HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs win 3-2 in SO

Old
03-21-2010, 01:06 AM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Can somebody answer these 2 questions for me.

Why is it that when Price loses and the team plays bad it's Price fault because the team has no confident in him but when Halak loses and the team plays bad it's the teams fault for not showing up?

Why is it that when a player scores on Price a la Kessel it's because he wasn't position right but when they score on Halak it is a perfect shot?
Has nothing to do with that at all. It does have something to do with the fact that the team wins with Halak in net more times than not. The stats don't lie and right now Halak is playing well 9 times out of 10. He has earned it. Price's day will ome and he's still young. Halak is the number one right now and has played like it.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Best outcome possible out of this game, the leafs get 2 pt and we get 1

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Please put Price in net for the next game

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:33 AM
number 11

can we keep the goalie talk in the goalie threads, and leave the PGT to talk about the game?

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I have been following the coaching decisions pretty closely, and I'll say that it makes no sense to assume, for now, that the modus operandi is the same as it was two months ago. Although Martin has respected the win and you're in rule pretty closely, we need to take a broader look that show's us where things are heading, not just what's happened. I think if we look at the season as thirds, it's obvious to me that the rule either already is, or will be, broken soon.

First third of the season, Price was the official number 1 and played consistently after losses. Second third of the season, the win and you're in rule was applied. Final third of the season (now), Halak has just become too big to ignore any longer. His stats across the board have made a clear break with Price, something which wasn't always apparent during the middle period except in wins/losses.

With ten games to go, the Price experiment (meaning getting Price on a winning streak at all costs) is officially over. Halak has made a convincing case for number 1, and I expect Martin will play him as a number 1 from here on in. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the general impression I get of where things will go.
Yeah, I totally agree with this.

Halak has won the No. 1 job for the remainder of the season, and I'd be surprised if he isn't starting for us in the playoffs.

I don't expect Price to get many more games until/unless we mathematically guarantee ourselves a playoff spot. Then you might see Halak rested a bit for the playoffs, leading to a few Price starts.

One positive coming out of this lost: We probably won't suffer a let-down after Cammy and/or Bergeron come back, since we've already had one with this lost. Sometimes when a good player returns to the line-up, the rest of the team slacks off a bit in the hopes of the returning player making the difference. This is especially true if the team is on a winning streak when the good player returns.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JayBee*

Bipolar Hab fans. I wish you could all go cheer for a different team.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ryan O'Byrne

well losing to Toronto does suck but we got a point and Boston's chance at the 1st or 2nd over all keeps getting worse which is a good thing. So a point makes it win win

Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:39 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Actually, I think the leafs had the edge tonight. If anyone deserved the game in reg, it was them.

As for the leafs finishing 5th next season, I would say those are extremely lofty expectations unless burke works some miracles in the ufa season. Yes, the leafs are playing well right now, and a youth movement can be exciting, but with youth comes lots of inconsistency over an 82 game season (although I suppose you can say the avs have been an exception to the rule).
Yeah we (the leafs) are not finishing 5th next year lol..i'd be shocked if that happened

But anyway i thought it was a really even game tonight it could've gone either way...i guess you could blame the habs powerplay if anything..but whatever 1 point is still good on the road

And cammilari's coming back...he's gonna make a big difference for the playoffs..some of you habs fans are tripping out ! relax

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
Please put Price in net for the next game
you will see him next week at some point... but to put him in against the sens in what will be the biggest game of the season so far is pretty dumb if you ask me.

When Martin went to Halak after the edmonton game, it should have become evident that he is the #1 goalie, and he's done a damn fine job too, so i don't understand your plea to put price in that massive game.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:05 AM
Prokofievian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Has nothing to do with that at all. It does have something to do with the fact that the team wins with Halak in net more times than not.
Oh dear jesus, the win-loss argument, again? I am going to have to spell out exactly why this is a terrible argument to make. In fact, you basically spell it out in this section of the post. "The team wins," exactly. It's the team that does the winning and the losing. Halak's effect on the team winning or losing cannot be just automatically assumed, otherwise, you're correlating two things without demonstrating a clear link between them. Saying "when halak is in net, we win more often" is alot like this:

1.) Halak is in net
2.) ?????
3.) More wins!!! Yay!

Here's another example of correlation going wrong. Water freezes as the atmospheric temperature approaches 0. Mercury in a thermometer shrinks as the atmospheric temperature approaches 0. Therefore, water freezes because mercury in a thermometer shrinks.

The two are intimately linked, yet the role that "mercury shrinking" plays in water freezing is not established, and therefore, this argument is ridiculous.

Do you see what I'm saying? You can't take a function of a team(winning or losing) and attribute it to something as superficial as halak playing or not. A win loss stat does not take into account what role Halak played in that, only that he was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
The stats don't lie and right now Halak is playing well 9 times out of 10. He has earned it. Price's day will ome and he's still young. Halak is the number one right now and has played like it.
The stats don't lie(how could a number lie about what it is, itself?), but what they actually say is very easily misinterpreted. They only say in a very superficial way "what" happened, and not "how" it happened. Furthermore, the stats that you're most probably using are in no way a sophisticated enough metric to rely on alone.

Prokofievian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:52 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokofievian View Post
Oh dear jesus, the win-loss argument, again? I am going to have to spell out exactly why this is a terrible argument to make. In fact, you basically spell it out in this section of the post. "The team wins," exactly. It's the team that does the winning and the losing. Halak's effect on the team winning or losing cannot be just automatically assumed, otherwise, you're correlating two things without demonstrating a clear link between them. Saying "when halak is in net, we win more often" is alot like this:

1.) Halak is in net
2.) ?????
3.) More wins!!! Yay!

Here's another example of correlation going wrong. Water freezes as the atmospheric temperature approaches 0. Mercury in a thermometer shrinks as the atmospheric temperature approaches 0. Therefore, water freezes because mercury in a thermometer shrinks.

The two are intimately linked, yet the role that "mercury shrinking" plays in water freezing is not established, and therefore, this argument is ridiculous.

Do you see what I'm saying? You can't take a function of a team(winning or losing) and attribute it to something as superficial as halak playing or not. A win loss stat does not take into account what role Halak played in that, only that he was there.

The stats don't lie(how could a number lie about what it is, itself?), but what they actually say is very easily misinterpreted. They only say in a very superficial way "what" happened, and not "how" it happened. Furthermore, the stats that you're most probably using are in no way a sophisticated enough metric to rely on alone.
There's no #2... When Halak is in nets (this season at least) we win more games that when Price is in nets... it's a FACT.

Price : 37 Games Started, 13 wins... Halak : 35 Games Started, 23 wins...

Turn it any way you want, look for whatever reason or explanation you want... that won't change anything, end result is when Halak is in nets we win more games. Doesnt matter if he gets 5 or 50 shots per, end result is all that matters...

and your Mercury/Water example, BS... we may not win BECAUSE of Halak... but we do win WITH him...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Crystal Met

**** the world

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 06:41 AM
linp

I still can't believe what our PP coach told the players to do. There was no one-timer from the point man. We kept passing the puck around. With or without MAB, we should fire more often from the point and go for the tip-in, deflection or rebound. Markov didn't play well during the PP.

I am impressed with Spacek. He played much better than Hamrlik. SK had more jump than AK. Gill vs Kessel is a big miss-match in speed. I still like our 4th line. It was solid all around. Moore played like he didn't want to beat his former team. Gomez was not skating like he usually does. Plekanec's line didn't create any offensive punch. Overall, the defense still played solid apart from the 2nd goal when Gorges pinched in.

We didn't suffer any injury. That is one positive thing coming out from the game.

Last edited by linp: 03-21-2010 at 06:52 AM.
linp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Checked out the Leafs fan page on Facebook and got a good laugh. Smug Leafs fan posted "eat it froggies" after their win last night.

I, honestly, cannot wait to eat it. Nachos seem to taste better during the playoffs.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:40 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
can we keep the goalie talk in the goalie threads, and leave the PGT to talk about the game?
Please do not use logic on unrational Habs fans !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Bipolar Hab fans. I wish you could all go cheer for a different team.
This, or at least another board !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Met View Post
**** the world
Meh !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokofievian View Post
Oh dear jesus, the win-loss argument, again? I am going to have to spell out exactly why this is a terrible argument to make.
I'm going to have to spell out exactly why the rest of your post failed from the get-go. The win-loss "argument", in and of itself, might not be convincing. You left out, however, the fact that the measurably performance metrics also still put Halak comfortably ahead of Price. Thus, the difference in win-loss shouldn't be too hard to understand, when coupled with goal support, etc.

More goals + fewer goals against = more wins. More wins = higher position in standings. I wouldn't have thought those simple formulae could escape you, but here we are.

And for the record, I thought Halak played a pretty decent game last night. 31 saves on 33, lots of big stops to keep it close/tied. Out-shot in all 4 periods, but took it to a shootout. Got beaten by two great moves in the shootout, while two of the Habs shooters failed to even challenge Gustavsson. It happens sometimes. It's still a point, at least. The powerplay was painful to watch at some points, though, as others have pointed out. That was frustrating, as the Habs played a very disciplined game, and should have capitalized on a few of those PP chances and eliminated the very notion of overtime/shootout.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:10 AM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
There's no #2... When Halak is in nets (this season at least) we win more games that when Price is in nets... it's a FACT.

Price : 37 Games Started, 13 wins... Halak : 35 Games Started, 23 wins...

Turn it any way you want, look for whatever reason or explanation you want... that won't change anything, end result is when Halak is in nets we win more games. Doesnt matter if he gets 5 or 50 shots per, end result is all that matters...

and your Mercury/Water example, BS... we may not win BECAUSE of Halak... but we do win WITH him...
Totally, went right over your head, doesn't surprise me.

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:11 AM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm going to have to spell out exactly why the rest of your post failed from the get-go. The win-loss "argument", in and of itself, might not be convincing. You left out, however, the fact that the measurably performance metrics also still put Halak comfortably ahead of Price. Thus, the difference in win-loss shouldn't be too hard to understand, when coupled with goal support, etc.

More goals + fewer goals against = more wins. More wins = higher position in standings. I wouldn't have thought those simple formulae could escape you, but here we are.
New Jersey lost 1-0....Brodeaur's fault??

Old
03-21-2010, 09:13 AM
willalong

Quote:

Not a "simple" formula, but, a "simpletons" formula.

Old
03-21-2010, 09:34 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

I'm hardly "hating" on them, I'm just saying a(nother) hot stretch when the team is all but out of it isn't enough to sell me on this supposed brilliant future Burke has assembled. Time will tell.

Difference being of course and a rather small and inconsequential one at that. Is that this team is full of youngsters who aren't supposed to be doing it, but what can't be denied is that they've been playing some pretty good hockey.

The Habs didn't exactly lay down and give the Leafs this game as some of the fans have suggested, it's that for most of the night the Leafs won the races and the battles along the boards. Halak was great in net as usual but this time you guys weren't shooting against Triple F, you were shooting against a young man who's game is finally rounding into form after all the "heartache" he's had to overcome. a goaltender who has finally found the confidence to realize he can not only play in the National league but play well in it.

The last time you guys played us, the threat of Kessel was backed up by Stajan, Hagman and Blake. Kulemin hadn't yet figured out that he is as strong as practically any player in the league and not to make to fine a point, but the threat of Dion. No one had to defense that when they played the Leafs early on.

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
Not a "simple" formula, but, a "simpletons" formula.
Quote:
New Jersey lost 1-0....Brodeaur's fault??
Quote:
Totally, went right over your head, doesn't surprise me.
Seriously? Nothing but peanut gallery commentary AND misspelling the name of one of the most famous goalies ever, and you expect to be taken seriously? Awesome. Awesomesauce, even.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Have to say I watched the game and don't see it like many on this thread. I thought the game had good pace and energy, was pretty entertaining, and fairly even (inside and outside the net) despite our side getting edged out by the home team on a shootout.

Anyone who looks at the standing and thinks that some games are automatic or should be won handily just doesn't believe in parity.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:13 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Seriously? Nothing but peanut gallery commentary AND misspelling the name of one of the most famous goalies ever, and you expect to be taken seriously? Awesome. Awesomesauce, even.
Spot on

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Relax
were 6-1-1 since the break.
Look at all the other teams battling with the habs. They have all dropped huge crucial games and but up some bad efforts.
It was bound to happen, and especially against Toronto.
We are in a great position right now to make the PO, so yall enjoy your sunday, and i guarantee they will be flying tomorrow night at the BC.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Magic33

Really didn't think it was a terrible game. Not to mention that the leafs have been playing well and we had won 6 in a row. It was obvious we were going to lose soon. I rather we lose to the Leafs instead of a playoff team like the sens (just because of the race for points). Thought Halak was solid again and I would continue to use him the rest of the way. Can't wait to get Cammy (and MAB) back asap!

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote