.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:46 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
Scott Gomez's PPG ratio is higher than it was last year.

Since December 1st, he's scored 40 points in 45 games. While not exactly worth the money, he's been producing.

He also has 9 points in 8 games since the Olympic's ended.

He also has 39 points in 31 playoff games since the lockout, while registering a +6.

And the standings have nothing to do about Individual Player contracts, but the whole goal of a trade is to make your team better. Montreal has a chance to finish 5th (instead of 8th), while the Rangers could easily finish 10th (instead of 7th).

I know there are other factors, but there has a lot of speculation that we wouldn't have signed Cammalleri or Gionta without having acquired Gomez. It's a fact that both of them talked about Gomez the day they signed.

So in essence, the Gomez trade improved our team. And it certainly didn't help the Rangers yet (McDonagh hasn't factored into this yet, but they basically traded Gomez for Gaborik). Am I not right here?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:50 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
if it was just a trade to clear cap space, I don't think our #1 prospect would of been involved.
I don't know what you are talking about, but our #1 prospect was not included in the trade. Not even our #1 defenceman prospect.

Our real #1 prospect, Mr. Pernell Karl, has already played two games in the NHL and garnered two points, and he is coming for good REAL SOON. Fasten your seatbelts, everyone!

Old
03-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Dannyhab

I'll do the Gomez trade again. At least we are overpaying for someone who brings it every night.

Dannyhab is offline   Reply With Quote