HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spezza

Old
05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
but I am not confident that we can develop talent.. what could be future stars for another club, might be Brule's for us. I think they would be stars in the future, but we need a bonafide today.
In a vacuum, just based on the players involved, I'd do it. I don't think the bottom-line types would go for it.

Old
05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
but I am not confident that we can develop talent.. what could be future stars for another club, might be Brule's for us. I think they would be stars in the future, but we need a bonafide today.
Sigh.

Jakub Voracek, Kris Russell, Derek Dorsett, and Marc Methot would probably have something to say about this "inability to develop talent". Come next year, Steve Mason, Derick Brassard, and Nikita Filatov will likely have a few words as well.

Someday, people are really going to get that Doug MacLean doesn't work here anymore, and that Howson runs things differently, and they're going to stop assuming that past performance is an indicator of future success (or lack thereof), and we won't have to retread the same silly conversations over and over.

G-d almighty. One "step backward" season out of the last three or four and you'd think we were the Sisyphus of the NHL.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Sigh.

Jakub Voracek, Kris Russell, Derek Dorsett, and Marc Methot would probably have something to say about this "inability to develop talent". Come next year, Steve Mason, Derick Brassard, and Nikita Filatov will likely have a few words as well.

Someday, people are really going to get that Doug MacLean doesn't work here anymore, and that Howson runs things differently, and they're going to stop assuming that past performance is an indicator of future success (or lack thereof), and we won't have to retread the same silly conversations over and over.

G-d almighty. One "step backward" season out of the last three or four and you'd think we were the Sisyphus of the NHL.
Here Here

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 07:42 AM
81Leafs50

I personally think that Spezza was a waste of a 2nd overall pick but with Nash on his line anything is possible.

If the Blue Jackets want him the price of Filitov and a 1st is way too steep. Filitov is going to be a very good sniper in the years to come.

Vermette, Voracek, and Stralman would be fair. Maybe a 2nd or a 3rd in there too but that's it.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 09:14 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

I respect your opinion Viqsi..

Quote:
Sigh.

and might agree with your stance had Howson's solid work occurred from day 1. Be that as it may, it wasn't and we are way behind the eightball here in Columbus. Virtually everywhere I look in trying to draw interest for the Blue Jackets all I get is apathy. Often times we have had $80 tickets going unused in bunches. Very sad. Not to worry, my company's PSL has been dropped by Mgmt that just can't see the value anymore.

I think a methodical approach like Howson's might have steered clear of the overagers and Euro's that dotted our early drafts. Howson would have been comfortable building his depth chart and dreaming of better things to come. Most of the fanbase would have been patient as well. Howson probably would have known about and avoided situations like Kyle McCleod, Moyzachin and others.

Tronta fan, I share your enthusiasm for Filatov's play and think he will be an NHL star, but I am willing to trade that future for a star today that can make this franchise relevant.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 09:58 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
I would give Brassard, Filatov and next year 2011's first for Spezza. Sens fans would come around to it as well. Coupled with Milan they would have the beginning of a pretty quality rebuild. Spezza is soft, but in a new environment like Columbus where he could just play I think he would work well with Nash, & Jacub Voracek.

For Jeff Carter I would do something fairly close to this.

For Ryan Getzlaf I would trade whatever it takes to get the deal done

Sign Bobby Ryan who is restricted, and your top line is ryan getzlaf nash.. now were beginning to get somewhere. I'm tired of that dreaded word potential, and I still hate Doug MacLean for not staying patient in building this franchise. Back in the day when he signed Luke & LaPylon and brought in the umpteenth bum forward we should have sent him packing. As fans we just didn't know how badly finishing out of the cellar would hurt us in the long run.
No. Spezza`s value is not such big. I do not know why we find others players. Our possibly lines:

Huselius--Vermette--Nash
Filatov--Brassard--Voráček

are excelent. Only what we need is a good coach, who will know to use their potencial.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Leafs50 View Post
If the Blue Jackets want him the price of Filitov and a 1st is way too steep. Filitov is going to be a very good sniper in the years to come.

Vermette, Voracek, and Stralman would be fair. Maybe a 2nd or a 3rd in there too but that's it.
I like Filatov, but I value Vermette and Voracek more highly than I do Nikki. The Jackets are weak down the middle and I can't see them trading their best current center, even for an improvement (assuming, for arguments sake, that Spezza would be an improvement with this team). And there are many who would prefer Jake's potential as an all-around forward to the excitement that Filatov may eventually provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Our possibly lines:

Huselius--Vermette--Nash
Filatov--Brassard--Voráček

are excelent. Only what we need is a good coach, who will know to use their potencial.
The defensive liability of that second line really frightens me. I could see it in a few years, but I'm not sure they're ready to play together in the top six, this season.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I like Filatov, but I value Vermette and Voracek more highly than I do Nikki. The Jackets are weak down the middle and I can't see them trading their best current center, even for an improvement (assuming, for arguments sake, that Spezza would be an improvement with this team). And there are many who would prefer Jake's potential as an all-around forward to the excitement that Filatov may eventually provide.

The defensive liability of that second line really frightens me. I could see it in a few years, but I'm not sure they're ready to play together in the top six, this season.
Brassard and especially Voráček know to defense. Nikita is going to show it (besides he has Hitchs school ). I do not see any problem for this line in the next season.

