HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Please don't trade Andrew Cogliano

Old
03-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Zap Brannigan

vCash: 500
Please don't trade Andrew Cogliano

I make this topic as a plea to one Steve Tambellini

Please do not trade Cogliano. He is only just coming in to his own, if I have to watch him go wide on any Oiler defenseman in the next 20 years I will be very sad.

Zap Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Jmask83

I agree. I think that trade talk really got to him because since the trade deadline he's been pretty damn good. I think he sees all the young guys we have and the ones coming and he really wants to be a part of it.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

If they can find a way to get Nilsson, O'Sullivan and Comrie off the roster, then sure. If Cogliano, Gagner and Brule are our 3 midgets, we are in good shape.

I'd like to see Penner-Cogliano-Brule remain together as our second line next year.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:57 AM
nullterm

I'm hoping they wise up and stick with him as a top six winger instead of 3rd/4th line center. He could be deadly on the wing if he regained his confidence and shot.

When he's on, watching him streak from the Oilers blue line all the way to the other net is a thing of beauty.

Especially with Whitney on the team who has a great first pass.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:09 AM
SDig14

honestly I completely agree...I was browsing old videos and I saw cogs talking about the summer trying to deal with the trade rumours...then he went on to protest how much he wanted to stay with the oilers and be a part of the future here for a long time...and it made me feel like I did during the summer being upset I thought we had traded him...the intervie he talks about how he knows he can play on our top two lines and that he's willing and excited to play wing if he has to to contribute offensively...unless the deal is great I do not want to see him go

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I wouldn't really be sad to see him go if we get a good player back.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:16 AM
tru_gq

fully agree. he is the only player on our roster that give 110% very game... since smytty

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
If they can find a way to get Nilsson, O'Sullivan and Comrie off the roster, then sure. If Cogliano, Gagner and Brule are our 3 midgets, we are in good shape.

I'd like to see Penner-Cogliano-Brule remain together as our second line next year.
I count 4 midgets (your 3 + Eberle). And that's where I could see Cogs getting caught by the numbers game. I don't want him traded, but if they are looking to add some size and grit I could see Cogs being the one who gets traded.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Perfect_Drug

I get a horrible feeling we won't get what we need if we trade Cogs (Sorry, but Heatley was not what this team needed... aka a dude who didn't want to be here outside of contractual obligation). Another soft pure goalscorer who doesn't bring it when the going gets tough.

We might get a superior player, but not necessarily what this team NEEDS.

I think the perfect example of that is Vish. We traded away our dominant faceoff center/PKing/ Point man Center in Stoll, along with a Jason Smith Protege in Greene for Vish (who was the best player), but in hindsight, right now we could really use a dominant Faceoff man/Pk/2ndPP pointshot and Stay at home physical Dman, more than yet ANOTHER smooth skating outlet passing Dman.

Cogliano seems to fit the mould of our rebuild. Todd Marchant with hands is exactly what this team could use.

I might be in the dark with this one, but I would almost rather keep Cogs over Hemsky. I don't think Hemsky factors into our rebuild, and I assume he's gone once UFA hits. If Cogs were UFA tomorrow, I get a feeling he would want to stay, and was truly demoralized when he was traded.

I think the organization needs to treat Cogliano, like he is a VERY key member of this organization, and any success we will have NOW and in the future. They sure as hell aren't treating him like that, and it's showing with his play on ice.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Kosik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
I wouldn't really be sad to see him go if we get a good player back.
I dont see how hes gonna be get a good player in return after the season he just had trading him now will be the absolute lowest he will pretty much ever be. Id like see what he can do with a season on a scoreing line next year.

Kosik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:35 AM
awesomo
HARD!

i also think hes a pretty good player, just a bad year.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:05 AM
Boozers

Cogs on ur third line though? If you look at who's coming can someone slot him in the top 6 Honestly Brule has made the top 6 IMO. He is going to have to play centre for him to play in ur top 6

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosik View Post
I dont see how hes gonna be get a good player in return after the season he just had trading him now will be the absolute lowest he will pretty much ever be. Id like see what he can do with a season on a scoreing line next year.
Could get a Peter Mueller type return. Package him with a good young player and get a great young player back.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Seanzie888

My only problem with Cogs is not his style, its where he fits in our line up. Next year we have, potentially, 2 fresh young top six forwards—Hall/Seguin and Eberle—and Cogs already has trouble staying in our top six.

I agree that he has been miss-utilized in his young career but he doesn't beat out the majority of the players in our top six. Hemsky, Gagner, Penner, Brule, Eberle and the 1st rounder all supersede Cogs in the pecking order—until one of them falls off. And then there's Omark to consider.

Plus when MPS gets here Cogs' speed alone won't keep him in the top six. MPS has a speed game AND a power game. Unfortunately, despite how hard he tries, Cogs does not have the power game. Not only that but his face off abilities—or lack there of— make him useless as a top 6 center.

I love the guy, but I don't see him staying here.

Seanzie888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:52 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I'm only opposed to trading him because I feel his value isn't where it could be if he had top-6 minutes for a long time and the stats to back it up. I'd give him till the end of the year to make a point, and even potentially the first part of next year. That way you could maximize the value of the return you get for him.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

People I'd be open to trading Cogliano for...

Horton
Byfuglien
Stafforrd
Hartnell
Clowe

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:03 AM
Krut

I like Cogs, but where does he fit in in the long run? It's been proven that he's ineffective in a bottom six role, and I don't think he factors into the top six in the next few years. If
small wingers are what we are trying to get rid of, then cogs has to go.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:10 AM
Soundwave

Keep him, his point production will likely be higher next year ... so even if he's not in the long term plans, why would you deal him when his value is likely only to get higher?

Besides, it's not a given that Brule outplays him next year. We may have caught a break with Cogs having an off-year this season in being able to resign him for cheaper than what he normally would've got.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie888 View Post
My only problem with Cogs is not his style, its where he fits in our line up. Next year we have, potentially, 2 fresh young top six forwards—Hall/Seguin and Eberle—and Cogs already has trouble staying in our top six.

I agree that he has been miss-utilized in his young career but he doesn't beat out the majority of the players in our top six. Hemsky, Gagner, Penner, Brule, Eberle and the 1st rounder all supersede Cogs in the pecking order—until one of them falls off. And then there's Omark to consider.

Plus when MPS gets here Cogs' speed alone won't keep him in the top six. MPS has a speed game AND a power game. Unfortunately, despite how hard he tries, Cogs does not have the power game. Not only that but his face off abilities—or lack there of— make him useless as a top 6 center.

I love the guy, but I don't see him staying here.
Eberle should not be penciled into our top 6 yet. If he pushes someone out then so be it, but right now he should be playing 3rd or 4th line with sheltered minutes.

I actually bet Omark makes a bigger splahs next year then Eberle for the Oil. I think Eberle will be better long term, but Omark has been excelling in the top 2 non-nhl leagues in the World and is more game ready right now.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:53 AM
myteammytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
Eberle should not be penciled into our top 6 yet. If he pushes someone out then so be it, but right now he should be playing 3rd or 4th line with sheltered minutes.

I actually bet Omark makes a bigger splahs next year then Eberle for the Oil. I think Eberle will be better long term, but Omark has been excelling in the top 2 non-nhl leagues in the World and is more game ready right now.
what would you like to bet?

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Game 8

vCash: 50
To me he is one of the best if not the best smaller forward we have. Every second proposal on this site has him as a throw in for a trade. I think he is a core member of the team as well. You can always find a place for guys with heart, tallent, and speed in your lineup......

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Heavy Dee

Quinn almost ruined this kid this year

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:32 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I would trade him this summer if it adressed some of our needs.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:32 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
what would you like to bet?
I am up for that bet as well

people are basing Omark's possible out put based on little actual physical viewing of him.

Omark's play is more is more suited to the European style of play. There are biger issues about Omark and I am waiting to see who is on the Swedish World Championship team in a few weeks. Unlike the Canadian team, Swedish team will not release the names or comment on the players who turn down invites to the team. If Omark is not on the team, I bellieve they are trying to limit his visability at a certain level of play.

As for Cogs, as I stated before, for Cogs to grow he needs to morph into a Todd Marchant type of player and define his nitch. But, with the turnover that is about to happen to make room for prospects like Eberle, Petry(if he comes out of Uni) and whomever the oilers get in the draft. There is also now a slim chance that MPS might come over in the fall for a looksie.

It will come down to the numbers game. When you look at a healthy line up for the oilers, they have too many bodies and too few places.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

There's a nice article about Cogliano in the Journal this morning:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...152/story.html

"We've talked a lot, he and I, about his game in general," said Oilers associate coach Tom Renney. "And what we've come to grips on is he wants to be a real sound two-way player and be responsible defensively. And when the opportunities present themselves from that approach, he'll make the best of them with his speed and intelligence and willingness to attack."

"It's Andrew's play away from the puck, quite frankly," Renney said..."Anybody who's coaching this kid has a responsibility to make him the best he can be, not bury him."

Maybe he'll get a fair shot from this point on.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote