HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Game in 6 Minutes and about Thirty Seconds

Old
03-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
RE: Staal

There are going to be streches of the season where Staal floats. It frustrates me too, but most star players do it in most sports especially on a back to back games with a flight in between. Hell, Jagr floated for a full two years in Washington. The sooner you accept the fact that Staal is going to float sometimes the less pissed off you will get when he does it.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:42 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
no offense guys but it is what it is.
It's a neanderthal way of thinking, is what it is. If you want to wave your hand over the whole phenomenon and say "it's just a northeast way of thinking", that's fine, but that doesn't make it any less immature. Just because you grew up with it and understand it doesn't mean its acceptable behavior to the rest of the world.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:49 AM
WalkerBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
It's a neanderthal way of thinking, is what it is. If you want to wave your hand over the whole phenomenon and say "it's just a northeast way of thinking", that's fine, but that doesn't make it any less immature. Just because you grew up with it and understand it doesn't mean its acceptable behavior to the rest of the world.
geehaad, I have to say I agree with you. Some Buffalo acquaintances are amazed that we take babies/ grandchildren to the hockey games, and expect people around us to be somewhat civilized (as in don't throw up on me or constantly batter my ears with the F-word) ... say it's not a place for little ones ... and think the behavior of the Sabres fans at the 2006 playoffs is just fine!

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:55 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
ok. good luck with changing it. i didnt say it was right or ok, just saying if youre gonna go to games dont expect it to change.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFreak97 View Post
I find it funny that most/all people here complain that Buffalo fans are arrogant and rude and so on so forth...Yet then in the same sentence(or Breath) they say how crappy Buffalo is ...Basically you're saying Buffalo fans have no respect for other fan bases yet you will say things like how they don't win anything, most ignorant fanbases. just wow...

I went to a game in Carolina last year and I have to say the Carolina fans I sat next to were pretty cool. They seemed to have no problem with me being there. So in turn I respected them and stayed away from making statements that they see as disrespectful. We had a good time discussing what each team was doing. Well, when I stepped outside I went to call another group of fans over so we can go to a bar. I grabbed my phone a Carolina fan dressed in all Hurricane gear, took it and chucked it across the parking lot.

Moral of the Story: Don't judge your opinion on a fanbase just by a few people that are intoxicated and obviously don't know any better.

Also, this proves that all fanbases have the idiots that ruin the fun for everyone else. So maybe I should judge the Hurricanes' fans on the idiot that threw my phone.
Sorry dude, but my encounters with Slug fans are not good ones. It goes back to 2006 playoffs. A 6 foot some 300 pound man was mere inches from hitting me, a 5'8, 100 some pound female. Yeah that's real classy. And why was he mere inches from pushing me, because I was cheering for MY team in MY onw freakin building. The slug fans that come to the RBC do NOT know how to act in an away building.

I for one, would NEVER act the way these a$$hats do in an away building. Quite frankly I would NEVER act like they do in my own building.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Exactly. I grew up with orange/black in my blood and you will NEVER see me act that way in Mellon Arena.

I love it when other fans come to the building. Especially when both fanbases know what the definition of respect is. Its alot of fun ribbing and makes for a real fun game. When Buffalo comes to town, well there's a reason the Raleigh PD sends double then what they normally do.

If you want to act like ass holes in your own building when oppossing fans come, fine do it. If I went to HSBC arena wearing a Canes jersey, know what, say whatever you want to me, because if I'm going to wear that at HSBC, then I should take whatever they dish. But when I'm in MY arena, I shouldn't have to deal with that *****.

Old
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
ok. good luck with changing it. i didnt say it was right or ok, just saying if youre gonna go to games dont expect it to change.
Maybe we should take that same attitude with the actions of our beloved Hurricanes.