Old
05-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Brassard and especially Voráček know to defense. Nikita is going to show it (besides he has Hitchs school ). I do not see any problem for this line in the next season.
I'd agree a season or two from now... but not next season, not quite yet. They're still learning, and so are still more prone to mistakes - Filatov especially. They're going to need folks who can cover their butts and allow them the opportunity to make mistakes that can be learned from.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:53 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
I'd agree a season or two from now... but not next season, not quite yet. They're still learning, and so are still more prone to mistakes - Filatov especially. They're going to need folks who can cover their butts and allow them the opportunity to make mistakes that can be learned from.
In this case we can put lines:

Huselius - Brassard - Nash
Filatov - Vermette - Voráček

I think last season was similar season such for Derick as for Steve exception.

Old
05-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
In this case we can put lines:

Huselius - Brassard - Nash
Filatov - Vermette - Voráček

I think last season was similar season such for Derick as for Steve exception.
I have thought about this and it's the only way I can see getting Niki into the top 6 on a regular basis. DB has to step his game up.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:15 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

The potential of those lines is great, DSL and mk-svk, but it really would be refreshing if we weren't always betting the ranch on potential. This team need some significant success to build on and an identity on which to depend. Let's hope the new coach can provide the foundation for that and can bring out the best in those six players. That lineup would push Umby to the third line with Pahlsson, which I think makes this a much more difficult team to play.

Maybe.

Old
05-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Hope springs eternal!

Especially in the off season.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
The potential of those lines is great, DSL and mk-svk, but it really would be refreshing if we weren't always betting the ranch on potential. This team need some significant success to build on and an identity on which to depend. Let's hope the new coach can provide the foundation for that and can bring out the best in those six players. That lineup would push Umby to the third line with Pahlsson, which I think makes this a much more difficult team to play.

Maybe.
Don't misinterpret my saying that's the only way Filatov gets in the top six with "yeah, great idea!" But the second line simply cannot be Niki-Brass-Jake. So if (emphasis on if) Niki is going to play top 6, mt's lines are the onyl way I can see it.

Personally, I'd like to see another Umby-esque player brought in, even in a trade, that would share 2nd-3rd line duties with RJ. Sandpapery with a little scoring touch, I think I said in another thread.

Old
05-19-2010, 08:57 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Pahlsson can play 4th line center + SH.

So, they are some options:

1. We will et third line center and Umby will play wing.
2. Umby will play center and we will get wing..

I would trade Clark.

Old
05-19-2010, 09:17 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Don't misinterpret my saying that's the only way Filatov gets in the top six with "yeah, great idea!" But the second line simply cannot be Niki-Brass-Jake. So if (emphasis on if) Niki is going to play top 6, mt's lines are the onyl way I can see it.

Personally, I'd like to see another Umby-esque player brought in, even in a trade, that would share 2nd-3rd line duties with RJ. Sandpapery with a little scoring touch, I think I said in another thread.

Is that where Frolov might fit in?

Old
05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Is that where Frolov might fit in?
Absolutely not.

Old
05-19-2010, 02:19 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Absolutely not.
Agree, Frolov not.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

To further my point above (and with the caveat that I don't know as any of thiis will or even might happen, just offering an opinion)...

Rather than looking at Frolov, I'd prefer to get involved in the Byfuglien/Versteeg situation, or maybe look at trading for RFA Eric Fehr (would Caps have interest in a guy like Boll?), as examples of players I like. To be honest, I guess I could see bringing Raffi back at this point. He seemed to have developed something here and lost it in B-lo. Speaking of B-lo, a guy like Drew Stafford also appeals.

Anyway,l yeah I get these guys also have their issues, not to mention costs, but these are guys I'd rather target than a Frolov.

Old
05-19-2010, 03:50 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
To further my point above (and with the caveat that I don't know as any of thiis will or even might happen, just offering an opinion)...

Rather than looking at Frolov, I'd prefer to get involved in the Byfuglien/Versteeg situation, or maybe look at trading for RFA Eric Fehr (would Caps have interest in a guy like Boll?), as examples of players I like. To be honest, I guess I could see bringing Raffi back at this point. He seemed to have developed something here and lost it in B-lo. Speaking of B-lo, a guy like Drew Stafford also appeals.

Anyway,l yeah I get these guys also have their issues, not to mention costs, but these are guys I'd rather target than a Frolov.
That all sounds interesting, DSL, particularly Bufuglien or Versteeg. I had no strong feelings about Frolov, so that's why I asked for yours.

Old
05-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
That all sounds interesting, DSL, particularly Bufuglien or Versteeg. I had no strong feelings about Frolov, so that's why I asked for yours.
To me, Versteeg is the ideal player, but of course the reason CHI would/might want to move him is to free up salary, which doesn't exactly scream "Jackets M-O!"

Old
06-14-2010, 12:34 AM
benjiv1

Spezza, Lee, Ott 1st in 2011

for

Brassard, 1st in 2010, 2nd in 2010, Russell

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post

for

Too much salary coming back, there's no need to trade Russell, and there's no need to take a team that has high-end and depth-related holes and have the first pick in this year's draft as #55.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:09 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Too much salary coming back, there's no need to trade Russell, and there's no need to take a team that has high-end and depth-related holes and have the first pick in this year's draft as #55.
Yes. However, I would trade away either one of the two 2nd rounders we have for Brian Lee.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post

for

With a few minor adjustments, this could be the start of something. Now, go back and read through this thread.