HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is kyle wellwood clutch

Old
05-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 500
If I could order a photoshop, I'd order Mr. Incredible starring Kyle Wellwood.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:38 AM
hungryhungryhippy

FFS, Luongo isn't a choker and Wellwood isn't clutch

stop overreacting to everything

hungryhungryhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Rometiklan

I think calling Wellwood "clutch" is overstating it. He has elevated his game, and has created some nice opportunities with his playmaking, but he has absolutely no finish. He's great at making his way to the net with or without the puck, but when he finally gets a chance, he doesn't have that goal scorer's mentality to bear down and bury the puck. It's not a knock on Wellwood. Sometimes I just wish he'd rip that puck like a rocket. Still, he continues to play well defensively. He skates back hard and picks up his checks, and has even thrown some big hits.

Rometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
If I could order a photoshop, I'd order Mr. Incredible starring Kyle Wellwood.

Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Rometiklan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
HahA! That's great! That scene where Mr. Incredible was trying to put on his belt comes to mind when Wellwood was Wellfed.

Rometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:42 AM
AntonRodin*

He's trying to earn more money to buy more cheeseburgers

AntonRodin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:52 AM
ferroid

If Wellwood could play this well all the time, he could be most teams' 2nd line center.

ferroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

Fixed up Kyle Gretzky. First dibs gets it as an avatar, if you want it.

Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:10 AM
Falconator

Playing well in 2 consecutive games does not give you a free pass from playing 80 poor games.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
FFS, Luongo isn't a choker and Wellwood isn't clutch

stop overreacting to everything
who is over racting this thread is well over a month old and started long before the playoffs and i think alot of people are expecting way to much from a third line waiver wire pick up..

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
who is over racting this thread is well over a month old and started long before the playoffs and i think alot of people are expecting way to much from a third line waiver wire pick up..
Waiver-wire pickup or not, I'm not going to call a player clutch when he previously had 45 points in 81 games and then 42 points in 48 games. He seems to lack motivation during the regular season or something, so him playing up to his ability is hardly clutch.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 12:58 PM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
Mr. Wincredible

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Waiver-wire pickup or not, I'm not going to call a player clutch when he previously had 45 points in 81 games and then 42 points in 48 games. He seems to lack motivation during the regular season or something, so him playing up to his ability is hardly clutch.
Did he put up those point totals playing with Tanner Glass and a Steve Bernier playing at 50%?

The definition of clutch is stepping up your game when it matters most - that's exactly what Kyle Wellwood has done this post-season.

Would you call Trevor Linden clutch? Or was he just an under achiever during the regular season?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:38 PM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Did he put up those point totals playing with Tanner Glass and a Steve Bernier playing at 50%?

The definition of clutch is stepping up your game when it matters most - that's exactly what Kyle Wellwood has done this post-season.

Would you call Trevor Linden clutch? Or was he just an under achiever during the regular season?
couldnt have said it better myself.. the 94 team had a poor season but stepped it up and went to the cup.. I am talking about a guy who has improved his play and is arguably our best forward right now after Raymond... and unfortanatly I would place Grabner third which is why we are down 3-2

Old
05-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Soth

Wellwood has been great for the playoffs - and that's when it matters. There have been times when he has played like a first liner over this series and the LA series.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:09 AM
Ribban

I guess Kyle might be a big reason to why Mats showed up.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Johnny LaRue

I wouldn't call Wellwood clutch, but he has been one of the more positive surprises during these playoffs. Ironically, he seems to be the Canucks that's the most...hungry? to win puck battles...maybe it's not so ironic after all.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 03:16 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

If you're a person that judges this team more on the post-season than the regular season I just don't think there's any way you can make a case for letting Kyle Wellwood walk this summer - Assuming he wants to return and for a reasonable dollar amount.
agreed.

even though I've certainly been on the Wellwood bandwagon for a while, I wasn't sure about bringing him back. I felt the money would be better spent on a bigger, grittier 3rd line C that could kill penalties and muck it up a little bit (without sacrificing skating and hockey sense to do it).

but this is two years in a row he's been one of our best forwards in the playoffs, and you don't just throw those kind of players away. Now, if Wellwood is willing to come back at a reasonable contract, I'm all for giving him a multi-year deal. having too many centres is never a problem, so Hodgson would still have a spot in the top 12 when he earns it.

but the way he's playing he might be pricing himself out of our range. and I could also see him wanting a bit more responsibility. for a team with a big top 6 centre and a couple decent wingers, but in need of some creativity and face-offs, he's the perfect fit. Maybe a team like CBJ (just off the top of my head without checking their roster for next season) would be willing to offer him a top 6 spot--with the pay cheque to match. If Wellwood wants to test the open waters, I think it will be hard to fit him into our salary structure as a UFA.

but if he's feeling some loyalty to Gillis and AV for helping him rebuild his game to become a more complete NHLer, and he's buying into where the team is going, he might be willing to re-sign at a price that works for both parties. I'm hoping he does.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Jyrki21
Registered Trademark

Interesting to note:

http://passittobulis.blogspot.com/20...superstar.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass it to Bulis
Simply put, fewer goals were scored against when Kyle Wellwood was on the ice than any other player in the NHL. That statistic that he leads the NHL in? Itís the ratio of goals against to total time on ice: a goal against was recorded every 43:17 that Kyle Wellwood was on the ice to lead the entire NHL in that category*. Whatís more, Wellwood was the only Canuck in the top 20 in that category. To break it down, Wellwood was on the ice for a total of 1,039:58 minutes this season. In that entire time, only 24 goals were scored against the Vancouver Canucks. The Canucks had 218 goals against: only 11% of those were scored while Wellwood was on the ice. When Kyle Wellwood was on the ice, the other team simply didnít score very often.

Letís repeat that: his ratio of one goal against per 43:17 time on ice led the entire NHL.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Fan in the Know

That back check on Brouwer's goal wasn't very clutch. Boooooo!!!

Last edited by Fan in the Know: 05-11-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Fan in the Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 11:00 PM
timw33

He seems to whiff on more shots and passes than any other forward.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 01:04 AM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in the Know View Post
That back check on Brouwer's goal wasn't very clutch. Boooooo!!!
You could make a lot of players look bad tonight by isolating one play.

Wellwood's good playoffs doesn't surprise me, he was the same way last season in the post season as well. I really hope he's back next year, I don't care how small of a role he plays in the regular season, but he was one of our best forwards nearly every game against Chicago.

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Marsh View Post

Wellwood's good playoffs doesn't surprise me, he was the same way last season in the post season as well. I really hope he's back next year, I don't care how small of a role he plays in the regular season, but he was one of our best forwards nearly every game against Chicago.
No question. It was unfortunate Wellwood let his man beat him there but from top to bottom the Hawks were a much better team tonight. I actually thought Wellwood was one of the only guys that was moving his feet or could carry the puck for any extended period of time tonight. In short, the Hawks played a letter perfect road game and the Canucks were no match.

Wellwood carried those unbelievable defensive stats right to the bitter end eh? I tracked those numbers all season long and he was in the top 3 virtually the entire way - hard to imagine Mike Gillis walks away from numbers like that, regardless of whether or not he's Vigneault's type of player or not. It's also pretty telling when there isn't another Canuck in the top 20.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Fan in the Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Marsh View Post

Please keep in mind I wrote that seconds after the Brouwer goal some what as a joke. Still, his back check was lacking on that play. Regardless, he was one of the teams better performers in the 2nd round and I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was resigned over the summer.

Fan in the Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 02:35 AM
oceanchild

I hope we keep wellwood he was our best player in game 6, in the series, and in the playoffs. I dont care if he sucks in the regular season we have lots af guys that can score then that dont show up in the playoffs which concerns me more. I hope we can keep him to shelter hodgson on the wing and let him learn the pro game and adjust just like they did with grabner and kesler. I like the way this team has developed players.