HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wake-up Call

View Poll Results: What should be done?
Fire TMac 37 27.01%
Scratch some of the "star" players 60 43.80%
Change captaincy 34 24.82%
Nothing 44 32.12%
Other 28 20.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2010, 10:47 PM
  #26
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Too late for any of the other options. McLellan could have sat people last week but now it's too late. They quit on him and you don't get that back.....not ever. It drastic to do it now but nothing else will get their attention now. Their Captain has no stones so nobody on the team can fix it. If DW lets this mess go to the playoffs and they get swept in the 1st round, then he's gonna go too after the season. DW needs to do it for self preservation if nothing else.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:49 PM
  #27
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson
 
Bizz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 50
Firing TMac is the only thing DW can really do at this point. Bench your star players and the losing streak will only continue. Stripping Blake of a captaincy that he didnt earn/deserve in the first place will only work in the long run. Doing nothing is exactly what happened after losses #3, 4 and 5 and that clearly hasnt worked either. The Sharks shouldnt even be thinking about the playoffs right now, their #1 priority is to win a game.

Bizz06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:54 PM
  #28
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,946
vCash: 500
it doesnt matter if they win or lose, bench the stars to make a point going into the playoffs.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:55 PM
  #29
Internazionale
Registered User
 
Internazionale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Its time to inject some young blood into team ala Ferriero and maybe change coaching philosophy to something that works short term and fast. Its obvious Todd has lost his players, but he can't be all at fault. Players on the team are payed to play and right now 99.9 percent don't deserve a paycheck. This team is pathetic and lifeless right now, and I really do hope Phoenix pass them because they deserve it more.

Internazionale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:59 PM
  #30
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,368
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internazionale View Post
Its time to inject some young blood into team ala Ferriero and maybe change coaching philosophy to something that works short term and fast. Its obvious Todd has lost his players, but he can't be all at fault. Players on the team are payed to play and right now 99.9 percent don't deserve a paycheck. This team is pathetic and lifeless right now, and I really do hope Phoenix pass them because they deserve it more.
Waive Rob Blake.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:18 PM
  #31
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
Without a doubt this season is toast. finish it out, fire EVERYONE including DW in the summer. trade JT, make Boyle C, trade away 1/2 this team. Sign patty, get some players that have some BALLS!!!!!!!!

and F everyone else...

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:25 PM
  #32
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,697
vCash: 50
If TMac can't be at fault for losing his players, then how can Tippet be credited for gaining his? It's not his own, single fault, but it's a fault no less.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:34 PM
  #33
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,627
vCash: 500
Tmac and DW are the issues here.

Tmac overplayed his players even though he clearly knew he shouldn't (as he stated he wouldn't play Nabby as much earlier in the season).

Tmac is absolutely unwilling and unable to motivate his players in anyway.

Tmac is unable to adjust his coaching style on the fly or even long term in order to cover holes. He was thoroughly out-coached last playoffs, and repeatedly this season.

DW hired Tmac

DW created a top heavy team with a completely inadequate defense.

DW put all his faith in the wrong player (Blake).



The players have some blame of course, but in the grand scheme of things, the real issue here is clearly the management.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:44 PM
  #34
WineShark
Registered User
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
I don't think you get out of suck by piling on suck. That eliminates the choices, fire, strip, sit, etc. Punishment is seldom inspiring and this team needs inspiration.

Define the problems first. When I look at the team, I see a dog tired (mentally) bunch of Olympians. Pavs is OK (His team had a good run). But look at Murray who looks like his knees stopped bending when he skates, the dazed looks on a 4 Canadians (remember the pressure on them to win ... and the letdown that has to follow that kind of relief) and last look at Nabby who had a rough tournament too. He's not getting down as quick and his glove is not as quick.

I liked Jamie Bakers POV. Start with defense. Keep the defenders back instead of cheating up the ice. Every turnover now is in the net because nobody has the ability to recover.

What I do:
  1. play Greiss and Nabby equally for the last 10 games. Let the W-L's fall where they may. Nabby needs to get the mental sharpness back and regain the physical push.
  2. I roll 4 lines but sit Staubitz and bring in Ferriero. Its not because its Staubitz fault, but we don't need him in the playoffs. Lets sit him now.
  3. Get a 4th line that can check and be an energy line. Our 4th line needs Nichol because he is an energy player - not a scorer. Pair him with Mitchell (who isn't scoring) and McGinn who finishes checks and is fast too. That is a fast 4th line.
  4. On the third line, I want some speed and guys that can score a little and stand in the paint. Malhotra, Couture, and Ferriero
  5. On defense, I rotate in Demers and make sure Boyle and Blake are sufficiently rested.
  6. Pair Wallin with Boyle because Wallin can eat minutes and Murray with his style, needs a few less minutes.
  7. Sit Huskins and insert Demers to play with Murray as a bottom pair. But I skate the second and bottom pair about the same minutes.
Marleau-Pavelski-Heatley (All three can shoot and pass)
Clowe-Thornton-Seto (punishing physically)
Malhotra-Couture-Ferriero
McGinn-Nicholl-Mitchell
(R) Ortmeyer, Staubitz

Wallin-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Murray-Demers

(R) Leach, Huskins

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:49 PM
  #35
mjburns
RIP Eyedea
 
mjburns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 408
Country: Togo
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I don't think you get out of suck by piling on suck. That eliminates the choices, fire, strip, sit, etc. Punishment is seldom inspiring and this team needs inspiration.

Define the problems first. When I look at the team, I see a dog tired (mentally) bunch of Olympians. Pavs is OK (His team had a good run). But look at Murray who looks like his knees stopped bending when he skates, the dazed looks on a 4 Canadians (remember the pressure on them to win ... and the letdown that has to follow that kind of relief) and last look at Nabby who had a rough tournament too. He's not getting down as quick and his glove is not as quick.

I liked Jamie Bakers POV. Start with defense. Keep the defenders back instead of cheating up the ice. Every turnover now is in the net because nobody has the ability to recover.

What I do:
  1. play Greiss and Nabby equally for the last 10 games. Let the W-L's fall where they may. Nabby needs to get the mental sharpness back and regain the physical push.
  2. I roll 4 lines but sit Staubitz and bring in Ferriero. Its not because its Staubitz fault, but we don't need him in the playoffs. Lets sit him now.
  3. Get a 4th line that can check and be an energy line. Our 4th line needs Nichol because he is an energy player - not a scorer. Pair him with Mitchell (who isn't scoring) and McGinn who finishes checks and is fast too. That is a fast 4th line.
  4. On the third line, I want some speed and guys that can score a little and stand in the paint. Malhotra, Couture, and Ferriero
  5. On defense, I rotate in Demers and make sure Boyle and Blake are sufficiently rested.
  6. Pair Wallin with Boyle because Wallin can eat minutes and Murray with his style, needs a few less minutes.
  7. Sit Huskins and insert Demers to play with Murray as a bottom pair. But I skate the second and bottom pair about the same minutes.
Marleau-Pavelski-Heatley (All three can shoot and pass)
Clowe-Thornton-Seto (punishing physically)
Malhotra-Couture-Ferriero
McGinn-Nicholl-Mitchell
(R) Ortmeyer, Staubitz

Wallin-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Murray-Demers

(R) Leach, Huskins
This.

mjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:52 PM
  #36
estevao
Human Person
 
estevao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pullman, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Bring back Shelley.

estevao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
  #37
WineShark
Registered User
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
........maybe they all need a day off from hockey, and some beer and lawn bowling.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:57 PM
  #38
68 Z-28
Registered User
 
68 Z-28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 2,578
vCash: 500
So I know this is the typical Sharks choking right now. But have we seen them choke this early in the season? Perhaps their choking now they will get it out of the way before the playoffs? We haven't seen this team go through this rough of a patch in the regular season in the last few years. So who knows how/if they'll rebound.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:00 AM
  #39
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 2810
Bag
Skate.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:03 AM
  #40
allabout42
Registered User
 
allabout42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Honestly, I think the team needs to play through this slump. I agree, it's been ugly the last few games, but if we all remain optimistic goods things will come.

allabout42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:05 AM
  #41
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,697
vCash: 50
So why come WineShark so smart and TMac so fail?

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:06 AM
  #42
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson
 
Bizz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Without a doubt this season is toast. finish it out, fire EVERYONE including DW in the summer. trade JT, make Boyle C, trade away 1/2 this team. Sign patty, get some players that have some BALLS!!!!!!!!

and F everyone else...
And what if they turn it around and have success for the final 10 games and the playoffs? Then you look rediculous for having typed such a thing.

Bizz06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:22 AM
  #43
WineShark
Registered User
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
So why come WineShark so smart and TMac so fail?
I drunk more wine that Tmac is.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:25 AM
  #44
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,935
vCash: 500
Would it be an overreaction to fire TMac? There is a lot of precedent in the league for it, i.e. firing Ftorek for Larry Robinson (And winning the cup), Dan Byslma (won the cup), etc. But it doesn't always translate to big success.

Not that I want to see Trent Yawney be the main guy in any way, shape or form, and I'm not sure TMac should be fired, but the only thing DW can do himself to get a spark is fire TMac, I agree with that.

I also think DW doesn't have the guts to make a move anyways. He's no Lou Lam, or even D Sutter in terms of taking such an action.


Last edited by ChompChomp: 03-22-2010 at 12:31 AM.
ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:31 AM
  #45
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,562
vCash: 500
WS, I like your lineup; unfortunately though, DW and TMac seem to agree that Demers should not be a part of this team this season... which sucks. (same for Ferriero)

Malhotra - Couture - Ferriero would be a great line. The 2 AHLers have a great chemistry together and Malhotra has the experience to back em up.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:35 AM
  #46
SJSharksfan39
Registered User
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,659
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
WS, I like your lineup; unfortunately though, DW and TMac seem to agree that Demers should not be a part of this team this season... which sucks. (same for Ferriero)

Malhotra - Couture - Ferriero would be a great line. The 2 AHLers have a great chemistry together and Malhotra has the experience to back em up.
I was wondering that during this game...Where the hell was Demers. Hasn't he shown that he can play in the NHL this season? What must he do the get a regular slot on the team. It's not like it can get any worse, so why not play him in the regular rotation? I just don't get that.

As for the poll, all the above. I'm tired of T-Mac, and his "process" which I still don't know what it is. I'm tired of Wilson and his excuses and disappointment year in and year out and Boyle deserves the captaincy. Blake's career, while probably a good one, has come to an end and he is a weak link on this team. Hopefully he's not back next season.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:36 AM
  #47
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
So why come WineShark so smart and TMac so fail?
Todd thinks that since he was an assist coach or some ******** that he's way is going to win a cup no matter what.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:37 AM
  #48
OneTooth
Registered User
 
OneTooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
I've been telling all of you that TMac sucks. With the Sharks firepower, it is impossible to think that the players have no heart or will to score or it's all JT's fault or whatever else has been said in this thread. Boyle is as pissed off as ever, showing emotion, blah blah blah and even he has been stinking it up.

It's the crappy system that TMac has them playing. It's expected that they will give up goals due to the crappy D, but they should be scoring goals almost at will. Lose 6-7, not 1-5 with their firepower.

Passing back to the D for a shot on goal while standing in front of the net is NOT working. The D can't get shots on net. And when shots get blocked and turned over, guess what? The other team is off to the races and the forwards are stuck still standing in front of the net. That's why this team is giving up so many odd-man rushes.

How about letting the players use their creativity a bit? Heatley in the middle slot where he makes his money? Stop crowding the net so much? How many times have rebounds bounce just out of a Shark's reach because he was in too deep?

The Sharks only play one way: dump, chase, pass back to D and crowd the net. It's predictable and it's not working. This is something you expect to see on a team without a lot of talent and not on a team with Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, Boyle, Pavelski, Clowe, Setoguchi, etc. They look like robots out there and even when they win it's boring to watch.

My guess is that in the playoffs they will really struggle to score goals when even more shots are blocked. Time will tell.

OneTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:40 AM
  #49
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn
 
USF Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 20,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I don't think you get out of suck by piling on suck. That eliminates the choices, fire, strip, sit, etc. Punishment is seldom inspiring and this team needs inspiration.

Define the problems first. When I look at the team, I see a dog tired (mentally) bunch of Olympians. Pavs is OK (His team had a good run). But look at Murray who looks like his knees stopped bending when he skates, the dazed looks on a 4 Canadians (remember the pressure on them to win ... and the letdown that has to follow that kind of relief) and last look at Nabby who had a rough tournament too. He's not getting down as quick and his glove is not as quick.

I liked Jamie Bakers POV. Start with defense. Keep the defenders back instead of cheating up the ice. Every turnover now is in the net because nobody has the ability to recover.

What I do:
  1. play Greiss and Nabby equally for the last 10 games. Let the W-L's fall where they may. Nabby needs to get the mental sharpness back and regain the physical push.
  2. I roll 4 lines but sit Staubitz and bring in Ferriero. Its not because its Staubitz fault, but we don't need him in the playoffs. Lets sit him now.
  3. Get a 4th line that can check and be an energy line. Our 4th line needs Nichol because he is an energy player - not a scorer. Pair him with Mitchell (who isn't scoring) and McGinn who finishes checks and is fast too. That is a fast 4th line.
  4. On the third line, I want some speed and guys that can score a little and stand in the paint. Malhotra, Couture, and Ferriero
  5. On defense, I rotate in Demers and make sure Boyle and Blake are sufficiently rested.
  6. Pair Wallin with Boyle because Wallin can eat minutes and Murray with his style, needs a few less minutes.
  7. Sit Huskins and insert Demers to play with Murray as a bottom pair. But I skate the second and bottom pair about the same minutes.
Marleau-Pavelski-Heatley (All three can shoot and pass)
Clowe-Thornton-Seto (punishing physically)
Malhotra-Couture-Ferriero
McGinn-Nicholl-Mitchell
(R) Ortmeyer, Staubitz

Wallin-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Murray-Demers

(R) Leach, Huskins

WS, we tend to agree a lot more than we disagree, and I agree with what you say here; however, the only way this happens is if McLellan is no longer coach. He is still content to roll 3 lines and abuse his top defensive pairing (especially Boyle). He is far to stubborn to cut ice time for his best players even if it's in their best interest so they can rest. He also has a crop of inexperienced assistants who probably don't know better than he does so no one is probably giving him good advice.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:44 AM
  #50
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I don't think you get out of suck by piling on suck. That eliminates the choices, fire, strip, sit, etc. Punishment is seldom inspiring and this team needs inspiration.

Define the problems first. When I look at the team, I see a dog tired (mentally) bunch of Olympians. Pavs is OK (His team had a good run). But look at Murray who looks like his knees stopped bending when he skates, the dazed looks on a 4 Canadians (remember the pressure on them to win ... and the letdown that has to follow that kind of relief) and last look at Nabby who had a rough tournament too. He's not getting down as quick and his glove is not as quick.

I liked Jamie Bakers POV. Start with defense. Keep the defenders back instead of cheating up the ice. Every turnover now is in the net because nobody has the ability to recover.

What I do:
  1. play Greiss and Nabby equally for the last 10 games. Let the W-L's fall where they may. Nabby needs to get the mental sharpness back and regain the physical push.
  2. I roll 4 lines but sit Staubitz and bring in Ferriero. Its not because its Staubitz fault, but we don't need him in the playoffs. Lets sit him now.
  3. Get a 4th line that can check and be an energy line. Our 4th line needs Nichol because he is an energy player - not a scorer. Pair him with Mitchell (who isn't scoring) and McGinn who finishes checks and is fast too. That is a fast 4th line.
  4. On the third line, I want some speed and guys that can score a little and stand in the paint. Malhotra, Couture, and Ferriero
  5. On defense, I rotate in Demers and make sure Boyle and Blake are sufficiently rested.
  6. Pair Wallin with Boyle because Wallin can eat minutes and Murray with his style, needs a few less minutes.
  7. Sit Huskins and insert Demers to play with Murray as a bottom pair. But I skate the second and bottom pair about the same minutes.
Marleau-Pavelski-Heatley (All three can shoot and pass)
Clowe-Thornton-Seto (punishing physically)
Malhotra-Couture-Ferriero
McGinn-Nicholl-Mitchell
(R) Ortmeyer, Staubitz

Wallin-Boyle
Vlasic-Blake
Murray-Demers

(R) Leach, Huskins

I'm for all of this except for the Murray part. He doesn't need less ice time, he needs none for a while. Whether it's the Olympics, injury, whatever, he went from the best defenseman to the worst. He looks like he has never played with anyone on this team ever. He's not aggressive like he always has been and none of the D communicate at all right now. Rest him and see if the old Murray comes back. If he doesn't they are sunk anyway, but playing him sure isn't working. I'd like to dump Blake but that isn't very realistic at this point.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.