Old
03-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
If you want to act like ass holes in your own building when oppossing fans come, fine do it. If I went to HSBC arena wearing a Canes jersey, know what, say whatever you want to me, because if I'm going to wear that at HSBC, then I should take whatever they dish.
The funny thing is, I went to a game at HSBC, and was treated quite well. It was a good time. A lot of trash talking, but in a good spirited way. I can only remember one incident of somebody being truly angry, and that was some guy who yelled at me after I stepped off the train as the doors were closing behind me. I never met anyone who was like the people I meet down here, and I was at a bar before and after the game wearing my Canes jersey.

I kind of feel like a lot of the people down in this area never really cared about the Sabres when they lived up north (probably huge Bills fans though), but when we played Buffalo in 2006 they got interested and have since looked forward to the couple of times each year they get to go raise hell and pretend that the people around them are not their neighbors.

I enjoy the rowdy games. The Buffalo fans. The Pittsburgh fans. Brawls nearly erupting in the bathrooms. Children and grown men squaring off. People being ejected from the arena. I think it's just a blast.

03-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Some of them are Canes fans the rest of the season. they aren't the ones making fools of themselves - well maybe a few of them lose their minds temporarily but will redeem themselves eventually. A good friend is one of them. However, a good number are not from here but are within driving distance. One that I run into often is from Va Beach and is a drunken buffoon that never misses the Sabres games here or in Wash. Doesn't come to our games otherwise.

All I can say is his mom must be very proud.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Maybe we should take that same attitude with the actions of our beloved Hurricanes.
sorry im having a long day, not sure what you mean.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Ian1085

Just want to chime in here and offer up my two cents. I was born and raised a Sabres fan, and have been following the team since 1992, so allow me to just briefly explain why some of our fanbase decides to embarrass us.

Buffalo and Raleigh are two entirely different cities in terms of sports. Raleigh has the Canes, but also has allegiances to teams like UNC, the Panthers, and the Bobcats. Carolina is and always will be a basketball state, much like Buffalo will always be a football town.

Truth is that Buffalo's two major sports teams, the Bills and Sabres, are intertwined in the culture of the city. When you're born in Buffalo, it is sacrilege to be a fan of any other NFL or NHL franchise other than the Bills or the Sabres. No offense, but you'll never quite understand the passion that Buffalo sports fans have for their two franchises. You have to be a Buffalonian to truly understand it. Even our fans from Rochester and Southern Ontario don't truly "get it."

So let's fast forward to 2006. Both of these franchises are in unique situations. From a Sabres standpoint, I can tell you this entire city of mine felt that this was finally the year. We had demolished Philly and nearly swept an Ottawa team that had totally dominated us throughout the season, we felt we were invincible. Unfortunately during this time there was an absolute deluge of bandwagoners who hopped along for the ride. I can assure you for as many "redneck" and "hick" stereotypes there are as many teenyboppers with a crush on Pominville.

Carolina, unfortunately, was on the receiving end of the rage of Sabres fans. I can assure you if this was Atlanta or Florida they'd be in the same boat. Many of the people that were at RBC Center that series smashing commemorative glassware were the same people who a few seasons prior couldn't name our Top 6. On the flipside, Buffalo fans perceived "Caniacs" as bandwagoners themselves, and all due respect, I'm sure you had your fair share.

What happened next was a culture clash between a city whose team is pretty much a part of the city and a city perceived by Buffalonians as "unworthy." Sabres fans are still very bitter over that series given the injuries we sustained. If McKee didn't have a freak staph infection I can assure you that Rory freakin' Fitzpatrick wouldn't have been on the ice and not known where that puck was. In all due respect, I know that series was ours had the injuries not piled up.

Bottom line is that 2006 was a season unlike any other for the Sabres. That was the one year this city KNEW we would win it all, only to chock it up on the long laundry list of disappointments and calamities these two franchises have endured.

At the end of the day Sabres fans will never forget what happened that year. And when your team resorts to the insults on the jumbotron it makes your franchise look equally as ignorant. I can't recall ANY time the jumbotron at HSBC arena mocking out a city and its fans. That, whether you like to admit it or not, is just bush league, low brow, and low class, and quite honestly is just another excuse for the opposing fans to get riled up.

That's the only thing I have beef on. A majority of Canes fans are very passionate and knowledgeable, much like Sabres fans. Unfortunately a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and it just so happens that the idiots from both side get the attention.

Ian1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:06 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Good post, until the last few paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1085 View Post
What happened next was a culture clash between a city whose team is pretty much a part of the city and a city perceived by Buffalonians as "unworthy." Sabres fans are still very bitter over that series given the injuries we sustained. If McKee didn't have a freak staph infection I can assure you that Rory freakin' Fitzpatrick wouldn't have been on the ice and not known where that puck was. In all due respect, I know that series was ours had the injuries not piled up.
Maybe, maybe not. What I do know, for a fact, is that it really isn't Carolina's fault that Buffalo's defense was made of glass that year. And, the injuries were way overblown, and still are. If I remember correctly, when I broke it down by game, the first few games Buffalo was almost totally healthy. It wasn't until the later stages that they started to pile up. I also remember that only once did you have four defensemen out at once, and only twice did you have three defensemen out at once. It's really not even worth bringing up as injuries are part of the game.

Quote:
At the end of the day Sabres fans will never forget what happened that year. And when your team resorts to the insults on the jumbotron it makes your franchise look equally as ignorant. I can't recall ANY time the jumbotron at HSBC arena mocking out a city and its fans. That, whether you like to admit it or not, is just bush league, low brow, and low class, and quite honestly is just another excuse for the opposing fans to get riled up.

That's the only thing I have beef on. A majority of Canes fans are very passionate and knowledgeable, much like Sabres fans. Unfortunately a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and it just so happens that the idiots from both side get the attention.
To compare harmless jabs that poke fun about the success of a sports franchise to fans threatening children, breaking souvenirs that they really shouldn't have even been given and generally making a fool of themselves is completely asinine. There is no way they compare, at all. The quotes are harmless, fun natured and are put up basically in retaliation to the drunken mess that goes on at the RBC Center when Buffalo comes to town. I have no doubts that there are Caniacs that engage in the same sort of behavior both here and there, but to target the quotes and call them "low class" is, quite frankly, a joke.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:30 AM
canesnecu

Ian dude, really? The we're more passionate, we had more injuries, and it was just a culture clash excuses?

Be real with yourself. The reason your fanbase is the most hated and has the rep of being the most classless fanbase around the league (confirmed on XM204) has nothing to do with passion and a love for their sports teams. Its all about a bunch of hoodlums who act like complete arses, pick fights and destroy property because the combination of a warped sense of entitlement (which you confirm in your post) along with about a case of beer and 12 shots of booze dont mix. I guarantee these same aholes that act this way away from Buffalo are perfectly behaved in Buffalo.

You bet these tools would have acted the same in Atlanta and Florida because they do. And Washington, and Columbus and pretty much anywhere they go because a road trip away from Mommy and Daddy and lots of booze make for some great beer balls. I have no words for the tools that actually live here and act like hoodlums. If you moved here and stay here its because you have a better life here so why chit all over the place you live? Even a dog wont crap in its own crate.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:03 AM
AD Skinner

I'm going to change the subject here.

Everyone is lampooning Staal for his floating/lazy play, it looks like he's playing hurt, that kind of thing. And I agree, he has looked like his head isn't in the game and that he's playing sort of timidly in the physicality department. But I didn't really put together that in spite of that he's scored 2 goals and 2 assists in the last three games. I'm not going to argue that something looks off with him, because something truly does. But when that can be said in the same breath as four points in three games, it's pretty impressive.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:06 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

People really REALLY need to relax. On both sides. I, for one, had a great time with my 5 friends all wearing Hurricanes jerseys while I wore my Sabres jersey. And when 'canes fans talk garbage to me, I shut my mouth and let them shut it down. As a rule, I am more well-behaved in my Sabres jersey than I am any other night in the RBC.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:59 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Rivalries are good for the franchise and good for building fanbases. As politics today shows..hatred for opposing point of views is a much stronger rallying point than any well-thought principle. As a civilized person this stings a bit, but realities are realites.

Mendoza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
senrab

Send a message via AIM to senrab Send a message via Yahoo to senrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
All I have to say is I hate Buffalo, team and fans. Can't wait for them all to leave and go back to that sh!thole they call Buffalo.
Hate you too, sweetie.

senrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:35 AM
geehaad

Quote:
In all due respect, I know that series was ours had the injuries not piled up.
You can either give due respect, or you can say what you did in after the comma in that sentence. They are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
when your team resorts to the insults on the jumbotron it makes your franchise look equally as ignorant. I can't recall ANY time the jumbotron at HSBC arena mocking out a city and its fans. That, whether you like to admit it or not, is just bush league, low brow, and low class, and quite honestly is just another excuse for the opposing fans to get riled up.
Yeah, it's not as mannered as we'd like to make ourselves out to be. I also think Sam has a point...it doesn't excuse the behavior we see every Sabres game. Additionally, proposing the idea that a jumbotron can set these folks off only serves to reinforce the idea that they are a bunch of neanderthals. "They dissed my team on the jumbotron, so I'm going to go punch someone in the face." That may be acceptable in Buffalo, but it damn sure is not here, and it is in Raleigh where this behavior is being judged. You know...when in Rome...that.

I appreciate the effort to offer some insight, but rather ironically, it only served to reinforce our prejudice and (yet again) belittle the accomplishment of the team we love.

Old
03-23-2010, 11:25 AM
caniac247

Quote:
So let's fast forward to 2006. Both of these franchises are in unique situations. From a Sabres standpoint, I can tell you this entire city of mine felt that this was finally the year. We had demolished Philly and nearly swept an Ottawa team that had totally dominated us throughout the season, we felt we were invincible. Unfortunately during this time there was an absolute deluge of bandwagoners who hopped along for the ride. I can assure you for as many "redneck" and "hick" stereotypes there are as many teenyboppers with a crush on Pominville.

Carolina, unfortunately, was on the receiving end of the rage of Sabres fans. I can assure you if this was Atlanta or Florida they'd be in the same boat. Many of the people that were at RBC Center that series smashing commemorative glassware were the same people who a few seasons prior couldn't name our Top 6. On the flipside, Buffalo fans perceived "Caniacs" as bandwagoners themselves, and all due respect, I'm sure you had your fair share.

Bottom line is that 2006 was a season unlike any other for the Sabres. That was the one year this city KNEW we would win it all, only to chock it up on the long laundry list of disappointments and calamities these two franchises have endured.

The bold right there is your #1 problem. Why did you assume that series was yours? Carolina was the better seed, had home ice. As I recall, Carolina won the season series vs Buffalo that year. So I ask, what made your fanbase think the series was yours? Buffalo sure wasn't the much better team. In fact it was pretty hard to find any differences between the two teams.

I am glad to know that it makes it OK to come into someone elses building as a guest, and act like a jacka$$, because your team couldn't get it done that year or any other year. It must be hard knowing that a team who has been in existance for 13 years has a cup to Buffalo's what 30 years and nothing.

And I didn't know that saying Buffalo was on their 2,000th some consecutive day of snow was such an insult. Or that Carolina BBQ is better than Buffalo Wings. I will apologize on behalf of the Canes for putting such insults on the jumbotron.

Old
03-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

You ever think about why Buffalo is the ONLY picked on by our Jumbotron... Because you ass hole come into our home every year and act like a bunch of idiots... You guys are proud of the way you act too... Just read you own message boards... I hope the Sabres are like the Cubs and in 100 years we'll be talking about what a loser franchise they are and still haven't won a cup...

Sorry my friend, we were the better team in 06 and proved it throughout the year... We were actually leading the Presidents Cup with about 10 games left.. Well tied... So you can stick that 'It was our year stuff' up your ass

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Truth is that Buffalo's two major sports teams, the Bills and Sabres, are intertwined in the culture of the city. When you're born in Buffalo, it is sacrilege to be a fan of any other NFL or NHL franchise other than the Bills or the Sabres. No offense, but you'll never quite understand the passion that Buffalo sports fans have for their two franchises. You have to be a Buffalonian to truly understand it. Even our fans from Rochester and Southern Ontario don't truly "get it."

Buffalo isn't all that special with passion. Sorry man. Try going to Cleveland and see how they feel about the Browns and Indians. Or any other number of cities with their teams. And don't try telling me I don't know. My dad was from Buffalo. I've been there plenty of times. Buffalo is in no shape or form unique.

And being a Browns fan myself, I love how passionate we can be with the Dawg Pound, but you'll never see me excuse the behavior of fans throwing batteries at players and officials. There is no understanding needed. Certain things are wrong, and nothing makes them "right".

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:51 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Caniac View Post

Buffalo isn't all that special with passion. Sorry man. Try going to Cleveland and see how they feel about the Browns and Indians. Or any other number of cities with their teams. And don't try telling me I don't know. My dad was from Buffalo. I've been there plenty of times. Buffalo is in no shape or form unique.

And being a Browns fan myself, I love how passionate we can be with the Dawg Pound, but you'll never see me excuse the behavior of fans throwing batteries at players and officials. There is no understanding needed. Certain things are wrong, and nothing makes them "right".
To add to that. Where were those passionate fans back when Buffalo was at the bottom? Where were they when the team was going bankrupt?

Old
03-23-2010, 01:09 PM
MayDay

Hey guys. I come in peace. I just happened upon this thread, and I have to say I'm somewhat shocked that you all think the Sabres have a bad reputation as road fans.

I've never been to a game in Carolina, so I can't speak to your experience, but I've been to tons of road Sabres games (mostly to the three NYC-area teams, where I live now), and I've always behaved in a civilized way, never started crap with the home fans or anything. In fact, I often have great, polite conversations with the home fans sitting nearby. And even though there were large numbers of Sabre fans at many of the games that I've been to, for the most part they seem to behave themselves pretty well, and I've never seen any major problems. So I'm somewhat shocked by the general opinion of this board.

To be honest, compared to the pretty sedate behavior of Sabres road fans that I've personally witnessed over many games, I've seen much worse behavior from road fans (eg. Leafs and Habs fans in Buffalo, Philly fans in New Jersey, Rangers fans on Long Island, etc.).

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Hey guys. I come in peace. I just happened upon this thread, and I have to say I'm somewhat shocked that you all think the Sabres have a bad reputation as road fans.

I've never been to a game in Carolina, so I can't speak to your experience, but I've been to tons of road Sabres games (mostly to the three NYC-area teams, where I live now), and I've always behaved in a civilized way, never started crap with the home fans or anything. In fact, I often have great, polite conversations with the home fans sitting nearby. And even though there were large numbers of Sabre fans at many of the games that I've been to, for the most part they seem to behave themselves pretty well, and I've never seen any major problems. So I'm somewhat shocked by the general opinion of this board.

To be honest, compared to the pretty sedate behavior of Sabres road fans that I've personally witnessed over many games, I've seen much worse behavior from road fans (eg. Leafs and Habs fans in Buffalo, Philly fans in New Jersey, Rangers fans on Long Island, etc.).
Please visit next year, you will be embarrassed... I think it's the superiority complex that there fans have over ours... They think we don't know **** about hockey... We have a newer fan base, but we catching up fast...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I think you have to experience it first hand to realize just how awful it is. And again, it is both sides. Both sides rile each other up to beyond anything that can be considered civil, decent or what not. It's downright pathetic the way some people can act. And again, it's not nearly as bad as when any other team visits. I can imagine it going on in other places as you mentioned, but it's just appalling to see it first hand.

Personally, I love to run my mouth at opposing fans, but it's all good natured. I keep my mouth shut when Buffalo is in town unless I'm looking for a fight. Good natured back-and-forths quickly escalate into more.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote