HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster building thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Interesing thought, Corvo was the backup plan. I think George kicked the tires of all the available defensemen that he thought would help our team. I tend to agree thats what TO wanted, and indeed why it didnt get done. But Flash in the deal, makes me question that, actually. Maybe they wanted Fehr and we countered with Flash. Kaberle does give the two cup win window that lends credence to the deal.

Maybe its in Alzner's fate that he ends up playing in Canada somewhere.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:36 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Ok...lets go this route.

Lets say that deal did happened. Flash, Alzner, pick for Kaberle.

Lets say the other two deals happened. Belanger and Walker.

Do the Caps have a better shot at winning the cup with Kaberle over Corvo...this year and next (Since Kaberle has that extra year)?
I think that depends on what McPhee does with the difference in salary cap hits. How does Kaberle's extra year effect the structure of the team next season. It depends on how much better Green and Schultz are next season and how much of an impact Carlson and Alzner has next season.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It will be interesting to see how the offseaon plays out, because I'd lay money the Caps tender an offer for Volchenkov, probably in the $4.5M to $5M range annually. That and the Backstrom / Semin raises take a big bite out of the cap, only partially offset by the subtraction of Theodore and Nylander (demotion) and the UFA departures.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
sk84fun_dc

I find it easy to believe that Burke and McPhee discussed Kaberle and that Corvo was not McPhee's first choice among dmen that are considered to be available at the deadline; I find it very difficult to believe that the offer as reported (all 3 pieces) was offered by McPhee and if it was that it would have been turned down by Burke. In general, I agree with Drake's take on how this particular rumor formed and is being reported now.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I get all of that, but A) I'm still not a Fehr believer, B) the salary difference between RFAs and UFAs isn't as much as some people make it out to be, and C) Filatov is a potential replacement for Semin, not Fehr or Flash. The only way the Caps are going to get their hands on top 10 talent in a draft any time soon is if they trade for it, and Filatov appears to be available.
Good points. Where I might be tempted to deal is a Semin for Filatov plus swap at the draft (say, Filatov and a first rounder). That frees up money to spend on defense, and probably lands a nice sweetener to boot, be it futures or one solid player.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:45 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
It will be interesting to see how the offseaon plays out, because I'd lay money the Caps tender an offer for Volchenkov, probably in the $4.5M to $5M range annually. That and the Backstrom / Semin raises take a big bite out of the cap, only partially offset by the subtraction of Theodore and Nylander (demotion) and the UFA departures.
Anyone think there is even the remotest of chances that McPhee keeps Theodore?

There has to be a scenario where it happens. I don't see it straight off, though. If Theo plays the Caps all the way to the cup, no way McPhee gives him the contact that the Flyers or someone else puts down on him. If they don't win the cup because of his play falling off, they won't want to keep him.

As we sit right now, Varly is in a funk and Neuvirth is hurt again. Does McPhee still go that route next season?

Old
03-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Sure. If the Caps have a very deep run (at least the Conference Finals) and they play Theodore for about 90% of the playoffs, Theodore could return. It would force a painful trade, but it could happen.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Like Drake said, it'll take a deep run with him getting most of the ice time.

Old
03-22-2010, 03:20 PM
txpd

See...what I see is if Theodore plays well enough to answer his critics of being unreliable with a quality playoff run, I don't see how McPhee can/would be willing to resign him.

A stretch run/playoff run could get him a Huet contract from a desperate team. Caps win the Cup, signing the Cup winning goalie is a splash. Meanwhile the Caps have Varly and Neuvirth who they might be willing to wait one season for, but a big playoff performance earns Jose more than a 1 year contract.

Old
03-22-2010, 03:22 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Caps win the cup...I don't think he comes back. Job is done. Roll with the kids from there out.

Now if he gets to the ECF and loses in 6 or 7 games....you might think about it for a year or two deal.

Old
03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Never say never. But it would take some moves and sacrificing offensive talent.

WRT Theo re-signing

Old
03-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Good points. Where I might be tempted to deal is a Semin for Filatov plus swap at the draft (say, Filatov and a first rounder). That frees up money to spend on defense, and probably lands a nice sweetener to boot, be it futures or one solid player.
I'd certainly be on board for that trade from a Caps perspective, but I doubt Columbus would.

Old
03-22-2010, 03:50 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

If they win the cup....I wont even care.

I'll be drunk for about a month straight and won't even think about hockey related move, RFA's, UFA's, arbitration hearings....nothing.

It'll be glorious.

Old
03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'd certainly be on board for that trade from a Caps perspective, but I doubt Columbus would.
I agree. The Jackets would essentially be trading Filatov and a 1st for one year of Semin. I don't think there's any possible way they'd be able to pay Semin what he's going to be looking for unless Bill Gates buys the Blue Jackets. For a team in their position (self-imposed salary cap, not envisioned as a strong Cup contender next season), I don't see them making a move like that.

Mod: Looks like this post didn't get the message about moving. Can you send him over to the new thread? Thanks.

Last edited by Stewie G: 03-22-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: I'm lost!
Old
03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Don't fixate on the first rounder. Wouldn't have to be a first rounder, or even a 2010 first rounder.

Some kind of addition to that core deal. Filatov + for Semin.

Old
03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
If they win the cup....I wont even care.

I'll be drunk for about a month straight and won't even think about hockey related move, RFA's, UFA's, arbitration hearings....nothing.

It'll be glorious.
Agreed.

And let me add that re-signing him would be dumb. Beyond dumb no matter if he helps bring a ring (assuming the contract he'd want/earn)

Old
03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Langway
Intangibles

For your off-day enjoyment. (More or less a continuation of this thread.)

I'd take a flier on Filatov if the price is right but, again, center seems like a higher priority. Even if you're bullish on Johansson (or Perreault or Eakin), they're all seemingly some time away from being a legit second-line option for a contending team. (And the later two might be better wingers at the NHL level.) Rather than contingency plan for Semin's departure I think they'd be better served filling a more immediate need. That requires the right fit lining up, of course. I tend to think the easiest position to find replacements for are wingers and they're not necessarily going to need all-stars...just solid fits like Knuble has been.

The acquisition of Chimera (even factoring in the departure of Clark, etc.) leads me to posit that it will be Fleischmann as their draft day / off-season trade chip now that he'll due a raise and in light of their depth at LW. For all of the mention that Semin & Laich will be pending UFAs in the summer of '11, Fleischmann could be too if his next deal is settled via arbitration.

Last edited by Langway: 03-22-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old
03-22-2010, 04:09 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Lombardi strikes me as a Boudreau-type player for the 2C, if it's coming from outside of the organization.

I have a feeling guys within the organization (Flash, Perrault) will be given a legitimate shot to earn the position for next season, however.

Old
03-22-2010, 04:10 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Honestly....I think Johansson wins the job....if he comes over...which I expect he will.

Old
03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Or Koivu on a one-year deal if the money works for both sides.

I don't think internal options are there for next season. Fleischmann isn't consistent or tenacious enough. Had Perreault stayed up then maybe but that's a lot of ask of a rookie on a contending team. Johansson does seem to have the maturity to take on such a tall task but I'd think they'd want another fallback plan in the mix at the very least if that's their hope.

Much of this stuff becomes easier to sift through once their season is over...and hopefully that's a long way off.

Old
03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I have a pretty terrifying image of the center lineup next season behind Backstrom:

Fleischmann-Steckel-Gordon

I really hope Belanger proves his worth at 3C in the postseason, and they bring him back at a reasonable rate. A 3rd line of Chimera-Belanger-Fehr really gives you some leeway with the 2nd line

Old
03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Honestly....I think Johansson wins the job....if he comes over...which I expect he will.
While I think there's a chance he could and won't really argue against your post, I don't think its within GMGM's nature to enter camp without a vet option for the 2C position. And therefore to start the season BB will be more inclined to give that spot to the vet.

However one of the rooks can win the 3rd spot (if they keep it as a scoring role) and then over a 5 game period perhaps BB will shift around if one of the rooks outplays the vet.

Old
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

A lot of this discussion hinders on the Cup run.

They win it...scenarios change....kids likely play. They don't...they re-tool to make another deep run. Either way...they are still a contender.

Old
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
For your off-day enjoyment. (More or less a continuation of this thread.)

I'd take a flier on Filatov if the price is right but, again, center seems like a higher priority. Even if you're bullish on Johansson (or Perreault or Eakin), they're all seemingly some time away from being a legit second-line option for a contending team. (And the later two might be better wingers at the NHL level.) Rather than contingency plan for Semin's departure I think they'd be better served filling a more immediate need. That requires the right fit lining up, of course. I tend to think the easiest position to find replacements for are wingers and they're not necessarily going to need all-stars...just solid fits like Knuble has been.

The acquisition of Chimera (even factoring in the departure of Clark, etc.) leads me to posit that it will be Fleischmann as their draft day / off-season trade chip now that he'll due a raise and in light of their depth at LW. For all of the mention that Semin & Laich will be pending UFAs in the summer of '11, Fleischmann could be too if his next deal is settled via arbitration.
You successfully confused the hell out of me. I was like...how the hell did I miss this thread for an entire day?

Might as well turn it into the off-season movement thread when the time comes...

03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Success! (This broad field of conversation needed a thread of its own rather than going in a somewhat catch-all News & Notes thread.)

Like I said, it's somewhat hard to gauge things at this point. They've got Ovechkin & Green locked up for a while. Now they need to eventually sign Backstrom for as long as possible and perhaps work in extensions to Laich this summer & a modestly cap-friendly new deal to Fehr as well. That would be my list of priorities at this point.

Last edited by Langway: 03-22-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Closed Thread