GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:11 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
If there was ever a moment in time where that is so relevant, this is it. Well played Sir!

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:15 PM
mnwildgophers

I like them odds!

Well...let's go further down and get a better pick since we can't make playoffs, yet it's so hard for me to see the team lose. I would actually rather see them win and play well to finish the season well since we aren't going to get much lower than like a 10 overall pick at this rate.

I still don't know why we didn't trade Nolan at the deadline, but then again I'm not a GM and maybe he comes back, but Fletch has done a good job of bringing in young talent such as Lats, Barker, and Wellman. I wasn't able to watch him play, but I heard that he's probably going to be a good one. Good to see us dip into the college free agency since we are so desperate for any kind of offensive prospects.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:12 PM
BigT2002

I'll keep saying it. Nolan was kept because of the "good 'ole boy" rule. He was asked. You never ask a player if he wants to stay unless he's a franchise player, I'm sorry.

Old
03-21-2010, 12:19 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

I like how GMCF approached the situation with Owen Nolan. Don't think other players won't appreciate the level of respect Fletcher showed him. I think it'll pay off in the future - people in every industry like working for bosses who handle themselves with class.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:44 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I like them odds!

Well...let's go further down and get a better pick since we can't make playoffs, yet it's so hard for me to see the team lose. I would actually rather see them win and play well to finish the season well since we aren't going to get much lower than like a 10 overall pick at this rate.

I still don't know why we didn't trade Nolan at the deadline, but then again I'm not a GM and maybe he comes back, but Fletch has done a good job of bringing in young talent such as Lats, Barker, and Wellman. I wasn't able to watch him play, but I heard that he's probably going to be a good one. Good to see us dip into the college free agency since we are so desperate for any kind of offensive prospects.
Wellman is about two steps away from having a nickname ending with "Jesus."

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
I like how GMCF approached the situation with Owen Nolan. Don't think other players won't appreciate the level of respect Fletcher showed him. I think it'll pay off in the future - people in every industry like working for bosses who handle themselves with class.
Pretty much. Fletcher's rationale for it is hoping it will paying off for another veteran in free agency (whether it is Nolan or someone else). Accumulating a lot of picks is great, but since Minnesota never blew things up and started a complete rebuild - Fletcher had the opportunity when he took over but let it go when he signed Havlat - an extreme overabundance isn't entirely necessary. Instead, the key is to find the right pieces for the system through a combination of good drafting and development (which you can do with your own picks), trades (which have paid off well) and free agency (which is yet to be determined). With the system Fletcher has in mind, it actually is more important to get bodies who work in the system through the latter two methods now rather than wait a few years and hope those prospects pan out.

Old
03-21-2010, 02:17 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
Let me rebuttal on this. First, how was his situation different than say, Kim Johnsson or Eric Belanger? Kim was leading the team in ice time and one of the best shutdown defensemen we had the on team, and Eric was in the Top 10 in the NHL for face off % and a vital piece to the 2nd line PK...especially with how we were playing having Koivu out for a PP and then us taking a stupid penalty almost immediately after it because we were out of position. Basically, Nolan was given the option because of work ethic and probably respect within the locker room with the guys. He has a habit of playing injured and pushing himself through. However, my second point, you are running a professional hockey team in a market that is as demanding for a championship as Dallas is with the NFL. We all consider this our sport and our birthright over any other state in the US, and rival the Canadian provinces in that respect as well. Even the Green Bay Packers let Favre walk away because it was time to move on and stop feeling obligated to someone because of they've done for the organization. You have to make the strides to win a championship. If we don't win it this year (obviously) what do we do next year? Sign a player that will be in his 40's by the end of the 2010-2011 season? Or do we watch him sign with another team this offseason since he'll be a FA and lose out on probably another 2nd round draft pick because of it? Priorities should always take precedence over favoritism.....

....But I will eat my words if this somehow gets us to sign a high profile player because he loves how the GM treats the players. He already has made the impression on the younger kids as we've already seen with our latest signings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Pretty much. Fletcher's rationale for it is hoping it will paying off for another veteran in free agency (whether it is Nolan or someone else). Accumulating a lot of picks is great, but since Minnesota never blew things up and started a complete rebuild - Fletcher had the opportunity when he took over but let it go when he signed Havlat - an extreme overabundance isn't entirely necessary. Instead, the key is to find the right pieces for the system through a combination of good drafting and development (which you can do with your own picks), trades (which have paid off well) and free agency (which is yet to be determined). With the system Fletcher has in mind, it actually is more important to get bodies who work in the system through the latter two methods now rather than wait a few years and hope those prospects pan out.
This is one of the deepest drafts in awhile. Having THREE 2nd round picks (as the going price for Nolan was a mid 2nd rounder) would have been amazing for getting this prospect pool going again. Of course bailing on Leddy does make me a little concerned and I think Fletcher knows that, so maybe there is a reason behind the madness.

