HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MVP-Most Valuable Predator

View Poll Results: Most Valuable Predator
Jason Arnott 0 0%
Shea Weber 5 9.80%
Steve Sullivan 0 0%
Ryan Suter 8 15.69%
Pekka Rinne 7 13.73%
Patrick Hornqvist 25 49.02%
David Legwand 1 1.96%
Martin Erat 1 1.96%
Joel Ward 2 3.92%
Francis Bouillon 0 0%
Dan Ellis 1 1.96%
Marcel Goc 0 0%
Dan Hamhuis 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
MVP-Most Valuable Predator

As we near the end of the season, I thought it would be nice to discuss who has been the MVP of this team with one exception, it's the most valuable Predator award as opposed to player as this award should go to the player who exemplifies what it means to be a Predator this year. Lots of guys have had good years. Many have contributed along the way. I don't know that there's one clear cut winner here but curious what others have to think on this subject.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

write-in ... Colin Wilson

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:24 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
write-in ... Colin Wilson
I thought about putting him on the list too but he just hasn't played enough games to be considered IMO. He's a big part of the team since the break but his earlier season play coupled with him being in Milwaukee for a big chunk of the season just didn't warrant him being on this list right now.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Chose Ward, he is, IMO, what it is to be a Predator. It was hard, I could have voted Suter, Rinne, Sullivan, anyone really.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Liquidfire3240

Voted for Horny, because hes been the person that fills in the spots that nobody else seems to want to at times.

Rinne was also a consideration, but its kinda too up and down for me to have full confidence, but his recent play is making a big argument for him.

Bouillon was probably my 2nd choice, just because he always isnt in the spotlight, which can be a good thing, for the fact that he doesnt mess up enough to be singled out, that and the fact that hes had what, 4? 5 different partners this season, and has seemed to handle each one with ease.

Liquidfire3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
glenngineer

I voted Suter for his steady play all season long. Nothing spectacular but nothing horrendous either. The one San Jose game a few weeks ago but other than that, has he really had a bad game? Also, quietly leads the team in assists.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:48 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Horny!

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:52 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
seriously, people?

its not even close.

its no coincidence that the two sustained winning streaks this team has had this season have been almost entirely on the strength of Rinne playing lights out.

look at the sched for the year. we are currently 16 games over .500

13 of that 16 games are a 7 game Rinne win streak in November and the current 6 game win streak, all by Rinne.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:53 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I voted Legwand because right now he is being the ultimate team mate..... Playing a third line checking role and not saying a negative word about it.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Excellent question...I'm going to have to sleep on this and vote tomorrow. Some real tough decisions here...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:03 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I will admit that without Hornqvists unexpected bonanza of goals we'd have been royally screwed, but even with his goals we are only a .500 team unless Pekka is hot..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:05 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
seriously, people?

its not even close.

its no coincidence that the two sustained winning streaks this team has had this season have been almost entirely on the strength of Rinne playing lights out.

13 of that 16 games are a 7 game Rinne win streak in November and the current 6 game win streak, all by Rinne.
Of course it's close. Rinne has had two great stretches of 13 games. He is one of the main reasons we did so well during those stretches but he also had his moments where he struggled mightily. Honestly, I don't think there's been one player that has been utterly consistent from the get go til now. Hornqvist has had his streaks and slumps. Erat certainly had a great stretch at one point. Wilson is having a hot streak right now. Legwand, Sully, Dumont and Arnott have really not gone on any major tears this year. Weber and Suter have been good but haven't really dominated from the blue line.

I think Hornqvist has had some of the biggest goals for us this year that either put us ahead or tied it up like today. I think our record when Ward scores a point can't be overlooked. I don't think this is a cut and dry question.

Old
03-22-2010, 03:18 AM
goalscorer

When I think of Predator hockey, I think gritty, two-way, never quit hockey. Hornqvist eximplies that for me. I always notice when he's on the ice. Either finishing a check, forechecking hard, backchecking, etc. He's not flashy and never tries to do too much. He goes to the dirty areas and excels there. He's been in a variety of roles in his first full NHL season and as done them all well, IMO. He, like Rinne at times has carried this team. He scored goals when our "superstars" couldn't/havn't. He's gotten top line minutes and produced. He got fourth line minutes and still produced. You can't ask for much more from this guy.

I would give Rinne a second place vote. Ward a possible third.

Had Wilson been playing the way he is now for the entire season, I think he would get alot of votes.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I voted Suter for his steady play all season long. Nothing spectacular but nothing horrendous either. The one San Jose game a few weeks ago but other than that, has he really had a bad game? Also, quietly leads the team in assists.
I agree. Hornqvist and Weber would be right behind him. After that, I can't see anyone that comes close.

03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
WalkmanX

Although i can't Vote LoL, my vote would go to Hornqvist.

Really Gritty, willing to pay the price and going to the dirty areas to score, Decent defensively.

Its all about us, we aren't the most skilled, but we sure are one of the hardest workers out there and willing to pay to score.

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Not that he's the most valuable, but shots out to Dan Hamhuis. He's been a beast lately in the defensive zone. When he plays with an edge, he's a great defenseman.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:30 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I cant vote but I would vote Hornqvist. If it wasnt for him we wouldnt be where we are.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Steelhead16

Hornqvist carried the offense when there was NONE from anyone else. That could have been the time that the team went back in it's shell and went away. He was the one to step up and drag everyone else with him.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:27 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

I voted for Dan Ellis. He's strong when he needs to be, is a great locker room presence, and never complains about not being the main starter. I know he wants to be which is why I have a sinking feeling he won't be here come July, but the guy has a fantastic attitude. He's also a good goaltender when he gets going, has made some amazing saves and really pulled our butts out of bad situations this season. It's been said before but I'll say it again, we are spoiled to have two great goaltenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
seriously, people?

its not even close.

He was my second choice.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:10 PM
token grinder

i voted suter. then i read the posts and saw glenn did. we agree too much lately. now i want to vote anyone but suter

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
OpenWheel

I didn't like seeing the leading point getter without a single vote, so I fixed that. Erat had a hot couple weeks mid-winter when we weren't as balanced yet on our scoring and that really helped. And Erat and Arnott have done well with Wilson since he joined them.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-22-2010 at 05:40 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 06:17 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
When I think of Predator hockey, I think gritty, two-way, never quit hockey. Hornqvist eximplies that for me. I always notice when he's on the ice. Either finishing a check, forechecking hard, backchecking, etc. He's not flashy and never tries to do too much. He goes to the dirty areas and excels there. He's been in a variety of roles in his first full NHL season and as done them all well, IMO. He, like Rinne at times has carried this team. He scored goals when our "superstars" couldn't/havn't. He's gotten top line minutes and produced. He got fourth line minutes and still produced. You can't ask for much more from this guy.

I would give Rinne a second place vote. Ward a possible third.

Had Wilson been playing the way he is now for the entire season, I think he would get alot of votes.
+1

Amazing what Hornqvist has done with a limited skillset. There's not a player on our team that plays with more pure determination.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote