HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game in 6 Minutes and about Thirty Seconds

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2010, 02:24 PM
  #126
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Please visit next year, you will be embarrassed... I think it's the superiority complex that there fans have over ours... They think we don't know **** about hockey... We have a newer fan base, but we catching up fast...
Well, that's too bad.

I for one have always been an advocate of having hockey in southern markets. I'm sorry that Hartford had to lose their team for you to get yours, but that said, I don't begrudge Carolina having a team. Hockey's my favorite sport, I think it's the best sport, so I want it to grow and succeed as much as possible. Including in the south.

I hope someday you get a chance to come up to Buffalo some time for a game, and you will see that the bulk of the fanbase is not all bad apples. In fact, I think you will be treated well, and probably the worse you would receive is some good-natured ribbing.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:26 PM
  #127
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I think you have to experience it first hand to realize just how awful it is. And again, it is both sides. Both sides rile each other up to beyond anything that can be considered civil, decent or what not. It's downright pathetic the way some people can act. And again, it's not nearly as bad as when any other team visits. I can imagine it going on in other places as you mentioned, but it's just appalling to see it first hand.

Personally, I love to run my mouth at opposing fans, but it's all good natured. I keep my mouth shut when Buffalo is in town unless I'm looking for a fight. Good natured back-and-forths quickly escalate into more.
That's the problem, you have to actually go the Sabres games with a different mentality... It's like no other fan base, although the Penguin fans are getting worse... You actually have to look to avoid fights, because if you play around, they get so ****ing stupid and you find yourselves ready to drop gloves with some idiot in a Sabres jersey...

I just say Wide Right or Skate in the Crease, and walk on

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
  #128
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Well, that's too bad.

I for one have always been an advocate of having hockey in southern markets. I'm sorry that Hartford had to lose their team for you to get yours, but that said, I don't begrudge Carolina having a team. Hockey's my favorite sport, I think it's the best sport, so I want it to grow and succeed as much as possible. Including in the south.

I hope someday you get a chance to come up to Buffalo some time for a game, and you will see that the bulk of the fanbase is not all bad apples. In fact, I think you will be treated well, and probably the worse you would receive is some good-natured ribbing.
I grew up in Ithaca, been to a number of games... You're right it's not as bad as when your brothers visit the RBC

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
  #129
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14
 
Gotta Catch Em Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
I hope someday you get a chance to come up to Buffalo some time for a game, and you will see that the bulk of the fanbase is not all bad apples. In fact, I think you will be treated well, and probably the worse you would receive is some good-natured ribbing.
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, I had a great time in Buffalo. It was the best treatment I received between Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Washington. Did you guys kick out all the bad eggs or something and bus them down here?

__________________
-Jonathan
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:48 PM
  #130
caniac247
Registered User
 
caniac247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Hey guys. I come in peace. I just happened upon this thread, and I have to say I'm somewhat shocked that you all think the Sabres have a bad reputation as road fans.

I've never been to a game in Carolina, so I can't speak to your experience, but I've been to tons of road Sabres games (mostly to the three NYC-area teams, where I live now), and I've always behaved in a civilized way, never started crap with the home fans or anything. In fact, I often have great, polite conversations with the home fans sitting nearby. And even though there were large numbers of Sabre fans at many of the games that I've been to, for the most part they seem to behave themselves pretty well, and I've never seen any major problems. So I'm somewhat shocked by the general opinion of this board.

To be honest, compared to the pretty sedate behavior of Sabres road fans that I've personally witnessed over many games, I've seen much worse behavior from road fans (eg. Leafs and Habs fans in Buffalo, Philly fans in New Jersey, Rangers fans on Long Island, etc.).
I frequent other teams boards, and I recall Atlanta, Washington, and Florida all complaining at one point last year about the Slug fans.

XM204, did a poll on the rudest/obnoxious fanbase, and Buffalo won that easily.

I'm not saying its happened to every fanbase, but I've heard the same stories from those 3 teams listed above. I don't know, maybe you guys just don't like the SE.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:01 PM
  #131
WalkerBabe
Registered User
 
WalkerBabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Sorry my friend, we were the better team in 06 and proved it throughout the year... We were actually leading the Presidents Cup with about 10 games left.. Well tied... So you can stick that 'It was our year stuff' up your ass
So don't be shy ... say what you REALLY think, Hurricane_SVT!

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:09 PM
  #132
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
I'm not saying its happened to every fanbase, but I've heard the same stories from those 3 teams listed above. I don't know, maybe you guys just don't like the SE.
Here's my theory.

A lot of Buffalo transplants moved away from Buffalo and to the southeast not entirely because they chose to, but partly because economic conditions forced them to. It's no mystery that the economy and job market in Buffalo has been bad for decades and caused a declining population.

On the other hand, the Carolinas (until the current recession) have been booming, one of the chief beneficiaries of the same economic and demographic trends that have been killing Buffalo and other Rust Belt cities in the Northeast and upper midwest. So perhaps some are bitter about that, seeing the Rust Belt's loss as the Southeast's gain.

I think there is an element of small-market insecurity on top of that as well, that larger Rust Belt cities like Pittsburgh and Detroit don't have. In the back of every Buffalo fan's subconscious is the nagging fear of Buffalo losing its pro sports teams to relocation. It is, as I said, a small market with a struggling economy and a declining population. Buffalo fans have witnessed those same economic trends cause several relocations from small-markets in the north to growing markets in the South. Carolina (having received their team via relocation from a small northeastern market) may make a particularly ripe target for this unspoken fear. This insecurity and fear may cause some to over-compensate by trying to act like macho super-fans, and coming off as obnoxious.

Anyway, none of this justifies bad behavior in other teams' arenas. Obviously that's not acceptable or excusable. I just wanted to take a crack at explaining it.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
  #133
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Here's my theory.

A lot of Buffalo transplants moved away from Buffalo and to the southeast not entirely because they chose to, but partly because economic conditions forced them to. It's no mystery that the economy and job market in Buffalo has been bad for decades and caused a declining population.

On the other hand, the Carolinas (until the current recession) have been booming, one of the chief beneficiaries of the same economic and demographic trends that have been killing Buffalo and other Rust Belt cities in the Northeast and upper midwest. So perhaps some are bitter about that, seeing the Rust Belt's loss as the Southeast's gain.

I think there is an element of small-market insecurity on top of that as well, that larger Rust Belt cities like Pittsburgh and Detroit don't have. In the back of every Buffalo fan's subconscious is the nagging fear of Buffalo losing its pro sports teams to relocation. It is, as I said, a small market with a struggling economy and a declining population. Buffalo fans have witnessed those same economic trends cause several relocations from small-markets in the north to growing markets in the South. Carolina (having received their team via relocation from a small northeastern market) may make a particularly ripe target for this unspoken fear. This insecurity and fear may cause some to over-compensate by trying to act like macho super-fans, and coming off as obnoxious.

Anyway, none of this justifies bad behavior in other teams' arenas. Obviously that's not acceptable or excusable. I just wanted to take a crack at explaining it.
You seem like a great fan... Wish there were more of you around...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
  #134
Guy
Registered User
 
Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
I haven't had a chance to read through this entire debacle, but I will echo DaleCooper's experience up at the HSBC and the city itself. I remember a guy, maybe 2 throwing out a few lighthearted jabs at the game, but nothing you wouldn't expect to hear anywhere else. Out and about in the city at the bars decked out in Carolina gear, I would have had to gone looking for trouble to find it.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:22 PM
  #135
Ian1085
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jensen Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
May Day hit it right on the head.

As far as fans go, my theory is that a lot of these transplants haven't been to a Sabres home game in years, and because of that they feel like they have to be extra hostile at opposing arenas. Unfortunately that leads to all the nonsense that is being talked about in here. Personally I've never threatened an opposing fan, I've never swore in front of families and kids at games, I'm just not that type of guy. Unfortunately you get these guys at these games that still think they're in the Rockpile at Ralph Wilson stadium.

I can absolutely assure all of you that, as your fellow posters have noted, HSBC is NOWHERE near as bad housing Sabres fans as the southern markets have become. I am honestly baffled by all of this because HSBC is very friendly to both families and opposing fans. In all my hockey games I've been to I've never seen one fight break out. Then again I haven't gone to a Leafs game ever

Speaking of which, even us Sabres fans know what it's like having our arena invaded (Leafs) and have us be irritated by opposing fans. I think it's just the mentality of certain clusters of fans that go to opposing arenas. They feel like they're the victim and going to be attacked from all directions so they get on the defensive and act all macho and tough. Not that I agree with that at all, but that seems to be the most logical explanation for why some of my fellow fans decide to embarrass us.

Ian1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:48 PM
  #136
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 28,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1085 View Post
I think it's just the mentality of certain clusters of fans that go to opposing arenas. They feel like they're the victim and going to be attacked from all directions so they get on the defensive and act all macho and tough. Not that I agree with that at all, but that seems to be the most logical explanation for why some of my fellow fans decide to embarrass us.
Exactly my thoughts as well. No one goes into their own building looking to start trouble because you're surrounded by people on your side. When you're in enemy territory, however, you're surrounded by people who (you perceive) hate you.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
  #137
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 32,144
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Here's my theory.

A lot of Buffalo transplants moved away from Buffalo and to the southeast not entirely because they chose to, but partly because economic conditions forced them to. It's no mystery that the economy and job market in Buffalo has been bad for decades and caused a declining population.

On the other hand, the Carolinas (until the current recession) have been booming, one of the chief beneficiaries of the same economic and demographic trends that have been killing Buffalo and other Rust Belt cities in the Northeast and upper midwest. So perhaps some are bitter about that, seeing the Rust Belt's loss as the Southeast's gain.

I think there is an element of small-market insecurity on top of that as well, that larger Rust Belt cities like Pittsburgh and Detroit don't have. In the back of every Buffalo fan's subconscious is the nagging fear of Buffalo losing its pro sports teams to relocation. It is, as I said, a small market with a struggling economy and a declining population. Buffalo fans have witnessed those same economic trends cause several relocations from small-markets in the north to growing markets in the South. Carolina (having received their team via relocation from a small northeastern market) may make a particularly ripe target for this unspoken fear. This insecurity and fear may cause some to over-compensate by trying to act like macho super-fans, and coming off as obnoxious.

Anyway, none of this justifies bad behavior in other teams' arenas. Obviously that's not acceptable or excusable. I just wanted to take a crack at explaining it.
Seriously, you may be my favorite fan from and other fan base that posts over here that doesn't do so regularly. Even if you don't do it all too often everything I've seen from you is rational and well thought out. It's a shame that more people on HF in general can't follow the same example. And sadly that includes myself from time to time.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
  #138
canesnecu
 
canesnecu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Here's my theory.

A lot of Buffalo transplants moved away from Buffalo and to the southeast not entirely because they chose to, but partly because economic conditions forced them to. It's no mystery that the economy and job market in Buffalo has been bad for decades and caused a declining population.

On the other hand, the Carolinas (until the current recession) have been booming, one of the chief beneficiaries of the same economic and demographic trends that have been killing Buffalo and other Rust Belt cities in the Northeast and upper midwest. So perhaps some are bitter about that, seeing the Rust Belt's loss as the Southeast's gain.

I think there is an element of small-market insecurity on top of that as well, that larger Rust Belt cities like Pittsburgh and Detroit don't have. In the back of every Buffalo fan's subconscious is the nagging fear of Buffalo losing its pro sports teams to relocation. It is, as I said, a small market with a struggling economy and a declining population. Buffalo fans have witnessed those same economic trends cause several relocations from small-markets in the north to growing markets in the South. Carolina (having received their team via relocation from a small northeastern market) may make a particularly ripe target for this unspoken fear. This insecurity and fear may cause some to over-compensate by trying to act like macho super-fans, and coming off as obnoxious.

Anyway, none of this justifies bad behavior in other teams' arenas. Obviously that's not acceptable or excusable. I just wanted to take a crack at explaining it.
All really good thoughts except you forgot one minor detail

All the freakin booze they guzzle in our parking lots like they've just been out of Mommy and Daddy's sight for the first time ever!!!!!!

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.