HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Quick Question: what is the black stuff on blade tape?

Old
03-23-2010, 10:52 AM
jagged

vCash: 500
Quick Question: what is the black stuff on blade tape?

See image for reference... it's white tape, but it looks like it's been covered with something else... is that wax?

I see a lot of NHL players doing this but I could never figure out what it was...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:55 AM
rinkrat22

its been rubbed by the puck. on purpose. its rubber rubbed off from the puck.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
TheNosebleedSection

Yeah it's been rubbed by a puck, basically the same idea as wax

TheNosebleedSection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Side note,

I've used wax on and off the last several years and I've occasionally rubbed white tape with a puck, but I've never done both. I've melted wax into tape from time to time though.

Last week, I taped up a couple sticks, put on a good amount of wax, then rubbed it in pretty good with the puck. I was really impressed with how it turned out; it seemed to make the tape a lot more durable while keeping the ridges and the tackiness of the wax. Melting it in took away from that tackiness, which I like.

I actually played three games with the tape job and it held up better than anything I've used. I usually re-tape every game, but I think I'll be able to get 2-3 out of each tape job.

And the best part is I don't have to dig out the heat gun, melt the wax, then let the gun cool for 20 minutes before putting it away.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Side note,

I've used wax on and off the last several years and I've occasionally rubbed white tape with a puck, but I've never done both. I've melted wax into tape from time to time though.

Last week, I taped up a couple sticks, put on a good amount of wax, then rubbed it in pretty good with the puck. I was really impressed with how it turned out; it seemed to make the tape a lot more durable while keeping the ridges and the tackiness of the wax. Melting it in took away from that tackiness, which I like.

I actually played three games with the tape job and it held up better than anything I've used. I usually re-tape every game, but I think I'll be able to get 2-3 out of each tape job.

And the best part is I don't have to dig out the heat gun, melt the wax, then let the gun cool for 20 minutes before putting it away.

I've tried all of these and liked the melted in wax the best but it did not help all that much in keeping ice buildup from occuring on the blade.

The rubbing of a puck is what I do but not to the extreme of the posted picture. I do it just the height of the puck and I do it for puck grip reasons for shooting pucks with more zip. As for the heat gun thing that works great for making tape last longer. I usually wear out all of the tape under the bottom of the blade and the front and back of the blade are still stuck on like new. I too use tape jobs for about 3-5 sessions. That depends on whether or not someone steps on the blade and makes a huge skate blade cut in the tape but even then you restick the lifted tape spot and it stays good for quite a while.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged View Post

See image for reference... it's white tape, but it looks like it's been covered with something else... is that wax?

I see a lot of NHL players doing this but I could never figure out what it was...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
I get the same result using a roll of friction tape instead of a puck.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
rinkrat22

I kinda over kill it. rub the tape with the puck, melt wax into the tape (I use sex wax) and when to cools I do another quick rub with the wax so there is just a little to keep the snow off. I get about 5-6 sessions out of a tape job this way. I really started using the wax just for the snow build up. But when I started using the sex wax about a year ago that stuff is so hard I found it easier to heat it a little with the heat gun, and that led to me finding out how much longer the tape job lasts, by melting the wax into the tape.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote