HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robert Esche....Conn Smythe Candidate?

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2004, 09:19 PM
FlyersFan10*

vCash: 500
Robert Esche....Conn Smythe Candidate?

OK, let me first say that Robert has been awesome so far during the playoffs. The fact that he outplayed the greatest money goalie in the game right now and is in the midst of outplaying one of the other goaltending greats in the league, would it be fair to say that the league should start considering Conn Smythe candidates and would Robert be your choice from the Flyers? I figure that since we've had so many issues with goaltending in the past, we may have finally got it right and we've got someone who has really taken the ball and run with it. I do realize that it is still rather early in the playoffs, but I figured I'd just throw this out for argument's sake.

Old
04-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Raging Bull

They've never awarded it to a player unless they get to the Finals, so hold onto your horses.

Old
04-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
They've never awarded it to a player unless they get to the Finals, so hold onto your horses.
Agreed. It would take nothing short of a trip to the finals to get considered. But, if the Flyers do make it that far he should be considered.

Old
04-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
Agreed. It would take nothing short of a trip to the finals to get considered. But, if the Flyers do make it that far he should be considered.
Agreed also. Even though Giguere was amazing in the first three rounds last year, if he wouldn't have made it to the Finals, he wouldn't have won. If Philly was to win the cup, Esche would be the obvious choice, along with Priemeau and Zhamnov.

Old
04-25-2004, 10:25 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
If the Flyers win the Cup, then yeah, Esche will be hoisting the Conn Smythe.

Old
04-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Fan-of-#9

I think the title of the thread is a joke considering you're not even half way to the Cup, but I will definetly say that Esche was very impressive tonight, basically the difference in the game. Great job at the end weathering the late flurries.

Old
04-26-2004, 04:01 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
From TSN:

Esche has won six of his seven playoff starts, allowing just 11 goals on 205 shots. The 26-year-old Esche has bested two goalies that have won four Stanley Cups combined, including three championships for Brodeur, the reigning Vezina Trophy winner.

No question that the groundwork is laid for Esche to be considered, but he HAS to at least get to the finals to have a shot at the Conn Smythe.

If the Flyers actually go on to win the Cup and Zhamnov continues at his current scoring pace (10 pts. in 7 games thus far), Alexei could also be in the running.

But there is ALOT of work ahead....and I'm sure each and every Flyer would give up any chance at receiving personal awards in exchange for the opportunity to drink from the ultimate team trophy.

Old
04-27-2004, 04:57 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
BTW, two other goaltenders that have to be in the Conn Smythe running are TBs Khabibulin (6 wins-1 loss in 7 games, 0.71 GAA) and SJs Nabokov (7 wins-1 loss in 8 games, 1.35 GAA). Esche is 6 wins-1 loss in 7 games, 1.58 GAA.

Dark horse candidates might be:

CuJo in Detroit with a 1.15 GAA, but he has only played 4 games so far.

Belfour in Toronto, if the Leafs can come back and beat the Flyers. He is 1.72 in 9 games, but with a 4 wins-5 loss record.

Old
04-30-2004, 12:08 PM
RADU

a round of applause for the idea
its wishful thinking but.. not too too far away

Old
05-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
what about primeau? he came up huge tonight when it was really important and has been a solid checker against stars on the opposing team. he's been a force and should get consideration [along with esche] imo.

Old
05-02-2004, 10:49 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker 25
BTW, two other goaltenders that have to be in the Conn Smythe running are TBs Khabibulin (6 wins-1 loss in 7 games, 0.71 GAA) and SJs Nabokov (7 wins-1 loss in 8 games, 1.35 GAA). Esche is 6 wins-1 loss in 7 games, 1.58 GAA.

Dark horse candidates might be:

CuJo in Detroit with a 1.15 GAA, but he has only played 4 games so far.

Belfour in Toronto, if the Leafs can come back and beat the Flyers. He is 1.72 in 9 games, but with a 4 wins-5 loss record.
I don't think the Lightening have really been tested at all in the playoffs, so it's not like Khabibulin is stealing games left and right for them
I'll put my money on Kipprusof as I have him in my pool

Closed Thread