HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#72: Thrashers @ Flyers - March 21, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Let's all be honest with our selves this team isn't/wasn't going anywhere with Bouch or Leighton. It's questionable they could go anywhere with Emery. I don't know what it's about this team but even with all the talent on paper they are maddeningly inconsistent defensively and even more so offensively. The way this team has performed over the past 72 games I don't see how they could possibly have a deep playoff run let alone a Cup win short of Vezina winning level goal tending.
If they play like they did to start off the year or like they did before the break then they can beat anybody. If they play like they are now or like they did during December then they're not going anywhere. It's as simple as that. I'm just waiting to see which team shows up during the playoffs.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
No offense, but you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that he's a backup. That's what he is. He's bound to let in a bad goal every once in a while. He did perfectly fine the two games before this and was a huge part of our last win in Dallas. I can forgive this game considering that if he doesn't let the third goal in then I have no problem with his performance.

Like I've said so many times now, I can see blaming a goal or two on him, but it's insane to blame the entire game on him.
Dude, I've said like 12 times that I think he's not even an NHL-caliber goalie. And it's something I've been saying all year long

And I didn't blame the entire game on him, it's just he's the focus of discussion.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:24 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Howard is good, granted, but he's also a rookie. It's always hard to tell how rookies will do in the playoffs.

That's a perfectly fine reason to believe that they're a tough eight seed, but like I said pretty much every playoff team in the west is a tough matchup. There's no favorable teams really.

I just don't have as much faith in the Red Wings as other do is all.
Howard might be a rookie, but he spent four seasons in the AHL honing his craft. He's not a rookie in the sense of "Oh my God, I'm playing in the NHL." He's a bit older and there's a maturity factor there. He's going to be perfectly fine.

Quote:
This game reminds me of the time Leighton lost 1-0 to the Oilers and a bunch of us were pointing out that it was a weak goal. Then there was a bunch of bickering about how Leighton shouldn't be being talked about because the team in front of him sucked then too. It's the same thing here. Boucher let in one weak goal, but the entire team in front of him sucked as well.

Boosh played badly, definitely. However, it's pure insanity to blame this game on him in any way (which includes saying that the team in front of him has no confidence in him). It's also pure insanity that Boosh is being forced into the position that he's in due to bad luck with injuries and an idiot GM.
Goaltending is the MOST important position in the game. It's the one position that can have the most impact on how a game turns out. If a goaltender goes in there, steals games and wins, the effect it has on the team cannot be underestimated. However, if a goaltender goes out there, gives up questionable goals and the team loses, it also has an effect on the team that can't be underestimated. And when said team is going through a slump, sometimes that game stealing goaltender is what's desperately needed to help shake the team out of the funk.

Fact is, this team needs a lift and you'd figure that with some of his greatest performances coming with the Flyers, Boucher would be all fired up and wanting to be that guy. Instead, he's been rather plain and mediocre.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I said that with 13 games remaining, the Flyers would have to win at least 10 to secure a playoff spot. Right now, I really don't think they can win 10 with the goaltending they're getting.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Dude, I've said like 12 times that I think he's not even an NHL-caliber goalie. And it's something I've been saying all year long

And I didn't blame the entire game on him, it's just he's the focus of discussion.
Before the discussion really turned to Boucher:

Quote:
Yeah, and ours totally **** the bed. We might have at least gotten a point if Boucher wasn't useless.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

I don't get what the discussion is then. If he's not to be blamed for this game or the last two games then why are we talking about him?

I think I can say with confidence that you're in the minority in thinking that he's not an NHL goalie. If he weren't NHL caliber then he wouldn't be in the NHL and hold the record for most consecutive shutouts. He's not a great goalie, granted, but he's a quintessential journeyman backup.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:29 PM
freakydallas13

we must be paying coburn per goals against he is out for. Even timmonen cant cover his ass anymore.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:31 PM
freakydallas13

boosh is a backup goaltender, playing like a backup goaltender. Not sure why he is at fault here. Its like being mad at AHL players cause they are only good enough to play in the AHL. If anyone is at fault here, its homer.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Before the discussion really turned to Boucher:
Read all of my posts and not just two.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Fact is, this team needs a lift and you'd figure that with some of his greatest performances coming with the Flyers, Boucher would be all fired up and wanting to be that guy. Instead, he's been rather plain and mediocre.

Plain and mediocre is the definition of a backup. He's been about as good as I could have realistically asked.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I said that with 13 games remaining, the Flyers would have to win at least 10 to secure a playoff spot. Right now, I really don't think they can win 10 with the goaltending they're getting.

10 wins in 13 is exaggerating it. Especially in a conference as weak as this.
ffff

Old
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Read all of my posts and not just two.
Seriously...you don't think I've been reading your posts?

Been responding to most of 'em.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I don't get what the discussion is then. If he's not to be blamed for this game or the last two games then why are we talking about him?
Well, some people here are letting him off scott free because he isn't supposed to be the goalie anyways.

This team is supposed to win the Stanley Cup this year, if I feel that the backup goalie is not adequate, why can't I call the team out on it? Because it wasn't supposed to be this important?

Quote:
I think I can say with confidence that you're in the minority in thinking that he's not an NHL goalie. If he weren't NHL caliber then he wouldn't be in the NHL and hold the record for most consecutive shutouts. He's not a great goalie, granted, but he's a quintessential journeyman backup.
5 games doesn't make a career.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

how many games can you win averging 2.2 goals per game.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well, some people here are letting him off scott free because he isn't supposed to be the goalie anyways.

This team is supposed to win the Stanley Cup this year, if I feel that the backup goalie is not adequate, why can't I call the team out on it? Because it wasn't supposed to be this important?
You can, but Brian Boucher--being Brian Boucher--shouldn't be the target of your criticism. He is what he is, and it isn't a NHL starting goalie.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:38 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I love how all the Leighton haters are now defending Boosh.

If it was Leighton in nets this thread would be so different.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Seriously...you don't think I've been reading your posts?

Been responding to most of 'em.
I mentioned it twice:

Quote:
Should've thought about that when they signed the hack.

This game was not good all around, but guess what. Sometimes the offense dries up, and you need your goalie to bail you out. The Flyers made the game 2-1, and he gave up a absolutely terrible goal to Rich Peverly.

You want to say "score more than one goal." Fine. But make saves you're supposed to. You guys won't be so nice about it, if it happens in the playoffs.

Excuses are over. He's either getting the job done when it needs to be done, or he isn't.
Quote:
No one said the offense doesn't need to be better. The goaltender needs to be better too. You want to be in the NHL man, come up with it when your team absolutely has to have it from you. Bad goals deflate a team no matter who it's supposed to be in net.

Some of you guys know me long enough that I wouldn't tear apart a goalie like this if I didn't think he was truly awful.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:41 PM
freakydallas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post

there were only haters cause people thought we had a legit chance with him in net, which we dont. No one thinks this about boucher.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:41 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
Quote:

Maybe, I know that I expect about the same thing from either of them which is not much since they're at best back up goalies at the NHL level. The real problem is I expect a lot more from the rest of the team.

whatthef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

That's fine, but like Jester said Boosh shouldn't be the target of your criticism then. It should be Homer.

5 games doesn't make a career.

I thought it was six games? Regardless, it's not like I said that was the only positive to his career and the only reason he's in the NHL (which is what you're implying). If the guy wasn't an NHL talent then he wouldn't be in the NHL and wouldn't have been in it for as long as he has been.
jjjj

Old
03-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

The so-called "haters" were just realists that weren't pretending that Leighton was anything more then he was. These so-called Boosh "defenders" are just doing the same thing. We're being realistic with him.

Old
Jester

Quote:
I mentioned it twice:
Both of which came after you placed the onus on Boucher being "useless" and costing us a chance at a point...and getting called on it.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It's too small of a sample size, GG. He's this side of Arturs Irbe.

Old
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydallas13 View Post
there were only haters cause people thought we had a legit chance with him in net, which we dont. No one thinks this about boucher.
I'm not sure what your definition of legit is, but I felt we had a much better chance with Leighton then Boosh.

Our chances where still in the realm of reality.

Hey I'm hoping Boosh can get his head on straight and finally get a 2 Game winning streak.

Because there is no way we go past the first round with a goalie that can't string together 2 wins.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Both of which came after you placed the onus on Boucher being "useless" and costing us a chance at a point...and getting called on it.
He certainly did his part to cost us a point. Bad goals cost you a lot more when the team isn't scoring in front of you.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Jester

Quote:

Yeah, seen a lot of people arguing Boucher had a good game tonight. Oh, wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Maybe, I know that I expect about the same thing from either of them which is not much since they're at best back up goalies at the NHL level. The real problem is I expect a lot more from the rest of the team.
Yep...the thing with Leighton was that his stellar play seemed like a mirage to people, which is WHAT people were discussing. Not a question of whether or not Leighton was getting the job done--he was.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I'm not sure what your definition of legit is, but I felt we had a much better chance with Leighton then Boosh.

Our chances where still in the realm of reality.

Hey I'm hoping Boosh can get his head on straight and finally get a 2 Game winning streak.

Because there is no way we go past the first round with a goalie that can't string together 2 wins.
By saying this you're implying that these last two losses were his fault. Which they weren't.