HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spezza

Old
03-20-2010, 09:08 PM
wilfred

vCash: 500
Spezza

I was wondering what Columbus would trade to get spezza. I was thinking
Brassard, Filatov, 1st. I was wondering if the value is right or what?

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
I was wondering what Columbus would trade to get spezza. I was thinking
Brassard, Filatov, 1st. I was wondering if the value is right or what?
I'm not good with estimating trade values, but if that's what we'd have to give up for Spezza then I'll pass 100% of the time.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Lunatik*

value wise its fair i think, but Ottawa isn't rebuilding so I don't see them moving Spezza for picks/prospects

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Wow that's a steep price. Spezza's a helluva player and I'd give up Brass ++ for him, but I'm not sure those +'s would be the 1st AND Filatov.

I'd happily trade Brass + Nik + Tyutin/2nd round pick, but I feel like that 1st could still end up top 3.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Wow that's a steep price. Spezza's a helluva player and I'd give up Brass ++ for him, but I'm not sure those +'s would be the 1st AND Filatov.

I'd happily trade Brass + Nik + Tyutin/2nd round pick, but I feel like that 1st could still end up top 3.
Agreed, it's the combination of Filatov + First making me hesitate. But I'd still strongly consider it. Stronnnnnggggly.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:01 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

The CBJ is not going to trade cheap, young players and draft choices for a guy with Spezza's contract. He's good, but this team can't afford him.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:

I don't know that we could do Brass + Nik + any pick because of the salary we'd be taking on.

For comparisons sake:

Brass(23) 3.2M per year through 2013/14
Filatov(20) 2.2M (potentially) through 2011/12

Spezza(27) 7M through 2014/15

Ages are at the beginning of next season.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
The CBJ is not going to trade cheap, young players and draft choices for a guy with Spezza's contract. He's good, but this team can't afford him.
+1

I love how Brassard has an off year and everyone seems to think he is expendable now.

If there's any chance of Filatov coming back, no way do we give up two of the top youngsters in the game for Spezza.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
+1

I love how Brassard has an off year and everyone seems to think he is expendable now.

If there's any chance of Filatov coming back, no way do we give up two of the top youngsters in the game for Spezza.
If we're getting Spezza back he IS expendable, IMO. But I see your point.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pony View Post
I don't know that we could do Brass + Nik + any pick because of the salary we'd be taking on.

For comparisons sake:

Brass(23) 3.2M per year through 2013/14
Filatov(20) 2.2M (potentially) through 2011/12

Spezza(27) 7M through 2014/15

Ages are at the beginning of next season.
True, but I think a dump (Commodore/Juice) could also come into play. Brass + Nik + Salary. Not sure if Ottawa would do it because it would kinda mean they're going into rebuild.

I think a better option would be Jeff Carter. Philly could get a bit of cap relief and also get some good talent back for him, we get a true #1. Only thing is that his contract is up next year, and with him earning 5 mil already one wonders how much of a raise he could get (6.5?).

But I think that caliber of player is what this team needs to get to the next level. Sure, Brass and Nik have what appears to be a bright future, but I don't see this team being very competitive next year without another marquee player. I know we're a budget team and that's why young guys are important for us, but eventually they too are gonna be earning the big bucks and we're gonna need to up our budget. Something has to give IMO.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
+1

I only advocate trading him so much in this thread because the proposals involve #1 centers. I'd trade Brass any day if it means we got a marquee guy. It's not like I think we should throw him away for scraps.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Spezza's not exactly old, he's in his prime. Brass, 1st, and Tyutin. That way we keep Filatov or trade him for another dman who's better than Tyutin. (which is just about any dman in the NHL).

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Skraut

Columbus is a team on a budget. No way they give up on guys on ELC's unless they have a trade they just can't pass up.

Guys on the cheap > marquee guys

Sorry it's not the not what fans want, but it is the reality of the situation.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
The only way I'd trade Brass is if we get a center that's currently better than him coming back our way. Hell, that's not just a desire to get better but also just for logistics... I don't know that we have enough warm bodies in the organization that could fill in at center and be as good as Brassard is now, even though he gets **** for regressing a bit this year.

But yeah Skraut is right; the owners are too cheap to agree to take on a guy making seven million bucks, anyway.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I only advocate trading him so much in this thread because the proposals involve #1 centers. I'd trade Brass any day if it means we got a marquee guy. It's not like I think we should throw him away for scraps.
Brassard can be as productive as Spezza in a couple of years, just give him time. I would rather wait and see if Brassard turns out than selling the farm away at this point, most of our experiments bringing in centers haven't turned out well, let's see how developing our own works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Spezza's not exactly old, he's in his prime. Brass, 1st, and Tyutin. That way we keep Filatov or trade him for another dman who's better than Tyutin. (which is just about any dman in the NHL).
Or AHL. Or ECHL.

In all seriousness, I have to agree with what Skraut said. We simply can't afford it.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Brassard can be as productive as Spezza in a couple of years, just give him time. I would rather wait and see if Brassard turns out than selling the farm away at this point, most of our experiments bringing in centers haven't turned out well, let's see how developing our own works.
He might become as productive as Spezza, but how long can we really afford to wait? I'm only trying to think in the realm of the fanbase. I'll always be a fan of this team no matter what...no matter if they keep up the 10 years of suckage or not, but in the back of my mind will always be ticket sales, people losing faith in the club, and the possibility of relocation. It's a fear of mine that this team could move if things don't pick up, and I don't know if we currently have what it takes to be successful.

We're not "selling the farm" by trading Brass and Nik. We're merely replacing them. I know that it hurts emotionally because we're such a relatively young organization, but it's what long tenured successful teams have to do. As I mentioned before, Brass, Jake, Nik, et al will soon be earning big money, and at that point we're gonna have to up our budget. By keeping them in favor of higher paid players, we're just delaying the inevitable.

Old
03-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Filatov AND 1st? Too much. Filatov OR 1stm plus something else (ala TW's suggestion)? OK.

Old
03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Filatov AND 1st? Too much. Filatov OR 1stm plus something else (ala TW's suggestion)? OK.
Hey, he want's 3 of our top 7 overall picks for one player.

Sure, why not. It's not like our fans went through crappy ass seasons to draft those players.

I do need to update this though

"Are you looking To Acquire Mike Commodore ? " -> Yes -> "Do you have a spare bag of pucks handy?" -> Yes -> Sold!

Last edited by Skraut: 03-21-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old
03-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Hey, he want's 3 of our top 7 overall picks for one player.

Sure, why not. It's not like our fans went through crappy ass seasons to draft those players.
You're right. It's not like we can draft properly or develop these players, so why not trade them? We should be trading 2 or 3 "maybes" for a "sure thing".
Every year it's the same thing, "oh he might be good in 4 years", "oh look at the potential on him", "he's a first liner on the Jackets in 2 years".
Gets old after awhile.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Skraut

Because we can't "afford" a sure thing.

Unless things change with the arena lease, we'll be losing quite a few of these players when they come off ELC's simply because we have so much money tied up in players like Huselius, Commodore, and Klesla, that there isn't the budget room to be able to afford them.

Sure we'd all love the "Sure Thing," but the money has to come from somewhere.

I used to think that the lockout helped the team, but now with the salary floor I see that it is hurting it financially.

This team would have less than a $25 million payroll if it could. Welcome to the Cleveland Indians of the NHL, just another farm team for the rest of the league.

Old
03-21-2010, 03:21 PM
The Fuhr*

Stop posting Spezza trade threads he is our only youngish offensively gifted player.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Stop posting Spezza trade threads he is our only youngish offensively gifted player.
But if he's traded for Brassard and Filatov you'd have two

Brassard will be a hit of 3.2 million starting next year, so you can't really use the "young and cheap ELC" for him anymore.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
In all fairness, it wasn't even a Columbus fan who proposed it.

Old
03-21-2010, 08:56 PM
CapnCornelius

As pointed out above our tightwad owners and Nationwide are angling for some government money with an assist from Gary Bettman via the All Star bid. They aren't going to spend any money on players until they get their bailout and likely won't bother after they get their handout either. Gotta keep that league welfare...er, revenue sharing.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:08 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

One of Brass/Filatov+a pick+a salary jettison would be tempting...with our luck, Brass/Nik-Fil-A would light it up & make us regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

I do need to update this though

"Are you looking To Acquire Mike Commodore ? " -> Yes -> "Do you have a spare bag of pucks handy?" -> Yes -> Sold!
PPQB Defenseman? -> Yes -> Can you do better than Anton Stralman? -> Yes -> I'm listening...

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote