HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Please don't trade Andrew Cogliano

Old
03-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Monumentally shocking how the guy is looking good now that he is getting good linemates on a regular basis, top 6 minutes and some pp time. Some people have been saying this for two years. Give the guy his top 6 shot before ragging on him like half the forums did for so long.

The biggest stumbling block to Coglianos development? Shawn Horcoff. A guy eating up tons of ice time, good linemates and pp time that the coaches stubbornly stuck with even though he totally did not deserve to be a top 2 line centre.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:47 AM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
I make this topic as a plea to one Steve Tambellini

Please do not trade Cogliano. He is only just coming in to his own, if I have to watch him go wide on any Oiler defenseman in the next 20 years I will be very sad.
I've never once jumped off the bandwagon. I've felt this way the whole time about this player. This is a knee jerk reaction fan base though.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDman View Post
I would trade him this summer if it adressed some of our needs.
Thats the problem. We need everything!!!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:55 AM
paperbagOilfan

Definitely one of my favourite Oilers. He will have to fight alot harder and produce double his output right now if he wants to be on the team for the next 3-5 years. On our team this year he should've gotten alot more top six minutes... at center or winger. they pretty much stunted his growth this year playing him with storts and moreau. too little too late, from the coaches and cogs

paperbagOilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Big Dogge*

I know that this board seems to dislike any player under 6'

Interested in seeing and/or hearing the reaction if/when we have Gagner, Eberle, Brule and Cogliano all in the top 9.

All of these players are at least 5'10" and around 180 lbs. It's not like they're 5'6" and 160 lbs and all of them still have the time and room to grow and pack on the muscle.

Last edited by Big Dogge*: 03-21-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
I dont know why everyone keeps on *****ing about Cogliano's size...he NEVER gets knocked off the puck because of his size, he's actually very strong on the puck, in the corners, and more than a few times I've seen him knock over guys much bigger than him, and I've seen bigger guys bouncing off of Cogliano when they're trying to hit him...the kids got game...always goes 110 percent...he's got speed to burn...and he's got sick hands(not so much this year though) the whole team sucks this year, give him another 2 years I say he'll easily be a 50 pt+ player in 2 years time...if not what do we lose? It's not like we can get a great return for him now...plus we can resign him for cheap at the end of this season....lets just get rid of the players who dont even try to show up (O'Sullivan, Nilsson), there's plenty of room for Cogs...play him on the 2nd line at times...and sometimes move him to third..depending on injuries, or line chemistry...just give the kid some Poweplay time, at least one a game....I say if he gets 15 minutes plus a game next year he'll net 25, 60 points no problem..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:18 AM
copperandblue897

I hope he stays around. He had a bad year. But he is still very young.

Need to get rid of Nilsson, Pisani, O'Sullivan, and Comrie.

Then having Brule, Gagner, Cogliano, and Eberle in the future will not be a problem. At least we won't have 2 and half lines of midgets. Replace the four above with some size and we are much better off.

copperandblue897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

I would put Cogs on a line with Lander and Jones in the future to be our checking line.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
If they can find a way to get Nilsson, O'Sullivan and Comrie off the roster, then sure. If Cogliano, Gagner and Brule are our 3 midgets, we are in good shape.

I'd like to see Penner-Cogliano-Brule remain together as our second line next year.
This I agree with completely. They have been playing great together down the stretch as the teams so called first line, getting the tough match-ups as well.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I've been looking a place to post this, Cogliano reminds me of Russ Courtnall lite. He doesn't quite have the same offensive game as Courtnall, but they are similar players.

And I've flip flopped on this all season, however I really like what Cogliano is showing right now.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:45 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
This I agree with completely. They have been playing great together down the stretch as the teams so called first line, getting the tough match-ups as well.
I too agree with this. That line has looked great. Good combo of speed, grit, size and checking.

Like a previous poster mentioned, we need to get rid of the dead weight. (Pisani, comrie Jaques, stone should all not be re-signed trade buy out of demote Moreau o'sully and Nilson.)
New additions most likely Seguin/Hall Eberle (Omark)

Hall Gagner Hemsky
Penner Cogliano Brule
Jones Horcoff Stortini
Omark Pouliot Eberle

Could be fun to watch

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I too agree with this. That line has looked great. Good combo of speed, grit, size and checking.

Like a previous poster mentioned, we need to get rid of the dead weight. (Pisani, comrie Jaques, stone should all not be re-signed trade buy out of demote Moreau o'sully and Nilson.)
New additions most likely Seguin/Hall Eberle (Omark)

Hall Gagner Hemsky
Penner Cogliano Brule
Jones Horcoff Stortini
Omark Pouliot Eberle

Could be fun to watch
I don't mind those lines, but I don't see Pouliot on this team next season.

Old
03-21-2010, 12:50 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I don't mind those lines, but I don't see Pouliot on this team next season.
Really? I don't know who bumps him out of the fourth line center position? He has played pretty decent since returning from injury. IMO really impoved him 2-way game.

Old
03-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Ringo13

How about in 2 years, Penner Brule Cogliano as our third line!!!! We just need another center.

Hall Gagner Hemsky
MPS XXXXX Eberle
Penner Brule Cogliano
Stortini Horcoff Jones

If they all pan out, could be deadly.

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Really? I don't know who bumps him out of the fourth line center position? He has played pretty decent since returning from injury. IMO really impoved him 2-way game.
He doesn't bring anything for me, that you can't find in a big player through free agency. It's time for the team to let go of the dream, and let Pouliot move on.

Old
03-21-2010, 01:02 PM
spot

Quote:
He doesn't bring anything for me, that you can't find in a big player through free agency. It's time for the team to let go of the dream, and let Pouliot move on.
True enough, I would be all for signing a Malhotra, Armstrong type player instead of Poo poo however Pouliot comes alot cheaper. Maybe we try to insert Omara, Lander or add an enforcer "kip Brennan" comes to mind.

Old
03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Asher

Quote:
It's going to be an interesting offseason with MAP being an RFA. My guess is that he either signs a 2 way contract or is let go/traded. If he does sign a 2 way contract, then they keep him primarily to help the AHL team. And if he gets plucked off waivers when they try to send him down, so be it.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo13 View Post
How about in 2 years, Penner Brule Cogliano as our third line!!!! We just need another center.

Hall Gagner Hemsky
MPS XXXXX Eberle
Penner Brule Cogliano
Stortini Horcoff Jones

If they all pan out, could be deadly.
Sean Courtier?

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Andrew B

A western conference team cannot survive with over 3 Midgets in its top 9.

Brule largely made Cogliano expendable, hate to say it.

I feel that his ice time now is largely a showcase so that we can get better value for him at the draft, where IMO we will likely trade him to upgrade that 31st pick into 15 and below.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:15 PM
DousedInOil

A team that prides itself in speed doesn't trade away the fastest player in the NHL...

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the

Cogliano has been our ironman. He hasn't missed a game in his entire career! That shows a lot of durability.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Big Dogge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
A western conference team cannot survive with over 3 Midgets in its top 9.
You're going to have to help me out here.

I was going over the roster looking for these midgets in our top 9 and I seem to come up empty in my attempts to locate them.

Sam Gagner --- 5'10" --- 191 lbs
Andrew Cogliano --- 5'10" --- 185 lbs
Gilbert Brule --- 5'10" --- 175 lbs (Doesn't matter. He plays like 6'2" 200 lbs.)
Jordan Eberle --- 5'10" --- 175 lbs

So please help me out. Actually, in all reality.. all 4 players are a decent enough size surrounded by the other bigger players we have on our roster.

There is little to no difference between 6' and 5'10".

Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
So then....whats the difference? Sign a ufa and sign MAP. Depth is not a bad thing. Kid has not played bad.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
If they can find a way to get Nilsson, O'Sullivan and Comrie off the roster, then sure. If Cogliano, Gagner and Brule are our 3 midgets, we are in good shape.

I'd like to see Penner-Cogliano-Brule remain together as our second line next year.
I was thinking the same thing. Cogs works well with big Penner. They both compliment one another well. Where Penner lacks in speed, Cogs is there. Where Cogs and Brule lack in size, Penner is there. The chemistry thats starting to form between the trio is a good sign.

Not sure what Quinn is doing with Gags though.. playing him with Minard and Stortini is just weird.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:33 PM
RowdyPfeifer

Quote:

Agreed

Either trade the two under contract next season or if unable to, their age makes them attractive buyout options:

ROBERT NILSSON BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $-83,333
2011-2012: $416,667

PATRICK O'SULLIVAN BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $935,417
2011-2012: $397,917

Comrie is UFA so he is off the books regardless

RowdyPfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote