HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MDZ reminds me a lot of Duncan Kieth- am I just too new to hockey?

Old
03-21-2010, 10:06 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

vCash: 500
MDZ reminds me a lot of Duncan Kieth- am I just too new to hockey?

So Ive watched probably 25-30 Hawks games this year. Now that I recently discovered I get the NYR replays on MSG on DTV Ive seen the last 6-8 NYR games. Through those games whenever MDZ is on the ice he reminds me of Kieth only less assertive shooting the puck. I'm not saying he's just as good by any means but their offensive skill set seem similar. Are they similar defensively?

I understand I could full well be missing a lot of the finer PTs of Kieths game but it doesn't seem like he's exactly a hammer in his own zone either.
Posted via Mobile Device

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:37 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
So Ive watched probably 25-30 Hawks games this year. Now that I recently discovered I get the NYR replays on MSG on DTV Ive seen the last 6-8 NYR games. Through those games whenever MDZ is on the ice he reminds me of Kieth only less assertive shooting the puck. I'm not saying he's just as good by any means but their offensive skill set seem similar. Are they similar defensively?

I understand I could full well be missing a lot of the finer PTs of Kieths game but it doesn't seem like he's exactly a hammer in his own zone either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Keith is very good defensively and plays over 25 minutes a night on average. They are similar size but Keith is definitely a faster skater with a better shot. MDZ's best asset is his vision, but it is hard for him to get anything done when his 2nd best breakout option is Dubinsky.

Keith is MUCH better then Del Zotto, but I guess I can kind of see the comparison in terms of mobility.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Keith is very good defensively and plays over 25 minutes a night on average. They are similar size but Keith is definitely a faster skater with a better shot. MDZ's best asset is his vision, but it is hard for him to get anything done when his 2nd best breakout option is Dubinsky.

Keith is MUCH better then Del Zotto, but I guess I can kind of see the comparison in terms of mobility.
This.

Hard to compare because Del Zotto is a rookie as well, but yes -- Keith's strength is his skating while Del Zotto's strength is his hockey IQ and vision. Both can hit pretty well too.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:48 AM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

In terms of moving the puck yes, but DZ is light years behind Keith. Keith is more responsible defesnivley and logs top pairing minutes which means he goes up against so many superstars in the west. Could Del Zotto ever be as good? Most likely not. But, the sky is the limit for DZ so you never know.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

To be fair, I think you need to qualify this statement with a "right now". Keith has 6 years of development on MDZ. I have faith that MDZ will continue to develop and actually become one of the best offensive defensemen in the league down the line.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Offensively skilled maybe.
Defensively skilled, NO. Keith is so much better defensively
Posted via Mobile Device

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:56 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I guess I didn't explain my point right. I know Kieth is much better but is this the type of player MDZ could be like potentially if he continues to develop because they seem simillar to my naive hockey eye.

MDZ seems to skate very well to me?
Posted via Mobile Device

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:57 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Yeah, they're worlds apart defensively. Right now, there is no sign that Del Zotto will be anywhere near as good when the other team has the puck. With the puck on his own stick, his future is very bright.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:59 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
I guess I didn't explain my point right. I know Kieth is much better but is this the type of player MDZ could be like potentially if he continues to develop because they seem simillar to my naive hockey eye.

MDZ seems to skate very well to me?
Posted via Mobile Device
Could, but he has a long ways to go when it comes to the defense. I mean, they are probably on different ends of the spectrum right now. Also, if DZ wants to stick on the PP he needs to start shooting the puck. He's a non-threat at the point right now

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:05 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Could, but he has a long ways to go when it comes to the defense. I mean, they are probably on different ends of the spectrum right now. Also, if DZ wants to stick on the PP he needs to start shooting the puck. He's a non-threat at the point right now
What are you talking about? He's the best puck mover on the team, which means he's the most important player on the PP not named Gaborik. His passing and his vision make him a threat every time he touches the puck. Being a rookie who still needs a LOT of work on his game, he doesn't utilize those skills well all the time. But he's certainly a threat, and hopefully consistency will come.

Shots from the point are nice, but a lack of them isn't the biggest problem with this team's PP. It's that we don't have anything even resembling a playmaking elite center.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I've made this comparison before myself, and I stand by it. Del Zotto looks very similar to how Keith looked when he first entered the league -- lots of holes in his defensive game and looks lost at times, but shows a lot of promise.

I see a lot of similarities with the two.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
MDZ with his vision, passing and good skating reminds me more of Brian Campbell then Keith

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:39 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I see the comparison, two things though...

We don't know right now if MDZ will ever play D near as well as Keith does.

We do know MDZ will never skate like Keith does.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:42 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
What are you talking about? He's the best puck mover on the team, which means he's the most important player on the PP not named Gaborik. His passing and his vision make him a threat every time he touches the puck. Being a rookie who still needs a LOT of work on his game, he doesn't utilize those skills well all the time. But he's certainly a threat, and hopefully consistency will come.

Shots from the point are nice, but a lack of them isn't the biggest problem with this team's PP. It's that we don't have anything even resembling a playmaking elite center.
No, but like Dave Maloney mentioned on the radio the other night, if you don't have a shot from the point then your PP isn't operating at full efficiency because teams don't need to account for the two guys up there as much.

I agree that in general Del Zotto is a threat, but in the end he still looks like an inexperience kid out there (albeit a very skilled one). I seriously have high hopes for him though and I bet he will live up to them

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:51 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Actually I think this is a pretty good post. Keith has developed a great deal over the past six years. MDZ has a lot of work to do but it's fair to see them as comparable if you look at their styles and talents.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
No, but like Dave Maloney mentioned on the radio the other night, if you don't have a shot from the point then your PP isn't operating at full efficiency because teams don't need to account for the two guys up there as much.

I agree that in general Del Zotto is a threat, but in the end he still looks like an inexperience kid out there (albeit a very skilled one). I seriously have high hopes for him though and I bet he will live up to them
I don't think Del Zotto is ever going to be our trigger man on the blue line. I'd inquire with Anaheim if they're looking to move Wizniewski. That'll add a big, right handed shot to our PP that isn't a forward masquerading as a point man.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think Del Zotto is ever going to be our trigger man on the blue line. I'd inquire with Anaheim if they're looking to move Wizniewski. That'll add a big, right handed shot to our PP that isn't a forward masquerading as a point man.
Wiz is everything Girardi should be, but never will be. Hard shot, physical. A real stopper. I think Anaheim would be dumb to move him. He's a solid role player.

Old
03-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Keith is very good defensively
he wasn't always. I see a lot of similarities between MDZ and Keith 3 years ago, but Keith is a much better skater.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Blazephr

i actually have seen some similarities between MDZ and Kieth. MDZ's play this past season is reminiscent of Keith's rookie year. I do agree Keith has an edge in the skating department.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
he wasn't always. I see a lot of similarities between MDZ and Keith 3 years ago, but Keith is a much better skater.
Keith has always been strong defensively

His rookie year was only season he was a minus player and that team was down right brutal.

Very few 22 year old's finish there 1st NHL season as a team's #1 dman. Aucoin was awful and Vandermeer was average. By end of season Seabrook and Keith were our top pairing

Just think about that for a second,,, A 22 yr old rookie + 20 yr old rookie as your top pairing. That is how good him and Seabrook have been since they came into league (Of course the rest of our D was awful so it wasn't just because of there talent)

The thing Keith didn't have when he came into league was the offensive game. That has been the thing he has worked on.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Keith has always been strong defensively

His rookie year was only season he was a minus player and that team was down right brutal.

Very few 22 year old's finish there 1st NHL season as a team's #1 dman. Aucoin was awful and Vandermeer was average. By end of season Seabrook and Keith were our top pairing

Just think about that for a second,,, A 22 yr old rookie + 20 yr old rookie as your top pairing. That is how good him and Seabrook have been since they came into league (Of course the rest of our D was awful so it wasn't just because of there talent)

The thing Keith didn't have when he came into league was the offensive game. That has been the thing he has worked on.
This. Keith is the opposite. Really good defensively always was but really improved offensively. 64 pts in 71 Games.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote