HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Spezza

Old
03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Casework

vCash: 500
Spezza for Brassard, Huselius, and Filatov or a pick.

Nash-Spezza-Voracek
Umberger-Vermette-Free agent (Stempniak, Torres)
Calvert-Pahlsson-Clark
Sestito-Murray-Dorsett

Last edited by Casework: 03-21-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
+1

I love how Brassard has an off year and everyone seems to think he is expendable now.

If there's any chance of Filatov coming back, no way do we give up two of the top youngsters in the game for Spezza.
Um...Other's could say he overachieved for the first couple of months last year. This is his first year, there were no "good" years before this. It's time for Brassard to start producing and looking lethal out there or else it's time to move on.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Um...Other's could say he overachieved for the first couple of months last year. This is his first year, there were no "good" years before this. It's time for Brassard to start producing and looking lethal out there or else it's time to move on.
had this discussion last night in Nashville....I like Brass, I like Vermette, but all I see, we have two 2nd line centers...I will trade Brass + many other things to get a Jeff Carter, a Spezza, or anyone that IS a #1 center or as close to it as possible...

I want us to succeed, and quickly, not in a few years....

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
had this discussion last night in Nashville....I like Brass, I like Vermette, but all I see, we have two 2nd line centers...I will trade Brass + many other things to get a Jeff Carter, a Spezza, or anyone that IS a #1 center or as close to it as possible...

Two second line centers is not necessarily a bad thing. Lots of teams succeed with same - in fact, they kind of have to, as the supply of true #1 centers is extraordinarily limited.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post

I'm totally with you. The hangup others have is the budget, but let's be honest, there are ways to get rid of excess salary. Just look at the events before the Heatley trade. I want us to be successful ASAP, and we can expedite the arrival of that success by swapping Brass for a Carter. Sure, we lose the opportunity to produce a "homegrown" talent, and I like Brass as much as the next guy, but c'mon, that's the nature of the biz. Brass + a 5-9 overall pick for Carter has us gaining 1.8 million. If we wanna shed some salary after that, I'm sure we could find a suitor for Toots.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Spezza has a cap hit of 7 million for the next five years! The Jackets are srtuggling to pay the ushers... no way...ever.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:13 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Spezza has a cap hit of 7 million for the next five years! The Jackets are srtuggling to pay the ushers... no way...ever.
I hear the ushers are spreading trade rumors to get some extra money on the side.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I hear the ushers are spreading trade rumors to get some extra money on the side.
Thanks for not pulling a Pete police on me... srtuggling would not be liked by him..

I know my ushers, they love the Crew.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:32 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Thanks for not pulling a Pete police on me... srtuggling would not be liked by him..
I don't know, Robert, "srtuggling" is kind of cute - sounds like some sort of sexting code.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:45 AM
blahblah

Spezza again? Seriously?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:56 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
As pointed out above our tightwad owners and Nationwide are angling for some government money with an assist from Gary Bettman via the All Star bid. They aren't going to spend any money on players until they get their bailout and likely won't bother after they get their handout either. Gotta keep that league welfare...er, revenue sharing.
I personally would like to see some sort of "gentlemen's agreement" that CBJ Ownership will become bigger movers and shakers in the acquistion and icing of a successful team if the taxpayers bail them out on this arena deal.

I see no reason that this can't be reached assuming they no longer have to worry about paying a third party for the arena.

If its not the way things will go, I'd appreciate them just shutting up about the moving the team threats and sell to someone or something that will take the time to work these internal issues out.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Spezza again? Seriously?
What, would you rather we go round and round over Brad Richards again?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:14 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

lets see if I get ripped for this...

Something needs to break here, we need a player that can play with Nash or else ownership is just wasting money paying Nash just to save face with the "Nash Fans" in Columbus, who may outnumber the "Bluejacket Fans"...

Trade for or sign an elite, high level player to play with Nash or trade Nash (if you can)

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:46 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
In all fairness, it wasn't even a Columbus fan who proposed it.
I know, he was in edmonton too trying to trade Spezza

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Crede777
Deputized

We can't afford Spezza without giving up Huselius. If it were Huselius + Brassard + 1st 2010 I'd do it.

Heck, I'd even do Filatov + Brass + 1st 2010 for Spezza if we COULD afford him. Right now the Jackets likely will have pick #5-10. Judging from our past draft history, we won't get anything great from it unless someone drops who should be in the top 5. Brass is good, but I think Spezza's an upgrade over Brassard even 3-4 years down the road. Juice is juice - a winger who's paid $4 million but is quite expendable.

Filatov's value comes entirely from his low cap hit and potential.

IDK why Ottawa would do it, though, as they aren't looking for a rebuild.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:45 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
I was wondering what Columbus would trade to get spezza. I was thinking
Brassard, Filatov, 1st. I was wondering if the value is right or what?
No, too much for Spezza.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
How many other centers has this team had that put up numbers the way Brassard did last year? Even if it was only for two months.

He was picked so high for a reason, and we have seen flashes of his brilliance. Take away the injury from last year, and I'd be willing to bet we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Voracek didn't produce under Hitchcock, but I don't see you selling him off the farm.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 04:23 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
IDK why Ottawa would do it, though, as they aren't looking for a rebuild.
QFT. Last year it made some sense when the Sens were struggling--and even then I was suggesting the trade would be of a Nash for Spezza variety. But after the Heatley trade and this year's performance I think you have to assume that Jason Spezza is the franchise player on this team for years to come. Alfie is on the downside of his career. Spezza is their Nash. I think it would take an awful lot for them to give him up just as it would take us an awful lot to trade Nash.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
QFT. Last year it made some sense when the Sens were struggling--and even then I was suggesting the trade would be of a Nash for Spezza variety. But after the Heatley trade and this year's performance I think you have to assume that Jason Spezza is the franchise player on this team for years to come. Alfie is on the downside of his career. Spezza is their Nash. I think it would take an awful lot for them to give him up just as it would take us an awful lot to trade Nash.
This post clears up the entire discussion. Spezza is to the Sens as Nash is to the Jackets.

Would we trade Nash away to the Predators for Legwand, Radulov and a pick? I highly doubt that.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 05:58 PM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
This post clears up the entire discussion. Spezza is to the Sens as Nash is to the Jackets.

Would we trade Nash away to the Predators for Legwand, Radulov and a pick? I highly doubt that.
Your right, but at the same time both of our teams have the same problem. Our players both need someone to play with to make them better. I think that Spezza and Nash playing together would make both of them worth their contract. I would certainly love to make an offer for Nash.

Michalek, Cowen, 1st/2010, 2nd/2011.

Not that it matters but if you look at Spezza's contract 8,8,8,5,4 so it is really 6.6 average over the next 5 years not alot of difference but in the last 2 years you will have one of the best contracts in the NHL

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Don't want him at all. Not even a little bit, I don't think he would be good in the West.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 07:42 PM
SpezDispenser

Classic case of Spezza being too important to the Sens and the youth being too important to the Jackets.

I think I'd like to keep Spez.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 12:08 AM
tkeats

Check out the trade and rumors page on the main's this guy post a different trade involving Spezza every week.. and gets blasted by Ottawa fans.. it's actually pretty funny to read through them

tkeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 04:49 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
Your right, but at the same time both of our teams have the same problem. Our players both need someone to play with to make them better. I think that Spezza and Nash playing together would make both of them worth their contract. I would certainly love to make an offer for Nash.

Michalek, Cowen, 1st/2010, 2nd/2011.
Not enough for Nash. It's too much quantity, not enough quality. Really the only player on the Senators worth Nash would be Spezza, but it's pointless trading one for the other.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2010, 06:29 AM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj2RUSSELL View Post
Check out the trade and rumors page on the main's this guy post a different trade involving Spezza every week.. and gets blasted by Ottawa fans.. it's actually pretty funny to read through them
Your right it is funny, but we are split half and half whether we want to trade him. I am more of a realist, I think we should trade him if we got the right offer. I really like the guy and think he is a number #1 center, but without a sniper to play with him or a another superstar I think he is just above average. I either want to find a player who will fit with Spezza or trade him for young potential. I think he and Nash would both be in the 100+ point range with about 40 goals each. They both would free up so much space for another, alone they will score in the 80 points and not be worth their contract.

I think that Bryan Murray would trade Spezza for Brassard, Filatov(would need to talk to him first) and col 1st/2010. To be honest I don't think that the team would lose that much in the short term and would be better longterm

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote