HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Starting goalie next season

Old
03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
one2gamble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Jaroslav Halak is probably the best available option outside the organization but he's going to cost a lot to bring in and there's really no reason to pay that price for a goalie. Gustavsson is restricted and Toronto has no motivation to move him. Rinne and Ellis haven't been all that different from each other this year. Since it seems like Nashville's decided to go with Rinne, getting Dan Ellis might not be a bad move to ease Greiss into the position.

Either way they want to go, they shouldn't spend too much money or assets to get it done. I'd rather go with a weak goalie that plays behind a much stronger blue line than another strong goalie in front of this very weak blue line.
isnt Halak a RFA? Off Sheet him.

At this point Id give one of the Sharks goalies a try. Sateri is someone that seems to have fell off the face of the earth, not sure what happened there. Id rather see some money spent on the Defense rather than the goalie.

Elllis might be cheap, if he is then I would go that route.

Thornton and Ginny to the Rags for King Henrik

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:23 PM
rideaucrusher21

I believe the long-term solution in goal is already in the organization. One of the goalie prospects is going to step it up, hopefully, stalock. But he won't be ready for another year or two so sign nabby for 2 year ext. or go after another veteran goalie for 1 or 2 years to team with greiss. Hey, maybe Greiss will step it up next year? who knows

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

I'm on the Karlsson bandwagon...I like the fact he's TALL.. These big 6'6 guys are pretty sturdy in net...that's not a significant enough reason to make him the favorite unfortunately...I'm a person who supports the idea of givin the guys within the org a shot at roster spots before outside aqusitions, but at such an important position you have to be aggressive, that's why I feel it necessary we acquire a GT like Vokoun. If for no other reason than he fills the need very well while guys like Stalock and Heemskerk develop.....yes, I said Heemskerk.

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:42 AM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
I really like Harding over anyone else as Halaks price is going to wayyyy to high, I think the Wild would have alot of interest bringing in Sateri under Backstrom, maybe if they throw in Mitchell and a mid round pick that would hopefully be enough

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:13 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

If Nabby really screws up the next 16 games. Realistically, the better and cheaper option would be to pick up Dan Ellis.

Sharks needs to focus on building the D core instead until Stalock is ready.
This team needs a stud like Shea Weber on the Blueline.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Kevy D

Turco

Kevy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Crap! When the hell did Rinne sign? My head must been in the clouds ...

Okay, let's try this again ... I say we push hard for Halak. I'd let Nabby walk, re-sign Marleau and trade Joe to Montreal. We'd have to take some salary back - maybe Hamrlik and his 5+ mil in return with Halak? If we bomb and Joe doesn't show, T-Mac and DW need to man up and trade Joe while his value is still high. My two cents ...
Wouldn't joe's value be pretty low at that point after yet another playoff with no show joe?

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine to Five View Post
Wouldn't joe's value be pretty low at that point after yet another playoff with no show joe?
Was hoping others would look at regular season Joe first ...

I'm all for what PF is sayin' ... build the blueline with Nabby's 5 mil+ and sign someone like Ellis to compete with Greiss. D-men like Volchenkov, Seindeberg, Z. Michalek, and McKee are all UFA's this summer - we need guys like that. (assuming they don't resign of course)

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Chomped

I've been throwing Turco's name around for a couple of weeks, funny to see he is becoming a more popular choice. He would only really be needed to be the #1 for one season, then hopefully Stalock will be ready to challenge for the starters position.

Chomped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:57 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomped View Post
I've been throwing Turco's name around for a couple of weeks, funny to see he is becoming a more popular choice. He would only really be needed to be the #1 for one season, then hopefully Stalock will be ready to challenge for the starters position.
Turco is bad if not worse than Nabby. Its pointless

Old
03-22-2010, 09:02 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Big Joe (and stuff)
for
Price (and stuff)

Halak is the better goalie and the Habs are seeing that now. Price will be available.

03-22-2010, 09:18 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Big Joe (and stuff)
for
Price (and stuff)

Halak is the better goalie and the Habs are seeing that now. Price will be available.
thats overpayment for Price regardless of how bad JT is right now, unless of course your just trying to dump JT. I honestly think Price would do very well here over the long run.

Old
03-22-2010, 09:31 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomped View Post
So apparently you didn't see the Dallas/Phoenix game last night did you?

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:24 AM
hockeyball

I agree, Price would be a great pickup. I think he'd be relatively cheap and have a real career resurgence here. Plus we don't need to keep him long term, which is a good deal for him as well (he can come here for a few seasons to increase his value).

To be fair, I don't blame Nabby for his current woe's. He's been seriously overplayed, this is TM's fault.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

As I was reading through this thread, I saw all the posts saying "Rinne," and I was like "get your grubby hands off of our goaltender!" Hah. But yeah, we signed him for at least another 2 years, hopefully he'll be here longer than that. Unfortunately Dan Ellis is a UFA, Nashville fans love him too and don't want to see him go, but seeing as I am a Sharks fan as well, I would rather him go there than anywhere else.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Unless you can sign someone with a history of having an on switch in big games, we will be better signing Nabby or one of Matt Tricks choices from his well-thought post, and bring in one of our junior Sharks to apprentice. I've personally eliminated Greiss as the best system choice but maybe some think he will develop. If we bring in someone from the system to be the heir apparent and can't find a goalie who can dial it up, we need to think hard about an interim starter that in addition to being able to play 60 games, can mentor as well. That's not an easy thing.

While we are on the subject, we should be looking at goalie coaches. I have been impressed with Bob Essensa in Boston. Tim Thomas was a disaster when he came up, and he has developed a late bloomer into an all-star. You can also pin several goalie disasters on him if you want, but I have a tendency to think the goalie contraversy in Boston is part of the heritage of being a long-suffering Bruins fan, and management has tried to fill the slot with quick fixes too often.

03-22-2010, 03:05 PM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Unless you can sign someone with a history of having an on switch in big games, we will be better signing Nabby or one of Matt Tricks choices from his well-thought post, and bring in one of our junior Sharks to apprentice. I've personally eliminated Greiss as the best system choice but maybe some think he will develop. If we bring in someone from the system to be the heir apparent and can't find a goalie who can dial it up, we need to think hard about an interim starter that in addition to being able to play 60 games, can mentor as well. That's not an easy thing.

While we are on the subject, we should be looking at goalie coaches. I have been impressed with Bob Essensa in Boston. Tim Thomas was a disaster when he came up, and he has developed a late bloomer into an all-star. You can also pin several goalie disasters on him if you want, but I have a tendency to think the goalie contraversy in Boston is part of the heritage of being a long-suffering Bruins fan, and management has tried to fill the slot with quick fixes too often.
Tim Thomas was never a "disaster" when he came up to the Bruins. He never went below a .900% during his entire time with Boston. I'm not sure when Essensa came on board, but I think you're giving him more credit than he deserves. The only goaltender who's shown consistency in the last five seasons for the Burins, has been Thomas. So unless if Essensa decided to just work with Thomas alone, I don't see why someone would be impressed with Essensa.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Turco is bad if not worse than Nabby. Its pointless
I disagree, well sort of. I give Nabby the slight edge in net. But I think Turco's puck play would more then make up the difference with this team. We're an offensive team, our best defense is to stay on offense and Turco would help us get out of our zone.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I agree, Price would be a great pickup. I think he'd be relatively cheap and have a real career resurgence here. Plus we don't need to keep him long term, which is a good deal for him as well (he can come here for a few seasons to increase his value).

To be fair, I don't blame Nabby for his current woe's. He's been seriously overplayed, this is TM's fault.
I agree about Nabby playing too much, but I dont think its all Tmacs fault. Nabby seems to be a headcase and it "forces" coaches to play him more than they want to. I think this makes sense as Tmac has shown to give youngsters of other positions a chance.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
one2gamble

poaching one of the habs goalies still seems like the best option to me for the long haul. Ellis is probably the cheapest decent option.

Old
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
nbbyfan20

I think Halak would be the best choice. Halak looked amazing in the olympics and has looked amazing when i have watched habs games.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:31 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Before everyone jumps on the Halak bandwagon, 2 things:

1) Why expend so much in terms of money and assets on a young goalie when most of us still hope to see the Sharks develop their young goalie talent? Do you think that Halak would want to come to a team where in only 1-3 years he'll be back to a similar situation being pushed by Greiss/Stalock/Karlsson/Sateri/whoever?

2) There are picks due back on an RFA offer sheet. Would you sign Halak at $3.5-$4m (remember, you're likely to have to sign him slightly above market value due to this being an offer sheet) plus at that price also give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. The common complaint around here is that DW gives up too many draft picks and teh team doesn't restock the prospect cupboard enough, but doing this basically kills the chances of getting a future impact player out of the 2011 draft except if the team manages another Pavelski-like supervalue late pick.

Halak is a good goalie, but the price is not right here. Not unless the Habs are willing to work out a trade for less than the 3 picks that would be due in RFA compensation

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Before everyone jumps on the Halak bandwagon, 2 things:

1) Why expend so much in terms of money and assets on a young goalie when most of us still hope to see the Sharks develop their young goalie talent? Do you think that Halak would want to come to a team where in only 1-3 years he'll be back to a similar situation being pushed by Greiss/Stalock/Karlsson/Sateri/whoever?

2) There are picks due back on an RFA offer sheet. Would you sign Halak at $3.5-$4m (remember, you're likely to have to sign him slightly above market value due to this being an offer sheet) plus at that price also give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. The common complaint around here is that DW gives up too many draft picks and teh team doesn't restock the prospect cupboard enough, but doing this basically kills the chances of getting a future impact player out of the 2011 draft except if the team manages another Pavelski-like supervalue late pick.

Halak is a good goalie, but the price is not right here. Not unless the Habs are willing to work out a trade for less than the 3 picks that would be due in RFA compensation
I agree with this stance and it is why I'm more of a proponent for signing any one of Dan Ellis, Marty Biron, Vesa Toskala, Jose Theodore, Chris Mason, or Johan Hedberg. None of these goalies are perfect, I realize that. However, to me, what's more important is that they will be cheap and none of them will warrant relegating Thomas Greiss to a backup and it'll allow him to get more starts and grow into the position. Sign any of those goalies to a two year deal at about half of what Nabby's making and use what's left to bolster the blue line.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Sirquacksalot
Raging Boner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
R
Dead set in goal:
1. Buffalo (Miller)
2. Vancouver (Loui)
3. Boston (Rask+Thomas)
4. NYR (Lundy)
5. Calgary (Kipper)
6. New Jersey (Brodeur)
7. Anaheim (Giguere)
8. Minnesota (Backstrom+Harding)
9. Carolina (Ward, may grab some insurance should Ward continue to have injury trouble)
10. Colorado (Anderson)
11. Florida (Vokoun- trade bait?)
12. LA (Quick)
13. Nashville (Rinne)
14. Toronto (Giguere)
15. Montreal (Price+Halak)
16. Phoenix (Bryzgalov)
17. Pitt (Fleury)
18. Dallas (Lehtonen- not sure he is better than Turco, but they are going with him.)
19. Columbus (Mason)
20. Chicago (Huet, not sure they will keep him however, but if they don't they won't be after Nabby)
21. Edmonton (Khabibrewin; may pursue upgrade?)
22. NYI (Roloson, Dipeitro)
23. Detroit (Howard+Osgood)
uhh...
I know nobody here is a fan of Hiller, but that guy isn't there anymore...

Sirquacksalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
sjshrky27

I like the idea of Hiller, but it will be Jonas Gustavsson. He wanted to go to the Sharks last year, but nabby was stuck here and the Sharks had no $. Thats why he signed a 1 year deal. He will be a shark next season- you heard it here first... E5 b******!!!!

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote