HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acquisitions/Cap management/Roster building thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
All that article asserts is that Everson thinks he's probably gone. That's mere speculation on Everson's part, who I never liked as much as Chere when I would read the Star Ledger in high school. Yet the discussion point raised Devils fans' predictions as to Martin's worth on the open market. Those numbers seemed awfully low.

I think you can discuss Martin and his worth without giving credence to the idea that Everson thinks he is gone, and that separation is what they were doing in the thread.

Raises the interesting question as to the worth of perhaps the best defenseman on the UFA market this summer.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
sk84fun_dc

I wasn't saying I have an issue with a discussion about the chances Martin stays and his value if he stays with the Devils and on the open market. Sorry if it read like that, I think it's a worthwhile discussion.

I haven't looked at that Devils section thread in detail, just skimmed it. I did follow the link to Everson's blurb and laughed at the part about the Devils not retaining UFAs after a certain date given both Elias and Langenbrunner re-upped with the Devils after July 1 UFA season started (soon after, but after). Everson and Devils coverage - not worth reading. Chere at Star Ledger and Gulitti at the Bergen Record are the ones to read..and IMO, Gulitti

FWIW, I have little doubt that Lamoriello will want to keep Martin; the question is does Martin want to stay and at what price (cap hit and term) and does he want to see what the open market looks like before making his decision.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's hard to say where Martin is concerned. Is he ambitious, and/or is his agent clueing him in to the opportunities out there? This guy is a stud, and one whose past salary has been at a team discount. The Devils prompt loyalty more often than not, but I wonder at what point the discount gets too costly for the player side? That Rolston contract is a hindrance right about now, but you make him fit at $6M, I should think, if you're Lamoriello.

"..and IMO, Gulitti" Gulitti, what? Not familiar with him. He came after my time in Jersey, and/or I never read the Record, just the local county sheet and the Star Ledger.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Foy

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/

Gulliti

Old
04-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Right, but not the link; what is the take on him compared to the competition?

Old
04-01-2010, 02:21 PM
sk84fun_dc

Yes, the Rolston contract is not good and the Pandolfo one isn't helping at this point in his career either.

Lamoriello has done a nice job when he's locked up his RFAs, IMO; he often uses the escalating contracts where the salary is a lot closer to the player's market value in the last year compared to if you only looked at the cap hit and sometimes under market if that was a UFA season that he bought in advance but closer to market value. See Martin, Parise and Zajac, for examples.

Moving the 3.5M Oduya cap hit helps the Devils as it relates to retaining Martin, if Martin wants to stay. For Martin as has been noted in most of the coverage, he missed out on a huge opportunity this season in terms of putting up numbers and playing on the Olympic stage, but I'd think most teams would value adding a player like Martin to their line-up.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Right, but not the link; what is the take on him compared to the competition?
my girlfriend is a Devils fan, and she has that site bookmarked on my computer so that she can get to it quickly when she visits me. It is the only site she has bookmarked on my computer. That's all the endorsement I need. He really is better than the others. Not necessarily always the first to report something, but always the most accurate.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:28 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
It's hard to say where Martin is concerned. Is he ambitious, and/or is his agent clueing him in to the opportunities out there? This guy is a stud, and one whose past salary has been at a team discount. The Devils prompt loyalty more often than not, but I wonder at what point the discount gets too costly for the player side? That Rolston contract is a hindrance right about now, but you make him fit at $6M, I should think, if you're Lamoriello.

"..and IMO, Gulitti" Gulitti, what? Not familiar with him. He came after my time in Jersey, and/or I never read the Record, just the local county sheet and the Star Ledger.
Sorry...what I was trying to say...IMO, if you are only going to follow one writer that covers the Devils, Gulitti is the one I recommend.

Gulitti provides very good coverage in his articles, but even more so in particular in his blog that Foy linked. IMO, he doesn't try to be controversial just for hits, etc., but he's interactive in the comments section and he isn't afraid to express his opinion, but he makes it clear it is just his opinion as it relates to things like players the team should or will target, etc. He's covered hockey in the New York area for the B. Record for more than 10 years now.

Ha, I'm old, back in the day, it was Sherry Ross that covered the Devils for the Bergen Record.

More OT: IMO, Chere's coverage has gone downhill over the years, too.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:33 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ughhhhh....Sherry Ross.

She does the color on the WFAN broadcasts. I really can't stand her much whenever I listen in while driving around at night.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Foy

Is Sherry Ross the same person that does radio commentary for them? I'm pretty sure the chick has a name like "Sherry."

Ha, strung answered as I was typing. She's simply awful.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:35 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

"Awful" is being nice.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:40 PM
sk84fun_dc

Yes, Sherry Ross has covered hockey in the NJ/NY area for years and currently works on the radio for the Devils. I haven't heard a lot of the Devils radio since she took over, but she's not as bad as some of the people they have had in the past. But my comment was about an earlier time in her career, she did a good job as a beat writer in the '80s for the Record; can't say that I read her work for the Daily News, which I believe is where she worked after the Record. This is also not her first stint working for the Devils.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
my girlfriend is a Devils fan, and she has that site bookmarked on my computer so that she can get to it quickly when she visits me. It is the only site she has bookmarked on my computer. That's all the endorsement I need. He really is better than the others. Not necessarily always the first to report something, but always the most accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Sorry...what I was trying to say...IMO, if you are only going to follow one writer that covers the Devils, Gulitti is the one I recommend.

Gulitti provides very good coverage in his articles, but even more so in particular in his blog that Foy linked. IMO, he doesn't try to be controversial just for hits, etc., but he's interactive in the comments section and he isn't afraid to express his opinion, but he makes it clear it is just his opinion as it relates to things like players the team should or will target, etc. He's covered hockey in the New York area for the B. Record for more than 10 years now.

Ha, I'm old, back in the day, it was Sherry Ross that covered the Devils for the Bergen Record.

More OT: IMO, Chere's coverage has gone downhill over the years, too.
Thanks. Chere was the old media guy I followed in the early 90s, and it sounds like Fire and Ice is the emergent media leader right now.

I think I might remember Ross, now that you mention it.

Old
04-01-2010, 02:48 PM
sk84fun_dc

To say on in OT, regardless of what team you follow, Mike Russo's blog at the Star Tribune is worth reading from time to time. If you are looking for good Devils coverage, Gulitti's Fire and Ice blog and his articles are the place to go.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Russo tweets entire games. No relevance. Just amusing. He's a walking, talking box score.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:08 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Russo tweets entire games. No relevance. Just amusing. He's a walking, talking box score.
I referenced his blog not his Twitter account.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:09 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I had to stop following him...f'ing twitter overload with that guy.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:12 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I had to stop following him...f'ing twitter overload with that guy.
Well, you could take your own advice about not just looking places that require 140 words or less

I have stopped following a few people on twitter due to the types of tweets and/or RT'ing other accounts I already follow.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I've subscribed, unsubscribed and back three or four times with Russo. It usually falls in line with long Wild homestands, oddly enough.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:16 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

F'ing Twitter serves it purpose...I've come to accept its usefulness and entertainment value.

Newspaper blogs...different story.

Anyways...Martin...meh. Other options.

Old
04-01-2010, 03:21 PM
sk84fun_dc

Understandable about Russo's twitter account, but again my comment earlier was about his blog entries not his tweets.

Old
04-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...y-country.html

that says if we will trade for Radulov's rights, we will get him. right around Semin's contract expires.

Old
04-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Kesselisboss

Kaberle's Worth to Washington

At the deadline apperently the deal was Fleichmann/ Fehr, Alzner and a 1st for Kaberle...Still worth it? Not worth it? More than worth it? your powerplay would be even scarier with him and green together.

Old
04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesselisboss View Post
At the deadline apperently the deal was Fleichmann/ Fehr, Alzner and a 1st for Kaberle...Still worth it? Not worth it? More than worth it? your powerplay would be even scarier with him and green together.
It was never worth it.

That's way too much to give up to acquire a poor man's mike green. The Caps got a serviceable mobile dman in Corvo and still retained all those assets.

Old
04-04-2010, 05:23 PM
andrewtabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesselisboss View Post
Not even close to worth it

Closed Thread