HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Book recommendations on how to play

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
  #1
gintonic
Registered User
 
gintonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Book recommendations on how to play

I know there have been other topics started regarding hockey books, but didn't find anything strictly regarding books on how to play and strategies, etc. Does anyone have recommendations on books that are great for learning strategies and how to play certain situations?

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
  #2
ahabian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Peking
Country: Sweden
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
For coaching, or just general understanding of systems?

I've only read Hockey Plays & Strategies, but that was a nice introduction (and at times above me).

ahabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
  #3
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,914
vCash: 500
I'm curious to see responses. I have several books and none of them have been all that helpful.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
  #4
gintonic
Registered User
 
gintonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabian View Post
For coaching, or just general understanding of systems?

I've only read Hockey Plays & Strategies, but that was a nice introduction (and at times above me).
Either really. I would assume if you're reading a good book on how to coach hockey, you should also be getting stuff out of it to apply to your own playing.

Who's the author of that 'Hockey Plays & Strategies' you mentioned?

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 03:17 PM
  #5
ahabian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Peking
Country: Sweden
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gintonic View Post
Either really. I would assume if you're reading a good book on how to coach hockey, you should also be getting stuff out of it to apply to your own playing.

Who's the author of that 'Hockey Plays & Strategies' you mentioned?
It was co-authored by Ryan Walter and Mike Johnston.

It certainly helped me get a better feel for a lot of things. Most of what I took from it was positioning and things like that (I don't play in a team with a coach, so there's really no system, but I'm definitely more aware of the good places to be in thanks to this book), but it's also good for strategic pruposes; when to dump it in, when to support, when to go, and so on. I found the descriptions a bit heavy to read, but then again, I am Swedish, so most of the lingo doesn't apply to the game over here.

ahabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 04:46 AM
  #6
AvDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Littleton, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Books? What are these things called "books" you speak of? I don't have any hockey books, but I follow a couple of really good hockey blogs that have helped me out a lot!

For strategies and drills:
Weiss Tech Hockey - http://weisstechhockey.com/blog/
Coach Nielsen's Blog - http://coachnielsen.wordpress.com/

For skating, shooting and individual skills:
How To Hockey - http://howtohockey.com/
HockeyShare blog - http://www.hockeyshare.com/blog/

The great things about blogs is that you can ask the authors questions and they'll more than likely answer them for you while those "book" things just sit there.

Also checkout U.S.A. Hockey's American Development Model. It's geared toward kids, but it works for anyone.

Good luck!

AvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 10:21 AM
  #7
Khabby
Registered User
 
Khabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,452
vCash: 500
Not so much for hockey strategies itself, But when I started to learn to skate I picked up a copy of Laura Stamm's Power Skating. Its helpful in telling you what technic to use, and how you should be doing it. But its never really about how helpful or good the book it, Its about if you understand it or can take anything from it since reading is a different way from learning first hand off someone else.

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 11:03 AM
  #8
elevation
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
Ryan Walter's Hockey Plays and... is out in a 2010 release, love it.
The Hockey Play Book, Michael A. Smith, 2005..good too

elevation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:43 AM
  #9
gintonic
Registered User
 
gintonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khabby View Post
Not so much for hockey strategies itself, But when I started to learn to skate I picked up a copy of Laura Stamm's Power Skating. Its helpful in telling you what technic to use, and how you should be doing it. But its never really about how helpful or good the book it, Its about if you understand it or can take anything from it since reading is a different way from learning first hand off someone else.
I agree with this, for just the skating aspect (which is obviously very important to play the sport) this is a definite read.

My original question really was getting at understanding the theory of the play, for instance under certain situations where each position should be playing, how to work together with the other positions, etc.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
  #10
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,137
vCash: 500
http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Handboo.../dp/1552091279

Out of print, but I love it.

__________________
"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
"I learned not to question Cowbell's willingness to ban." - Brian Boyle
Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
  #11
densetsu
 
densetsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
http://www.amazon.ca/Howie-Meekers-h...6005375&sr=8-1

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 10:18 PM
  #12
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,914
vCash: 500
I have that book! Fun read. Good skating drills and general passing/stickhandling advice. Literally zero words on shooting.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 03:23 AM
  #13
elevation
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
The OP looks for plays and strategies...old books use 2 line passes, so their forward and neutral plays are often useless...

elevation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 08:40 AM
  #14
gintonic
Registered User
 
gintonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabian View Post
It was co-authored by Ryan Walter and Mike Johnston.

It certainly helped me get a better feel for a lot of things. Most of what I took from it was positioning and things like that (I don't play in a team with a coach, so there's really no system, but I'm definitely more aware of the good places to be in thanks to this book), but it's also good for strategic pruposes; when to dump it in, when to support, when to go, and so on. I found the descriptions a bit heavy to read, but then again, I am Swedish, so most of the lingo doesn't apply to the game over here.
ok, I picked this one up at a Borders recently and have to say that it does help in understanding conceptually what the different positions should be doing in certain situations (Hockey Plays and Strategies, by Ryan Walter)

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:14 PM
  #15
TinofGrizz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
I was a big fan of "hockey for dummies". Might not be exactly what you are looking for but it did help me out a lot in the workout department. Also there are a few drills in there that I still run the kids through in practice.

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 09:26 AM
  #16
LTNINGFan
 
LTNINGFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ringgold, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LTNINGFan Send a message via Yahoo to LTNINGFan
I am glad I clicked this post. I am going to try my first ice season in March, and since I am so used to positioning from inline, I need to know where to be on ice. Hockey Plays And Strategies is a must for me then...

Seeing it on TV or in person, versus actually being out there are two totally different worlds for me

LTNINGFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
  #17
gintonic
Registered User
 
gintonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinofGrizz View Post
I was a big fan of "hockey for dummies". Might not be exactly what you are looking for but it did help me out a lot in the workout department. Also there are a few drills in there that I still run the kids through in practice.
I had always just assumed that "Hockey for Dummies" was just for those that are new to the sport that don't really know anything about it.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:54 PM
  #18
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,584
vCash: 500
Picked up Hockey Plays and Strategies (2010 edition) today at Chapters for $20. Probably will start reading it tomorrow as there was a game on tonight.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.