Old
03-21-2010, 02:45 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
This is one of the deepest drafts in awhile. Having THREE 2nd round picks (as the going price for Nolan was a mid 2nd rounder) would have been amazing for getting this prospect pool going again. Of course bailing on Leddy does make me a little concerned and I think Fletcher knows that, so maybe there is a reason behind the madness.
But Wellman's even better than a second round pick!!!
/fans of an unnamed overdramatic fanbase

It would be nice to re-stock the prospect pool but I feel that Fletcher's rationale is more on the team and young players than the prospect pool. Essentially he wants to build from the top, develop the players and picks here (because even with the extra picks, the big problem for the Wild has been poor drafting and development) Yes it desperately needs improvement and that extra second would be nice given the playoff dream is over (I have more faith with GMCF compared to DR with choosing the right top-end guys), but having the top prospect pool doesn't necessarily win Stanley Cups. And as a unnamed overdramatic fanbase market that is as super-demanding for a championship, I'll take a better chance at a Stanley Cup.

Old
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
mnwildgophers

Having 3 picks in the top 60 will go a long way to re-stocking our prospect pool that doesn't boast much of anything especially in the forward corps. I do like the way that our blue line is shaping up now and in the future since we do have Scandella and Cuma coming up along with Barker and Burns who will probably be our core for a while to come.

Fletch has done a great job in adding a lot of younger talent than we had while still fielding a competitive team. It would be nice to have a high pick, but as Gopherstate said, our biggest problem has been drafting and developing our picks. You look at say, a Detroit, who has pretty much been the definition of drafting well and developing well, why can't we we do the same? I have all the confidence in the world for Fletcher since it is nice to see someone make moves and his trades have actually been pretty good.

The Kobasew trade doesn't seem too good right now, but I think he will pot 20 goals next year and he works hard.

Obviously, we know that the Lats trade worked out well, probably will pot 30 goals next year as long as he continues his confident play.

His first trade was to trade down in the draft, and ended up picking up Hackett with the pick he acquired from trading down, and he also acquired Brodziak who is good at what he does. I like the way he plays, but he doesn't score very much, but that's not his job.

I think that we will be fine, but it will take us a couple of years to get to the point that we need to be at.

Old
03-21-2010, 04:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

1 down, 10 to go.

Old
03-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Well, if the Wild could win their last 10 games, that would be awesome.

Lets see if other teams will collaborate...

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:10 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Having 3 picks in the top 60 will go a long way to re-stocking our prospect pool that doesn't boast much of anything especially in the forward corps. I do like the way that our blue line is shaping up now and in the future since we do have Scandella and Cuma coming up along with Barker and Burns who will probably be our core for a while to come.
It'll help, but as I've said the last few months, I'm not going to get my hopes up with drafting. Fletcher is pretty much doing the scouting now at this point because Tommy T needs to be ****canned.

Quote:
Fletch has done a great job in adding a lot of younger talent than we had while still fielding a competitive team. It would be nice to have a high pick, but as Gopherstate said, our biggest problem has been drafting and developing our picks. You look at say, a Detroit, who has pretty much been the definition of drafting well and developing well, why can't we we do the same? I have all the confidence in the world for Fletcher since it is nice to see someone make moves and his trades have actually been pretty good.
I kept hoping Wellman was going to get that goal tonight. And the reason that Detroit has done so magnificently in the draft is they were able to trade away their top picks for better veteran talent and still pull out showstoppers later on. Not to mention they probably have one of the best scouts in the entire NHL along with easily the best GM in the entire NHL .... and at one point easily the best coach in the NHL. Detroit is a shere definition of success within your organization.

IMO, the reason we sucked at scouting was it all revolved around what JL wanted in his system. If you looked at New Jersey while he was there (and even the Wild for a huge chunk of seasons), it was easily 90% Canadian. Look at who we were drafting outside of Gaborik and Koivu. Keep in mind that Backstrom was a huge afterthought because we had Roloson and Fernandez (Canadian) and we didn't see a shift in this to more Euro's until later on. JL's entire philosophy back then appeared to be: "have one line that is ultra fast and then let the rest kind of play keep away." Granted he wasn't getting a ton of help from DR in that department. So its almost like we just focused in the Canadian region of hockey and kind of let the scouts do their thing in Europe but wouldn't take them until later in the game. I mean, look who we were taking in the early stages of rounds as compared to the talent after we had made our pick.

Quote:
The Kobasew trade doesn't seem too good right now, but I think he will pot 20 goals next year and he works hard.
Its hard to rag on someone who was injured for basically 3/4 of the season. He was damn close to have his 2nd ever hattrick last night, and the first was just before Xmas. Right now, its been about the lines and mixing them up a bit. Kobasew, to me, is like a Kris Draper. He's not meant to pot in a crapload of goals, but be there for the forecheck to keep it in deep and get the play going. The whole premise to his acquisition was for the line he is on now. Kobasew-Brodziak-Clutterbuck. A hitting, forechecking machine. The only issue with it for me though is Brodziak was playing top level with GL and Marty.

Quote:
Obviously, we know that the Lats trade worked out well, probably will pot 30 goals next year as long as he continues his confident play.
It is funny, that it took an entire line to make up the difference for Gaborik. However, we are in a better position to make the playoffs than the Rangers are me thinks. Still wondering if he regrets what he did though...

Quote:
His first trade was to trade down in the draft, and ended up picking up Hackett with the pick he acquired from trading down, and he also acquired Brodziak who is good at what he does. I like the way he plays, but he doesn't score very much, but that's not his job.
That trade down was stupid, and I still believe he did it because someone was telling him Leddy was going to be a Mini Burns or something. I'm not sold on High School players being drafted at all though. Brodziak was brought in for the 4th line minutes while Belanger did 3rd line....meaning we were one shy of a 2nd line centermen. Obviously Fletcher and Richards both have a ton of faith, and I do as well, that Brodziak can handle the 2nd line minutes for now. But I wanna see something like: Koivu - Sharp - Brodziak - Ebbett as the centers. To me, that is some depth right there that can handle the depth at center position that Vancouver has. A 2nd line of Latendresse - Sharp - Havlat is practically insane to think about considering Sharp and Havlat were on the same line in Chicago.

Quote:
I think that we will be fine, but it will take us a couple of years to get to the point that we need to be at.
I'm confident in 2 more years this team will be back at the top of the Northwest Division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Well, if the Wild could win their last 10 games, that would be awesome.
Lets see if other teams will collaborate...
They went from a .04% to .08% chance to making the playoffs they are making strides!!!

Old
03-22-2010, 09:01 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
But I wanna see something like: Koivu - Sharp - Brodziak - Ebbett as the centers. To me, that is some depth right there that can handle the depth at center position that Vancouver has. A 2nd line of Latendresse - Sharp - Havlat is practically insane to think about considering Sharp and Havlat were on the same line in Chicago.
If the Wild were to bring in Patrick Sharp, I'd much prefer him on a wing. And more specifically, Koivu's wing. Kick Miettinen down to the lower lines/off the squad and roll with that. Sharp is exactly what Koivu and Brunette could use. A true shooter to feed the puck to.

At this point, I think Havlat and Latendresse could really make anyone useful at center. I mean, look at what they're doing with Ebbett/Brodziak. Finding Koivu a true, first line winger is more of a priority in my mind.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:38 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
If the Wild were to bring in Patrick Sharp, I'd much prefer him on a wing. And more specifically, Koivu's wing. Kick Miettinen down to the lower lines/off the squad and roll with that. Sharp is exactly what Koivu and Brunette could use. A true shooter to feed the puck to.

At this point, I think Havlat and Latendresse could really make anyone useful at center. I mean, look at what they're doing with Ebbett/Brodziak. Finding Koivu a true, first line winger is more of a priority in my mind.
As we were talking in the Trade and Proposal deal:

I'd do a Burns to San Jose for Setoguchi. If the Sharks do not like that deal, then we can try to sign Patty during FA and slide him on the wing with Koivu and Brunette. Can't knock Mittens to the 2nd line because its already booked as far as I'm concerned, and the 3rd is an energy line so he basically becomes the "well you can go out there and shoot if you want" type guy since he'll be on the fourth line. We will see how Wellman pans out, but if he does well we are actually beginning to get depth then!!!! Regardless we are trading Harding away this offseason I have a feeling, which means we need to put together a good deal and lets get someone else into this team that will help establish it more. At this point I wouldn't really care who it takes outside of Koivu to get it either. Being realistic, I still find Chicago the easiest to work with namely because we still will have them by the balls because of their cap situation, they'll want picks/prospects/and very underpaid players to head to that team. They can then drop Huet out and that saves them about $3M/yr based on giving Harding a $2.5M/yr contract at the very least.

But this would be a great Wild team IMO:

Marleau/Sharp/Setoguchi - Koivu - Brunette
Latendresse - Brodziak - Havlat
Kobasew - Nolan - Clutterbuck
Wellman - Ebbett - Mittens

Zanon - Zidlicky
Barker - Burns
Schultz - Stoner

Backstrom
Anton Khudobin

The biggest thing to remember though is that Marty isn't that fantastic on defense, so they need a good 2-way center who can play both ends and can also shoot it because he's all dangle, and I'm okay with that.

Last edited by BigT2002: 03-22-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old
03-22-2010, 09:50 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I think you could get someone to possibly take Miettinen off our hands if you really needed to. He makes a bit much, but it's not absurd or anything. He can be a quality PK guy and is a nice option when he actually finds a groove for a few weeks. The Wild likely wouldn't get much in return but I'm so sick of seeing him ring the puck off the plexi...

As for Harding, I'm not so sure you'd be able to get much at all in return for him. Especially since I believe it's pretty likelyhe undergoes another hip surgery in the offseason. And it's not exactly like he's played well this season either. I'd be interested in what Backstrom could bring in via a trade more than anything. Possibly taking a guy like Gagne off Philly's hands would be interesting.

As far as Burns, I'd be interested in moving him if the Wild could return a scoring option for the first line. Outside of that, I'd hold onto him and hope for the best.

I really think Nick Schultz needs to go, though. He has zero impact on any game and is essentually useless. Even more so now that he's relegated to the bottom pairing while making 3.5 million a season. What an ugly deal that is.

Old
03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
I think you could get someone to possibly take Miettinen off our hands if you really needed to. He makes a bit much, but it's not absurd or anything. He can be a quality PK guy and is a nice option when he actually finds a groove for a few weeks. The Wild likely wouldn't get much in return but I'm so sick of seeing him ring the puck off the plexi...
Very doubtful outside of a team that is in need of the services, like Atlanta or Florida. Plus this is a "finnish" team, if anything I'd suspect we'd get even more just based on that alone. From what I have heard from those who live in Finland (and not really on this board) their two favorite teams tend to be Anaheim (Selanne and Koivu) and ours.

Quote:
As for Harding, I'm not so sure you'd be able to get much at all in return for him. Especially since I believe it's pretty likelyhe undergoes another hip surgery in the offseason. And it's not exactly like he's played well this season either. I'd be interested in what Backstrom could bring in via a trade more than anything. Possibly taking a guy like Gagne off Philly's hands would be interesting.
He is showing his potential, but regardless, he won't be a starting role right away which is what he actually wants. At least in Washington or Chicago he would be in a #1A or #1B situation. Here, he will play backup and with how well a lot of the other younger guys are playing....he just isn't going to get it.

Backstrom has a NMC IIRC, or a NTC at the very least. He isn't going anywhere just on that premise alone. He absolutely loves this state so I don't see it happening. The issue was DR waiting so long to sign him and then forking in Roberto Luongo money for him. Teams who rely heavily on their goalies to win their games tend to lose in the playoffs. Hence why we haven't seen Vancouver get anything close to it, and Buffalo won't either.

Gagne is a bad choice IMO. Its like a lesser Gaborik under a different nationality...always injured. I don't want damaged goods.

Quote:
As far as Burns, I'd be interested in moving him if the Wild could return a scoring option for the first line. Outside of that, I'd hold onto him and hope for the best.
That is the only way I'm moving him. I still have a feeling Fletcher will attempt to get Jordan Staal. Don't ask me why, I just have a feeling he'll attempt it, especially if Gonchar retires because their defense is horrid outside of Orpik and him anyways. Jordan needs more time on the ice, and we get a legit PK center finally.

Quote:
I really think Nick Schultz needs to go, though. He has zero impact on any game and is essentually useless. Even more so now that he's relegated to the bottom pairing while making 3.5 million a season. What an ugly deal that is.
I agree with you, and its funny because Sheppard and him were the first two to get hyped about this more forecheck system because they could actually get involved with the offense. However, its a 2nd round pick and I think a lot of people are sick of losing the players we draft. I mean if we lose both Burns, Harding, Shepaprd, and Schultz this offseason in trades or what have you, that leaves as first round picks
Koivu and Gillies left over the course of a decade of the team. OUCH.

Old
03-22-2010, 10:45 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Backstrom has a NMC IIRC, or a NTC at the very least. He isn't going anywhere just on that premise alone. He absolutely loves this state so I don't see it happening. The issue was DR waiting so long to sign him and then forking in Roberto Luongo money for him. Teams who rely heavily on their goalies to win their games tend to lose in the playoffs. Hence why we haven't seen Vancouver get anything close to it, and Buffalo won't either.
Believe me, I thought he had some type of NTC/NMC and I've searched all over for it. Even very good websites like capgeek who record all clauses have zero mention of it. Therefore, I'm of the belief that what he actually has is a verbal NTC (like Bouchard). Which was issued by Risebrough. So, in my opinion, that should be worth about as much as the paper it's not written on.

If you've got evidence he actually has a NTC, I'd like to see it. Because we've searched for it in GM games and couldn't find it for some reason. I know he had a limited NTC before this new contract he signed but can't find anything concrete regarding this contract.

Old
03-22-2010, 11:00 AM
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!

Here's what I'd like to see next year:

Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Tenderness-Wellman-Havlat
Nolan-Bouchard-Kobasew (Nolan taking most of the faceoff duties)
Kassian-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Ebbett, Sheppard

That is assuming that Butch gets over his mashed potato brains and Kassian's play is an improvement over Boogaard's.

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:18 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Believe me, I thought he had some type of NTC/NMC and I've searched all over for it. Even very good websites like capgeek who record all clauses have zero mention of it. Therefore, I'm of the belief that what he actually has is a verbal NTC (like Bouchard). Which was issued by Risebrough. So, in my opinion, that should be worth about as much as the paper it's not written on.

If you've got evidence he actually has a NTC, I'd like to see it. Because we've searched for it in GM games and couldn't find it for some reason. I know he had a limited NTC before this new contract he signed but can't find anything concrete regarding this contract.
You know, I can't find it either but I'm pretty damn sure he has one still.

Old
03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTenderness View Post
Here's what I'd like to see next year:

Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Tenderness-Wellman-Havlat
Nolan-Bouchard-Kobasew (Nolan taking most of the faceoff duties)
Kassian-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Ebbett, Sheppard

That is assuming that Butch gets over his mashed potato brains and Kassian's play is an improvement over Boogaard's.
Wellman on the 2nd line?? I'm not so sure about that one. Brodziak has done his time as well to establish himself as the #3 center for this team too. And Ebbett def. takes Kassian out of the picture as well. And Sheppard will be gone this offseason mark my words.

Old
03-22-2010, 11:23 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
You know, I can't find it either but I'm pretty damn sure he has one still.
I was under that impression as well until it came to actually looking for proof of it.

Old
03-22-2010, 11:24 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Do you guys really want to re-up Ebbett? I'm not too sure I'd be on board with that.

Old
03-22-2010, 11:41 AM
mnwildgophers

I think that Ebbett wouldn't be so bad as a cheap center option, how much is he making this year?

We can't really know what kind of deals will happen this offseason since Blackhawks need to clear some major cap space, so we can see what they will do this offseason and hopefully pry away a Sharp from them, then I think that Ebbett may be expendable, but I remember reading something about how Sharp would prefer to be a winger rather than a center. I also think that we need a legit shooting winger for Koivu rather than a #2 center, but we can see what Fletcher can do.

I think that one of our goalies will be moving this offseason, most likely Harding since I remember reading that Backstrom has a NTC or NMC. I don't know what it is because I can't find anything on it either, but I think Backstrom will stay.

The biggest thing I think will be restocking our prospect pool this offseason with the picks we accumulated, we need to make these picks good ones.

Old
03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!

Quote:
Wellman on the 2nd line?? I'm not so sure about that one. Brodziak has done his time as well to establish himself as the #3 center for this team too. And Ebbett def. takes Kassian out of the picture as well. And Sheppard will be gone this offseason mark my words.
I'd like to see someone with a good shot playing center between those two. Whoever's playing center on that line is going to get their share of scoring chances, I want someone who can bury it more often than not. Based on what I've heard and seen of the kid, Wellman has the potential to be that guy.

I put Kassian out there because I've heard he's been playing pretty decently defensively down in Houston this year. I also like the idea of having a crash-and-bang, defensive line with a guy who can drop the mitts with anyone.

I think we re-sign Sheppard and let him work on his game in the off-season. If he comes into camp not showing any improvement, then you waive him and hope he makes it to the minors to find his game again.

I'd re-up Ebbett for another year. We should be able to get him inked for another year at or close to the league minimum. That's pretty good value for a center who has already shown he can fill in on any line if needed. He also brings pretty good speed, work ethic, and is a decent forechecker, all of which are valuable in this system.

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote