HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3-21-10: Preds @ Blues - "I guess thats why they call it the Blues" Edition

Old
03-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Absolutely not. I think it showed a lot today...we had no one with size up the middle and I think Backes and Tkachuk took advantage of that a lot...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:33 PM
OpenWheel

Of course not, why ask such a silly queston. Arnott has been one of our better players this season, as always. Of course he has flaws, every player has some flaws on our team. We clearly suffer when Arnott is injured.

Sounds like the Blues tried to thug it up a bit. Glad we overcame it. I am amazed that Rinne started, I expected Ellis. I thought Trotz was just not telling Ellis too early so as to avoid that meltdown we sometimes see when Ellis has time to think about it. I hope Rinne doesn't end up exhausted when we arrive in the playoffs. I would play Ellis off and on, but I'm not Trotz. I think goalies confuse him, lol.

Way to go Preds. Big win! (So sweet to put a big hurt on the Blues remaining chances as well) The way I see it we are still in seventh, (edit, I counted wrong, in sixth, by ppg) going by points per game played, but now we are right on the heels of 5! Whoot!

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-21-2010 at 10:40 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
IngloriusBuzzards

That monster save by Rinne at the end of the 2nd period cannot be overlooked - If you watched the game, you know what I'm talking about.

That is the 2nd game in a row that I've seen him literally take the game back from the brink... Dude is from another planet right now.

IngloriusBuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:50 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Don't think we're better without Arnott. Absolutely not. Anyone have stats on our record without him?

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Colorado at La tomorrow!
long as its not a 3 point game!

we are 7 points down one less game and only 9 games to go.
I dont think we will get home ice
they will get 2 wins in 10 games come on now...

The Sharks are getting worse not better. I will be shocked if they win 1 game. The Oilers are #30 by far and they got worked by them tonight. If the Preds keep the hammer down it wouldn't shock me if they caught them. Either way you will only get 2 home games in rd 1. At least if the Preds get games 3 and 4 they can win the series at home.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
The Sharks are getting worse not better. I will be shocked if they win 1 game. The Oilers are #30 by far and they got worked by them tonight. If the Preds keep the hammer down it wouldn't shock me if they caught them. Either way you will only get 2 home games in rd 1. At least if the Preds get games 3 and 4 they can win the series at home.
playing not to get hurt before the playoffs
playing for contracts

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:36 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
playing not to get hurt before the playoffs
playing for contracts
I agree with the Oilers playing for contracts/roster spots, but there is no way the Sharks are still on cruise control/injury avoidance mode now that they are 6 games into a losing streak. If so they have the stupidest coach in history, not to mention zero self respect or pride.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
lol dude bad streaks happen.. we have had our share of them as well they are still one of the best teams in the nhl... of top teams the one si dont want to face are sharks and Van ..
u think they will end up on a 15 game losing streak?

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
You and me both.

Perron was a dirtbag for that hit at the end. Screw em. What can I say we beat those *****es
What do you expect? No shock from a punk who labelled as "troubled" going into his draft year.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:50 AM
goalscorer

I remember someone saying, "great teams find a way to win." Thats what we are doing as of late. Getting contributions offensively from our new guns along with the guys getting paid to score. Getting solid defense, even without Weber and Grebs recently. Trotz putting different players together at the right times. Our boys are simply finding ways to win games and get points. Franson scoring the GW in a game were Mason stood on his head. Scoring two in under two minutes to take a W from the Booos. Could we now have the pieces, chemistry and system to be labeled a cup contender?

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 06:44 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
Could we now have the pieces, chemistry and system to be labeled a cup contender?
SHHhhhh Let's sneak up on the competition without any label.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:11 AM
WalkmanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
SHHhhhh Let's sneak up on the competition without any label.
I don't want to sound like a complete Homer LoL, but we are really underrated by other teams ok we haven't won a playoff series and ok we haven't won a road playoff game, But hey, it will happen one day and it will be this season, because this team has the heart to do it

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
WartracePred

Any word on the injuries to Ward and Arnott?

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

There is so much for me to say after yesterday's game!

I'll start by saying this: I was bargaining with God in my mind saying that if we won last night, I'd be okay with losing the next one. I didn't drive nearly 6 hours to first-handedly witness a loss! So if we lose the next one, you guys can blame me.

I just have to say that on top of the really annoying goal horn, and the constant god-awful chant ("let's go Bluuuuuues"), their game programs are a joke. When I go to away games I like to get a program as a souvenir so I asked my friend to go get me one while she was going to the bathroom. It cost a dollar and this is what I got:

Yep. One piece of yellow paper. I think we should really consider ourselves lucky for getting a full sized color program for FREE!

Also, the Blues don't have a goal song. I know not every NHL team does but their celebration for a goal was so short, it was the horn with a bunch of cheering for about 10 seconds and then back to play. I love having a song (even if I'm sick of it) that everyone sings along, and after that we have the "hey! you suck" thing and THEN we still call out the opposing goaltender's name and tell him he sucks and it's all his fault. I mean talk about a celebration of a goal.

As for the fans, they were really very nice to us (especially as opposed to the d-bags I met in Columbus on NYE). A couple people said they hoped we won just because we drove for the game, they wished us safe travels back, congratulated us on the win, etc. I have to commend their fans (or at least the ones around us) for being so cordial, both before and after the game.

Now, as for the game --

SLake, you were right! I was very surprised to see Pekka in net, but at the end of the game I was very glad for it! Peks is doing phenomenal right now and really, a back-to-back game should not hinder that. As the saying goes, don't fix what ain't broke, and until Pekka falters, I say keep him in net, especially after seeing how he handled a back-to-back. I mean, check out the stats you posted! Also, you were right again, according to NHLInsider's twitter, he got the first start of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
After earning 3rd Star of the Week honors last week, Pekka has followed it up with the following stat line:

4-0-0, 1.22 GAA, .957 SV%, and 2 SO

If he is not 1st star this week, there is something seriously wrong...
The boys were looking sort of sorry in the first period. They had so few shots on goal, it was like the guys weren't even trying. I believe the first period was when Suter (and maybe Bouillon?) hobbled off the ice, we were so afraid that they were both injured so it was really great to see them back on the ice later (especially Suter... that one would have really hurt us right now). Going into the first intermission being down a goal and them still being on a continued power play made for a nerve-wracking 17 minutes. Really, I hate carry-over power plays in general because when they are against us, it's like the suspension is held out even longer because I like to go ahead and kill it off. When it's for us, our momentum is killed when we have to stop in between and then start over again getting possession and setting it up and everything. Oh well, can't change it, and we did kill that one off. Speaking of, did we kill off another 5 on 3 last night, or am I just remembering Saturday's game?

Anyway, I was so proud to be there to see Boyd's first (and second!) goal as a Predator! He really shone brightly during this game. When the Blues scored their second goal and then it went under review, I was like "damn, now we're going to have to hear them cheer again" because I knew it was a good goal. And they have every right to cheer, but it made me all the more depressed/nervous to be in the midst of a bunch of Blues' fans and hear them roaring and jumping around us while we were losing.

After we got the go-ahead goal (less than a minute after our tying goal ), my friends and I were screaming "GO, CLOCK, GO!!" hahah. I think it worked!

After walking away with a regulation win (though I should say steal), the drive home was much more pleasant. We decided to leave last night because everyone had work today and we didn't want to spend the money for a hotel. The game was over around 7:45pm but traffic getting out of the city took about 45 more minutes so we ended up getting back home to our comfy beds around 1:30am this morning. Totally worth it though!

By the way, we had our own little Cell Block up in the 300s. I know some other Predator fans went but they started all the cheers like "Let's go Predators!" and shouting Mason's name with the "you suck" and "it's all your fault." It was pretty hilarious to see them representing, I wanted to join in but also wanted to be respectful of all the Blues' fans around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngloriusBuzzards View Post
That monster save by Rinne at the end of the 2nd period cannot be overlooked - If you watched the game, you know what I'm talking about.

That is the 2nd game in a row that I've seen him literally take the game back from the brink... Dude is from another planet right now.
Dude's my hero. I'm telling you, I've always been a Pekka fan but there's nothing better than wearing the jersey of a guy who is doing so freaking amazing at a time like this, especially given the fact that he got so much flack earlier in the season from Preds fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
this team is playing to patiently. We cant wait until the last 5 minutes to turn it on.
It's funny that you posted this before the game because it's exactly what happened! We tied it up somewhere in the 3 minute mark and won it with 2:46 left on the clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Everything about the Blues is annoying. I hate their "let's go bluuues" chant.
Tell me about it! I was nearly brainwashed by the end of the game because I found myself singing along with "Let's go Bluuuuues." Scary stuff. I guess since their name doesn't have 2 or 3 syllables, they can't do the typical "let's go, da-da (or da-da-da)" but they did it so damn often, my goodness!

Okay, I've typed a novel but as SLake always says, it's just another good day to be a Predators fan! And I'm 3 for 3 in going to away games and seeing the home boys win!!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:19 PM
ChicagoBlues

Blues fan here! I am a Preds fan too, though!!

Lots of hockey fans around the league predicted that your team would miss the playoffs, me included, and just wanna say congratulations! It will be hard for Calgary to catch you.

And don't worry, that "annoying" chant ruminating in your brain will go away soon.

Good luck guys!!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:25 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Blues fan here! I am a Preds fan too, though!!

Lots of hockey fans around the league predicted that your team would miss the playoffs, me included, and just wanna say congratulations! It will be hard for Calgary to catch you.

And don't worry, that "annoying" chant ruminating in your brain will go away soon.

Good luck guys!!
Example of the nice Blues fans! Thanks a lot man, it means a lot to me personally when fans from other teams come over and say nice things to us.

If your team doesn't make the playoffs, we need all the support we can get!

Old
03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
jstreet
The downward spiral

vCash: 50
Kariya was so close to having 2 goals himself, I still miss him sometimes.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Soundgarden

Nice to read Sabretooth, I'm glad to know that the fans treated you nice, I haven't been to a game at Scottrade, but I should try going sometime.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
Kariya was so close to having 2 goals himself, I still miss him sometimes.
no comment

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:10 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
yeah kariya used to miss those same open net while here

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Biggun35
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
yeah kariya used to miss those same open net while here
Yeah, he only averaged a point a game while he was in Nashville.

Biggun35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
PredsChik

Just got home a little bit ago. We stopped for gas in Mt. Vernon yesterday and discovered a flat tire in our newly balanced and rotated tires. Fix-a-flat is the greatest invention EVER. We shouldn't have, but we tempted fate and drove about 100 miles on it when Walmart told us it would be a 3 hour wait... meaning we would be back on the road after the game had started. No thank you, I wasn't missing that game if I had to walk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Cheap, cheap play by Perron at the end driving Boyd's head into the ice from behind after the buzzer...good to see Hamhuis and others take exception and I hope Perron really enjoys his summer...cause it's gonna be a long one...
Parron got an earful from me from behind that bench. every time he skated by. Nobody slashes and gets away with it. What he did to Boyd just makes me hate him worse though since we didn't have a good look at the scrum after the buzzer. Officially a d-bag in my book and is now on my list.

That game was insanely epic and apparently I was on tv quite a bit. *sigh*

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun35 View Post
And that changes the fact that he used to miss shots like that all of the time how? He did great for the Preds in the playoffs too didn't he?

Can't say that I miss him a bit, I would much rather watch the teams we've had since he left.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:48 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
Just got home a little bit ago. We stopped for gas in Mt. Vernon yesterday and discovered a flat tire in our newly balanced and rotated tires. Fix-a-flat is the greatest invention EVER. We shouldn't have, but we tempted fate and drove about 100 miles on it when Walmart told us it would be a 3 hour wait... meaning we would be back on the road after the game had started. No thank you, I wasn't missing that game if I had to walk!
Wow! I'm so glad you were able to make it to the game! I haven't had a flat tire yet (only been driving 5 years) but knock on wood I don't ever have to deal with that. Your car is alright, I assume? The game was definitely worth your driving on a flat though, pulling through with that win in less than 4 minutes nearly gave me grey hairs!

Old
03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun35 View Post
Thank goodness for those stats-padding games against the BJs, Blackhawks, and Blues back in those days.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote