HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#72: Sharks @ Oilers, 5:00PM, CSNCA

Old
03-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
Uhhhh I would take the Yankees and their "underachieving WS titles" than the Sharks and their zero finals appearances...
That wasn't the question at hand though. I was just arguing that they aren't the biggest chokers in sports history.

Of course you take a championship, but the Yankees play in a sport where they can essentially buy them

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:33 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilk View Post
The post-game reactions on TSN were at least somewhat satisfying to hear the players know they are terrible.

Blake especially noted how bad they are in the defensive end...
Yea, well I play hockey, and Im terrible, and I mean really terrible, but at least I show up and try. Thats a hell of alot more then the Sharks right now

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
5H4RK5

After tonights dominating performance by the Oilers, I feel that the Sharks are on there way to something special. If we can at least win 1 more game this season or at least reach 100 pts we are a contender no doubt.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:08 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
I was watching Sharks Postgame live after this game and something really struck me, which is kind of what I've been saying a lot in the last year. When Thornton turned that puck over, he skated to the bench nonchalantly almost like he didn't care. Perhaps there was something more than that, but that is inexcusable. If one of your leaders does something like that, what does that say for the team. What does it say to a team that lacks any heart and passion when your leader just "gives up" the play. I lost a ton of respect for Thornton tonight. Under that classy nice guy might be a fraud showing his true colors. Maybe Boston was right. Maybe they did have a point when they got rid of Thornton, because I think he has worn out his welcome here in San Jose.

I know sports really boil down to the whole "what have you done for me lately" attitude, but this was just really really crappy. It's one thing for a team to lose and be in a slump. Who knows, maybe it's a good thing that the Sharks might get this out of the system sooner rather than later. However, this is more than a slump. This is a team that looks tired, sloppy, and void of any effort or heart. This is a team who has a history of being frauds, much like Thornton himself. I expect another disappointing playoffs.

I was asked by someone at the beginning of this thread to allow them to have hope and then got a nice to end it. I really have to ask this question because I am a cynic and a pessimisst after these years of utter disappointment. How can one have hope with a team that has a history of disappointments and is currently going out there are just not playing good Hockey. The defense sucks, the "big" line has been non existent almost since they won the gold medal, and it seems like the only guy doing hard work out there is a guy that get's consistently criticized for some strange reason, Clowe. Ok, that last statement is wrong since I like Murray and Nichol, but really that's it. How can I watch this team and say "Don't worry, everything is going to be OK?" I'm honestly not sure if I can.

Maybe I should take a step back. I mean there are bigger issues in the world than a hockey team, and even in the NHL, there are teams that would never sniff the playoffs, like the Islanders, or Oilers. I just wonder what is better: Being in the playoffs only to be eliminated and almost expect it in the first round, or not being in a playoffs, working through the draft, getting younger and pretty much being eliminated on the first week of the season with the hopes of one day making it to the postseason?

The second option doesn't seem so bad does it? I mean look at Phoenix, who I'm officially on the bandwagon as of tonight. They are a feel good story, and they deserve the postseason more than the Sharks do. Dave Tippit is a no doubt about it coach of the year.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:09 AM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
I was watching Sharks Postgame live after this game and something really struck me, which is kind of what I've been saying a lot in the last year. When Thornton turned that puck over, he skated to the bench nonchalantly almost like he didn't care. Perhaps there was something more than that, but that is inexcusable. If one of your leaders does something like that, what does that say for the team. What does it say to a team that lacks any heart and passion when your leader just "gives up" the play. I lost a ton of respect for Thornton tonight. Under that classy nice guy might be a fraud showing his true colors. Maybe Boston was right. Maybe they did have a point when they got rid of Thornton, because I think he has worn out his welcome here in San Jose.

I know sports really boil down to the whole "what have you done for me lately" attitude, but this was just really really crappy. It's one thing for a team to lose and be in a slump. Who knows, maybe it's a good thing that the Sharks might get this out of the system sooner rather than later. However, this is more than a slump. This is a team that looks tired, sloppy, and void of any effort or heart. This is a team who has a history of being frauds, much like Thornton himself. I expect another disappointing playoffs.

I was asked by someone at the beginning of this thread to allow them to have hope and then got a nice to end it. I really have to ask this question because I am a cynic and a pessimisst after these years of utter disappointment. How can one have hope with a team that has a history of disappointments and is currently going out there are just not playing good Hockey. The defense sucks, the "big" line has been non existent almost since they won the gold medal, and it seems like the only guy doing hard work out there is a guy that get's consistently criticized for some strange reason, Clowe. Ok, that last statement is wrong since I like Murray and Nichol, but really that's it. How can I watch this team and say "Don't worry, everything is going to be OK?" I'm honestly not sure if I can.

Maybe I should take a step back. I mean there are bigger issues in the world than a hockey team, and even in the NHL, there are teams that would never sniff the playoffs, like the Islanders, or Oilers. I just wonder what is better: Being in the playoffs only to be eliminated and almost expect it in the first round, or not being in a playoffs, working through the draft, getting younger and pretty much being eliminated on the first week of the season with the hopes of one day making it to the postseason?

The second option doesn't seem so bad does it? I mean look at Phoenix, who I'm officially on the bandwagon as of tonight. They are a feel good story, and they deserve the postseason more than the Sharks do. Dave Tippit is a no doubt about it coach of the year.

Ok, I'll shut up now.
This is a great post.

Thornton is a great player, at least in the regular season, but every once in a while we get a glimpse of why he hasn't been able to lead this team anywhere after that. I love watching him play when he's "on", but we need a leader with more fire. Yeah, we see Angry Joe every once in a blue moon, but that's just not enough. I know he's not the captain, but he is still expected to be a major leader as long as that A is on his uni. I might be ready to see Joe out of here if he doesn't show more leadership this post-season. I love guys like Nichol. Even though he doesn't put up tons of points, he busts his ass each and every shift and puts it all on the line. He may very well be my favorite current Shark.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Lebanezer

I think there should be no gdt for next game and no posting directly related to the San Jose Sharks during the entire game. Why even bother discussing a team that is playing this badly?

Just a thought.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:50 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
This is a great post.

Thornton is a great player, at least in the regular season, but every once in a while we get a glimpse of why he hasn't been able to lead this team anywhere after that. I love watching him play when he's "on", but we need a leader with more fire. Yeah, we see Angry Joe every once in a blue moon, but that's just not enough. I know he's not the captain, but he is still expected to be a major leader as long as that A is on his uni. I might be ready to see Joe out of here if he doesn't show more leadership this post-season. I love guys like Nichol. Even though he doesn't put up tons of points, he busts his ass each and every shift and puts it all on the line. He may very well be my favorite current Shark.
It's funny, I rewound and paused the game right as Joe turns the puck over and doesn't even look back at it on his way to the bench. I looked over at my wife and go WTF is Joe doing?!

I think I'm done with Joe. He need's to be traded. What a gutless puke.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:13 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Joe is turtling badly. Go back into your shell you wee whipper snapper!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:48 PM
OrrNumber4

Setoguchi needs to be benched. Thornton as well, but TMac understandably cannot do that. Setoguchi isn't at 100%; show him the back of your hand...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote